Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/12/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Didio out...what does this mean for Legion?
#982188 02/23/20 06:33 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
He had some hits, and he had some misfires. I haven't seen the sales on Legion, so I don't know how it's doing, but Bendis was a favorite of his. Wonder what direction changes, if any at all, will be made. Thoughts?

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: Didio out...what does this mean for Legion?
rickshaw1 #982189 02/23/20 06:44 AM
Active
Active
I hope Bendis will be the next to go....

From UK with glamour.
rickshaw1 #982191 02/23/20 08:05 AM
Active
Active
I'm not sure what the direction for DC will be now that DiDio is gone. I have to believe that DC has their own "new vision of the creative future" or whatever, in the works already, so time will tell.

I was just not very satisfied with Dan's attitude about the LoSH in general. He didn't invest in them, never kept the flame going as it were, via the occasional guest appearance here or there (and I'm not talking about Batman/Saturn Girl/Arkham Asylum storyline), or something, anything like that. A few appearance as a team would have been good to remind fans and new readers that this team with decades of history is still "out there" and when the timing is right will soon be back. Perhaps in doing so, giving us readers some updates about what's been happening to the Legion since last we saw them. Fostering hope.....

Dan didn't promote this type of attitude for the Legion at all. Instead he saw them as a nuisance, and it probably even annoyed him whenever the subject of the Legion came up. So he swept them under the carpet and let others worry about if and when our beloved team would ever make some sort of comeback.
All we heard from him was platitudes like "the Legion deserves just the RIGHT set of circumstances for them to return", or something to that effect. What does that even mean?? It was lip serve plain and simple.

He could have actively consulted Paul Levitz to see what his hopes were for the continuation of the team. I am not happy with Levitz's way of leaving things they way he did, as well as some of the creative choices him made on his run during the team's last regular series a few years ago. Levitz did however leave the door open with some possible fates for the different members (as seen in the last few pages of the last issue) and the team as a whole.

My problem is that Dan didn't see the value to pursue this because he clearly did not feel connected to this team.
And boy did that show!

Let's hope whoever is in the driver's seat for DC now will see things for our Legion with a better, more positive angle. Hopefully he or she see the vast possibilities that the Legion mythos can bring to the future of DC machine.

In the present
rickshaw1 #982192 02/23/20 08:21 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I'm starting to see talk of AT&T just closing DC publishing and farming out enough publishing to keep the trademarks, but no real new material. This does not bode well for legion as it isn't part of the big three. I'm hoping it isn't true, but it does make money sense, and big corporations are only about one thing, money.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #982193 02/23/20 08:35 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
I'm starting to see talk of AT&T just closing DC publishing and farming out enough publishing to keep the trademarks, but no real new material. This does not bode well for legion as it isn't part of the big three. I'm hoping it isn't true, but it does make money sense, and big corporations are only about one thing, money.

Are you able to provide a link of some sort regarding this topic?

In the present
rickshaw1 #982199 02/23/20 10:29 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
It's own facebook. Several groups I'm own. I remember someone saying it started with EVS, but it popped up in a couple of other threads. Been looking through my facebook, but I'm not seeing it right now. If one gets a response and pops back up, I'll post it.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #982200 02/23/20 10:53 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #982205 02/23/20 12:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've been hearing that DC is gonna start focusing on different writers, including novelists and the people who've worked on their new YA books. I think John Ridley might be considered an option for writing Batman, and he wrote The American Way miniseries for Wildstorm. I mean, in all honesty if they're getting the people who worked on "Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass" and "Shadow of the Batgirl" to work on the main titles I'm all for it because the YA books have been exceptionally better than the mainstream comics.

I'd rather see someone work on "Teen Titans" that has experience writing books aimed at actual teenagers and young adults, instead of doing more of Damian Wayne's Torture Basement.

rickshaw1 #982206 02/23/20 12:12 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Six months ago EVS was claiming that AT&T were going to sell off DC, for what's it's worth. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

I would definitely expect continuing shake-ups at DC, though.

rickshaw1 #982207 02/23/20 12:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wish Bob Harras had gone with Didio, though. He was also part of the problem and he's been protecting Scott Lobdell for years.

EmeraldEmpress #982208 02/23/20 12:24 PM
E
Substitute
Substitute
E
Originally Posted by EmeraldEmpress
I hope Bendis will be the next to go....

At least get him off the Legion book his Wonder Comics books are pretty good but i stopped on Legion after issue 1.

Eryk Davis Ester #982209 02/23/20 12:35 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Six months ago EVS was claiming that AT&T were going to sell off DC, for what's it's worth. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

Agreed. And that's a far more polite way of saying it than I am capable of, especially when it concerns a...character...like him. Thanks, EDE.

Originally Posted by EDE
I would definitely expect continuing shake-ups at DC, though.

Again, agreed.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
rickshaw1 #982223 02/23/20 02:30 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Didio had been making money for them. I'm like others that didn't like some of the actual work, but he was making money. I think a final clincher, and this is just a guess on my part, is the "replacement" stuff coming up. Marvel tried it and it tanked, costing them a lot in the publishing division. And a LOT of comic buyers were not looking forward to it. A very significant portion. And he has been importing a lot of talent that was at marvel at that time. I don't have any knowledge that it's true, but money looks at things and tries to maximize it. Money may have looked at what happened with marvel and done some end customer research and thought it was time to make a move before it went bad.

Or maybe they didn't like his mustache. I don't know.

But I'm hoping for good out of this. Trying to look on the bright side. Lot's of testimonials out there from voices in the business I've never really heard of saying how wonderful Didio was. Lots of big name talent not saying much, at least, not where I'm hearing it.

