Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 69 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The DnA Poll 2021
#1003771 06/18/21 08:27 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
A recent post by Gaseous Lad in his Retroboot Re-Read thread inspired this poll. Here's GL's post:

Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
(After finishing Widening Rifts with LSH v.4 #125) I couldn't bring myself to start the rest of the DnA run. I read the first few pages of LL, and I kept getting more annoyed the farther in I went knowing how this would end.

Now, I've seen criticism of DnA in general, and of Legion Lost v.1 in and of itself, but never like this.

I personally, love LLv1, it's my favorite multi-part Legion storyline of all time. But I also love a good, civil discourse about almost anything Legion-related. And I also find it interesting that DnA still stirs up such strong feelings, more than 15 years after they left the Legion.

So, the poll question: When *should* DnA have stopped writing the Legion? I say after Legion Lost.

The DnA Poll 2021
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 06/18/21 08:18 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Re: The DnA Poll 2021
Ann Hebistand #1003772 06/18/21 08:34 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm going to have to go with 'should have stayed longer'. I did really enjoy their run, and I really disliked Simone's run that followed.

Ann Hebistand #1003774 06/18/21 08:36 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Thanks for getting this poll going, Supragirl.

I actually never read Simone's issues, I've always found her overrated. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #1003775 06/18/21 08:44 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I actually never read Simone's issues, I've always found her overrated. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

She's written things that I've really liked, and things that I've really disliked. For me, she was at her worst writing Brainy. It felt overdramatic and took the 'Brainy goes crazy AGAIN' trope and made it worse.

Ann Hebistand #1003777 06/18/21 09:43 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Thanks for starting this Poll, Ann! I've been really thinking about this subject a lot lately, actually.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I will be getting back to doing a re-read of "The Legion" probably in the August timeframe, so my comment that Ann quoted was from the stories that I remembered which despite being much more recent, did not have the same stickiness that the first half of the Post-ZH reboot did. Hell, even the Threeboot for that matter. So many of my comments are based on my recollection of things

I voted "should never have written Legion." But I will say that I totally respect the opinions if folks who love the DnA Legion, as if you love world-bending Sci-Fi, I think they do a pretty good job.

That being said, I think that what they do doesn't really fit with the Legion itself. Notwithstanding the drama of the McAvennie editorship of the end of the v4 run, after LSH 100, which ended the 20/30c split of the team, the tone of the Legion needed to be updated. For whatever reason, they couldn't get anything going in 97-98 and the titles stalled in both interest and sales, so a shakeup was definitely needed (McAvennie himself comes right out and says this in the commentary for the first DnA Legion Omni).

But the challenge I had was that the shift into Legion of the Damned, then Widening Rifts, LL and beyond opened up two problems that soured me: First, it seemed like EVERY storyline, one after the other for years, was an Earth-Shattering epic with little time for the smaller, more human-centered stories that I felt were Legion hallmarks.

The second, and perhaps more importantly, was CHARACTERIZATION. The plotline, probably nine times out of ten, overrode the relationships between the characters - with the exception of LL, I will admit, because you can't write that kind of story and ignore those things. But I guess more to the point, a lot of the relationships that I had become invested in over the course of the reboot were tossed. Garth & Imra, that was messed up. Jan & Candi had a wonderful blossoming relationship that ended tragically for both. Spark & Cham's relationship was KIND OF acknowledged in one frame, then never heard from again. Vi & Zoe's close friendship over a number of years (in the comics of course) was only acknowledged after Kinetix had been completely transformed into something unrecognizable (which is a whole other thing). The only thing that was kept through was Jo & Tinya (*gag*).

I guess it did work for a bit - The Legion sold more than the end of the v4 books, and even more than LL. But fundamentally the Legion is about the relationships between the characters. When you alter one of them, OK, that makes for an interesting twist in the team dynamic (e.g., Lar & Shady in retro). When you toss most of the ones readers have been investing in for years? Not a great decision, IMO. (Like KC Carlson has said - Legion is super hero sci-fi with a dash of 90210).

So, again, DnA - absolutely good writers, especially around these kinds of big stories. But, IMO (and to my recollection), they dropped the ball on a lot of what made the Legion special in favor of a SciFi epic.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Ann Hebistand #1003778 06/18/21 09:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I do remember that. With Umbra slapping Brainy into his senses (though I did like the part where Tasmia says, YOU CAN ASSERT YOURSELF Brainy)

I voted after Robotica, as the Hypertaxis and Robotica storylines were still ok. dream crime was still also kind of ok.

