Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 12:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/05/24 08:12 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/05/24 06:37 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:46 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:45 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:14 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archive 35
Fat Cramer #1007429 09/23/21 12:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
yeah that's a good one stile. I agree it was a very nice illustration of how complex telepathy can be!

And I do agree, the Composite Durlan was pretty creepy. How he stalked and killed... eeek!

Fat Cramer #1007511 09/25/21 11:39 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hi Christopher! Welcome to the thread and hope you're enjoying your epic Legion read!

Stile, you're right that this is the first time we're seeing inside reboot Imra's head. She's not the same Imra as in 5YL and Bierbaums' Legionnaires, and I tend to forget that.

Also, the reveal that the SP Officer who shot the mouse was the Durlan was a great surprise and really added to the sense of danger in that fight.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #1007562 09/27/21 12:05 PM
C
Candidate
Candidate
C
I saw a note upthread about the issue under discussion perhaps being a "good place to stop" (presumably this thread, so as to move on "vol. 36"), though I may have misunderstood it. I've been reading Legion comics steadily at the rate of ten stories a day or so for over a month now, and up to Legionairres #28 (cover date August 1995) and I'm ready to dive in to talk about these stories! (I must admit that I just jumped on mid-issue because I can't wait to talk about Joyce Chin's fill-in pencils, which I absolutely adore). Anyway, is my interpretation correct? Will someone be starting an Archive 36 thread soon?

Cheers,

Christopher

"Do me a favor, Lightning Lad--shut up and dance!"
Fat Cramer #1007569 09/27/21 01:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Fat Cramer started this one, so I?m looking to her for guidance te the next one smile

Invisible Brainiac #1007590 09/28/21 05:30 AM
C
Candidate
Candidate
C
If I may make a suggestion (which I am in no way heavily invested in), remaining cognizant of the fact that I'm a new guy, one set of issues that you all might consider is Legionairres #27-#28 interpolated with Legion of Super-heroes #71, the 1995 Legionnaires Annual (#2), Legion of Super-heroes #72-73, Legionnaires #29-30, Superboy #21, Legion of Super-heroes #74, and Legionnaires #31.

This looks to be fewer issues than you normally cover in one of these Archive threads, but, I believe, has some advantages. The run (re)introduces some major bits of Legion lore, it includes the first major crossover of the Reboot (if I'm recalling correctly), and does not end with a second crossover (a LINE! WIDE! EVENT!) that I personally found a pretty tough slog and might be better moved through fairly quickly at the beginning of a thread rather than finishing off a thread.

My two credits, anyway!

Last edited by Christopher; 09/28/21 05:33 AM.

Fat Cramer #1007599 09/28/21 10:53 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
thanks Christopher, and especially for pointing out the issues that we might miss - Annual 2, Superboy 21. (LSH Annual v4 6 should also be added here!)

we're actually drawing from a reread I started earlier, so we have to make sure we pick up the Showcase issues too

https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=783685#Post783685

Also: even the newest poster should have a say, and suggestions are always welcome smile thanks for recommending a good stopping point! I like it, and I support stopping here, then picking up again to go to LSH 80/ L* 37, the end of the Chu sting (the next major Reboot event, in my mind)

Invisible Brainiac #1007603 09/28/21 12:19 PM
C
Candidate
Candidate
C
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
thanks Christopher, and especially for pointing out the issues that we might miss - Annual 2, Superboy 21. (LSH Annual v4 6 should also be added here!)

we're actually drawing from a reread I started earlier, so we have to make sure we pick up the Showcase issues too

https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=783685#Post783685

Also: even the newest poster should have a say, and suggestions are always welcome smile thanks for recommending a good stopping point! I like it, and I support stopping here, then picking up again to go to LSH 80/ L* 37, the end of the Chu sting (the next major Reboot event, in my mind)

Did something change (I haven't read this whole thread) from the initial post? According to the original/first post, LSH Annual #6 and Showcase '95 #6 were orginally planned for this Archive. I'm confusing myself, I'm sure.

Fat Cramer #1007627 09/29/21 01:12 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
you mean this? hmm...

Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Welcome to Archive Volume 35, covering LSH 0, Legionnaires 23 -25, alternating with LSH 67 - 69, LSH Annual #6, Showcase '95 #6, Legionnaires 26, LSH 70.

Links to previous Archive discussions comprise the first post of Archive 33.

