Roll Call
0 members (), 32 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/08/24 03:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/08/24 03:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
If life gives you Lemnos...
#1001437 04/24/21 04:19 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
...make lemnoade.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Re: If life gives you Lemnos...
Ann Hebistand #1001439 04/24/21 04:36 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Put him in the freezer and chuck him at the villain pissing you off!

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Ann Hebistand #1001441 04/24/21 04:44 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Combine the lemnoade with vodka and pour them in to ice cube trays to freeze them, then use that later in iced tea.

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 04/24/21 04:52 PM.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Ann Hebistand #1001454 04/24/21 06:27 PM
Ivy Offline
Substitute
Substitute
This is where my age becomes an issue, who is Lemnos?

Ann Hebistand #1001457 04/24/21 06:48 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Praetor Lemnos was a Threeboot Legion villain. I think he'd originally been intended to be a Mordru-level arch-antagonist, but it quickly became clear he wasn't cutting it. One of many reasons why the Threeboot went off the rails so fast and so definitively (in my opinion, of course.)

Ann Hebistand #1001460 04/24/21 07:05 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
He's an interesting concept. He has a power that causes people to forget his existence, and so he uses this to become a behind-the-scenes master political manipulator. Though I was never really clear on exactly what he was trying to achieve.

Ann Hebistand #1001461 04/24/21 07:10 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
I'd forgotten what exactly his power was. Thanks, EDE.

Maybe his appearances would read better if soundtracked by the Who's "Who Are You." lol

Ann Hebistand #1001464 04/24/21 07:30 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
"Motion In Limine" is a legal term I see lots as I shovel through piles of papers at the office.

Now my brain is trying to decipher what kind of powers an antagonist called Praetor Limine would have.

In the Threeboot, P.L.'s undoing was Shrinking Violet literally bursting from his body in the grand tradition of *Alien*.

Makes me wonder: what would've happened to Violet if he'd known she was there beforehand, and he'd caused her to forget his existence.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ann Hebistand #1001466 04/24/21 07:40 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
In Limine is an album by Finisterre, which I'm now inspired to listen to.

Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I'd forgotten what exactly his power was. Thanks, EDE.

I mean... it's like he's a massive setup for jokes about what a forgettable villain he is!

cleome57 #1001469 04/24/21 10:34 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by CLANG_Potroast
In the Threeboot, P.L.'s undoing was Shrinking Violet literally bursting from his body in the grand tradition of *Alien*.

Makes me wonder: what would've happened to Violet if he'd known she was there beforehand, and he'd caused her to forget his existence.

Splitting hairs here, but it was actually Elysion who was the victim of that iteration of Salu's IDGAF personality. smile

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I mean... it's like he's a massive setup for jokes about what a forgettable villain he is!

Who are we talking about again?

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 04/24/21 10:37 PM.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Ann Hebistand #1001473 04/24/21 11:09 PM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Poor what's his name. He just wanted to be remembered. Maybe have a building named after him, or be immortalized in wax at Madame Toussad's...

Instead, all he got was a tombstone that read, "IDK who's buried here, but anyway, he's dead."

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #1001474 04/24/21 11:34 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
"Oh! Hey! It's that guy!

Next!"

Ann Hebistand #1001477 04/25/21 02:58 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I can?t actually remember. Was there a villain in that issue? I thought Brainiac 5 was just yelling at a cloud

cleome57 #1001485 04/25/21 06:23 AM
Ivy Offline
Substitute
Substitute

Oh goodness, no offence but now I?m glad I didn?t read that issue. The threeboot always seemed a little to edgy for me. I like the adventure and story of the original and the 90?s/early 00?s reboot over the darker stuff that came after.

Ivy #1001488 04/25/21 07:01 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Ivy

Oh goodness, no offence but now I?m glad I didn?t read that issue. The threeboot always seemed a little to edgy for me. I like the adventure and story of the original and the 90?s/early 00?s reboot over the darker stuff that came after.

Agreed 100 percent. I still think the Reboot Legion should have stayed, and that instead of making the Legionnaires themselves edgy, there should have been a new version of the Workforce or the Amazers, some of whom were from the same planets as the Legionnaires, only younger and angrier.

Ann Hebistand #1001490 04/25/21 07:45 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I always loved the relative hopefulness of the Reboot. Something to aspire to smile

Ivy #1001495 04/25/21 08:50 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Ivy

I think you're in good company!

Gaseous Lad #1001497 04/25/21 09:56 AM
Ivy Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Thanks, and I have got to say despite being young and the new girl you, Invisible Brainiac, and Ann Hebistand have been so kind and helpful to me, so far it has been really nice getting to know you guys.

Ivy #1001498 04/25/21 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Ivy
Thanks, and I have got to say despite being young and the new girl you, Invisible Brainiac, and Ann Hebistand have been so kind and helpful to me, so far it has been really nice getting to know you guys.
Originally Posted by Ivy

I read it several years after Waid left the book, via the first couple of trades. So I experienced it differently than other fans did, probably. Especially since I'd been on a decade-plus hiatus from superhero stuff at the time.

My advice is: go to the library and get those first two trades like I did. I wasn't wild about everything Waid tried to do. I also bailed before the inevitable later stories roped into Big Event-Crossovers and so on. (The endless succession of those after the success of *Crisis* and *Secret Wars* were what killed my love for the genre in the first place.) BUT- he genuinely went for different ideas and a different tone. You could argue that with Kitson's style of art to help along, he genuinely succeeded at times in amalgamating the shiny sweetness of earlier incarnations and the darker, sadder vibe of 5YL. I'd say some of it's worth at least one read just for that.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Ann Hebistand #1001506 04/25/21 11:57 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
The threeboot is definitely a mixed bag. I'm not sure I would describe it as "darker" or "edgier" than DnA's run, though.

A couple of the early issues were really good, and Tony Bedard's brief arc between the Waid/Kitson run and the Shooter run was really solid, imo.

Eryk Davis Ester #1001507 04/25/21 12:40 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Ivy

Aw, thanks. blush smile I'll echo the sentiment being someone who is back after many many years. Its nice to have a place online that's not an internet scream fest.

My advice is: go to the library and get those first two trades like I did. I wasn't wild about everything Waid tried to do. I also bailed before the inevitable later stories roped into Big Event-Crossovers and so on. (The endless succession of those after the success of *Crisis* and *Secret Wars* were what killed my love for the genre in the first place.) BUT- he genuinely went for different ideas and a different tone. You could argue that with Kitson's style of art to help along, he genuinely succeeded at times in amalgamating the shiny sweetness of earlier incarnations and the darker, sadder vibe of 5YL. I'd say some of it's worth at least one read just for that.
The threeboot is definitely a mixed bag. I'm not sure I would describe it as "darker" or "edgier" than DnA's run, though.

A couple of the early issues were really good, and Tony Bedard's brief arc between the Waid/Kitson run and the Shooter run was really solid, imo.

Going to the library is a great idea to check it out, if they have them locally. And I agree with the sentiments above. I actually very much enjoyed the first storyline which lasted a little over a year, I think, which was most of Waid's tenure. Then I kind of lost interest, but I don't remember why.

I never really understood why they made the threeboot in the first place, to be honest. With the Lightning Saga happening in the rest of DC and Lo3W soon after, it seemed an odd choice. I want to say that I heard Waid had no idea that whole story was even going to happen. But looking back it seemed like a weird kind of experiment just to alter the character relationships just because. In fact, in some ways it seems like the Bendis Legion is a similar echo of the threeboot.

Ann Hebistand #1001510 04/25/21 01:00 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Ivy, that was very sweet of you to say. Thank you.

GL, I agree with the comparison of the Threeboot to the Bendis-Boot. Both were ill-timed experiments virtually predestined to fail, despite each having some promising aspects early on.

Gaseous Lad #1001519 04/25/21 06:13 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
I never really understood why they made the threeboot in the first place, to be honest. With the Lightning Saga happening in the rest of DC and Lo3W soon after, it seemed an odd choice. I want to say that I heard Waid had no idea that whole story was even going to happen. But looking back it seemed like a weird kind of experiment just to alter the character relationships just because. In fact, in some ways it seems like the Bendis Legion is a similar echo of the threeboot.

I suspect part of the reason for the threeboot's sharp drop off in quality after the first few issues (imo) is that Waid starts getting wind of Johns's plans to introduce his own version of the Legion. Maybe if Waid's version had been the huge hit that he predicted before its launch ("It's going to be DC's #1 book!"), things would have gone differently.

Ann Hebistand #1001520 04/25/21 06:20 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
That's odd....my memory says the Lightning Saga, etc. happened around Shooter's Threeboot run. Am I totally wrong? confused

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Eryk Davis Ester #1001521 04/25/21 06:25 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I suspect part of the reason for the threeboot's sharp drop off in quality after the first few issues (imo) is that Waid starts getting wind of Johns's plans to introduce his own version of the Legion. Maybe if Waid's version had been the huge hit that he predicted before its launch ("It's going to be DC's #1 book!"), things would have gone differently.

That would be a great question to ask Mark if anyone can track him down. He seems to be pretty planful in his writing, and the Lightning saga didn't start until 07, and the threeboot had been well underway (since 04). Waid went a while on that book if memory serves, so while he may not have heard of any plans at the start, he definitely would have by the time he rolled off, at least I would like to think so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,208
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP