Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just read the first 4 issues and I like it!
#984450 04/08/20 07:55 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Hello all. Long time. I don't read comics as much as I used to. Decided to read the first 4 issues of the new Bendis Legion. Wow. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

I did not care for Millennium at all. I know Bendis was trying to draw lines over the thousand years that passed but it didn't give me hope.

But the new title is FULL of hope. I actually felt excited reading it. It had that Legion brightness and energy I remember as a kid.

Don't love all of the changes but I just see this as a whole new Legion timeline and expect changes. I can nitpick some stuff but I won't. The biggest character I don't care for is Jo Nah Ultra Boy. Don't mind him being tan (I do dislike the hair), or the change to his background. I don't like the changes to the character's personality. He is my favorite and I like him as the everyman character but also brash. More Han Solo-esque. He just came across super whiny.

I actually like the new RJ Brande for some reason. I kind of like more overt DC 20th century references rather than the traditional subtle influences outside of Superboy. I like the overall origin story of why Superboy is involved and the government vs. the Legion. Love the art.

I would never have thought a Bendis Legion comic would be this good. I actually like it more than the Waid/Kitson origin...and I liked that quite a bit. Long Live the Legion in whatever incarnation they are in

Re: Just read the first 4 issues and I like it!
Ultra Jorge #984456 04/08/20 12:06 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Hi Jorge. Always good to see you.

I'm looking forward to rereading all 5 together. I enjoyed them enough individually, but I think Bendis stories lend themselves to reading in trades and I think it will be an even better read that way.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ultra Jorge #984462 04/08/20 01:07 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
thanks for that breath of positivity, Jorge! Glad you are liking the new series.

Ultra Jorge #986178 05/11/20 02:04 PM
D
Applicant
Applicant
D
I'm a long time Legion fan from the 60's Adventure (yes, I'm ancient ;-) ), read the other 4 phases. After reading the last 4 issues I'm glad for the changes. The Legion needed big changes / updates in order to bring on a new generation of fans. I equate to watching movies or TV series from the 60s to 2000s have some great classics, but they aren't going to attract a lot of new viewers unless you update the storytelling and technological advancements in the art. DC / Bendis need to build readership to keep this comic going.

I am glad Bendis didn't do a re-tread of old stories, relationships and out-dated powers per characters. While we haven't got to see the legionaries in a major battle to see the full extent of their updated powers. I'm enjoying the current story and look forward to Bendis attempts.

Ultra Jorge #986201 05/11/20 04:45 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I agree discovery69. I dropped out of the reboot when I thought we were going to get a retread. I dropped out of DnA's version when I thought Legion Lost was going to be another Levitz retread of missing Legionnaires. I might have been mistaken on those occasions, but early impressions count and I'm glad to see Bendis going in his own direction.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ultra Jorge #986238 05/12/20 08:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I do think that Bendis reads better as a package (and can be frustrating in single issues). His plotting in particular is spotty to me (as he focuses more on one conversation rather than how the actions link together).

I look forward to seeing who is in this new Legion. There are enough cues that these are a COMPLETELY different Legion - the relationships, the powers, the personalities, the histories - that I'd like to see more of them and I don't know how we get that in this kind of storytelling.

Ultra Jorge #986244 05/12/20 10:01 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I really have to be tight with money right now, but I suppose if our libraries ever reopen I might have a shot at actually reading this.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ultra Jorge #986278 05/12/20 11:36 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I was surprised to pay more for the digital version of #5 than I would have paid in the shop. And I thought the shop was over priced. I've never weaned myself off of singles enough to think to check out trades. No wonder I buy so few comics. Our local library network seems to be deliberately run into the ground, so there's not many comics around there either. It started as a Legion post but rapidly became a moaning, groaning post instead. smile

thoth lad #986332 05/12/20 10:11 PM
D
Applicant
Applicant
D
[Apologize in advance for taking this thread off topic. I started using TFAW.com. If you pre-order they give you 30% off the list price. Kind of the downside is when I pick the cheapest shipping (i.e. USPS ground). It's about 10% for shipping, so you still get 20% off. I've tried this online ordering a couple of times with all the comic shops closed and so far as worked out. Just remember, I was buying comics back in the 60s for 15 & 25 cents.]

Back to this thread..... I think it would be a good idea to read all the first five issues together. I am impressed with the Sci-Fi art and a concept of island domes. Even through we have seen a large list of legionnaires, it does look like Bendis is leaving the window open to add more members.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Surge Pack
Surge Pack
Portage IN