Roll Call
0 members (), 68 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #9 - Preview and Spoilers
Nightcrawler #993048 10/05/20 10:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
RARE POSITIVE COMMENT ABOUT THIS BOOK FROM ME ALERT!

OK, one of my favorite Legion stories from the old Adventure days was "The Civil War of the Legion". The concept of a team of heroes splitting into two warring factions was unheard of to me then and, I thought, ripe with potential. Unfortunately, the execution ended up being a little lackluster and anti-climactic, but I always wanted to see a good writer try it again.

I've exorcised most of this era from my memory, but the Threeboot writers attempted to do a story like that again didn't they? I think they did, and I think I remember that they somehow made it worse than the original version, with all of the characters fighting over the most ridiculously flimsy and juvenile of motivations.

Now, I think it's obvious that Bendis is a fan of the Threeboot, and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that he is laying the groundwork here (with all these opposing motivations for joining the team) to do his own version of that classic tale. And, to his credit, I think he has done a much better job of creating actually believable and relatable stakes for the team to split apart and oppose each other in such a war over, than any of the earlier writers did.

I just hope he can execute the story better than the earlier writers did too.

Nightcrawler #993055 10/06/20 03:38 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
this does spark a nice thought. I would like to see more of the UP day to day. We caught glimpses of it in the Garth/Ayla intro scene, and some of the Legionnaires' comments (such as Jacques') give hints. it would be great to see more of the UP in real life.

I agree that there's rich, ripe groundwork for this. And it reminds me a lot of our present day United Nations! some people think it's the best thing ever, others think it's a waste of time, and many others have opinions somewhere in between.

Nightcrawler #993060 10/06/20 07:27 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Now that the cat's out of the bag...here's some scans of the two pages shown earlier.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nightcrawler #993077 10/06/20 05:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Guys does anyone else get Antennae Lad vibes from Radius Lad?

Sarcasm Kid #993081 10/06/20 06:23 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Guys does anyone else get Antennae Lad vibes from Radius Lad?

Good point. Maybe that's what his power will be or something similar.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 10/06/20 06:25 PM.
Nightcrawler #993082 10/06/20 06:24 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I noticed that there were no Invisible Kid or Computo designs. They both must have come later.

Nightcrawler #993084 10/06/20 06:35 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I was thinking maybe Radius Lad could roll up into a ball like an armadillo, but that would be a bit too much like Bouncing Boy.

Nightcrawler #993089 10/06/20 08:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
I noticed that there were no Invisible Kid or Computo designs. They both must have come later.

No Invisible Kid was there, you just couldn't see it. He was standing right next to X-Ray Girl.

Nightcrawler #993090 10/06/20 08:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
GET IT. IT FUNNY CUZ INVISIBLE.

Blacula #993092 10/06/20 11:17 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Blacula
RARE POSITIVE COMMENT ABOUT THIS BOOK FROM ME ALERT!

OK, one of my favorite Legion stories from the old Adventure days was "The Civil War of the Legion". The concept of a team of heroes splitting into two warring factions was unheard of to me then and, I thought, ripe with potential. Unfortunately, the execution ended up being a little lackluster and anti-climactic, but I always wanted to see a good writer try it again.

I've exorcised most of this era from my memory, but the Threeboot writers attempted to do a story like that again didn't they? I think they did, and I think I remember that they somehow made it worse than the original version, with all of the characters fighting over the most ridiculously flimsy and juvenile of motivations.

Now, I think it's obvious that Bendis is a fan of the Threeboot, and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that he is laying the groundwork here (with all these opposing motivations for joining the team) to do his own version of that classic tale. And, to his credit, I think he has done a much better job of creating actually believable and relatable stakes for the team to split apart and oppose each other in such a war over, than any of the earlier writers did.

I just hope he can execute the story better than the earlier writers did too.

Cosmic Boy wanted a look around B5's room/lab and went when B5 was on an away mission; then Brainiac 5 opened up the comms of Cosmic Boy saying something that upset Ultra Boy and it spiraled from there.

I re-read 1-6 of this series and noticed a few more things:

-The "Great Hall" for the UP said it is on Daxam which is interesting if they are doing the Great Darkness Saga similar to the old one.

- If they are doing the Great Darkness Saga I kinda hope Mon-El is such a jerk because Darkseid has been starting to mess with him.

-Brande seems to be playing the President Chu tweener role from Reboot; Saturn Girl was able to get by some of her "mental shields" and said something like she's interested in herself and war.

-They've made it a point at least 2 times with Bouncing Boy to mention how strong or powerful he is.

Nightcrawler #993104 10/07/20 06:35 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Now that the cat's out of the bag...here's some scans of the two pages shown earlier.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Where are these images taken from? That new Millennium TP that comes out "today"?

Last edited by Catonyx; 10/07/20 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling error

In the present
Catonyx #993105 10/07/20 07:41 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Catonyx
Where are these images taken from? That new Millennium TP that comes out "today"?

Yes. But it released yesterday with DC's new schedule. These images came from the online Comixology digital version.

Nightcrawler #993106 10/07/20 08:47 AM
Active
Active
Thank you for the info Nighty! I will pick up my copy today at my local CBS. Can't wait! smile

In the present
Eryk Davis Ester #993113 10/07/20 01:53 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I was thinking maybe Radius Lad could roll up into a ball like an armadillo, but that would be a bit too much like Bouncing Boy.

you mean like Monster Boy and Chameleon Boy, but not really? tongue

Nightcrawler #993129 10/07/20 06:52 PM
Active
Active
Radius Lad reminds me of that Legion applicant that Jim Shooter introduced when he took over the Threeboot. He was sworn in with Night Girl and 2 others. Turtle maybe?

In the present
Nightcrawler #993131 10/07/20 06:55 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yep!

Turtle

Sarcasm Kid #993165 10/09/20 06:49 AM
Active
Active
sarcasm,

it does bother me that the ranzzes are black, as a black male who has been a legion fan since the 70s its hard not to be bothered by a pointless race change that does nothing but show a stereotypical black family... no father, multiple kids, poor, yeah exactly what todays minorities want to see in a comic book. if anything bendis should switched out blok for tyroc and made troy the first legionnaire. making him a little older 19 to 21 age range and an extensive military background would have made a lot better sense and gone a long way to give love to the most criminally underused, under developed legionnaire ever.

I sought truth.. and found friendship and love, which even your lies can never take the memory of from me. (B5 to Time Trapper LSH 50)
Nightcrawler #993166 10/09/20 07:08 AM
Active
Active
Well said.

In the present
Lucifer07 #993179 10/09/20 01:43 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Lucifer07
if anything bendis should switched out blok for tyroc and made troy the first legionnaire. making him a little older 19 to 21 age range and an extensive military background would have made a lot better sense and gone a long way to give love to the most criminally underused, under developed legionnaire ever.

I like the idea of Tyroc as being perhaps the only law enforcement officer for the closed community of Marzal, which is mostly a post-crime society, and a bit flummoxed (and impressed) with how the United Planets manages to maintain any semblance of peace with so many clashing cultures and social standards. Like most 'ex-pats,' he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder about how things are done so much better back home, but he's cognizant of the differences and how unfair it is to try and judge a society of hundreds of worlds, each with their own (sometimes conflicting) ideas of right and wrong, by the standards of a relatively isolated community like Marzal, that can come to consensus so much easier.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Nightcrawler #993180 10/09/20 03:44 PM
Active
Active
100% agree with Lucifer07.

From UK with glamour.
Set #993199 10/10/20 12:14 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
sarcasm,

it does bother me that the ranzzes are black, as a black male who has been a legion fan since the 70s its hard not to be bothered by a pointless race change that does nothing but show a stereotypical black family... no father, multiple kids, poor, yeah exactly what todays minorities want to see in a comic book. if anything bendis should switched out blok for tyroc and made troy the first legionnaire. making him a little older 19 to 21 age range and an extensive military background would have made a lot better sense and gone a long way to give love to the most criminally underused, under developed legionnaire ever.

Love this idea,

Originally Posted by Set
if anything bendis should switched out blok for tyroc and made troy the first legionnaire. making him a little older 19 to 21 age range and an extensive military background would have made a lot better sense and gone a long way to give love to the most criminally underused, under developed legionnaire ever.

I like the idea of Tyroc as being perhaps the only law enforcement officer for the closed community of Marzal, which is mostly a post-crime society, and a bit flummoxed (and impressed) with how the United Planets manages to maintain any semblance of peace with so many clashing cultures and social standards. Like most 'ex-pats,' he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder about how things are done so much better back home, but he's cognizant of the differences and how unfair it is to try and judge a society of hundreds of worlds, each with their own (sometimes conflicting) ideas of right and wrong, by the standards of a relatively isolated community like Marzal, that can come to consensus so much easier.

and this addition to it!

Lucifer07 #993203 10/10/20 07:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
sarcasm,

Thank you, Lucifer07.

At this point I'm genuinely unsure if I'm making an valid criticisms about the Bendis Legion or if I'm just making up stuff to justify not liking it.

Also yes that would've been a great idea with Tyroc.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ibn al-Nezumi
Ibn al-Nezumi
Indojapan, Earth