So I'm hoping for good. Especially with Legion.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #982224 02/23/20 02:32 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
So I'm hoping for good. Especially with Legion.

Amen. Change can be good, especially when the status quo is not to your liking.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
rickshaw1 #982250 02/23/20 10:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
There is a discussion on Variant Comics Youtube channel about recent mention of Marvel in DC (Doomsday Clock #12) and seeing DC in Marvel (Thor #1) combined with some insider knowledge that leads to their speculation of DC and Marvel in the future. Speculation yes but seemed relevant to this discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6oo0dtANY

rickshaw1 #982256 02/24/20 04:11 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Behind the original Crisis was DC tidying up their multiverse ahead of a potential sale to Marvel. So Doomsday Clock tidying things up for similar reasons isn't impossible.

Oh, there's yet another relaunch too. Just like post crisis there too.

No wonder Didio is on his way. A number of failed relaunches under his tenure.

Having Marvel mentioned in a book could just be another JLA/Avengers crossover. Or crossovers like those in the early '80s. A massive year long DC/Avengers crossover would be abig sales boost. Presumably with Galactus standing in for The Monitor: eating Universes and not just worlds.

Not reading DC I don't know how much of the DCU needed a "fix". Their parent company restructuring what it sees as a failing line isn't impossible. Comics may come to mirror their TV and movie counterparts only. You might only get cartoon type versions. Whatever works for the licensing. Trying to create content to launch future movies/TV could be the focus.

But a little less of churning out 52 poor books and believing your own hype at comic conventions and more focus on the timely publication of quality books would seem like an obvious start.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #982368 02/25/20 06:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think they will at least let Bendis finish his run on this version as long as sales are stable.

I wonder if Didio leaving might motivate Hickman to finish up with the X-Men so he can write for DC? He is on record stating "all the dream projects are there".

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
rickshaw1 #982527 03/04/20 10:02 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I didn't realize Hickman and Didio clashed. Hickman's vision would be fascinating on some of the big teams in the DCU

Hmmmm... I'm now wondering what would happen if DC went into areas that Didio restricted - like the past

rickshaw1 #982535 03/04/20 11:07 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
L.E.G.I.O.N. '89.

1889 that is.
Follow the adventures of BatLash Lad , Madame Mallor, Brainiac 0.2 and Nighthawk!

rickshaw1 #982541 03/04/20 12:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
re:Hickman, I just read the collected 12 issues of HoX/PoX and have to say it was a lot more captivating than the new Legion. Big ideas and a master plan vs a buffet of many interesting future tidbits. Not entirely comparable, since we have only four issues and are dealing with essentially new characters, but it did make me wish to see what Hickman would do with the LSH.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
rickshaw1 #982839 03/12/20 03:10 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
It occurred to me recently that, because getting Bendis to come over to DC appears to have been mainly DiDio's doing, perhaps Bendis will lose favor with the remaining execs and editors at DC.

Which would, naturally, lead to a new writer for the Legion.

If that scenario comes true, and if it's a writer I like, I might consider lifting my moratorium on the DCU -- for the Legion at least. It was not an easy decision for me to stop buying Legion in the immediate aftermath of "Doomsday Clock"'s awful resolution. So let's say, for the moment, that the door hasn't been permanently sealed shut.

rickshaw1 #982934 03/14/20 05:56 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Glad to hear it. I have to say this iteration hasn't really appealed to me, but then, I don't think it was meant to. But, I'm trying. I'm hoping that someone like Venditi or Tomasi might be interested and restore the legion to good standing if things change. Venditi has done excellent work on Hawkman and Tomasi did some great stuff to rescue nightwing after the Devin stuff. But, I could be wrong about the last one. Going from memory.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #982940 03/14/20 06:15 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Unfortunately, I suspect the most likely scenario is that the Legion will go dormant again when Bendis leaves. frown

rickshaw1 #982958 03/15/20 07:13 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Glad to hear it. I have to say this iteration hasn't really appealed to me, but then, I don't think it was meant to. But, I'm trying. I'm hoping that someone like Venditi or Tomasi might be interested and restore the legion to good standing if things change. Venditi has done excellent work on Hawkman and Tomasi did some great stuff to rescue nightwing after the Devin stuff. But, I could be wrong about the last one. Going from memory.

Thanks, Rick. I like both Venditti and Tomasi, especially Tomasi (and his run on Super Sons showed he can write young people convincingly.) You might wanna check out some of Tomasi's work on Green Lantern -- that franchise stayed halfway readable as long as Tomasi was involved, either as writer or editor.

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Unfortunately, I suspect the most likely scenario is that the Legion will go dormant again when Bendis leaves.

EDE, deep down I agree that your scenario is very plausible, but hopefully it won't come down to that.

On the other hand...earlier this morning, I was reading Mark Waid's introduction to the first collection of JLA/JSA team-ups, and he made the point that the near-unilateral cancellation of superhero books was a blessing in disguise, because only a few years later, the first Barry Allen Flash story got the Silver Age superhero boom going.

rickshaw1 #982960 03/15/20 07:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have read a great article by Paul Levitz that states kids are reading comics, but not necessarily super-hero comics. I will provide a link to the article if anyone would like to see it.

Super-heroes are cool again because of the popular movies and TV shows, it is a shame that it might be next to impossible at this point to get younger readers. I think in the worst case scenario, the Legion won't go dormant, they will just bring the characters into the 20th century to match the "Supergirl" TV show. I personally would like to see them be used in video games, as it seems that mobile games/aps are the best way to reach the Generation Z/Late Millennial market DC wants.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,256
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden