Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 03:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Score the Twenties!
#982660 03/07/20 08:28 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
XX APPEAL!

Choose one per matchup -- no ties -- on your opinion of the cover merits alone. Click images to see larger versions

Previous editions, for perusal and/or catch-up: Elevens, Twelves, Eights, Tens, Twenty-Nines, Eighteens, Fifteens, Fives, Nines, Seventeens, Nineteens, Sixteens, Sixes

1. TEEN TITANS vs. NEW TEEN TITANS

click to enlarge click to enlarge

2. LITTLE DOT DOTLAND vs. DAZZLER

3. MY FRIEND IRMA vs. ARCHIE'S MAD HOUSE

4. REVIVAL vs. MARVEL SUPER HEROES

Re: Score the Twenties!
Leap Year Lord #982673 03/08/20 08:03 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
1. Teen Titans: Sure, the Perez one is when that run really took off. Sure, it's well designed. It tells the reader as well as Wally's parents about his life, giving the character and the team depth. It also has lots of Perez details and craft. I'm not so keen on the different colours, used to highlight the different parts of Wally's story. But the Disruptor puts it firmly in so-so super hero fare. Cardy's lovely cover brings a cover is full of dark, ominous threat. At a time of social unrest, this was a controversial issue. Wolfman was still annoyed abut it, when he introduced Jericho in the '80s. Cardy's cover is the story I want to read more.

2. Little Dot: I was going to give it to Dazzler. But Little Dot grows on me. I 've never liked the Dazzle logo, and it's just another one of her standing around being sparkly. At least Little Dot is doing something, and it gets whimsy points.

3. My Friend Irma: By asking about their swimming strength, she's really asking about the underlying health of the fish. She doesn't want to give an ill fish to little orphans only for them to be in tears a few days later. Well done Irma! The shop owner was arrested for keeping too many fish in cramped conditions, when Irma reported him. Archie forces itself to the point of desperation for a gag.

4. Doctor Doom: Now there's a guy that practices maniacal villain poses *every* morning before breakfast. Dedicated to his craft. I wonder how many of the revival covers simply have a guy in a robe+sandals, hoping that's shock enough to pick it up.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #982705 03/08/20 06:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1. Teen Titans: While the New TT book is interesting in its idea, the older cover is more dramatically appealing, and who is the mysterious caped figure entering in the background?

2. Little Dot: Dazzler is ok but a bit cluttered and Dot is just pleasantly appealing.

3. My Friend Irma: both of these are of a similar level but that cyclops eye makes me cringe when I look at it (or it looks at me). Might be good for a horror comic but not here.

4. Revival: the artwork is gorgeous and the portrayal of the characters is appealing. I have no idea what is going on but it looks good. Doctor Doom is being classic Doctor Doom. Nothing wrong with it but nothing special either.

Leap Year Lord #982743 03/09/20 11:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
1. Teen Titans - I like the use of the yellow lights and can imagine they all came on suddenly. The letter home idea is good, but more day-in-the-life than dramatic action.

2. Little Dot - her dot obsession fascinates. Must every thing she does have a dot component? Dazzler over-dazzles. It might look better against a darker background.

3. Archie's Mad House - not many cyclops on non-Marvel comic book covers. Weirdness wins over ditzy dame, or is it insulting salesman?

4. Revival - happy and bright. Is that buddy Jesus or a wannabe? Doesn't matter.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #982765 03/10/20 12:27 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
1. TEEN TiTANS. More exciting! Tilted logo and title add a lot too! NTT: no criticisms, it just doesn't do much for me.

2. LITTLE DOT DOTLAND! The grey dots look GREAT on the white background and with the red/blue/purple logo too! Dazzler has a color story I like and a pinup cover is OK, but it's just not there yet.

3. AMH. I like the MFI color story better, but AMH has, if not a gag, a lil zaniness.

4. Ah, the battle of the laxative commercials, featuring before during and after! Revival sure reminds me of a laxative-box-flinging sentient and I think he would laff at it, but Trishes this is ALL DOOM. Pooping planets! MARVEL SUPER HEROES.

Leap Year Lord #982766 03/10/20 12:29 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
5. COOKIE vs. ABBOTT AND COSTELLO

6. FAMOUS FUNNIES vs. LEADING COMICS

7. ROMANTIC ADVENTURES vs. LOVELORN

8. THE PINK PANTHER vs. THE TERRIFICS

Leap Year Lord #982770 03/10/20 07:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1. TEEN TITANS vs. NEW TEEN TITANS

click to enlarge

2. LITTLE DOT DOTLAND vs. DAZZLER

click to enlarge

3. MY FRIEND IRMA vs. ARCHIE'S MAD HOUSE

click to enlarge

4. REVIVAL vs. MARVEL SUPER HEROES

click to enlarge

5. COOKIE vs. ABBOTT AND COSTELLO

click to enlarge

6. FAMOUS FUNNIES vs. LEADING COMICS

click to enlarge

7. ROMANTIC ADVENTURES vs. LOVELORN

click to enlarge

8. THE PINK PANTHER vs. THE TERRIFICS

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #982781 03/10/20 04:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
5. Cookie: Both of these not great. Apparently in comic land seeing a pretty girl makes you magically leap straight up in the air. In my case it was the opposite, stunned paralysis, but I guess that is a bit harder to portray in comics. Cookie gets it as I prefer the drawing style of the characters, just personal preference (but why is the back of Cookie's(?) pants sticking out? His anatomy must work differently to mine.)

6. Famous Funnies: Can't say I would like the big bloke but I do like the artwork.

7. Romantic Adventures: Not much to pick between these two but RA gets it for the cityscape.

8. Pink Panther: Mildly funny sight gag versus another (probably badly worded) Bizarro story with a too busy and confusing cover.

Leap Year Lord #982804 03/11/20 11:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
5. Abbott & Costello - because they're all adults. Cookie looks like two women with two young boys, although as stile mentions, the anatomy is remarkable and I wonder if that was an acceptable manner/suggestion for the times.

6. Famous Funnies - I linger on this one, trying to figure out if it's just a lame joke or some comment about rich vs poor.

7. Lovelorn - if you've seen Mrs. Maisel, the 3 girls sit together at the back of the mathematics class. Hooray for this more egalitarian cover. I like that both books admonish us to "Buy No Less".

8. Terrifics - don't usually go for these dizzy-inducing covers, but hey, there's a cat. Is a cat part of the regular cast now? I haven't been reading since #7.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #982812 03/11/20 04:37 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
1. Teen Titans. NTT is more iconic, but, man, is that TT cover awesome!

2. Little Dot Dotland. I'm not sure why, but the Dazzler doesn't quite work for me.

3. Archie's Madhouse. I loves me some Irma Peterson generally, but the Cyclops buying eyeglasses bit just does more for me.

4. Doctor Doom. That pretty much embodies the character right there.

5. Abbot and Costello. Yeah, I'm big on either of these, but this one.

6. Leading Comics. I was just talking about Nero Fox in another thread!

7. Lovelorn. Again, not big on either one, and this one's probably less realistic, but I dig the colors more.

8. Pink Panther. I like the simple gag, and the "Year of the Villain" banner kind of spoils an already overly busy cover.

Leap Year Lord #982815 03/11/20 10:55 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
5. OK, these are pretty much the same gag, with one physical reaction as semaphore for another. Not aged well. Cookie has a better-realized scene art-wise, but I don't care for the style itself. A&C but not by much.

6.FAMOUS FUNNIES because I want more than basic jerkitude as a gag. Like the pelican though! FF gag is more of a funny situation. Good art (in rather different styles) on both though.

7. ROMANTIC ADVENTURES. So what, high schoolers will be distracted by anything -- the RA tongue-wrasslers are slightly more impressive to become the attraction.

8. THE TERRIFICS! Just like it says in the title.

Leap Year Lord #982818 03/11/20 11:05 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
9. GEORGIE AND JUDY vs. LAUGH COMICS

10. ACE COMICS vs. FEATURE COMICS

11. MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR vs. PROMETHEA

12. INVADER ZIM vs. DOCTOR STRANGE

Leap Year Lord #982821 03/12/20 01:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
9. George and Judy: Same joke but i prefer the execution of the art in the first one. Is that what early Archie looked like? Kudos LYL. I don't know how you manage to find such closely matching covers in this list.

10. Ace Comics: Don't really like either of these but Ace is slightly less irksome.

11. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur: Now this is a wonderful cover. Very intriguing, attractive, makes me want to look inside whereas the other is just people falling down into an unknown whirlpool again.

12. Doctor Strange: Normally I wouldn't go for such a busy cover but compared to the other pink mess DS looks quite good. i particularly like the pose and the face.

Leap Year Lord #982831 03/12/20 08:08 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
9. GEORGIE AND JUDY vs. LAUGH COMICS

click to enlarge

10. ACE COMICS vs. FEATURE COMICS

click to enlarge

11. MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR vs. PROMETHEA

click to enlarge

12. INVADER ZIM vs. DOCTOR STRANGE

click to enlarge

Leap Year Lord #982833 03/12/20 08:25 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
9. George and Judy. Because what kind of freak doesn't like milkshakes?

10. Feature Funnies. I'm so-so on the actual covers on both of them, but, in this case the headshots intrigue me!

11. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. Trippy, without the utter vagueness of the other cover.

12. Doctor Strange. Not a lot to recommend this one, but really don't like the other one.

Leap Year Lord #982911 03/14/20 12:52 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
5. ABBOTT AND COSTELLO: I prefer the jumping out the water to the choking on food aspect of the gag.

6. LEADING COMICS: An easy win for the bird carrying the price tag. Famous Funnies has Apple Mary. That became Mary Worth, (although the publishers of Worth would deny it, as they might have to part with pennies) that June Brigman works on as per Annfie's recent post.

7. ROMANTIC ADVENTURES: Both are failures on the Angst Scale. However, I don't believe the amount of space available right behind the teacher's desk on lovelorn.

8. TERRIFICS: A win for Plas using the logo to stop him falling up the cover. But why isn't the cat stopping Bizarro?

9. GEORGE & JUDY: An easy win for the Sundae's on Monday's and Tuesdays gag.

10. ACE: Presumably a ruse by the tow leads to impersonate a meany supporting character. Not as creepy as the other cover. There's a little guilt about not supporting The Clock, as I know he's saving up for string to hold his mask to his face.

11. MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR. The thought of someone out there making spacesuits for dinosaurs is a comforting one. Decent perspective on Promethea, but a definite second spot.

12. INVADER ZIM. Possibly just for the bubblegum colour. But Bachalo's cover is so busy and he could have put Shade in there.

"Oh, I's got caught up with the thread.
'Fore Teeds caught up with me."

Track 2 on the 1924 gramophone record by Cobie and the Cutups - "Watch Your Shins!"

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Leap Year Lord #982938 03/14/20 06:13 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
As well you should, I have time on my feet. And hands.

Leap Year Lord #982939 03/14/20 06:15 PM
in season
OP Offline
in season
13. THE AUTHORITY vs. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

14. WHAT IF vs. WEB OF SPIDER-MAN

15. THE LOSERS vs. JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE

16. RACKET SQUAD IN ACTIONS vs. MR. DISTRICT ATTORNEY

Leap Year Lord #982970 03/15/20 03:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
13. The Authority: These are both great covers but the impact of looking up at the Authority figures standing over is greater.

14. What If: The 25th Anniversary cover is ok but the What If is just as good and actually tells the story. The broken-heart-spider-symbol is a nice touch.

15. The Losers: I want to say JLE here as I collected that issue and it was a fun bit of slapstick but the Losers is beautifully laid out and does a much better job of grabbing the attention.

16. Mr. District Attorney: At first I was going to go with Racket Squad which is an ok cover with a bit of clever perspective but once I understood the meaning of the Eye in "Eyewitness" that cover took the lead.

Leap Year Lord #982980 03/15/20 06:05 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
13. It's an unusual cover pose. It's showing the heroes but letting the reader know that the Authority is standing in judgement over their world. As for GotG, if I want a trapped in a world I didn't make, I'll ask for Howard.

14. What If. I can connect it with the original cover. It also gives something of a story. In Web, the story seems to be the Marvel Universe vexed by Spidey turning into a giant dinner plate.

15. Losers. Reservoir Dogs meets Cool Britannia gets iconic points. But don't underestimate the Beefeater. DCs bumbling, classist version of Captain Britain could have had some mileage under some UK hands.

16. Mr DA. If the cops in Racket Squad were any more obvious, they'd be shouting down to get poses. Over in DA the Alan Parson's Time Travelling Project gives us another Eye in the Sky cover. See also All Star Squadron.

Leap Year Lord #982987 03/16/20 01:39 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
9. GEORGIE AND JUDY. Monday/Tuesday and more pleasing art.

10. FEATURE but they needed to dial back on the red, it's off balance.

11. PROMETHEA. Other one strong though...DD looking great yet again.

12. DOCTOR STRANGE. Kitchen pandemonium while Dr. S pays the price. I'm guessing that IZ is Pepto pink for a reason.

13. THE AUTHORITY. Quitely art isn't my cuppa, but agree that the positioning/angle is eye-catching.

14. WHAT IF. I like the Spidey symbol/signal/what-have-you, but it needs something else. (The 25th Anniversary frame does not count.)

15. THE LOSERS. Yeah it's a little familiar but a HUGE EYE GRABBER

16. Hey, speaking of huge eyes, I'll go with the figurative over the (ridiculous to the 2020 eye) literal watch. MR. DISTRICT ATTORNEY

Leap Year Lord #982988 03/16/20 01:47 AM
in season
OP Offline
in season
17. THE MASSIVE vs. CONAN THE KING

18. HENRY ALDRICH vs. KATY KEENE

19. CATWOMAN vs. AQUAMAN

20. AVENGERS vs. MARVEL DOUBLE FEATURE

Leap Year Lord #982989 03/16/20 02:41 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Leap Year Lord
click to enlarge

But did it just happen at the World's Fair? Read this month's Inspector Knacker of the Yard as he delves into the Legacy of the Lost Legion Worlders.

Leap Year Lord #983011 03/16/20 11:16 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
9. George & Judy - I like the bored look on the waitress.

10. Feature Funnies - both make me feel kinda squirmy, but the multiple other characters listed on Feature are interesting.

11. Moon Girl - always go with the tame dinosaur plus this one's got a space suit.

12. Doctor Strange - busy and not too appealing, but the image of Strange himself provides focus among the insanity.

13. Guardians - less static, would make a nice paperweight for Thanos.

14. What If - oh, the tragedy! Who broke it off? And why wasn't there a dress code for this wedding that wasn't?

15. The Losers - the might of the state vs The Losers? Simple and effective image. They look pretty relaxed about it all.

16. Mr. District Attorney - I recall another Mr. D.A. cover which appealed, perhaps it's a series worth checking out. The giant eye doesn't make a lot of sense (is this the eye of a punishing god or somebody observing a bottled city?), but the rest of the picture tells a logical story.

17. Conan - clearer picture. Read The Massive but don't remember this cover. The townscape is good, but the cover is a bit confusing.

18. Henry Aldrich - unintended consequences of poor costume choice, yet the idiot looks happy. Intriguing. Bratty little sisters, no thanks. I was one.

19. Catwoman - looks like a lot more trouble to deal with as opposed to a pleasant swim doing strange things with one's hands.

20. Marvel Double Feature - the title takes up half the cover, but you gotta wonder how he's going to land and be reborn, or not. At least on Avengers, Hawkeye might launch a trampoline arrow or something to catch Cap.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Leap Year Lord #983029 03/16/20 03:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
17. Conan the King: I wanted to pick The Massive because of the cleaner artwork, but what is with the giant police and the guy leaping over the city from a stave of music? CK at least is fairly clear in what it is presenting.

18. Henry Aldrich: we've all been there - well maybe not in a suit of armour but living with the consequences of a poor choice. Actually a suit of armour would have been helpful sometimes.

19. Aquaman: Very close, both attractive covers but I like the slightly cleaner look of AM.

20. Avengers: The perspective on this is terrific, really accentuating the distance falling and even highlighting the villain while drawing him so small. MDF is simply flat falling. From where? To where? Why? Doesn't matter.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,227
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Knightsfyre
Knightsfyre
London, Ontario, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star