Roll Call
0 members (), 29 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: The 2nd All Avengers Thread
Ann Hebistand #1030078 09/19/23 01:20 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Lardy, what I personally consider ironic about Eric Masterson's brief Avengers tenure is that I liked him a lot better there, as written by Bob Harras, than as written by his creator, Tom DeFalco, in both Thor and in Thunderstrike.

Now, I have to qualify that by saying that I was never a regular follower of either series when DeFalco was the writer. The few times I read Eric outside of the Avengers, his intended everyman persona seemed overbearing, even borderline obnoxious at times. I liked Harras's take on him better, but I'd be spoiling things to come in future Avengers issues if I elaborated further at this time.

Like I tried to say above, I liked Thunderstrike, but I read very few of his stories. I left Thor very quickly into DeFalco & Frenz's run because it was apparent they were walking back Walt Simonson's visual and story changes and going more "back to basics". (I've sampled some of the run in the past few years, and while some of my then-perceptions are correct, the run shouldn't be dismissed with a broad cloth.)

But I did like his look (though admittedly '90s grunge-inspired), his more relatable "everyman" (as you put it) vibe and the idea of Thor continuing to be a mantle that could be passed on (as Simonson did with Beta Ray Bill). I picked up the first couple of issues of his solo series, but my CBS closing made me discontinue newer pickups and focus on tracking down issues of my essential books online.

In a way, Eric kinda delivered on how I feel Donald Blake maybe should have been handled. Taken literally, the enchantment put on Mjolnir means that any person deemed worthy could wield the power. Donald actually being an amnesiac Thor was kind of a cheat. Thor could literally be Thor as the alter ego, but if Donald were a separate individual, that sounds more interesting. When I read Silver and Bronze Age Thor, I never get the feeling that Don matters, which is likely why Walt discarded him. With Eric, even though he's never truly Thor when he transforms, Eric always matters and is crucial to everything that happens, including the fact that he has a teenage (or tween?) son.

Originally Posted by Annfie
The other irony is that when Eric was written out of the Avengers so that the Real Thor could return and Eric could become Thunderstrike, Harras basically had Dane Whitman take over the everyman role on the team. And back then, I loved the results! However, in 20-20 hindsight I have far more mixed feelings. Again, I'd be spoiling what lies ahead in this run if I were to elaborate right now.

That's an idea that hasn't occurred to me and that I'm struggling with grasping, having read the entire run not long ago. I guess I never thought of him as an everyman but more as a key player in an epic struggle and a romantic lead. The latter didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, but I guess it never could...

Originally Posted by Annfie
To address some of your other points, I was a regular reader of Avengers from 356 through 384. And just as Spider-Man's guest appearance in 237 was what brought you aboard the Avengers, a guest appearance from Black Panther in 356 was what brought me in.

I felt at the time, and still feel today, that it was unfair for the Busieks of the world to say that the creators of this Avengers Era were trying to X-Men up the team. I was reading both series at the same time and felt like each team had its own distinctive flavor. Moreover, even if Harras WAS deliberately trying to do just that, the results were PLEASING TO ME -- which, in my opinion, is what matters most.

Again this was my perception because of how I perceived the art style and the closer ties to the X-books. A Sh'iar character like Deathcry and her Liefeld-esque name and design were a part of that. But I know now that it was just Harras utilizing the larger Marvel Universe and some existing character ties. The perception was definitely unfair and was shaded by my disillusionment with the X-Men after having been a fan for quite some time.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ann Hebistand #1030079 09/19/23 02:17 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Re: Avengers 344.......

I see what you mean about the art looking rough in spaces. In my Omnibus, the colors are also washed out on some pages--not sure if it's so in the floppies or a flaw in the collection transfer. The main page I noticed this is when Herk first comes charging in. Being that Palmer was also the colorist, this reinforces your speculation about his work not being up to par. Perhaps he had the worst of the deadline crunch this issue?

I loved the main fight between Dane and the Swordsman. It did make me wonder about how Dane's new energy sword works. Apparently, it can be solid enough to clash with an actual sword but ethereal enough to penetrate a man's body to deliver only a neurological disruption. It may be exaplained by Swordsman's weapon being able to fire energy bolts, which may make its energy qualities compatible to Dane's. It was fun to watch, as were the tantalizing clues that this might actually be the Swordsman returned.

Seeing Magdalene and Herk clash on a second read made me think that this might be how a clash between Herk and Big Barda might go. Magdalene has some small resemblance in her design to Barda, and her fierce protection of Swordsman reminds me of Barda toward Scott Free. Barda's weapon is much shorter, but I could see her being a match for Herk herself. That was fun for me as was the likelihood that getting hurt like this by a woman probably damaged his male pride--hence the quote you shared. That's my take, anyway.

I liked the Jarvis/Marilla encounter better than you. Jarvis is so respected and given no oversight that it is funny to see someone come in and just not be impressed at all with him. The "skin and bones" cracks were pretty chuckleworthy, as were the criticisms of his cooking.

The OGS asides were definitely distracting, especially as the storyline was omitted completely from the Omnibus. I've yet to read OGS, but I do want to some day. But it's a distraction and a gap in a collection of the Gathering Saga as is. I do love, however, Epting's drawing of the ship and the spacescape in that first aside. The other OGS asides were well drawn, also.

I will say that Proctor looks VERY '90s! That's not entirely a bad thing, but he's definitely a product of his time visually. He looks kind of like a cross between the Beyonder in human form and various characters that John Romita drew in his X-Men run. So Proctor isn't my favorite design, but I don't exactly hate it either. I'm trying to compare it to the person whose identity he is later revealed to be--there's some vague resemblance, but it's quite a stretch. I suppose that's good because there wouldn't be much mystery otherwise.

Ann Hebistand #1030091 09/19/23 09:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
As for OGS.........

Obviously, I've never read it, but hope to, as stated previously. The Gathering Omnibus has a three-sentence summary of it, consisting basically of: 1) The Supreme Intelligence put a plot into motion to pit the Kree and Skrull against each other in a renewed war. 2) The SI sets off a Nega-bomb killing trillions of its own Kree, hoping to jumpstart their evolution. 3) A faction of Avengers and allies decide to execute the SI for his capitol crime, with Dane delivering the killing blow. It fails to mention the SI basically survives in the method you mention, unbeknownst to the Avengers. I guess what matters is that the Avengers and the universe at large believe the SI is dead, setting up repercussions in upcoming issues, which serve as one of the 2 major recurring secondary threats (the other one being the one that results in the eventual Blood Ties crossover) beyond the central Gatherers storyline in this long run contained in the Omnibus.

It looks like the part that may be feeding the larger Gatherers saga within OGS is the subtle connection you hint at between Dane and Sersi's behavior. That certainly becomes significant over time.

Ann Hebistand #1030110 09/20/23 10:31 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I kinda wish there was something more to that blue/pink Kree divide, because of the 'Kree can't have mutants / super-mutates because of no Celestial genetic tinkering.' The Kree went and tinkered with early humans, to create the Inhumans, as part of experiments into how to A) potentially give themselves super-powered people, or B) at least create super-powered subject races to use as weapons.

I always felt like the blue Kree were the ancestral Kree, and the 'pink Kree' were hybrids of human and Kree, so that these 'pink Kree' *could* have super-human powers, as some of them, like Mar-Vell, clearly did. (It would certainly be an interesting explanation for why the blues were so nasty to the pinks, even if, many centuries later, the rank-and-file blue Kree would have no idea at all of why the pink Kree looked different anymore, and why some pinks like Mar-Vell felt more at home on Earth, than Hala...)

And then various *blue* Kree appeared with superhuman powers (and not just from amazing tech, like Ronan's 'Univeral Weapon'), even before the Supreme Intelligence's metahuman gene bomb thingie, and I gave up trying to make sense of it. Apparently blue Kree *could* have super-powers, even without the Supreme Intelligence's tinkering, so what the hell was it thinking, blowing up 90% of his race so that the survivors could have *slightly more* superhumans than before?

Good grief, just outfit them all with Universal Weapons, or battlesuits using advanced Kree tech 1000 years beyond what Tony Stark uses? Or learn psychic powers like telepathy and telekinesis, that it's already been established that non-mutant folk like Mantis, Moondragon and Marvel Boy can straight up *learn* from aliens? Or run a couple thousand recruits through magical boot camp (a Kree Hogwarts!), and field a bunch of mystics or summon and bind a bunch of demons or mindless ones or N'garai (cause *that* never goes horribly, horribly wrong, and ends up becoming the basis for a new story!). smile

There's like, *at least* a dozen power sources in the marvel universe that should have been explored before 'bomb my own species and hope some of the survivors get super-powers!'

I did enjoy the line up during these days, and wish Dane Whitman, in particular, had better storylines then, and was treated a hell of a lot better *now.* (His last solo mini had him derided and badmouthed by the likes of Thor and Black Panther, as he was reduced to the same sort of mostly-incompetent screw-up, held in contempt by his fellow heroes, that Clint Barton and Scott Lang have been reduced to in their latest minis.)

Last edited by Set; 09/20/23 10:34 AM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Lard Lad #1030166 09/22/23 06:29 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Lard Lad
Re: Avengers 344.......

I see what you mean about the art looking rough in spaces. In my Omnibus, the colors are also washed out on some pages--not sure if it's so in the floppies or a flaw in the collection transfer. The main page I noticed this is when Herk first comes charging in. Being that Palmer was also the colorist, this reinforces your speculation about his work not being up to par. Perhaps he had the worst of the deadline crunch this issue?

I loved the main fight between Dane and the Swordsman. It did make me wonder about how Dane's new energy sword works. Apparently, it can be solid enough to clash with an actual sword but ethereal enough to penetrate a man's body to deliver only a neurological disruption. It may be exaplained by Swordsman's weapon being able to fire energy bolts, which may make its energy qualities compatible to Dane's. It was fun to watch, as were the tantalizing clues that this might actually be the Swordsman returned.

Seeing Magdalene and Herk clash on a second read made me think that this might be how a clash between Herk and Big Barda might go. Magdalene has some small resemblance in her design to Barda, and her fierce protection of Swordsman reminds me of Barda toward Scott Free. Barda's weapon is much shorter, but I could see her being a match for Herk herself. That was fun for me as was the likelihood that getting hurt like this by a woman probably damaged his male pride--hence the quote you shared. That's my take, anyway.

I liked the Jarvis/Marilla encounter better than you. Jarvis is so respected and given no oversight that it is funny to see someone come in and just not be impressed at all with him. The "skin and bones" cracks were pretty chuckleworthy, as were the criticisms of his cooking.

The OGS asides were definitely distracting, especially as the storyline was omitted completely from the Omnibus. I've yet to read OGS, but I do want to some day. But it's a distraction and a gap in a collection of the Gathering Saga as is. I do love, however, Epting's drawing of the ship and the spacescape in that first aside. The other OGS asides were well drawn, also.

I will say that Proctor looks VERY '90s! That's not entirely a bad thing, but he's definitely a product of his time visually. He looks kind of like a cross between the Beyonder in human form and various characters that John Romita drew in his X-Men run. So Proctor isn't my favorite design, but I don't exactly hate it either. I'm trying to compare it to the person whose identity he is later revealed to be--there's some vague resemblance, but it's quite a stretch. I suppose that's good because there wouldn't be much mystery otherwise.

RE: Magdalene and Big Barda, I have it from reliable sources that that was precisely the creative team's intent. Kudos to you, Lardy, for spotting that straightaway!

RE: Jarvis & Marilla, fair enough. Your point about Jarvis being unaccustomed to having his authority undermined is valid and well taken.

RE: Proctor, again, fair enough. The JR comment made me chuckle -- I've learned to better appreciate a lot of his work (i.e. Thor) and some of it I always thought was perfect for him (Daredevil), but his X-Men runs, especially the second one, still look awful to me (legend has it that one of the associate editors in the X-Men office actually called out JR on the half-assed job he was doing!

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #1030297 09/26/23 07:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
RE: Magdalene and Big Barda, I have it from reliable sources that that was precisely the creative team's intent. Kudos to you, Lardy, for spotting that straightaway!

"reliable sources"? hmmm I would be curious to know more about them! nod

I'm curious if the Barda connection ever occurred to you before having this apparent confirmation. If you hadn't been familiar with her at the time of your originally experiencing this run, maybe not. I think I may not have noticed until I reread the issue a few days ago to provide commentary here. Obviously Magdalene is a lot different, with the similarities being fairly superficial but noticeable, but IYKYK.

Originally Posted by Le Ficque
RE: Jarvis & Marilla, fair enough. Your point about Jarvis being unaccustomed to having his authority undermined is valid and well taken.

I also like that this subplot gives him something to do other than be a hostage or a victim or just to show that he's there to greet people and serve them food and make the expected dry comment.

I'm unsure whether Jarvis' mother was still alive or had ever been seen on camera, but it would have been funny if Harras had her visit and meet Marilla. I'm not sure if it would be funnier to see her going at it with Marilla in her son's defense or having her take Marilla's side and humiliating him more! "Oh, dear, Jarvis--you ARE skin and bones!" lol

RE: Proctor, again, fair enough. The JR comment made me chuckle -- I've learned to better appreciate a lot of his work (i.e. Thor) and some of it I always thought was perfect for him (Daredevil), but his X-Men runs, especially the second one, still look awful to me (legend has it that one of the associate editors in the X-Men office actually called out JR on the half-assed job he was doing!

I'm not sure of when his second run began or whether I was still with the book to know anything about the quality. I certainly enjoyed his first run, but having reread part of it recently in Marvel Masterworks, it's surprising that such a fast artist had many more fill-ins than I remembered. His run was relatively short, too, though longer than Paul Smith's to that point in time. I would definitely take Cockrum, Byrne or Smith ahead of JRJr, though.

Set #1030299 09/26/23 07:38 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Set
I kinda wish there was something more to that blue/pink Kree divide, because of the 'Kree can't have mutants / super-mutates because of no Celestial genetic tinkering.' The Kree went and tinkered with early humans, to create the Inhumans, as part of experiments into how to A) potentially give themselves super-powered people, or B) at least create super-powered subject races to use as weapons.

I always felt like the blue Kree were the ancestral Kree, and the 'pink Kree' were hybrids of human and Kree, so that these 'pink Kree' *could* have super-human powers, as some of them, like Mar-Vell, clearly did. (It would certainly be an interesting explanation for why the blues were so nasty to the pinks, even if, many centuries later, the rank-and-file blue Kree would have no idea at all of why the pink Kree looked different anymore, and why some pinks like Mar-Vell felt more at home on Earth, than Hala...)

And then various *blue* Kree appeared with superhuman powers (and not just from amazing tech, like Ronan's 'Univeral Weapon'), even before the Supreme Intelligence's metahuman gene bomb thingie, and I gave up trying to make sense of it. Apparently blue Kree *could* have super-powers, even without the Supreme Intelligence's tinkering, so what the hell was it thinking, blowing up 90% of his race so that the survivors could have *slightly more* superhumans than before?

Good grief, just outfit them all with Universal Weapons, or battlesuits using advanced Kree tech 1000 years beyond what Tony Stark uses? Or learn psychic powers like telepathy and telekinesis, that it's already been established that non-mutant folk like Mantis, Moondragon and Marvel Boy can straight up *learn* from aliens? Or run a couple thousand recruits through magical boot camp (a Kree Hogwarts!), and field a bunch of mystics or summon and bind a bunch of demons or mindless ones or N'garai (cause *that* never goes horribly, horribly wrong, and ends up becoming the basis for a new story!). smile

There's like, *at least* a dozen power sources in the marvel universe that should have been explored before 'bomb my own species and hope some of the survivors get super-powers!'

My take is that the SI is supposedly over rational and obsessed with its people being genetic 'dead ends'. I don't think this is all about the ability for the Kree to have super powers but for the SI's drive to have the Kree be superior to all races in the known universes. Knowing that the Kree are not and apparently have no hope of being superior has made the SI rational to the point of insanity. Justifying almost complete genocide of its own charges in an effort to make them better is insane extremist logic. Of course there are other ways to make your side superior or at least better, but the SI simply cannot see that. It's the SI's biggest flaw--other than being ugly as fuck! lol

Originally Posted by Set
I did enjoy the line up during these days, and wish Dane Whitman, in particular, had better storylines then, and was treated a hell of a lot better *now.* (His last solo mini had him derided and badmouthed by the likes of Thor and Black Panther, as he was reduced to the same sort of mostly-incompetent screw-up, held in contempt by his fellow heroes, that Clint Barton and Scott Lang have been reduced to in their latest minis.)

The phrasing here makes it seem like you wish Dane had better storylines during this run. Maybe you truly meant before AND after (the latter is stated pretty clearly in your post above), but I don't know how any Avenger could ask for a better role than Dane got during the Gathering storyline. To me, he is clearly the romantic male lead and the most important male character. You could argue he is THE main character of this entire run! Maybe some don't find his role and all of his actions and emotions to their taste, but this is the Black Knight, front and center, in the kind of role I always wanted to see him in before I finally read this Omnibus! His potential as a lead character is finally realised here, and I'm stoked to talk more about it as we go further.

Lard Lad #1030302 09/26/23 09:54 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The phrasing here makes it seem like you wish Dane had better storylines during this run. Maybe you truly meant before AND after (the latter is stated pretty clearly in your post above), but I don't know how any Avenger could ask for a better role than Dane got during the Gathering storyline. To me, he is clearly the romantic male lead and the most important male character. You could argue he is THE main character of this entire run! Maybe some don't find his role and all of his actions and emotions to their taste, but this is the Black Knight, front and center, in the kind of role I always wanted to see him in before I finally read this Omnibus! His potential as a lead character is finally realised here, and I'm stoked to talk more about it as we go further.

Not specifically this run, but in general, at this time, I feel like Dane was being positioned for a solo run by his prominence in this era, and could have gone on to be a solo star on par with the likes of Ghost Rider, Daredevil or Wolverine (if not one of the real breakout solo stars like Spider-Man!). But his 'leading man' role here never really seemed to pay off, and he fell all too quickly into obscurity, IMO, after this run.

(As did others who were prominent in this era, like Sersi, who, granted, is perhaps a bit too versatile and powerful for a significant solo run, since it's hard to challenge her without truly epic world-shaking threats, and those get kind of old if they are happening every month...)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Lard Lad #1030412 10/02/23 10:36 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar

"reliable sources"? hmmm I would be curious to know more about them! nod

I must confess I was exaggerating there. It's really just a couple posts I saw in the comments sections of websites such as Marvel Universe Appendix or Super Mega Monkey -- I just figured, if the poster cares enough to have gone and tried to find out who Magdalene is an analog of, then she or he should be trustworthy.

Originally Posted by Lardy
I'm curious if the Barda connection ever occurred to you before having this apparent confirmation. If you hadn't been familiar with her at the time of your originally experiencing this run, maybe not. I think I may not have noticed until I reread the issue a few days ago to provide commentary here. Obviously Magdalene is a lot different, with the similarities being fairly superficial but noticeable, but IYKYK.

Here I can categorically state that it never occurred to me before reading the aforementioned comments. But after I did, I said to myself, "Of course!" I even made up a fan origin for Magdalene -- she's the daughter of Scarlet Witch and Wonder Man, but somehow ended up serving in the all-female army of a Darkseid analog (not Thanos, he's too much of a misogynist to have his own Female Furies.) The reasons I decided on Wanda and Simon are because a hybird of her magic and his ionic powers would be truly formidable, because Marissa Darrow was witchy-looking, and because Wanda's mother (Magneto's late wife) was named Magda.

I also like that this subplot gives him something to do other than be a hostage or a victim or just to show that he's there to greet people and serve them food and make the expected dry comment.

I'm unsure whether Jarvis' mother was still alive or had ever been seen on camera, but it would have been funny if Harras had her visit and meet Marilla. I'm not sure if it would be funnier to see her going at it with Marilla in her son's defense or having her take Marilla's side and humiliating him more! "Oh, dear, Jarvis--you ARE skin and bones!" lol

Now that scenario you came up with about his mother meeting Marilla, that I would have loved to see. I'm honestly not sure if Mrs. Jarvis has ever been seen on camera.

I'm not sure of when his second run began or whether I was still with the book to know anything about the quality. I certainly enjoyed his first run, but having reread part of it recently in Marvel Masterworks, it's surprising that such a fast artist had many more fill-ins than I remembered. His run was relatively short, too, though longer than Paul Smith's to that point in time. I would definitely take Cockrum, Byrne or Smith ahead of JRJr, though.

Objectively, I'd say that I find JRJr's first X-Men run palatable for its early issues (especially the one inked by his father, where Colossus gets flash-frozen at the end.) It looks a lot like the later issues of his Amazing Spider-Man run, and that style can appeal to me sometimes -- as a matter of fact, Greg Capullo, whose work on Quasar I was praising several posts earlier, was quite reminiscent of JRJr circa 1983-84 at that point in his artistic evolution. The second X-Men run was brief (again, probably because the associate editor told him to shape up or get lost) and it was from Uncanny X-Men issues 300 through 311, with a lot of fill-in artists early on -- cover dates are May 1993 through April 1994, which according to your descriptions in previous posts would be right around the time you stopped following the X-Men (full disclosure: JRJr drew the UXM tie-in for Bloodties, issue 307, and yes, I will be reviewing Bloodties, so consider yourself forewarned. LOL)

Ann Hebistand #1032981 01/23/24 04:29 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Avengers v9 issue 9 is the first one in a while that isn't stultifyingly boring. It also ends with a good cliffhanger, promising a Big Reveal next issue.

I think M'yrrdn is going to turn out to be Ravonna.

Best of all, it has Stuart Immonen homaging the classic Gil Kane/John Romita Avengers vs Squadron Supreme cover from issue 141!

Ann Hebistand #1033782 02/15/24 05:43 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
Issue 10 of Avengers v9 is so bad it made me want to bathe in tomato juice. Possibly the worst Avengers-Kang story ever, but definitely the worst ending ever to a Kang story.

We still haven't been shown who M'yrrdn really is!

Then, there's also an interminable "intervention" staged by Wanda and Thor -- it's for Nightmare! I wish I was joking!

At least next month's issue features the return of Edwin Jarvis. There's no way they can screw that up.

Or is there? shudder

Ann Hebistand #1034182 02/28/24 02:10 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
I just made the decision I had hoped I would never have to make:

After more than 30 years of staying loyal to Avengers, I will no longer be following the current series. I can't even guarantee that I'll give the next writer a chance. The damage is just too thorough. And sometimes even the most loyal fan needs to recognize that it's time to move on.

As of right now, the only series I'm following is Birds of Prey, for however long Kelly Thompson is writing it. And no matter who turns out to be the next Legion writer, I'll still give their first issue a fair chance.

Back on topic, and trying to wrap this up on a positive note, maybe now I'll finally resume the Gathering re-read.

Ann Hebistand #1035706 13 minutes ago
Independent Scholar
OP Online Sleepy
Independent Scholar
I'm not making any promises, but I'm reasonably hopeful that I'll resume the 30th Anniversary Re-read of "The Gathering" later today. This is where I left off:

AVENGERS 349 (Cover Date July 1992)

Reviewing this issue is bittersweet for me, knowing as I now do that not only will the subplot Harras seeds in it will remain unresolved when Epting leaves, but also that its eventual resolution will contribute to my decision to stop reading the Avengers with issue 384.

What makes it even more painful is that it's a subplot involving Hercules, a character I love, and the Olympian Gods he is related to -- specifically, his half-brother Ares, God of War, and his stepmother, Hera. To see Epting get a chance to draw Olympus -- even for just a few panels -- makes my heart skip a beat. It's so beautiful, yet so poignant in its ephemerality.

But let's start from the start -- the issue opens with Black Knight taking the Avengers Skycar out for a joyride, with Crystal and Hercules as passengers. Dane just wants to blow off some steam because the last several days have been frustrating. A thorough investigation of the remains of Marissa Darrow's apartment has turned up nothing to clue in the Avengers about her disappearance, or about her resemblance to the team's enemy Magdalene. Now, there's blowing off steam and there's reckless endangerment of yourself and your passengers -- Dane obviously crossed that line long before we came in. Rather predictably, the Skycar begins to malfunction, and the trio of Avengers are only saved by Hercules using his big, tough demigod hands the way cyclists use their feet to stop an out-of-control vehicle.

The background changes to become the Olympian Pool of Revelations. Hera and Ares are doing what Marvel Universe Gods usually did in their classic portrayals, being decadent and petty and vindictive while sniping at each other. Both are annoyed by Hercules and are feeling bored enough and mean enough to place a wager on which one of them can bring Hercules the most sorrow.

Two days later, Dane's inspection of the Skycar reveals that sabotage took place just before his ill-fated joyride. He also suspects a connection between the sabotage and the Swordsman/Magdalene/Marissa mystery; Dane plans to corroborate his theory by comparing the energy signatures from Marissa's apartment to the energy traces on the Skycar.

In strides Hercules, with Crystal and Eric Masterson close behind, to announce to Dane, Vision, and Black Widow that he has been invited to visit a children's hospice to cheer up the patients for a while; Crystal and Eric have agreed to accompany Herc.

Crystal earnestly invites Dane to join them, citing the Knight's friendliness to her baby daughter Luna, but Dane turns down the invite. The reason he gives is that he needs to keep working on the damaged Skycar, but the real reason is that he still feels awkward about his crush on Crystal. Vision also turns down Crystal, saying that he fears his appearance would probably frighten the kids (probably not, but is an ugly look compared to the classic red, green, and yellow.)

Later, at the children's hospital, Herc and Eric are being gracious guests and putting on a show for the kids, while Crystal chats with Taylor Madison, a pretty blonde hospital volunteer who organized this event. Then, Ares and Hera arrive at the hospital, invisible to all present -- including Herc and Eric -- and with evil intent. Ares's plan turns out to involve him possessing Eric and assaulting Hercules relentlessly, in the hopes that Herc will snap and kill Eric in a rage. When one of the kids fails to evacuate the scene because his teddy bear got left behind, Taylor bravely rushes to rescue him, while Hera cryptically gloats to herself that Taylor is now becoming an innocent trapped in the world of the Gods (something which the resolution to this subplot, which I'll get to at the end of this review, will contradict.) Predictably, Ares threatens Taylor and the kid, and Hercules, after tumbling to the fact that his friend has been possessed by Ares, rallies to resume the fight and save the mortals from harm. Crystal, whom Ares had knocked unconscious a short while back, is now recovered and ready to help any way she can. Herc grabs Eric's wrist and begins smashing the Uru hammer on the ground. At Herc's prompting, Crystal adds her own elemental powers to the resulting lightning bolt, which then strikes both Herc and Eric, finally freeing Eric from Ares's possession. Ares, in turn, becomes visible to others, and Hera makes herself visible. Hercules furiously scolds his relations for endangering mortal with their foolish games. Hera merely laughs and teleports herself and Ares back to Olympus. Eric quips, "Sheesh, and I thought I had family problems" while Hercules makes apologies to Taylor, who is as concerned for his well being as she is for everyone else's. In Olympus, Ares grumbles that his plan may have faiiled, but Hera didn't accomplish anything, either. Hera replies that her plan is far more subtle than his, and we the image in the Pool of Revelations confirms that Taylor has something to do with Hera's scheme.

In case anyone does want to see this subplot play itself out beyond the issues I am re-reading, I will put the spoilers in a box:

In issue 384, Taylor turns out to be a mindless, soulless construct of Hera's, which, as I said, contradicts Hera's soliloquy in issue 349! Hercules, who has had a touch-and-go romance with Taylor over the course of three dozen issues, is understandably chagrined, leading Zeus, who was onto Hera's scheme from the start, to take away Herc's demigod powers. Shortly after this, Herc's speech patterns became erratic, sometimes colloquial, and sometimes archaic -- and I vastly prefer the latter. VASTLY! What could have been a classic Avengers storyline to rival Roger Stern & John Buscema's "Assault on Olympus" instead ends up being unsatisfying and frustrating.

So, as I said, I like this issue, but it's tainted. I do, however, give Harras the benefit of the doubt that his original plans were far different from, and far better than, what eventually saw print. And, to wrap up this review on a positive note, Epting & Palmer turn in another excellent job on the art. Just look at Crystal's sweet facial expression when she asks Dane to come to the children's hospital with her -- I ask you, how can anybody see her drawn that way and not love her?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,961
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Legolas
Legolas
on the lam!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star