Roll Call
1 members (razsolo, razsolo), 32 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #1 (2019) - SPOILERS
Nightcrawler #978544 11/06/19 12:22 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Sook's ads to get the book on Facebook -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Monster Boy turns into monsters, apparently.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 11/06/19 12:23 PM.
Nightcrawler #978547 11/06/19 05:25 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I'm guessing MB will have 1 or more specific monster forms he can turn into, which will give him specific powers and will differentiate him from Cham.

Nightcrawler #978553 11/06/19 08:33 PM
Active
Active
I am relieved to say that I absolutely LOVED the first issue of The Legion!
I liked that we are getting to meet this new version of the Legion 3 or 4 members at a time (Jo, Drake, Val and Thom this issue), and the other members having a say here and there. I like this pace the best because you get to know the new personalities gradually, over the first few issues. I already know I'm going to like Karate Kid for his cornyness and Star Boy for his "history buff" hobby.

This version of Saturn Girl seems warmer than most previous versions. It's a refreshing change in my opinion.
I'll add more comments about this issue as I think of them .... after a few more re-reads! wink

I am very happy that I can say, with complete sincerity, that I cannot WAIT to read the next issue .... and that says a lot for this long-time fan!

Last edited by Catonyx; 11/06/19 08:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

In the present
Nightcrawler #978554 11/06/19 08:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I like LSH #1. And I'm wearing my new Legion ring while I'm typing this.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Nightcrawler #978556 11/06/19 09:45 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Forgot to mention this, but when the villain is talking about eating children, I was kind of expecting/hoping for one of the Legionnaires to throw in something like "Eat this, Grandpa!" or some such variation on the threeboot slogan!

Nightcrawler #978557 11/06/19 09:59 PM
Deputy
Deputy
The 17YO and I both very much enjoyed Wildfire—snarky, sassy, but less of a jerk than when Levitz wrote him. The kid was also pleased to see the greater diversity of body types. We like the look of Timber Wolf, even tho he’s more bear than wolf. I enjoyed the book starting with a team in action. I just wish we could have seen Star Boy and Karate Kid use their abilities. I’m sure at some point, Mordru will be more formidable. But, I sure enjoyed his deliciously evil evilness. I thought I would be more upset about the shattered earth, but, it’s kind of cool looking, gotta say. And, honestly, it’s a perfect metaphor of gen Y kids born into post 9/11 world. It’s just the world to them, they haven’t known anything else, and it’s a logical contrast with Jon, who feels the calamitous horror of it.

I get the annoyance of 21C references. But, tbh, some of my favorite memories of the original Legion had historical callbacks, from Supergirl’s initiation, to the bat cave in the Computo story, to the Tornado Twins, to the Great Darkness. DC has decided the way to make the Legion successful is with tie ins to the present day. I’m willing to give Bendis the benefit of the doubt that he will come up with plenty of new ideas and new twists on old ones. I guess I hope for a Legion with a wide-open universe, not a narrowly circumscribed world the way too many genre properties are these days.

I really like this Saturn Girl. She’s still clearly in charge, but she’s warm and engaging. I’m glad Bouncing Boy is friendly and ready for action. I’m wondering why one of Triplicate Girl’s selves knows something that another one doesn’t. I’m intrigued by Fate’s four arms. I do wish there were an identifiable HQ building, as much as I love Sook’s plethora of techno towers. I’m eager to see how Phantom Girl uses her halo as a weapon. I hate waiting 4 weeks for the next ish.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Nightcrawler #978568 11/07/19 12:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
What I liked about this issue:
A visual feast, fascinating backgrounds - up until now, we've mostly seen just the characters
Lots of unknowns to pique interest - I wish I had the first 12 issues to read now
Focus on a few characters to begin with - and not the old panel hogs of the founders & Brainy
Jo Nah is not a dope! A bit reckless, but that's okay. Rimbor may not be the red light district of the U.P., but it's not without problems
Karate Kid is enthusiastic, Wildfire is talkative but not obnoxious, Brainy's not a jerk,
Agree that Saturn Girl is very likeable - formal, in charge but no ice maiden
New take on Mordru (he's powered down, but he's been powered down in the past) and a major new threat, the Horraz
There's a running joke about Superboy's orientation, but it sounds authentic, not overplayed

I still have some concerns about all the links to the 21st century, but at this point they're more interesting than not

Disliked:
Yeah, the final page wasn't much of a cliffhanger, more like a Levitz/Baxter era epilogue. The cliffhanger came on the previous page. The final page tells us that the kids are probably in trouble with the U.P. for bringing Superboy to the future, not a big surprise. Not really a dislike, more of an indifference.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Nightcrawler #978569 11/07/19 01:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Legion v8 #1

SPOILERS

FROM

THE

FUTURE…

The widening scope, built through the issue, gives Bendis a lot of craft points. We’re introduced to Ultra Boy alone, then to Wildfire, Star Boy and Val. Then, there’s a pause with Imra and Jon traveling into the future, before we get immersed by seeing everyone on the team. Bendis uses Jon’s (must stop typing Kal) concern over being trapped in a bottle city, to widen things further still, giving us a view across a city and then the planet.

Jon’s introduction was well done. He’s an inspiration but fits in as well as Clark did with the old Legion. Imra describes herself as a founding member of the Legion. But Clark is also joining them on the team’s founding day. It’s odd to rub it in that he’s being invited in five minutes later.

I enjoyed the prologue that not only set up the first storyline, but allowed the reader to build up to meeting the whole team. I’m not sure why there as a need to have a little bit of mystery behind the super strong character at the start. Perhaps we were to think it was Superboy already? Or Mon El? But it was a good introduction to Ultra Boy, who looked like he’d stepped out of a pulp in a couple of panels (a good thing). He seems to know a lot more about the artefact in the issue’s capabilities than the others.

Bendis also gets lots of points for enfolding so many versions of the Legion in this opener. The shiny, bright future of the Adventure and Levitz days; the city sized HQ as a nod to the Post-boot’s Legion World; The number of possible people who are part of it which captures the spirit of the threeboot and the New Earth itself, which we saw in the closing and post TMK days of the preboot.

It looks as though the present DCU is going to inform this book to begin with, judging by the covers to come. Here, we get Bludhaven, Aquaman’s trident and, of course, Superboy. I’m not up to date with other DC books. But I recall that Aquaman was involved with some sort of gateway system (Presumably an explanation on how he could get round the world so quickly while doing the breaststroke). It looks as though the trident acts as an activator of those gateways, and that this will return to oceans to the New Earth we see (and not sea) in this issue. Sort of like the end of Dark City, with Mordru playing the role of Mr Hand.

With the expansion of the cast, there’s also a visual shift vertically as well. We start in the caverns under Bludhaven, get to the surface to meet the team. Then it’s up above the city, followed by the world. Then the team descend back to HQ, and the last segment takes place in a structure that points back down towards a pit.

Mordru as a Demon Gangster seems like a bit of a step down for him. But then, this is the formation of the Legion, and some of them, like Wildfire, look to have a bit to learn too. Perhaps both sides will develop over time. Mordru comes with plenty of cannon fodeer for a team this size to fight; The Horrors The Horrraz. Mordru also gives the kids a fair bit of time to get in some smart comments. I’d prefer a bit less of that and more of reminding the reader about the threats the team is up against. Mordru has murdered to get the artefact. But he does no damage at all to the Legionnaires. Books like the West Coast Avengers lost any kind of sense of threat, due to the volume of smart alec comments that the whole cast had to get through.

There are nice bits of dialogue, from Imra and Jon weaving in and out between telepathy and speech. Rokk and Drake’s misunderstanding of idioms. Something else you’d expect if they’re all form different planets, and now times.

Rose Forrest’s approach to the Legion HQ in Millennium is barely touched upon, as the plot brushes past her. It seems she’s keen to tell Superboy about it, rather than anyone else on the team. At least we now know why the whole team have assembled (other than it being their founding day). They’re also there to welcome Superboy. A little more on her would have made her appearance better than simply appearing and vanishing out of the book. It would have told people who hadn’t read Millennium that her appearance is significant.

There’s not a huge amount of plot movement in the book, but there’s only so much room if you’re also trying to show off a new century. It reminds me of the older Superman visiting the Adult Legion issue in Adventure, where he’s taken on a sight-seeing tour of the HQ. Aquaman’s trident, Mordru’s attempts to get it and Rose Forrest’s cameo give the book enough momentum. The solid craft of Bendis's pacing makes sure that there's enough speed to the point that the characters are constantly telling Superboy that their orientation pack would have explained things, if only things would stop happening for him to take a look.

While the cliffhanger seems to be a grumpy person, it’s more interesting wondering *why* time travel should be so high up the UP’s list of things not to do. Well, apart from the obvious, going back in time and replacing them. But then why was a time bubble available for Imra to use? Hopefully, this all forms part of what’s to come.

The possibility of the Legion pitted against the wishes of the UP sets things up a little like the Threeboot. Presumably it won’t be as full on as that iteration. But the UP has wanted to shut the legion down on a few occasions before that too. They’re in trouble if grumpy turns out to be Universo. smile

The art is really strong, with eye catching layouts, technology and character work. We’re a bit spoiled for great artists in Legion books, and this doesn’t disappoint. I got the feeling on a few pages that Bendis was dialoguing the art, rather than dictating precisely what would be on the page. That feeling will probably fade when the script has smaller groups and less of “draw a futuristic utopian landscape here.” smile

Overall, this is a strong start and I’m looking forward to #2.

I never used to get comics on a Wednesday. Then I had an advance order. But *this* time I was on hand, and skipped off with my free replica Flight Ring! It now sits beside my Legion World Walking Ring and Barrette.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Nightcrawler #978571 11/07/19 03:27 PM
Active
Active
I'm a bit ambivalent about the issue. The art is pretty and all, but often has the modern problem of being a bit hard to "read." Panels become so overstuffed with line and color that it's difficult to decipher what's actually depicted in each. The disjointed dialogue didn't help either and pages often took a second or third look to figure out even the order of the word balloons. Also, count me in the camp that's less than thrilled about the 21st century connections, but if they'll help bring in new readers, I'll grit my teeth and bear it.
With that said, the exuberance I mentioned a while back is still there and helps keep me interested. I like the overall look of the world. It's a nicely updated feel from Giffen's forward-looking designs of the '80s. The "New Earth" concept is an interesting callback to the 5YL era and I'm curious to see that unfold.
I'm in for the duration. I've said for years that what the LSH needs is a total re-imagining and that seems to be the direction that Bendis is leaning. I'm willing to give him the space to explore it and travel with him on that ride.

Nightcrawler #978576 11/07/19 04:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm ambivalent as well. I haven't read any comics regularly in about five years, so I'm not up to speed on the new Superboy. While I appreciate the originality in the character redesigns, I'm just curmudgeonly enough to say it doesn't feel like the Legion I knew and loved. Hopefully, a new generation of LSH fans will be created.

Last edited by SharkLad; 11/14/19 02:05 PM.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
doublechinner #978579 11/07/19 05:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Count me in the enjoyed it camp too. This is the kind of issue you want as a #1, packed full of fun, excitement and intriguing concepts that make the reader want more. as I often find with Bendis work it felt both overpacked/dragging and over far too soon. I guess that's good? Anyway yes I am much more pleased with this than I was with Millennium.
Originally Posted by doublechinner
I really like this Saturn Girl. She’s still clearly in charge, but she’s warm and engaging. I’m glad Bouncing Boy is friendly and ready for action. I’m wondering why one of Triplicate Girl’s selves knows something that another one doesn’t. I’m intrigued by Fate’s four arms. I do wish there were an identifiable HQ building, as much as I love Sook’s plethora of techno towers. I’m eager to see how Phantom Girl uses her halo as a weapon. I hate waiting 4 weeks for the next ish.

I agree with your positives about the characters, wonderfully stated, but your comment on Triplicate Girl had me carefully rereading the whole issue (not a bad thing). I guess you are referring to the bottom of page 20/21 where Blue Girl says "Oceans of what?" but I think the answer comes from Cosmic Boy not Yellow Girl. Oh and Karate Kid kicks Mordru in the head but I agree Star Boy didn't really get to contribute much except 21st Century quips and "I got thi-- Ow!".

It took me a couple of reads to notice the "Planet" Gotham references which seems to indicate that the opening scenes in Bludhaven actually occur on another planet, not New Earth, which the "away team" teleport back from.

Another thing I noticed was that the UP President might have been meant to seem even more upset at Aquaman's Trident than the time violation. (Looks like the assistant is mispronouncing Unity Day as United Day.) That final panel is a bit weird but I think it is meant to show her displeasure.

I wonder how long the Rose plot is going to be dragged out. By the preview cover for #2 it looks like the Trident is the centre of the next issue and knowing Bendis it might be quite a while before all is revealed. I'm having a bit of trouble fitting her scene in here with the one from Millennium. In Millennium she enters during a group shot of the Legion including Jon Kent and from Timber Wolf's comment there it is her first meeting with them. Here her dialogue suggests already having met them and yet she hadn't realised Jon was already here. Minor point. More significant is that she says she got a call from the "actual" President of the UP, and apparently needs to talk to Jon. Not sure how to reconcile that to the final scene of the President learning about the Legion retrieving Jon.

Oh and what is with the "Long Live Kandor" phrase and bowed heads? Another of Bendis' hooks which certainly hooked me.

Roll on next month.

SharkLad #978580 11/07/19 05:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by SharkLad
Hopefully, a new generation of LSH fans will be created.

That's my biggest hope too.

Nightcrawler #978596 11/08/19 01:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
the issue was good for showing personalities, but not powers or much else. Did Star Boy even get any shots in against Mordru?

the exposition felt clunky to me, and by the third time Superboy interrupted someone explaining something / answering his question I wanted to whack him on the head.

it felt like not much happened, sadly.

I do like the Legionnaire interactions (everyone jumping on Brainy for his joke, the EWWWW when Jon said his parents are each other’s best friends).

hopefully next issue gives us some nice action scenes.

Nightcrawler #978606 11/08/19 12:07 PM
Active
Active
The original art by Mr Sook for issue #1 (and some from Millenium too) went for sale an hour ago and it was gone so fast, i wasn't able to get anything...everything sold in a few minutes...

Last edited by Querl Dox; 11/08/19 12:10 PM.
Querl Dox #978607 11/08/19 12:38 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Querl Dox
The original art by Mr Sook for issue #1 (and some from Millenium too) went for sale an hour ago and it was gone so fast, i wasn't able to get anything...everything sold in a few minutes...

I had two pages in my cart and checked out and was later told someone beat me to it.

Nightcrawler #978609 11/08/19 12:53 PM
Active
Active
I actually enjoyed the first issue of Legion, after I resigned myself to the understanding that this is a new Legion and not a continuation of the original Legion that ended as the Retroboot Legion of the Levitz era in the New 52. I like the art. I’m fine with Jon Kent as the replacement for Superboy as the 21st century link. Crossing my fingers that this will be as good as Levitz’s Legion from back in the 1980’s.

Nightcrawler #978614 11/08/19 04:12 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Had been hoping to post a full review tonight, but I'm feeling poorly right now, so that'll have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday.

But I can sum it up in four words and one grading:

I expected much worse.

7 out of 10 Calorie Queens: CalorieQueen CalorieQueen CalorieQueen CalorieQueen CalorieQueen CalorieQueen CalorieQueen

(And how I dearly wish right now I had Calorie Queen's Bismollian metabolism. Urrrgh.)

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Nightcrawler #978622 11/09/19 12:20 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Get better soon Fickles.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Nightcrawler #978631 11/09/19 05:45 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thank you, Thoth.

Feeling somewhat improved as I type this.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Nightcrawler #978637 11/09/19 04:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Another new beginning. I'm happy to go along for the ride. What do Five Years Later, the Reboot, the Threeboot, and New 52 versions of the Legion have in common? They all ended too abruptly with so much story left to tell. The original Legion from the late 50s until Magic Wars went so many places, explored so many characters and left me feeling that the team's story was complete. Our fun little heroes' club had grown into a complex almost militaristic team of battle scarred adults fighting the good fight on instinct. Each following version had barely started the journey before falling victim to fickle markets, creative differences, or company wide demands for a shift in direction. Even with the premature endings, each version gave me characters that I enjoyed reading about, and lots and lots of pages by lots and lots of amazing artists.

So lets start with Sooks redesigns. Do they all match my vision of the character? Nope. Does the book look and feel fresh and interesting? Yes. Is the story being adequately told? Yes. Do I expect a Legion book to showcase a hot young talent learning, experimenting, making mistakes, sweating and giving it his or her all? You bet. It's the formula that always worked best for this team.

I like that the set up to the story emphasized the concept of the United Planets and its formation. It gives us a framework for good science fiction, and the Legion always worked best for me when the soap opera like character development of young super heroes played out against the backdrop of larger and thoughtful science fiction themes. The introduction of New Earth gives me the feeling that is the direction we're going. That's good.

The characters themselves. We're just beginning to get to know them. I'm pleased that Brainiac 5 has a silly and humorous side. More original version and less Vril Dox is fine with me. I enjoyed the banter between the boys on Planet Gotham. The characterization of Wildfire is fresh. More error prone and self effacing than previous versions, with some wit thrown in. I like it. Superboy is a likable character. Looking at the 30 plus characters on the big splash page at the end of the issue excites me. I know each one of them has a story, and I'm really curious to learn it. It's going to take a long time and many issues to tell all those stories. I hope the book gets the support it needs so I can learn as much as possible about these kids.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
Nightcrawler #978638 11/09/19 05:05 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I'm just loving reading everyone's reactions to this issue!

Nightcrawler #978642 11/09/19 06:05 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
It was ok for me.

I am not a fan of the blown apart Earth. But it seems like the first story arc is about putting it back together.

I am still unsure about the new visuals for the Legionnaires. What characterization there was was not bad.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Jerry #978644 11/09/19 09:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Jerry
Another new beginning. I'm happy to go along for the ride.

The characters themselves. We're just beginning to get to know them. ... Looking at the 30 plus characters on the big splash page at the end of the issue excites me. I know each one of them has a story, and I'm really curious to learn it. It's going to take a long time and many issues to tell all those stories. I hope the book gets the support it needs so I can learn as much as possible about these kids.

I didn't copy Jerry's entire post, but I agree with all he wrote. I'm ready to get to know these Legionnaires!

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Nightcrawler #978645 11/10/19 04:58 AM
Active
Active
I just read the #1.... Another Elseworlds with the name Legion Of Super-Heroes... Bendis stole many ideas from another writers and make his own combo.... (How original!) The art is not bad, but the redesigns of the characters is the worst in The Legion story... We'll see what happens in the future.... Maybe a second title with the classic Legion can save the illussion of the old fans...

From UK with glamour.
Nightcrawler #978646 11/10/19 06:38 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Really enjoyed this issue. The opening with Ultra Boy, etc. was a nice hook to start with. Nice it highlighted the guys positivity and humour - Karate Kid insisting they introduce themselves at first seemed odd but as they didn’t have those name tag things at that point kind of made sense. Perhaps the tags only work when they’re on their base? I get the feeling that Mordor will return bigger and badder - hope so as he looked great. Actually, Karate Kid and Star Boy are both great redesigns as well.

The introduction to the team was fun, excited kids talking over each other is pretty accurate really so Bendis got that right. Weird hand signs with the thumb over the first and middle finger and the ring and little finger extended was an interesting sight. Brainy’s joke actually was funny.

The sight of “Earth” was heartbreaking and I totally got Jon insisting they do something to fix it. From previews it seems the oceans will return so I wonder where?

Long live Kandor? Interesting....

Ultra Boy having to properly introduce himself and say he lives there shows the team are still getting together and as Imra says that city is their base we can understand why they won’t all know each other. Wonder if there will be a Threeboot type horde of l’il legionnaires hanging about?

Brainy examining the trident showed he has some scanner attached to his forehead which will be interesting to see how it’s taken further. What other tech does he have at hand (or head in this case).

The group shot at the end as the Horraz arrived was great, though hopefully there won’t be as many splash pages in future issues.

Madamhonour President is miffed, ah well the team always had a fractious relationship with the powers that be, which is what you would expect - a group of super powered teens running roughshod over the galaxy would rile the most patient elder.

Overall, a fun introduction. Looking forward to being properly introduced to the team and seeing where this boot takes us.

LLL

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,115
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania