Roll Call
0 members (), 56 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CALLING THE ROLL of LSH #7-- spoilers
#38303 06/30/05 05:37 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Regarding Cham's antennae, the konapple scene is a little misleading, in that it implies that Cham's antennae only activate when he encounters a new type of thing, when presumably they activate whenever he encounters a new individual (which seems to be implied during the rest of the issue).

#38304 06/30/05 07:02 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Tromium:

[b]"SATURN GIRL: "Is that really the size of my forehead?"

[/b]
She should've asked, "Is that really the size of my BOOBS?" Cham's are much bigger than hers. Maybe he's not as asexual as everyone thinks.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#38305 06/30/05 04:50 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I enoyed the latest issue and love the semi-spotlight on Light Lass and the impressive display of her power.

So far, the story is intriguing with lots of speculation from us. My worry is how disappointed we will be if our theories do not materialise.

A comment on Cham. If his/her antenna is sentient-sensitive only, does that mean he cannot immitate
a) objects?
b) mythical creatures?
I raise this because I was reading the Mayfair Guide to THE LEGION preboot and it was stated that he could imitate mytical creatures. Is this retconned out?

Long Live The Legion!
#38306 06/30/05 05:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
yeah there are a lot of little things in this version of the legion that just don't add up.

#38307 06/30/05 05:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
True DB, but for people like me that haven't read a lot of the Pre-crisis Legion or other old DC space stories, those inconsistencies in nature of powers alien worlds and origins can't bother us.

Some of the stuff the really deliberate reveal of why the legion exists or what's so bad evil about the UP adults government are more problematic.

This book is my favorite right now. However is the style a throwback to the single issues building subplots into a big resolution or is it so decompressed that actions that could happen in two pages of those old comics taking an issue to play out? Detractors could easily argue the second.

Other than that I'm really happy to read all your commentaries on this board. It really adds to my enjoyment of the comic.

#38308 06/30/05 06:00 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Traditionally, Cham's antennae scanned any object he encountered and allowed him to replicate its form. His ability to duplicate imaginary forms, as well as to perform other feats of shape changing such as moving his internal organs around, was a learned ability, acquired over time.

#38309 06/30/05 06:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the cover thing, if it's supposed to have some significance. And the title, "Follow the Leader" - blind obedience to Cos? Or follow which leader?
Like everyone I thought the dueling covers on 1 and 7 were a hint as to the factions. As of issue 7, so much for that theory.

NEW THEORY: legionnaires behind the candidates are the members that B5 and Cos are unsure of respectively.

My reasoning (Using Cos Cover):
Cos is now sure of Ultraboy and Element Lad because of the Tripgirl dates (Both against him) but still needs more info about Sunboy, hence another conversation with TripGirl in #7. In issue 6 he mentors Starboy like a college recruiter trying to get a star quarterback to enroll. He's suspicious of DreamGirl because she likes to go to B5's lab for no reason. Even though Lightning Lad is his yes man, Garth has not yet delivered either his sister or girlfriend. He also hasn't even interacted with BigBoy on panel so thats the question there.

As for the B5 cover, he hasn't really interacted on panel with any of them aside from Cham and Cos this whole series. We know Jo doesn't like him.

So that's my story and until I'm presented with more info I'm stickin' with it.

#38310 06/30/05 07:11 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Traditionally, Cham's antennae scanned any object he encountered and allowed him to replicate its form. His ability to duplicate imaginary forms, as well as to perform other feats of shape changing such as moving his internal organs around, was a learned ability, acquired over time.
Which explains why pre-boot his antennae were always visible given the vast amount of objects to scan (though I do agree there is a limit once the environment is more familiar smile )

However, it seems that Cham can only imitate living things which he has scanned now, doesn't it? Otherwise, the very clever twist of LSH#7 would not make sense at all.

I am not complaining about this limitation. Just wondering about the implications though.

Rationally, Cham's antennae should always be shown whenever he gets out of the HQ as he is bound to come across beings (sentient or otherwise) which he has not scanned yet, and it is supposed to be subconscious and involuntary.

Long Live The Legion!
#38311 06/30/05 07:14 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
It's interesting if that is how his powers now work, then the main preboot story in which the scanning ability came into play (the Mantis Morlo story), wouldn't have worked, since he wouldn't have scanned the chemoid duplicates of Morlo as an automatic response, since they were unliving!

#38312 06/30/05 08:04 PM
Honorary
Honorary
A few more thoughts after reading LSH#7

1. Given Cham's involuntary scanning, isn't there an inconsistency when he met Invisible Kid for the first time way back in LSH#1? His antennae should be all over Lyle smile

2. The way his antennae were depicted scanning the konapple, why is it not pointing straight at Lemnos? Of course this would take away the contribution of Light Lass and the very dramatic revelation, but surely it makes consistent sense?

3. Lemnos's power seems very similar to Projectra's which could explain why her planet was destroyed, besides the financial disorder reason. Pre-boot, there was a story entitled 'Girls' Night Out' when the Princess used her power to make her and the girls undetected by the Science Police even when they were right in front of the guards. Assuming Projectra still has this ability, the destruction of Orlando could very well be an attempt to destroy her because she may be able to counter Lemnos' power, making what is undetectable obvious.

Long Live The Legion!
#38313 06/30/05 08:31 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Perhaps Chams antennae are merely his means of scanning something's genetics. Thus, he would need to scan each genetically different individual, though not necessarily each genetically identical fruit of a particular propogated variety. To mimic objects, or perhaps even creatures on a less intricate scale, he may have means of scanning other than his antennae.

#38314 07/01/05 06:40 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Now that Waid has referred to Brainy as "the smartest person in the galaxy" (Wizard article), I trust we can focus our attention on more important topics, like who's sleeping with whom, and what color lingerie Light Lass prefers. smile

Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
My reasoning (Using Cos Cover):
Cos is now sure of Ultraboy and Element Lad because of the Tripgirl dates (Both against him
I protest. Element Lad has his own agenda, but his political loyalties are still up in the air. Personally, I think he's a better match with Brainy than with Cos, but we could be in for a surprise.

You're right about Jo, though.

#38315 07/02/05 07:58 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I confess I was glad NOT to see Ultra Boy for an issue, but disappointed we didn't see any more of T-Wolf or Projectra since they were introduced in #5 and #6. Ayla, Cham and Imra all had nice moments in #7. Invisible Kid and Triplicate Girl have come across as "weak" characters so far, an unfortunate throwback to the Adventure era.

I would like to see Colossal Boy, Shadow Lass, Element Lad, Triplicate Girl, T-Wolf, Projectra and Sun Boy get more panel/action time in upcoming issues, as well NOT have any more Legionnaires introduced until then.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#38316 07/02/05 04:02 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Is the form Cham takes between his Saturn Girl and B5 forms ... his true form. Many of the protrusions looked abit like his antennae.
Discuss confused

#38317 07/03/05 12:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Fat cramer:
Cham also used them to sense the Coluans before they came crashing through the ceiling - because they were Zombie Coluans and somehow changed? Like the different variety of konapple?
I wondered about that too. After seeing Lemnos' silhouette in the lab, I thought Cham 's antennae were detecting him instead of the Coluans... But then, Cham's antennae detected him again later on, and his anteanne only do that with new things.

Unless he wasn't able to "scan" Lemnos completely the first time, and so his antennae resurfaced the second time?

#38318 07/03/05 12:52 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I agree with Kid Quislet, I was glad not to see Ultra Boy again. I find this version too much of a jerk (no offense to Jo fans), and I have to deal with people like that in college fairly often.

This issue turned me into a major Light Lass fan, and I'm starting to like Cham and Imra a lot better too.

#38319 07/03/05 02:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Overall a god issue.

I've seriously warmed to the new Cham. He is cute.

I burst out laughing at the "lingerie/worst compliment/no alibi" stuff. Perfect!! More, please.

If a planet is going to be "destroyed", I much prefer the way it was done to Colu rather than the apparent obliteration of Orando.

The one thing I can't seem to wrap my mind around is this notion that these super-smart Coluans ave allowed their planet to become so overpopulated that they have to shrink everything. Ummm.... no. Can't get it. Had no problems with Phantom Girl's new origin, but I just can't grasp this. Need more data.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#38320 07/03/05 03:03 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
i love this issue !!

the interaction between the characters was brilliant !! Brainy's "insults" about the other LEGIONNAIRES were so funny, and the info given out by him was so interesting, Mark's writing this issue was probably the best yet !!

roll on the LEGIONNAIRE divide !!

Matthew.

#38321 07/05/05 06:50 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by MLLASH:
The one thing I can't seem to wrap my mind around is this notion that these super-smart Coluans ave allowed their planet to become so overpopulated that they have to shrink everything.
Good point, Lash. It seems like some age-old concepts like contraception and emigration would be simpler solutions.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#38322 07/06/05 12:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
But those wacky Coluans decided to go with the most complicated, ridiculous solution instead.

Hmmm... if I look at it in "silver-age" logic, it almost makes perfect sense.

But I still can't let myself believe that they thought shrinking everything was a better solution...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#38323 07/06/05 06:55 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
[b]The one thing I can't seem to wrap my mind around is this notion that these super-smart Coluans ave allowed their planet to become so overpopulated that they have to shrink everything.
Good point, Lash. It seems like some age-old concepts like contraception and emigration would be simpler solutions. [/b]
Wasn't it technically "data storage" rather than overpopulation?

#38324 07/06/05 07:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
We've seen that the Coluans are wired to a grid. What if Coluans thought of themselves as components in a giant computer. Their view on population could be something like Moore's Law. (the exponential growth of computer chip density)

This would also prevent them from leaving the planet because they would sever the link with the other processing units.

"Data Storage" is just their word the sum knowledge stored in every Coluan or population.

Maybe that's why Brainy is "dumb". He could be smarter than any given Coluan, but stupid because he's off the grid. He may have been forced off because of his radical ideology contaminating the network. It would explain why he would describe earth's intelligence as a whole as well.

#38325 07/06/05 07:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That makes a lot of sense. I hope we'll see it explored in the book.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#38326 07/07/05 06:55 PM
Active
Active
I'm wondering if Lemnos' tampering with the Coluans is the "push" that made them decided to abandon their organics as stated by Brainiac 8/Indigo in Teen Titans #25. He did show them how weak their flesh is.

It would have been nice if Atom Girl/ Violet would have appeared next to them on Colu after they had shrunk down, after having been with them the whole trip.

On closer inspection I wonder if Saturn Girl _does_ speak. On page 2(why don't they use page numbers anymore!?), last bottom panel, the "Good! Now Lightning Lad" bubble is definitely speech. But, to me, it seems to be more a part of Saturn Girl's side of the conversation than Cham's.

Hmmm...maybe Brainy's biggest adversary isn't Cos...maybe it's Invisible Kid. Could be as soon as Brainy left Earth he went running to Cos to tell him about Brainy's supposed "secrets" so as to get into the lab unobserved by Brainy. On the last page, Lyle seems to be going directly for something, doesn't he? Keep your enemies closer, indeed!

#38327 07/08/05 10:32 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think it would be great if Brainy's "greatest adversary" turned out to be someone less than obvious.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,264
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CreativityKid
CreativityKid
Pawtucket, RI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star