Though it was just ok, nothing after Lost really lived up to it. Understandable?

I was tempted to vote After Worlds, as there were a lot of interesting ideas introduced in Worlds. This would also have prevented Terrorform Zoe?

Re Terrorform Zoe, it was a horrible idea but I could have lived with it had it only been temporary

The Garth in Jan?s body thing was terrible and unnecessary.

Sensor evolving was? neutral I guess.

I found much of what they did later on a bit meh. I do like Dreamer finally joining the team though?

The only thing I found truly asinine was the two parter with sensor evolving and ra?s brought in to help. So much stupidity everywhere. Thom and Mon do nothing while dozens of Ra?s clones walk around (despite both having the powers to mop them all up). Shikari almost gives in to Ra?s threat to kill her. Gates was probably the only Legionnaire who came out well in that story? and of course the restoration of life to Xanthu was nice

The good things about Simone?s story IMO were Tinya stepping up as leader, and Nightwind and Infectious Lass being introduced.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/18/21 09:47 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1003785 06/18/21 11:28 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
LOL we must have cross-posted, Ibby.

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
This would also have prevented Terrorform Zoe?

Re Terrorform Zoe, it was a horrible idea

snipped, 'cause 'nuff said. smile

Worlds still had her going into the Science Police, which I'm not sure about. I mean it's ok? But I would think after the Legion that would be a demotion. Dyrk went there since he didn't have powers. Zoe could actually be pretty formidable if written properly. I think they just had it set very early that they wanted to alter her, and that's the only way to do that was to make her SP to be caught in the Hypertaxis wave.

Sensor evolving was? neutral I guess.

That's a negative from me. Seemed unnecessary just to add angst.

I found much of what they did later on a bit meh. I do like Dreamer finally joining the team though?

Ibby, this is probably the one thing I will give props on to DnA. I thought they did a great job pulling up Nura's character and kind of turning her into a badass.

And Ra's. :rolleyes:

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Ann Hebistand #1003790 06/18/21 03:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
yeah, and also Zoe going into the SP is weird... she's such a free spirit, the SP is more regimented. heck, DNA even alluded to this by having Shvaughn be all like "um I don't think it's a good idea..."

true, Sensor evolving was unnecessary. I mean, most people who didn't like her, I think, did not like her because she was an altered Projectra. her evolution did not solve that...

and I agree with you re many team relationships being ignored or watered down. Like the XS/Magno romance; Brainy/Gates was mentioned in like one scene; etc etc etc

Ann Hebistand #1003800 06/18/21 07:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
After Legion Lost.

Legion Worlds was OK but mostly forgettable.

The Legion took an enormous nosedive after about issue #3.

Ann Hebistand #1003807 06/18/21 08:21 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I think I actually liked Legion Worlds more than Legion Lost.

I became frustrated with them pretty quickly after they started writing the ongoing. Hypertaxis just seemed incredibly goofy.

I kind of enjoyed Simone's arc, however, which at least demonstrated to me that there was no real reason to reboot the title once again.

Ann Hebistand #1003816 06/19/21 02:41 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I do remember being quite hopeful and optimistic for the ongoing. Hypertaxis had problems, but was still ok. Robotica was a step down, but still ok - I remember thinking, ah, finally, Thom, Jenni, Tinya are back. Brin and Nura are kind of here. I can forgive some kinks in the story, now that the gang is getting back together.

I don't think my disenchantment fully set in until around Dream Crime (the two-parter with Ra's and Sensor really made my enjoyment take a nosedive).

but indeed, there was little that could not be fixed. A Reboot was unnecessary for sure.

Ann Hebistand #1003817 06/19/21 07:56 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Blacula
The Legion took an enormous nosedive after about issue #3.

This was where Ra's was introduced as the Big Bad, right? I just remember thinking it was an odd choice to have this particular Batman villain as a Legion foe. Wouldn't someone like Vandal Savage have made more sense (as they kind of did in the Star Trek crossover) from a longevity perspective?

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I think I actually liked Legion Worlds more than Legion Lost.

I became frustrated with them pretty quickly after they started writing the ongoing. Hypertaxis just seemed incredibly goofy.

Yeah. Ra's, hypertaxis and all the wonkiness that came with that, Cub... Ugh. shake

I'll still not change my vote, as I stand by my view that the Legion needed a revamp, but didn't need DnA, but I would say that I recall enjoying Worlds as well, I think because they were character-driven stories, even though I had massive problems with some of their character choices across Damned, Rifts and LL. Then when they got to the ongoing, it really went off the rails for me.

I kind of enjoyed Simone's arc, however, which at least demonstrated to me that there was no real reason to reboot the title once again.

I honestly don't remember enough about that part of the run to comment yet. But according to Waid's recent interviews, the decisions to reboot were purely management; he was just a hired gun for the Threeboot.

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 06/19/21 07:56 AM.

Ann Hebistand #1003823 06/19/21 03:11 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I think the Ra's reveal was issue 5...

Ann Hebistand #1003831 06/19/21 06:15 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm not sure how to respond to the poll. IMO, after "Dream Crime", specifically "Foundations", is when DnA began to get that not-so-fresh feeling. But given the options as they are, I'll go with "stay longer", so they could have wrapped up their loose ends, theoretically.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ann Hebistand #1003832 06/19/21 06:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, I have to say that Foundations was where I went from being frustrated but still willing to give them a chance, to actually quitting the book.

Eryk Davis Ester #1003833 06/19/21 07:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, I have to say that Foundations was where I went from being frustrated but still willing to give them a chance, to actually quitting the book.

Oddly enough, this arc got decent promotion from DC, and I was stoked for it. But it just came off as a really dull, half-hearted GDS rehash. I wouldn't be surprised if the basic idea (plus Kon-El Superboy) was DC-dictatedfor a sales push. It certianly shows in DnA's uninspired storytelling there. Chris Batista's art is nice but can't spark those dull story bones. Obviously, a lukewarm (at best) sales response buried DnA for good.

I still would have rather they had been allowed to complete the run instead of Gail, so they could tie up those loose threads. I feel they deserved that consideration.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ann Hebistand #1003836 06/19/21 11:08 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
A recent post by Gaseous Lad in his Retroboot Re-Read thread inspired this poll. Here's GL's post:

(After finishing Widening Rifts with LSH v.4 #125) I couldn't bring myself to start the rest of the DnA run. I read the first few pages of LL, and I kept getting more annoyed the farther in I went knowing how this would end.

Now, I've seen criticism of DnA in general, and of Legion Lost v.1 in and of itself, but never like this.

Thinking more specifically and honestly about my response yesterday to Ann's quote from my other post, I can be much more specific about my issues with DnA.

My issues as I described earlier can be best described in this one panel (attached). I don't know who's ultimately the director here - if its Coipel given free rein, DnA in their writing of the page, MM for editorial direction, or something other from above. But the fact that there have been four or five years, at this point, of Legion stories that quite specifically show the characters of Shrinking Violet and Kinetix basically going through hell and back together for each other (being very specific here - about the issues with the Emerald Eye, Mordru and the aftereffects on Vi, which were revisited at least three times over the following couple years), and then after a horrible crisis have them as far apart on the frame as possible, shows either writer's ignorance or editorial malfeasance. Salu's hanging out on her own and Zoe's hanging with Jazmin and Val? Jenni and Dyrk just got together a couple issues prior? What?

Whether this is ignorance or the soft homophobia that DC editorial applied to the Legion at the time (oh, we can't have Vi & Kinetix together too close in frame!), we'll likely never know. But at the very least it showed some level of ignorance of what had come before. That DnA would not even acknowledge the V&Z friendship rang completely false to what had come before. Or if it had some story basis, it could have been told, but it wasn't. And that tainted all I saw after regarding the Legion and DnA.

It is what it is. DnA's Legion run will always be tainted to me because of this one frame. Not like one dude's opinion matters to McAvennie, DnA, or DC. They all got their cash. Or anyone, really. You can call me oversensitive. I really don't care. But at the end of the day, I will never be convinced they gave a S*** about the Legion's history or legacy. (e.g., the more recent comments about the Darkseid story)

I'll still re-read their run. And I'll still comment on it. But fair warning that it is absolutely biased.

And that's the truth.

Again, if you love DnA, I think that's great. They had some good storytelling chops. But, they had blinders on their glasses for the characters they wanted to play with.

Attached Images DNALegion.jpg
Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 06/19/21 11:20 PM.

Gaseous Lad #1003837 06/20/21 12:50 AM
C
Substitute
Substitute
C
My issues as I described earlier can be best described in this one panel (attached). I don't know who's ultimately the director here - if its Coipel given free rein, DnA in their writing of the page, MM for editorial direction, or something other from above. But the fact that there have been four or five years, at this point, of Legion stories that quite specifically show the characters of Shrinking Violet and Kinetix basically going through hell and back together for each other (being very specific here - about the issues with the Emerald Eye, Mordru and the aftereffects on Vi, which were revisited at least three times over the following couple years), and then after a horrible crisis have them as far apart on the frame as possible, shows either writer's ignorance or editorial malfeasance.

I respect your opinion but I think you might be reading a bit too much onto it. You don't seriously think DnA or Coipel or the editors went "We need to show 25 characters in the same panel but let's make absolutely sure that these two specific ones are shown as far away as possible", right?

But, they had blinders on their glasses for the characters they wanted to play with.

I'm not sure what you mean, but if that's they play favorites and/or tend to ignore other writers' work if it contradicts their vision of the character... well that's true for every writer, especially for a large team like the Legion. Even writers who are ridiculously skilled at juggling a huge cast and giving everyone a good characterization (Levitz immediately comes to mind) are doing the same thing.

Ann Hebistand #1003838 06/20/21 12:59 AM
C
Substitute
Substitute
C
I voted "they should've stayed longer" but I'm fine with them leaving when they did, even if I disagree with rebooting again.

I was enjoying the book when they left and I've liked almost everything they have written on the Legion, but there were signs that they were starting to write themselves into a corner on various subplots.
They had been on the series for quite some time and I think it was a good moment to shake things up on the creative team. I don't know if Simone would've been a good match as a regular writer, she didn't really get a chance to do anything and I'm pretty sure there were no long term plans for her.
She knew she was writing just a couple of issues before a reboot, right?

Ann Hebistand #1003854 06/20/21 09:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Should have stayed longer, with provisions. I really disliked the inclusion of Superboy in this run, don't know if that was mandated by editorial or DnA's idea. Same with Ra's al Ghul and Darkseid, taking 20th century villains into the Legionverse. They could have invented new villaina for those roles. Other bits - Cub, their take on the Fatal Five - didn't work for me, but you never get 100% on a run.

Mostly, I liked the greater focus on sci-fi themes; hypertaxis might have been a bit goofy, but the idea of a robot uprising/attack really appealed. Legion World was grandiose but fascinating. I liked Dream Crime, using an established Legion villain. Relationships got kind of messy, but had emotional weight. We got the Academy back. It felt like the future.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Comics_Archeology #1003856 06/20/21 09:35 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Comics_Archeology
I respect your opinion but I think you might be reading a bit too much onto it.

I will freely admit that I most likely am. But I will still maintain that the choices were curious for that frame.

But, they had blinders on their glasses for the characters they wanted to play with.

I'm not sure what you mean, but if that's they play favorites and/or tend to ignore other writers' work if it contradicts their vision of the character... well that's true for every writer, especially for a large team like the Legion. Even writers who are ridiculously skilled at juggling a huge cast and giving everyone a good characterization (Levitz immediately comes to mind) are doing the same thing.

And that's a totally fair point. Not everyone is PL - not even close - and that may be another reason why I was disappointed in DnA. Lots of interesting concepts, with Legion characters, but not the relationships.

Fat Cramer #1003860 06/20/21 10:52 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
She knew she was writing just a couple of issues before a reboot, right?

She had to have been made aware. I would hope so, at least.

Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
but you never get 100% on a run.

Mostly, I liked the greater focus on sci-fi themes;

Both very true. The sci-fi element absolutely was their best attribute.

Ann Hebistand #1003862 06/20/21 11:05 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm not sure if Simone knew about the reboot, but Keith Champagne apparently didn't. I remember his excitement at the fact that DC let him write a fill-in that would have long-term consequences for the character of Wildfire (the idea that he was exhausting his energy over time).

Eryk Davis Ester #1003865 06/20/21 12:27 PM
C
Substitute
Substitute
C
I'm not sure if Simone knew about the reboot, but Keith Champagne apparently didn't. I remember his excitement at the fact that DC let him write a fill-in that would have long-term consequences for the character of Wildfire (the idea that he was exhausting his energy over time).

I didn't particularly care for that story but now I feel really bad for him :-(

Ann Hebistand #1003874 06/20/21 03:28 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Gosh, that does indeed sound very sad for Keith frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,983
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Singularity
Singularity
Texas