Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 69 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes, by Brian Michael Bendis and Riley Rossmo
#993345 10/15/20 08:42 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Future State has been announced.

DC FUTURE STATE GIVES FANS A LOOK AT THE FUTURE OF THE DC UNIVERSE THIS JANUARY!

An All-Star Lineup of Writers and Artists to Introduce Future DC Super Heroes and Terrifying New Super-Villains in This Two-Month, Line-Wide Event

Fans to Discover a New Status Quo for Their Favorite Super Heroes and Super-Villains

BURBANK, CA (October 15, 2020) - DC is starting 2021 off with a bang, giving fans a glimpse into futures both near and far, full of current and new characters as the publisher announced plans today for DC Future State, a two-month, line-wide event beginning in January. Through February 2021, the full title lineup will feature a combination of monthly and twice-monthly oversize anthologies, as well as a monthly schedule of miniseries and one-shots.

DC Future State spotlights the World's Greatest Super Heroes in fresh new roles, with all-new characters taking up their iconic mantles. DC Future State features an incredible array of creative talent, combining award-winning writers and artists with new voices from the worlds of TV, movies and animation. In March 2021, the regular DC title lineup resumes, continuing existing story lines from 2020 and introducing new arcs for the year.

In DC Future State, the Multiverse has been saved from the brink of destruction, but the triumph of DC's heroes has shaken loose the very fabric of time and space! The final chapter of Dark Nights: Death Metal (on sale January 5, 2021) brings new life to DC's Multiverse, kicking off this glimpse into the unwritten worlds of DC's future!

"The DC Universe has always been fertile ground for new and refreshing takes on our characters, and DC Future State definitely contributes to this legacy," said DC Executive Editor Marie Javins. "When the event begins in January, some savvy readers will not only pick up on some of the breadcrumbs that have already been tossed out in our current titles, but they will also find new hints and clues of what's to come in 2021."

A stellar array of writers and artists are on hand to deliver this unique look at beloved DC characters, including fan favorites such as Mariko Tamaki, Brian Michael Bendis, Gene Luen Yang, Jo?lle Jones, Joshua Williamson, Nicola Scott, Cully Hamner and John Timms, along with new voices such as award-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years A Slave), Brandon Vietti (Young Justice), Meghan Fitzmartin (Supernatural, DC Super Hero Girls), Brandon Easton (Thundercats, Transformers: War for Cybertron), Alitha Martinez (REPRESENT! It's A Bird!), L.L. McKinney (Nubia: Real One), Paula Sevenbergen (Stargirl) and Siya Oum (Lola XOXO), among others.

Batman Family

In this future, Gotham City is controlled by the Magistrate. This villainous regime has taken control of the city, now under constant surveillance. All masked vigilantes have been outlawed and Batman has been killed. But led by an all-new Batman, a new assembly of Gotham's guardians rise to give hope to all of those who lost it!

Oversized Comics:

Future State: The Next Batman #1-4
The Next Batman, by John Ridley, Nick Derington and Laura Braga
Outsiders, by Brandon Thomas and Sumit Kumar
Arkham Knights, by Paul Jenkins and Jack Herbert
Batgirls, by Vita Ayala and Aneke
Gotham City Sirens, by Paula Sevenbergen and Emanuela Lupacchino
Future State: Dark Detective #1-4
Dark Detective, by Mariko Tamaki and Dan Mora
Grifters, by Matthew Rosenberg and Carmine di Giandomenico
Red Hood, by Joshua Williamson and Giannis Milonogiannis

Monthly Miniseries:

Future State: Batman/Superman, by Gene Luen Yang and Ben Oliver
Future State: Catwoman, by Ram V. and Otto Schmidt
Future State: Harley Quinn, by Stephanie Phillips and Simone Di Meo
Future State: Nightwing, by Andrew Constant and Nicola Scott
Future State: Robin Eternal, by Meghan Fitzmartin and Eddy Barrows

Superman Family

Due to his involvement in an international crisis happening in the near future, Clark Kent has been rejected by Earth, causing him to focus his lifesaving efforts outside his adopted home. He travels to Warworld to rise through the ranks of gladiatorial combat in order to defeat Mongul with the help of some unlikely heroes. Back in Metropolis, Clark's son Jon has taken on the mantle of Superman. After seeing the horrors that befell Gotham, he bottles Metropolis in order to keep it safe, putting him at odds with Supergirl.

Connecting the two oversized Future State: Superman titles, Shilo Norman, the man known as Mister Miracle, finds himself caught between the city he grew up in and the battle-torn planet that could be his downfall.

Meanwhile in the Amazon rainforest, Yara Flor is chosen to be the new Wonder Woman. Years later, the new Superman and Wonder Woman join forces to save their cities in a new superhero team-up the likes of which the world has never seen.

Oversized Comics:

Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1-2
Superman of Metropolis, by Sean Lewis and John Timms
The Guardian, by Sean Lewis and Cully Hamner
Mister Miracle, by Brandon Easton and Valentine De Landro
Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1-4
Superman: Worlds of War, by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Mikel Janin
Midnighter, by Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad and Gleb Melnikov
Black Racer, by Jeremy Adams and Siya Oum
Mister Miracle, by Brandon Easton and Valentine De Landro
Future State: Immortal Wonder Woman #1-2
Immortal Wonder Woman, by Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad and Jen Bartel
Nubia, by L.L. McKinney, Alitha E. Martinez and Mark Morales

Monthly Miniseries and One-Shots

Future State: House of El, by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Scott Godlewski (one-shot on sale February)
Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman, by Marguerite Bennett and Marguerite Sauvage
Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes, by Brian Michael Bendis and Riley Rossmo
Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman, by Dan Watters and Leila del Duca
Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex, by Mark Russell and Steve Pugh (3-issue series ending March 2021)
Future State: Wonder Woman, by Jo?lle Jones

Justice League Family

A thread of great change runs through the Justice League heroes: a new League is built upon secret identities (even from each other), but an old and evolved enemy will use these secrets to try and overthrow the world. For the supernatural heroes of Justice League Dark, the very fabric of reality has shifted, and heroes are being hunted.

For Flash, Shazam, and the Teen Titans, it all begins when the four Riders of the Apocalypse unleash hell in a battle at Titans Academy, Barry Allen is cut off from the Speed Force, a Famine-controlled Wally West may be beyond saving, and Billy Batson makes a deal with the devil that will change Shazam forever. Off-world, John Stewart and the remaining Green Lanterns are stranded in the shadow of a dead power battery; Jackson Hyde and Andy Curry are separated across the galaxy; and Amanda Waller executes her ultimate plan with a new but terrifyingly familiar Suicide Squad on Earth-3.

At the end of time, Swamp Thing reveals its true intention, ruling supreme until a remnant of humanity launches a rebellion, and Black Adam looks to the past as the only way to save the future of the Multiverse.

Oversized Comics:

Future State: Justice League #1-2
Justice League, by Joshua Williamson and Robson Rocha
Justice League Dark, by Ram V. and Marcio Takara
Future State: Green Lantern #1-2
Last Lanterns, by Geoffrey Thorne and Tom Raney
Tales of the Green Lantern Corps, by Josie Campbell, Ryan Cady and Ernie Altbacker, with Sami Basri and Clayton Henry
Future State: Suicide Squad #1-2
Suicide Squad, by Robbie Thompson and Javi Fernandez
Black Adam, by Jeremy Adams and Fernando Pasarin

Monthly Miniseries:

Future State: Aquaman, by Brandon Thomas and Daniel Sampere
Future State: The Flash, by Brandon Vietti and Dale Eaglesham
Future State: Teen Titans, by Tim Sheridan and Rafa Sandoval
Future State: SHAZAM!, by Tim Sheridan and Eduardo Pansica
Future State: Swamp Thing, by Ram V and Mike Perkins

For the latest information on DC Future State and the World?s Greatest Super Heroes, please visit the DC Comics website at www.dccomics.com and follow on social media @DCComics and @thedcnation.

For the Legion that means this - click to enlarge

Not sure I'm exactly a fan. Covid gave us enough of a delay in our Legion. Really not looking forward to more.

And Jon appears to be - click to enlarge

Attached Images FS_LEGION_Cv1_5f872f8c9cf2c1.32260259.jpg Superman_of_Metropolis.png
Last edited by Nightcrawler; 10/15/20 08:54 AM.
Re: Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes, by Brian Michael Bendis and Riley Rossmo
Nightcrawler #993346 10/15/20 09:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Um... ick? Saturn Girl, Bouncing Boy, Brainiac 5, Insect Queen - who's the woman with the gun and the sword wielder? The Jon Kent Superman book looks more appealing.

Does this mean the "normal" Legion resumes in March?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Re: Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes, by Brian Michael Bendis and Riley Rossmo
Fat Cramer #993347 10/15/20 09:35 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

I hope.

Nightcrawler #993348 10/15/20 10:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So this most likely predicts what my 30s are gonna be like and I'm not loving it. I expected it, but still.

Nightcrawler #993349 10/15/20 11:11 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
The *real* future state of DC Comics:

Off my shopping list.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Nightcrawler #993351 10/15/20 11:16 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Everything about this sounds completely awful.

Nightcrawler #993355 10/15/20 11:44 AM
Substitute
Substitute
The solicit isn't exactly filling me with hope...

Whatever happened to the Legion of Super-Heroes? The team is no more, and the United Planets are in total chaos as one of the Legion's own has turned on the entire galaxy! Everyone is affected...and not everyone survived! Ultra Boy tries to put the Legion back together to face the future head on! Find out the fates of all your favorite Legionnaires like Shadow Lass, Triplicate Girl, Brainiac Five, and Bouncing Boy. Plus, a shocking twist in the Legion mythology and a long overdue appearance by the Legion of Substitute Heroes! It's all here in a truly way-out tale by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist extraordinaire Riley Rossmo!

Last edited by Supragirl; 10/15/20 12:02 PM.
Nightcrawler #993356 10/15/20 11:57 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Well, I'll be saving my money for two months.

Nightcrawler #993362 10/15/20 03:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm really and truly sick of how all these future events are so goddamn depressing and bleak. Like, does anyone stop and wonder if that's the last thing we need to see with the way the world is right now?

supragirl #993363 10/15/20 03:34 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Supragirl
The solicit isn't exactly filling me with hope...

Whatever happened to the Legion of Super-Heroes? The team is no more, and the United Planets are in total chaos as one of the Legion's own has turned on the entire galaxy! Everyone is affected...and not everyone survived! Ultra Boy tries to put the Legion back together to face the future head on! Find out the fates of all your favorite Legionnaires like Shadow Lass, Triplicate Girl, Brainiac Five, and Bouncing Boy. Plus, a shocking twist in the Legion mythology and a long overdue appearance by the Legion of Substitute Heroes! It's all here in a truly way-out tale by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist extraordinaire Riley Rossmo!

Thanks! I was trying to find that this morning.

Sarcasm Kid #993364 10/15/20 03:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
I'm really and truly sick of how all these future events are so goddamn depressing and bleak. Like, does anyone stop and wonder if that's the last thing we need to see with the way the world is right now?

Yep.

Sarcasm Kid #993365 10/15/20 03:43 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid

Well said. Plus, the Legion is already in the future. I wish they'd just ignore this "Event" and kept the book as is...with added Subs. And we really don't know enough about the Legion now to then go find out what happened to them. Give us a chance to know these guys first.

I'll read it. Maybe it'll have parts that I like. This just might be Bendis doing his version of 5 Years Later or something before we get to Great Darkness Saga 2.0.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 10/15/20 03:44 PM.
Nightcrawler #993366 10/15/20 03:45 PM
Substitute
Substitute
To me, this feels like the exact opposite of what the Legion stands for. The Legion is about building a better, brighter future.

This is just... depressing.

Nightcrawler #993367 10/15/20 04:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It feels like Didio and Harras's last attempt to make all of us as miserable as possible

Nightcrawler #993376 10/15/20 05:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
To me the solicit makes this sound less like the "One Year Later" thing after Infinite Crisis and more like the "Armageddon 2001" thing of possible futures which probably won't come to pass. I mean the Batman Family has Bruce Wayne dead. That's never going to stay. If it is just effectively imaginary or Elseworlds style then it might still be OK. That's what I'm hoping anyway. There are elements that sound a bit like the 5G thing they were pushing a year or so back but not much. We are told that the status quo will return after the two months so there's that.

As for the Legion solicit in particular, yeah the bleak future idea is getting pretty tired to me. Maybe it's the thought that "we have to shake things up for this so let's swap the hopeful future for a bleak one". Very original. As for the cover although the colour scheme of the central woman immediately made me think of Imra I can never see her wearing a skull mask. I'm thinking (hoping) that these are actually the villains of the piece. That I could maybe get behind.

Basically it all gets down to the writing. Good writing can make a great tale in pretty much any setting. Since Bendis is the writer for the Legion issue - well - it could be good, it could be bad, it could be just mediocre. Have to wait and see. As Superman/Batman would say, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Nightcrawler #993380 10/15/20 05:49 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
totally agree with all the points on how the future should be bright and shiny. that's what got me into the Legion in the first place... the hope for something better.

it's also what inspired me to up and leave a fairly bad home situation and make my future in Europe.

Nightcrawler #993381 10/15/20 06:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Bouncing Boy is now attached to Validus' floating head by a cord? That's... different.

And is that Harley Quinn (or someone related to) at the back with the gun? God, Bendis would be scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel of creativity if he's resorted to putting her in this book to increase sales.

Other than that, I actually don't hate the sound of this. Maybe if I was enjoying the current book more (or at all) I'd feel different?

stile86 #993382 10/15/20 06:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by stile86
As for the cover although the colour scheme of the central woman immediately made me think of Imra I can never see her wearing a skull mask. I'm thinking (hoping) that these are actually the villains of the piece. That I could maybe get behind.

My first thought was that that's clearly Imra in the middle, but your mention of "villains" sparked another thought: What if this is a/the new Fatal Five? Bouncing Boy and "Validus"(?) have an Emerald Empress and her Eye thing going on; "Imra"(?)'s mask is clearly reminiscent of Persuader; I guess that robot Black Racer-looking guy could be a Tharok analog?

Nightcrawler #993383 10/15/20 06:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Harley Quinn? A-and the Legion? Together?

No.

No!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nightcrawler #993384 10/15/20 07:05 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
With the way this title has been going, I wonder if these characters will even be identified in the story.

Nightcrawler #993393 10/15/20 10:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
With the way this title has been going, I wonder if these characters will even be identified in the story.

LOL Some of them may not even appear in the story.

Last edited by Blacula; 10/15/20 10:04 PM.
Fat Cramer #993394 10/15/20 10:18 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Um... ick? Saturn Girl, Bouncing Boy, Brainiac 5, Insect Queen - who's the woman with the gun and the sword wielder? The Jon Kent Superman book looks more appealing.

yes Jim Lee and others have went on record that there will not be a reboot in March following the end of Future Slate/Generations and the regular titles (last seen in December) will resume publication (some probably
with new story arcs and/or directions) and continue existing issue numbering. There will also be some new titles launched (Batgirl?, Harley Quinn?, Green Lantern?) at some point.

stile86 #993395 10/15/20 10:31 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally Posted by stile86
To me the solicit makes this sound less like the "One Year Later" thing after Infinite Crisis and more like the "Armageddon 2001" thing of possible futures which probably won't come to pass. I mean the Batman Family has Bruce Wayne dead. That's never going to stay. If it is just effectively imaginary or Elseworlds style then it might still be OK. That's what I'm hoping anyway. There are elements that sound a bit like the 5G thing they were pushing a year or so back but not much. We are told that the status quo will return after the two months so there's that.

As for the Legion solicit in particular, yeah the bleak future idea is getting pretty tired to me. Maybe it's the thought that "we have to shake things up for this so let's swap the hopeful future for a bleak one". Very original. As for the cover although the colour scheme of the central woman immediately made me think of Imra I can never see her wearing a skull mask. I'm thinking (hoping) that these are actually the villains of the piece. That I could maybe get behind.

Basically it all gets down to the writing. Good writing can make a great tale in pretty much any setting. Since Bendis is the writer for the Legion issue - well - it could be good, it could be bad, it could be just mediocre. Have to wait and see. As Superman/Batman would say, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Strong rumor is that Bruce Wayne being dead is just a solitics thing and in the actual story he is just presumed dead but really active behind the scenes. Also you are correct that this seems like 5G because basically it is. The 5G event and reboot were cancelled after Didio was fired. But because work was already being done, creators being paid, etc Pam and others decided to not take a loss (AT&T you know) and make lemonade out of lemons. So they reused what they could of 5G and turned it into Future Slate, which apparently will end up being an alternate future/timeline.

Nightcrawler #993398 10/16/20 01:31 AM
Active
Active
It has already been confirmed by Batman group editor Ben Abernathy that Batman is dead but this story will feature a very-much-alive Bruce Wayne.

The second anthology, Dark Detective, will lead with a titular story by Mariko Tamaki and Dan Mora. Spoilers - although DC (and the Magistrate) say Batman is dead, Abernathy confirms this story will feature a very-much-alive Bruce Wayne.

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-futur...ce-wayne-and-a-whole-new-line-of-titles/
https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-future-state-details/

On another note about the event:
Then in March, the regular DC title lineup resumes with the numbering of existing series in-tact, "continuing existing storylines from 2020 and introducing new arcs for the year."

In other words, and as we've been reporting for a while, Future State will not lead to a reboot.

"In DC Future State, the Multiverse has been saved from the brink of destruction, but the triumph of DC's heroes has shaken loose the very fabric of time and space!" reads DC's description. "The final chapter of Dark Nights: Death Metal (on sale January 5, 2021) brings new life to DC's Multiverse, kicking off this glimpse into the unwritten worlds of DC's future!"

Nightcrawler #993403 10/16/20 01:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
oh thank goodness. I can just read it with "it's ONLY a temporary event / elseworlds"" blaring through my mind.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,983
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Singularity
Singularity
Texas