Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:13 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/06/24 09:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/06/24 07:26 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 05:06 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:38 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LSH Before the Darkness Vol 1
#989708 07/14/20 12:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Here is a link to the newest Legion hardcover on Amazon. If this actually gets published, we will officially have just one more HC edition after this to fill the hardcover gap between the discontinued Archives and the GDS Deluxe Edition. (Obviously, there were 2 volumes of SLSH that already succeeded the Archives, taking us thru 259.)

I'm stoked because my Legion story collection would be complete, apart from various apocrypha, after a prospective Vol 2. Maybe far from the greatest era of the Legion, but they have my money.

Right now, it will feature 260-274 and the Secrets mini. Right now, they have a current series LSH group shot for the cover, but I trust that will change. And when did the JLA/JSA crossover appearance occur, as far as publication? I don't know if it's essential, but we always used to assume it would be eventually included when the Archives were thought to continue.

Whaddaya think?!?!?

Last edited by Paladin; 07/14/20 12:49 PM.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Re: LSH Before the Darkness Vol 1
Lard Lad #989709 07/14/20 12:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I will say that DC seems all-in on the GDS as the focal point of that era. I mean, beginning about 30 issues before the actual GDS begins, they market a book that's title references it? "The Curse" HC was itself a GDS reference, as well.

Lard Lad #989720 07/14/20 07:58 PM
Reservist
Reservist
The JLA/JSA/Lrgion team up was published in Justice League of America #147-148, cover dated Oct/Nov 1977. These issues were reprinted in the Justice League Wedding of Ray Palmer HC out last fall IIRC. In regards to Legion, I think these stories would have fallen in place somewhere in SLSH V1 HC, if they had been included.

Lard Lad #989759 07/15/20 05:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I loved the Dagon story and the space circus. Those were some of the first Legion stories that I can remember getting in the spinner rack

Lard Lad #989813 07/17/20 11:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Includes the infamous Dr. Mayavale story!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #989815 07/17/20 01:53 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Includes the infamous Dr. Mayavale story!

I thought I smelled something funny.

Burgers and fries are on me!

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Lard Lad #989898 07/19/20 12:02 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Super excited for this collection! The Secrets mini doesn?t blow my mind artwise but it?s not bad art and I thought it worked well as a story. Some new things were in there I believe like Shrinking Violet being different than most average of her race in that she could shrink smaller. Besides the miniseries, Tyroc gets featured, Bouncing Boy & Duo Damsel return and we meet the Dark Man. Surprised that this villain never came back as I thought he definitely had what it took to become a classic villain. This collection also had the Dr. Mayoville story smile

Lard Lad #989948 07/20/20 05:09 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Completely agreed on the Dark Man.

Lard Lad #989978 07/21/20 08:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Same - the Dark Man should have made a comeback

Lard Lad #990616 08/01/20 12:33 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Paladin
Here is a link to the newest Legion hardcover on Amazon. If this actually gets published, we will officially have just one more HC edition after this to fill the hardcover gap between the discontinued Archives and the GDS Deluxe Edition. (Obviously, there were 2 volumes of SLSH that already succeeded the Archives, taking us thru 259.)

I'm stoked because my Legion story collection would be complete, apart from various apocrypha, after a prospective Vol 2. Maybe far from the greatest era of the Legion, but they have my money.

Right now, it will feature 260-274 and the Secrets mini.

bad-ish news - note that the link NOW says it wil only go through 271, which means it will omit Blok's origin, the resolution of the Ayn Rand (wait, am I getting the name confused with the author? is it An Ryd? been too long...) murder storyline, and the first issue of teh Reflecto saga... HOWEVER, if you want 1 more volume anyway to get to the GDS Deluxe, 260-371 and 272-283 is definitely more balanced, so still goes with your "theory" of needing one more archive to bridge.... but since it IS called "Before the Darness Volume 1", I think your theory is safe. smile

But I hope they aren't basing things on 10+-year old releases, I like the recent Ominbuses over the Archives because the pages are slightly larger (needed for my aging, work-all-day-via-computer eyes)...not to mention I don't HAVE most of the the archives (never bought them because I am a collector with of all the actual comics, but now realize I would much rather have books on shelf for reading), and they are pricey to get now (as is the Deluxe hardcover GDS!)

I hope INSTEAD, given its age, that they are naming these new ones "Before the Darkness" with a plan to re-release GDS, given that is 10-years old, and then a plan to *keep going* through Baxter run, bridging the gap to the upcoming (in sept) 5-years later Omnibus, adn then eventually one could hope to have the entire history of the original Legion thru zero-hour (and beyond!!) on their shelf. One might imagine a re-relase of GDS and then Omnibuses to cover thru the Baxter run.

So then the main "bridge" *I* am most worried about, is going from the recent Silver Age Omnibus vol 3 (thru the Action run) to cover the beginning of the S&LSH thru S&LSH 233 - which for me is the "classic" run I remember and am most fond of, esp, the Cockrum years (still among my favorite Legio artists, if not alone at the top!). No doubt it would be called "Bronze Age Omnibus #1", although the question is whether they'd need TWO Ominbuses, or cover it one large one. They COULD cover it one, given the gigantic size of some other omnibuses (does anyone have the silver age Doom PAtrol one? absolutely HUGE). But I hope either way that they go all the way to #233, right before the latest run of volumes start...

In fact, it *almost* feels like the reason they recently(ish) started S&LSH vol 1 at #234 is with this in mind as a master plan.... although, that ALSO starts right after the last archive.#13, (which I am lucky i picked up as soon as S&LSH vol 1 came out, becuase I really didnt' want to miss that range of issues as it contians death of chnical king and Infinite Man), but for everyone's sake (since #13 is now going for $300+ on amazon!), I hope they cover through 233 with either 1 or 2 Bronze Age Omnibuses.

*There must be a master plan for all this, is anyone privy??*

Last edited by Evolution Has Failed; 08/01/20 12:34 AM.

"I like stuff that doesn't exist."
Lard Lad #990723 08/04/20 04:34 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Evolution Has Failed
bad-ish news - note that the link NOW says it wil only go through 271, which means it will omit Blok's origin, the resolution of the Ayn Rand (wait, am I getting the name confused with the author? is it An Ryd? been too long...) murder storyline, and the first issue of teh Reflecto saga... HOWEVER, if you want 1 more volume anyway to get to the GDS Deluxe, 260-371 and 272-283 is definitely more balanced, so still goes with your "theory" of needing one more archive to bridge.... but since it IS called "Before the Darness Volume 1", I think your theory is safe. smile

But I hope they aren't basing things on 10+-year old releases, I like the recent Ominbuses over the Archives because the pages are slightly larger (needed for my aging, work-all-day-via-computer eyes)...not to mention I don't HAVE most of the the archives (never bought them because I am a collector with of all the actual comics, but now realize I would much rather have books on shelf for reading), and they are pricey to get now (as is the Deluxe hardcover GDS!)

I hope INSTEAD, given its age, that they are naming these new ones "Before the Darkness" with a plan to re-release GDS, given that is 10-years old, and then a plan to *keep going* through Baxter run, bridging the gap to the upcoming (in sept) 5-years later Omnibus, adn then eventually one could hope to have the entire history of the original Legion thru zero-hour (and beyond!!) on their shelf. One might imagine a re-relase of GDS and then Omnibuses to cover thru the Baxter run.

So then the main "bridge" *I* am most worried about, is going from the recent Silver Age Omnibus vol 3 (thru the Action run) to cover the beginning of the S&LSH thru S&LSH 233 - which for me is the "classic" run I remember and am most fond of, esp, the Cockrum years (still among my favorite Legio artists, if not alone at the top!). No doubt it would be called "Bronze Age Omnibus #1", although the question is whether they'd need TWO Ominbuses, or cover it one large one. They COULD cover it one, given the gigantic size of some other omnibuses (does anyone have the silver age Doom PAtrol one? absolutely HUGE). But I hope either way that they go all the way to #233, right before the latest run of volumes start...

In fact, it *almost* feels like the reason they recently(ish) started S&LSH vol 1 at #234 is with this in mind as a master plan.... although, that ALSO starts right after the last archive.#13, (which I am lucky i picked up as soon as S&LSH vol 1 came out, becuase I really didnt' want to miss that range of issues as it contians death of chnical king and Infinite Man), but for everyone's sake (since #13 is now going for $300+ on amazon!), I hope they cover through 233 with either 1 or 2 Bronze Age Omnibuses.

*There must be a master plan for all this, is anyone privy??*

I don't know if there are plans to do all that with Omnibuses and what-not. It's encouraging that the Silver Age Omnibuses got all 3 volumes. If sales weren't at least decent, that wouldn't have happened. I predict DC will do at least one Bronze Age Omnibus to gauge interest, and more will follow if sales continue to support it.

I'm lucky enough to have obtained all of the Archives at a decent price and have gotten the 2 Superboy/LSH Volumes at 50% off apiece thru In-Stock Trades when they were released (Same w/GDS Deluxe and The Curse). I will support every release of newly-collected material in HC format, including the 5YL Omnibus. I won't likely buy any Omnibus that contains stuff covered by the Archives and the other HC collections, but these have to be godsends for those who can't afford the Archives, et al, on the after-market.

By the way, I checked, and In-Stock Trades still has the two S/LSH volumes available and for their standard 42% off. No such luck on GDS Deluxe or The Curse, though I guess the former is getting a new printing. (Google "In-Stock Trades" and the site should pop right up. I highly recommend them.)

Looking forward to 5YL Omnibus, as it's one of my very favorite runs! It's my understanding that DC is reprinting them (and thus skipping the Baxter series--for now?) because of some HBO (I think) project featuring the Legion that may or may not ever materialize based on that era. That, and all the love Giffen gets for Marvel's Annihilation event probably doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by Paladin; 08/04/20 04:35 PM.

Lard Lad #990724 08/04/20 04:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Crap! I thought that was a typo, but it's REALLY been 10 years since GDS Deluxe was released!!! ElasticLad

Last edited by Paladin; 08/04/20 04:47 PM.

Lard Lad #990867 08/07/20 06:54 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Paladin
Crap! I thought that was a typo, but it's REALLY been 10 years since GDS Deluxe was released!!! ElasticLad

Yeah, time is sneaky that way(!)...

thanks for you perspective in the message before, I think that all sounds about right.... I hadn't heard about the HBO thing, hope it happens!!!

"I like stuff that doesn't exist."

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,172
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gigglebot Girl
Gigglebot Girl
Northumberland