Archive Index

either we're not done yet, or things did change. where did you see the comment, that the previous issue was a good stopping point? I can;t quite find it

Fat Cramer #1007631 09/29/21 03:58 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
IB, Gaseous Lad mentioned that LSH 68 was the last issue in the first Legionnaires Omnibus. We still have a few issues to run on this Archive, but Christopher's suggestions could make up the next volume. I'll repost them in the Archive discussion thread later (out of time right now).

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #1007638 09/29/21 07:29 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Legion of Super-heroes 69
Absolute Power
Issue information

Summary:

The battle against the Composite Durlan (C.D.) continues. He reveals that Cham's from the royal lineage of spiritual leaders; and that they kept C.D. and two others like him imprisoned despite them being genetically engineered to be able to copy powers.

The Legion tries, and fails, to use Cham's knowledge to stop the C.D., necessitating Saturn Girl's telepathic intervention. She manages to render him catatonic - at the cost of her own mind.

Thoughts:

The battle continues to flow naturally, and nearly everyone gets something to do. I'm particularly pleased with the good use of XS and Kinetix.

Zoe's caring and "big sisterly" nature is further highlighted here, and it fits in well with her encouragement of Vi and Gim in past issues. She's the one who tells Cham to keep his head in the game, and she's the one you see trying to reach out and stop Imra from entering C.D's mind. Zoe's power levels are also impressive - she (and Cos) were able to stall the C.D. long enough for some important background. Said exposition was also delivered in a way that fit the flow of the story.

XS has grown as well; you can see she's scared, but she barely hesitates to place herself in almost certain danger to save Cham and innocent bystanders, and to buy her teammates time. I love the panel of her telling herself NOT to think so she won't spoil the plan. I also like how the writers referenced her crush on Cos without making it feel out of place. Hey, she thought she was going to die!

It was also nice seeing Brainy and Lyle working together to mix up the chemicals to stop the C.D. Love the contrast between Lyle's greater tactical ability and Brainy's greater analytic ability. Lyle's mistake in translation was believable, and kept the momentum of the fight going. Because of it, I almost didn't notice how abrupt Imra's sudden burst of courage was. We go from her adamantly refusing to enter C.D.'s mind - and lashing out at Cosmic Boy to cover up her own fear - to jumping right in and shutting C.D. down despite the obvious fear and danger it is putting her in. That last page of a catatonic Imra is made all the more powerful because of her heroism.

Let's not forget how heroic Chameleon is as well. He staves off the grief over his father's death to focus on shutting down C.D. He also bravely puts himself in danger and helps keep bystanders out of it.

Cosmic Boy does a good job leading the team this issue. It's good to see him take to leadership so well.

Now let's go to C.D.s motivation. It shows that the 30th century isn't quite as shiny and bright as we thought; much like with the oppression of Carggites with differences, the C.D.s are punished simply for being. They had absolutely no control over their creation. His hatred is understandable (though I wonder why he didn't free the two other C.D.s? but from a storytelling standpoint that would have been undesirable as well - no way the Legion could have dealt with three C.D.s at once).

The art has improved; Lee Moder and Ron Boyd make a good combination. The Legionnaires are a lot less angular and it's easy to follow the action.

All in all, this is a good issue. The action is solid and flows naturally; good character bits are mixed in throughout without slowing the story's pacing; and nothing is shoehorned in. This is much, much better than the first part of the story.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #1007639 09/29/21 07:30 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
This issue really stepped up the game for me. The story was more exciting, the stakes were higher and the art was consistently compelling. There was a scene with Andromeda digging her fingers into the hull of an SP shift in order to hurl it out of danger - a very effective yet simple way to show her strength.

I liked how the Composite kept changing his composition, yet always looking ugly and angry regardless of whose face he copied. He was a creation out of control and had to be reined in; the Legionnaires don't have to account for the ethics of the Composite's creation or release, but I found the cruelty of eliminating the threat quite harsh and nobody seemed particularly concerned. The SPs treated the body as a trophy, pinned to a wall. Relief, no doubt, played a part in these attitudes; maybe there will be some questions raised later about just what the Durlans were up to with this killing machine and the dangers of only their limited priest class knowing how to contain it.

Lyle really screwed up with the base 9 thing. It's understandable, given the tension of the situation; nobody yelled at him (even Brainiac 5, who perhaps should have known better himself) but Rokk and Brainy looked very angry.

This set the stage for Imra to take charge and prove herself, to herself as well as to Rokk. This part of the story did a great job illustrating her persistence and courage overcoming her fear and horror of the Composite's mind. I wonder if she knew it could be tantamount to a suicide mission.

Some stand-out character bits: Lyle once again acting as the practical half of the Brainy/Lyle team-up. The SPs are fed up with and resentful of the Legionnaires and indulge in some casual racism or insulting by calling Brainiac 5 "greenie". Imra calling Andromeda "Andy" implies an acceptance of the sometimes-difficult Andromeda and Andromeda herself hates feeling useless in the fight. Kinetix proves herself to be a real heavy hitter, taking out the Composite for long enough to buy time for the others. Jenni is used strategically as a diversion (she's getting a lot of effective panel time for a new character!) Both she and Cham are willing to self-sacrifice to fight the Composite. Jenni's resignation, not even completing a possibly final message to Rokk, felt real. Rokk's regret that his last words to Imra were harsh was also very touching.

As IB wrote, this issue is much better than the first half of the story.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #1007644 09/29/21 09:31 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
thanks for clarifying the stopping point, FC!

re Lyle's miscalculation. I see Rokk and Brainy being all "dang it, but yelling will not help now." I do like that the writers had Lyle mess up this time, showing that he's not perfect - after all, he's had a string of highs recently with the flight ring

good point re Composite Durlan always having a more menacing face, compared to the original

I actually felt a pang of sympathy for the Comp Durlan, considering his creation. he did not ask to be created like this, and he was imprisoned through none of his own fault. of course, his revenge was disproportionate - how many innocents died who had nothing to do with his suffering?

Overall there were a lot of good moments too, lots of Legionnaires (like Zoe and Jenni) also getting a chance to shine!

Invisible Brainiac #1007645 09/29/21 09:50 AM
C
Candidate
Candidate
C
either we're not done yet, or things did change. where did you see the comment, that the previous issue was a good stopping point? I can;t quite find it

There's a better than even chance it was either retconned out of existence or was an "imaginary story." Because I can't find it now, either!

Fat Cramer #1007658 09/29/21 03:43 PM
C
Candidate
Candidate
C
According to the Legion Wiki, this issue hit the newsstands on April 18th, 1995. The number one song on the Billboard charts was the annoyingly catchy "This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan and everyone was watching ER, Seinfeld, and Friends. In the news, the great and the good were debating how, whether, and when to end the Iraqi oil embargo. In the streets, a lot of people were talking about Major League Baseball's umpire strike and losing their minds.

In the 30th century, Saturn Girl was losing her mind.

I thought this was a good, if not outstanding, issue. It continues two major Legion traditions of the '60s and '70s: you can't, at a glance, tell who the character on the cover is purely from their facial features and somebody is institutionalized.

As to that cover, I find it both striking and frustrating. Alan Davis' pencils, my nit above notwithstanding, are strong, made even stronger under the inks of Mark Farmer. Unfortunately, I think the colorist (longtime Legion co-plotter Tom McGraw) let his enthusiasm get in the way of clarity. Frankly, it was only on a second, more careful, examination that I noticed the emblem below Imra's chin, which, along with the--what, Saturn earrings?--clarified who the depicted figure is supposed to be.

Inside, Lee Moder's pencils under Ron Boyd's inks impressed me throughout, especially, as has been noted, in the facial expressions of the Composite Durlan. McGraw here shows a surer, maybe I should say subtler, hand with the coloring. My favorite page in the issue, in terms of art, is 17. The pursuit of XS by the villain shows real motion and speed. A close second is page 22, which visualizes Imra's mental exploration of the psyche of a shapechanger in genuinely horrific fashion. (Makes you wonder what's going on inside Cham's head, doesn't it?)

(Actually, if I'm honest, my favorite bit of art in the issue is the righthand side of the two-page spread atop pages 2 and 3, specifically Gim showing surprise at being carried away from danger on "horseback." Hilarious!)

The story, I would say, is good but not great. It's a fight scene, followed by a discussion about how to continue the fight, followed by some more fighting, some recriminations about how the fight is going, followed by the fight finishing up in a manner that, thankfully, isn't predictable and which offers some nice characterization of Imra's powers and their self-imposed limits. And of how and when she's willing to push through those limits.

And of course, it turns out that those limits are in place, in this instance, for very good reasons. I felt genuine heartache for Imra, whose self-control and intelligence have been hallmarks (if occasionally ignored hallmarks) since 1958. Rokk's genuine regret doubles down on that heartache.

Bonus content: insight into Durla!

Notes: I think this might be the first issue of the "main book" that has a (single page) letter column since Zero Hour, discounting assistant editor Mike McAvennie's full page discussion of how there hasn't been a letter column in a year or two in the previous issue.

The only non-house ad is the back cover, for Musicland/Sam Goody, a company I believe no longer exists, featuring CDs from Mike Watt and the Chris Duarte Group. I've not heard of either artist. Their albums were apparently on sale, and that sale, it says here, ends April 16th. Two days before the issue launched. If you're curious about who now has the 800 number listed on the ad these days, it's a high-pressure sales outfit called Medical Assistance. Your call may be monitored for quality assurance.

Looking forward to issue #70!

Last edited by Christopher; 09/29/21 04:17 PM.

Fat Cramer #1007673 09/30/21 03:01 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
nice review, Christopher, and also very nicely-written! You're good at your craft, this read like a feature article in a magazine.

Good point re the cover, without the pink color scheme and the Saturn emblem, I'd have been hard-pressed to guess this was supposed to be Imra. Someone color-blind would not have the advantage of the pink as a clue.

I remember chuckling at Cham turning into a horse and "rescuing" Gim, too. And the panel with Brainy and Lyle being electrocuted was beautiful - not that I enjoy watching people get zapped, but it was very well-drawn

Zoe standing her ground while burying the Durlan, and Jenni's facial expression as she gets ready for a suicide run vs. Durlan - both amazingly drawn, too. Also very good moments.

it was definitely a heart-wrenching ending. Poor Imra, with that bit of spit running down her mouth, and Cos' obvious regret and concern - so obvious that even Cham gave him condolences.

funny enough, it almost drowned out Cham's grief over his own father - though it was till palpable

Fat Cramer #1007731 10/01/21 08:23 AM
Lost In Time
Lost In Time
Legionnaires 23

"Flight"
I'm rereading this again and I just spotted Spark sticking out her tongue on page 13, second panel on the right from the top.

Moy would have spark stick out her tongue in each of the issues he drew and it was a fun thing to try and spot every issue back in the day.

Last edited by Novelty; 10/01/21 08:23 AM. Reason: typos

Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"
Fat Cramer #1007737 10/01/21 11:22 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
This is a great issue up and down. In another thread about a future portrayal about this reboot Legion we've been talking about the differences in the approach of having MANY characters being able to shine out for a few panels but still come back to the team concept versus only have a couple team standouts in a particular issue(s).

LSH 69 is a great example of how this is done extremely well with a large cast. The story is absolutely centered around Imra and Cham, with both coming out of the story much worse for wear. But we see a lot of other great characterization across the team - Rokk is starting to show the strain of the job, XS is learning how to work with her fear, Kinetix shows her nurturing as well as fierce aspects of her personality. I was very struck by Andromeda's dialogue and, especially after her encounters earlier with the racists and last L* issue with Vi, if she was beginning to turn over a new leaf. As noted above, the Lyle/Brainy interaction is always fun when this team was writing them.

The Composite Man is easily the most challenging adversary the team has faced so far, so it makes sense that the team wouldn't come out of this undamaged. Imra's frustration at the beginning of the issue seemed somewhat uncharacteristic, but she definitely realizes she did wrong immediately and grows from it. Her tour through Cham's mind, and later CM's, was eerie and unnerving as designed.

This was definitely one of Moder's better drawn issues - I was generally not that much of a fan of his work, although it was serviceable. EDIT/ADDITION - I will say this is probably one of the coolest covers of the reboot, along with the Ultra Boy cover.

Christopher, I loved the intro to your comments!! It took me back to when this was released! Great stuff! smile

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 10/01/21 11:52 AM.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Novelty #1007758 10/02/21 12:23 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Cos really has a tough job as leader eh? and he's handling it admirably. also, kudos for the tactical ability, warning Andromeda away before Composite Durlan can copy her powers.

Agree about the little bits, the writers and artists did amazing. Things like Zoe being the one running up to Imra, and Cos having to stop Zoe. Lyle's "oh crap" moment slapping his forehead when he realizes he messed up. XS, Vi, Tinya running into the building to check for survivors. Brainy and Lyle being all sarcastic to the SP officers who didn't want to get them that restricted chemical to stop Durlan.

Imra's determination, tears falling down her face when she enters the Durlan's mind.

Originally Posted by Novelty
Legionnaires 23

"Flight"
I'm rereading this again and I just spotted Spark sticking out her tongue on page 13, second panel on the right from the top.

Moy would have spark stick out her tongue in each of the issues he drew and it was a fun thing to try and spot every issue back in the day.

I always loved that cool visual, and it really added to Ayla's personality!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 10/02/21 12:25 AM.
Fat Cramer #1008007 10/06/21 11:46 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Legion of Super-Heroes Annual 6
Deep Background
Issue Information

Summary:

Shvaughn Erin is appointed Legion Liaison Officer. She gets teased mercilessly by her fellow Science Police officers. Though she is upset, she is a professional; she goes through the Legion's files, and digs deepet into the origins of XS, Kinetix and Leviathan. At first, she skips over Leviathan's file; like most Science Police, Shvaughn believes the Legionnaires are incompetent glory hogs, and thinks Leviathan betrayed the ideals of the Science Police to join the Legion.

XS: Running Scared reveals that XS is indeed part of the Flash family; she's the daughter of Dawn Allen and granddaughter of Barry Allen. In this reality, XS' mother Dawn and her uncle Don went into action to rescue Dominator captives, but were themselves slain. The news made it to Earthgov; to protect the family, grandma Iris took Bart (who manifested speed powers) into the past (though XS didn't know about it, just that they were safe). XS' dad took her to his homeworld, Aarok, where they could hide from the UP... but not from the Dominators.

Her powers manifest themselves when she sees Dominators torturing her father. It takes time, but eventually the stress of watching her dad be tortured gets to here. She runs out and saves him, and stray Dominator shots blow up the lab they were in.

XS' dad is worried that her powers will put her in harm's way (we know they have!), but XS is determined to make it right.

Shvaughn is impressed, and continues.

Kinetix: From Dawn to Darkness tells us that Kinetix's obsession with power stems from the feelings of perfection and usefulness that using said power gives her. Sadly, her quest for more power leads her to losing hers!

We open with a scene from Kinetix's dream journal, where she uses a lot of flowery words to talk about her love for power. "I'm not a person anymore, but a personification, a presence... a visitation. .." "I'm too powerful, too pure to allow such suffering to exist..." Whoa, girl! She uses her powers to make plants grow, turning a barren area into a paradise. Whew. So that's why she's not satisfied with what she has now.... She wants to be ablde to do that!

We find her and Violet on an archeological dig. Zoe gushes about power, and Vi calls her out on it. Zoe is taken aback, and talks about her origin. Her mom was an archeologist, and Zoe always felt useless hanging around digs and being unable to help. One day, her mom fell ill from poison gas, and nothing could heal her. But Zoe taught herself a magical spell from an old book, and used the Moon of Koll to heal her mother. "It could transform a drop of love into a wellspring of health, once in a lifetime..." Zoe succeeded, despite her mother's fears and her brother Thanot's skepticism. It's telling how, when Zoe's family is hugging, Zoe kept looking at the Moon of Koll. The feeling of "being useful" made her throw herself into her mom's work so she could find more power... which she did, through an energy-pool on Titan. She absorbed it and gained her amazing telekinetic abilities. But Zoe still says it wasn't enough, not when there's so much more. Violet finds the Star of Akkos hidden in the ground. In her rush, Zoe digs it up - almost burying Vi, who calls her out on it again. Zoe barely hears as she holds the Star... which charges her up.... and makes her lose her powers! Violet comforts her as Zoe stares forlornly, saying that she just wanted the power to end suffering and to feel "perfected".

Shvaughn sympathizes and continues. She reads through the remaining Legionnaire bios, files on RJ Brande, stargates, the Legion HQ and staff (interestingly, Marla is described as the team's advisor and Brande Industries liaison (his primary assignment now!), while Tenzil is described as non-officially acting as Legion counselor. The Athramites are aesthetic designers and maintenance coordinators. We get a map of Legion HQ, descrpitions of the Legion cruisers, telepathic earplugs, transuits, utility belts, and a brief history of the United Planets including a list of member worlds (though the writers built in an out, saying the UP is currently expanding).

Finally, Shvaughn has only one file left...

Leviathan: Greater Good shows Gim choosing to leave the Science Police for the Legion because his commanding officer was just using his him to further his career. He believes the Legion will enable him to do more good.

We flash back to the day Gim was drafted. He lashes out at his Science Police colleagues for teasing him; he is focused on building a career in the Science Police. Chief Wilson, Gim's commander, refuses to let him go. Gigi Cusimano, Gim's close friend, tells Gim to be wary of Wilson using Gim to further HIS own career. Gim reflects; he does see the appeal in joining the Legion as a force for good, but has always wanted to be in the Science Police. Gim gained his powers from a meteoroid crashing near him.

They are called away to deal with a terrorist situation. Racists are threatening to blow up some alien hostages. Roon Dvron makes an appearance. Gim has a plan, but Chief Wilson (that idiot) strolls right in and takes charge, refusing to risk Gim as "Gim is his ticket to fame". Two Science Police officers go up, and one is killed by the terrorists. Wilson STILL refuses to let Gim go, at which point Gim defies orders, grows to giant size and takes out the terrorists with one slap of his hand.

Gigi is upset at first, worried that Gim has outgrown their friendship. Gim reassures her that is not the case, but that Wilson's actions have shown him that he needs to serve the greater good. Gigi says she will stay in the Science Police and help expose Wilson for the gloryhound that he is.

Their stories, and their "unswerving belief in something more important than themselves', inspire Shvaughn so much that she does a total 180. She digs into all the Legion's files, reading up on all their adventures. She becomes convinced that the Legionnaires all truly believe in their mission - something that is more important than themselves. She tells off a colleague teasing her, by introducing herself as "Liaison Lass, with the powwer to super-liaise. My weakness is creeps who don't want to liaise and therefore won't talk or listen. Since my power is useless in combat, I would be lucky to even become a Reservist. But if that day comes, I will be proud to be a Legionnaire."

Thoughts:

The opening scene reminds us that the Legion has a long way to go to prove themselves to everyone. It does make a good framing sequence for the story though, and sets Shvaughn up to become a more prominent supporting character.

The one-page bios are nice and informative. The highlight of the issue, of course, are the origin stories. It's no surprise that the two Legionnaires who were created in the Postboot, XS and Kinetix, get two of the spotlight stories.

XS' origin is a nice way to tie the Legion into the 20th century DC Universe without making these ties too restrictive. The only requirement for her origin to hold up is for Barry and Iris Allen to raise a family in the 30th century. It's a pleasant story, but is very much standard superhero fare: the hero is normal, then her powers are triggered by seeing someone important be placed in harm's way. It reveals her past but doesn't really reveal anything new about her personality. If anything, she seems more confident and competent in this story than she was in LSH 62 or Legionnaires 19. We do understand her motivations for being a Legionnaire better though - she wants to make her family proud.

I've written about Kinetix's origin and powerlust elsewhere, and my opinions stand upon rereading. Zoe loves using her powers because it makes her feel useful and "perfected"; while she tells Violet her origin she refers to herself as "useless" at least thrice. It doesn't seem as though her mother neglected her, so maybe Zoe just wanted to be useful as a way to repay her. Now we understand why she craves power; it completes her. She has a very deep need for self-validation, and the story shows how addicting power can be - you see it when Violet finds the Star of Akkos, and Zoe recklessly retrieves it without regard for Violet's safety. Now the big question is - where to next? The writers didn't g to all this trouble to create a Legionnaire and strip her of her powers just as a cautionary tale.

By the way, I love the gorgeous Alan Davis/Mark Farmer art in this story.

Violet is put to good use as well. Besides moving the plot along, we see more and more that she isn't exactly shy. She doesn't hesitate to question Zoe's need for power, or to call Zoe out for being reckless. In contrast to Zoe's need for self-validation, Violet displays a sort of inner strength. She really is an odd one.

We get some informative text pieces, though the stories so far haven't yet demonstrated some of what we read. Marla Latham's primary assignment is as advisor to the Legionnaires, though I only remember seeing him in that capacity in LSH 66. Tenzil is a non-official counselor to the team, which makes some sense as he is their age. And we know RJ Brande's past is mysterious, though his "uncle-ly" manner certainly doesn't make him seem mysterious.

I'm sure many fans were thrilled to see a lot of familiar worlds on the list of UP members - besides homeworlds of introduced characters, we have Kathoon, Lallor, Lythyl, Manna-5, Myar, Naltor, Phlon, Rann, Schwar, Taltar, Tharr, Vengar (a misspelled Venegar?) and Zuun. Many Substitute Hero homeworlds on this list!

We move on to Gim's origin. He's hotheaded as ever and blows his top at a little teasing. I can give him a pass though, as he's confused by the (apparently recent) emergence of his powers and the two career options presented to him. He displays the same tactical thinking and regard for the good of many that we've seen him do in recent issues. Having Chief Wilson be a dirty gloryhound gives Gim an easy choice; he won't be able to do much good under the Chief's thumb so joining the Legion is the logical step.

His friendship with Gigi is used to help him verbalize his inner conflict, and is also a good way to show that his new powers have changed things for him. It's odd that they would send Gigi all the way to Earth just to recruit Lyle; we already know there are plenty of SciCops on Earth. I guess it's as good a way as any to get her on Earth too, but she hasn't appeared since Legionnaires 0 either.

All in all this issue served its purpose - it gave us a lot of information on the Legionnaires and their immediate universe. It added new dimensions to 3 Legionnaires and set up future storylines for Kinetix. It was a pleasant enough read, even for readers who aren't big fans of XS, Kinetix or Leviathan.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #1008008 10/06/21 11:47 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Annuals can be hit or miss and most, like this one, are a combination, although I felt that there was a lot of filler here. The "meet the Legionnaires" pages could have been condensed to two or four to a page; that's my primary criticism.

My favourite section was actually the introduction, as Shvaughn learns that she's been stuck with the job of Legion liason and has to put up with the ribbing of her fellow officers. There's a good sense of the camaraderie among the cops as well as her frustration and annoyance with this unwelcome posting. This reinforces what we've seen so far of the relationship between the SPs and the Legion; certainly, those media-darling superteens, enjoying the full backing of R.J. Brande and the U.P., would generate some resentment and derision among the older, experienced cops. The closing pages were a bit of a let down; Shvaughn feels honoured to work with the Legionnaires after reading a few of their files. Too pat and happy ending for me. Some continued tension between her and the Legionnaires would be welcome; they would have to earn her respect over time.

Jenni's backstory is serviceable; it explains the origin of her powers and draws from the prior version's history of the Tornado Twins and Dominator experiments. She saves her Dad, very courageous for someone with newly activated powers, but the tale lacked sizzle for me. Hard to pinpoint why.

Zoe's tale is more complex, just as she herself is: here's a character with power and the right kind of character flaws to have it all go wrong. Stay tuned! the story promises. Zoe is driven; she's got a good heart but roads to hell and good intentions come to mind. Her relationships with others are not simple either. Her brother is difficult and Violet seems like an odd companion, but, as Ibby wrote above, Violet displays a considerable inner strength, which provides a balance to Zoe's exuberance and impusivity.

Gim's story was a bit drawn out, although that supported his reluctance to disobey his superior officer as he debated what to do about the hostages. We saw a couple of familiar faces - Dvron and Gigi - but the prima donna chief was a man named Wilson, not the beloved and fatherly Zendak of the original Legion.

Once again, I can't resist comparing this reboot with the Bendis Legion: some backstory pages (more developed than the one-page recruitment scenes we got) devoted to the never-seen-before members might have quelled a lot of fan impatience.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #1008009 10/06/21 11:56 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Like you FC, I felt Jenni?s story was ok but lacked something. It felt too by the book. Her starring role in Legionnaires 19, and her steeling herself against the Composite Durlan in LSH 69, were even more powerful moments - maybe that?s why this origin story seemed less amazing in comparison.

Zoe?s was a good one, mixing past and present and showing layers to her personality. (Her prose was interesting though, her personal journal - shows a bit of, I don?t know. You can really see how lustful for power she is, she waxes so lyrical about it.)

I did appreciate Gim?s story, for making him quite a bit more sympathetic. Showing that he generally wants to serve and do good. An interesting one, because in Legionnaires 0 we have him saying their mission to investigate distress calls from stranded spaceships ?is small but will lead to later glory?. And here we have him turning his back on glory to do the right thing.

Also wonder why Gigi would have to go from Mars to Earth just to find Lyle. Don?t they have science police on earth? Or was it a clumsy way to explain Gigi?s presence back in Legionnaires 0?

Fat Cramer #1008013 10/06/21 01:05 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Lots of good comments here. I have found that I definitely enjoy this annual - I have at least one extra copy of it that did not get bagged and has been worn over the years - but not as much for the stories, except for Zoe's.

I agree with FC that the Legionnaire bios could have been done in half- or quarter-pages. Its a lot of filler. What I think I enjoyed the most about this book are the equipment pages and the cutaway map of the HQ. I just found all that very neat.

Story-wise, the interstitial story about Shvaughn was a creative, if not very compelling, way of pulling the information together, and I agree with most of the comments from Ibby from the original review, as well as FC's here. The XS story was fine, but it seemed there was a lot missing - it essentially serves to show that she's Dawn's child and she and Don are dead, so don't be looking for them here in this future. I found the whole Dominator aspect to this story to be strange to me as well; maybe that's it.

The Gim Allon story is also serviceable and is good for telling his background, but little else. I'm really glad they didn't use Zendak and instead opted for this Wilson character. I found it strange that they barely used Gigi after the White Triangle storyline completed.

It goes without saying that the Kinetix story is the best of the bunch, both as a story itself, since we get an origin AND a change as part of the arc, but it is drawn the best as well. Ibby, I really liked your comments about Zoe needing power for validation while Vi doesn't take nass from anyone. Its an interesting portrayal of her, as she calls out Zoe directly, but softly, about her power, which is very different from how she behaves in group settings or with much more aggressive people like Laurel, so this is definitely showing the instant bond that the two have.

And FC, your comparison to Bendis is apt - This Legion had been around for almost a year at this point - less I think - and we know more about each and every one of them than we know of half of the Bendis Legionnaires.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Fat Cramer #1008032 10/07/21 05:09 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I first read it in my aunt's comic book stash. I was so happy when I found my own copy in the bargain bins smile It's still one of the crowners of my collection.

I wonder if the bios were meant to be pin-ups. Each a full page... and indeed, most of it for the art.

FC's thoughts got me thinking, and Shvaughn did indeed turn a full 180 in a relatively short time, eh? It may have been a bit too abrupt. It seemed to flow well, and the ending narration showed how absorbed Shvaughn became, but maybe a bit too convenient.

Yeah, if I remember, GIgi's last appearance is Leviathan's funeral in L* 41... strange eh. also glad that Zendak wasn't ruined in this manner.

thanks GL, and a good point about Vi and Zoe's friendship, where Vi is now comfortable calling Zoe out. And indeed, the art was gorgeous!

Also agree re comparison to Bendisboot! So far, a lot has been sprinkled in about each Legionnaire, and it's very well done!

Gaseous Lad #1008035 10/07/21 05:19 AM
Lost In Time
Lost In Time
I know this was an annual and it's supposed to be filled with stories, but they also took the opportunity to give us pin-ups which as FC says takes away quite a bit of what should be storylines advancing the plot.

I like the use of Shavaughn as a narrative, and the files as a way to present information like the cutaway of the legion HQ as GL says, or the list of member worlds of the UP. Those 2 pages alone provided a significant amount of information to advance the world building.

Like you FC, I felt Jenni?s story was ok but lacked something.
I think Jenni's story isn't meant to make us like her or understand more about her. The writers used the story to tie her back into the main DC comics of the time and to show that despite Zero Hour, Barry Allen in the 30th century is still cannon and Bart's cousin is also a hero in the future. Is it meant for us to like her? Well, in that aspect it doesn't really work. However, it does explain (in canon) relatively easily Jenni's relationship with Dawn and why she is a non-white person (and a dark-skinned human-looking Legionnaire) despite her mother being white. Yes, I know a good writer could make it interesting and show ore of Jenni's personality in the story as well. I have to say though I have always found it weird that they have to stow away to Aarok. Why?

Gim's story was also a big *yawn* for me. Sure we got his origin story as well and we got to glimpse how the SP works and Mars was built up a bit more, but nothing resonated. Also nothing explained why he was such a bad leader at the beginning of his Legion membership as one would have thought being in the SP would have trained him to work in teams. Was it because he was always kept out of harms way and used as a political tool? If so it wasn't made clear. I did like the art though and the expressions in his story.

I left Kinetix last because she came across as annoying and power hungry. We understand that she wants power for validation and acceptance, but why after she was added to the Legion did she need *more* power? That just doesn't jive with her caring and friendly personality. But the shock I had when reading this way back in the day was that the writers made her *lose* her powers. I was like what would this mean for her Legion membership. And why would the writers depower her, after beating up Triad to near death and making Saturn girl a vegetable? Did they have something against ladies? (And later on they would supposedly "kill" 2 more females). Yes I know the first death was not female, and yes I know they were building up the fact that being a Legionnaire is not an easy or safe job, and yes I know they were advancing storylines, but still to have bad things happen to 3 females in a row seemed a bit harsh.

Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
This Legion had been around for almost a year at this point - less I think - and we know more about each and every one of them than we know of half of the Bendis Legionnaires.
To be fair, we have had 2 issues a week for this run of the Legion compared to the one a month for Bendis. However, I think your point stands. We still don't know much of Bendis' Legion, the character, their motivations, etc. We only know the circumstances of some of them and their powers. Heck we still have no idea if Light Lass and Lightning Lass are 2 separate characters in Bendis' Legion. At this point in the reboot, we know both Garth's and Ayla's characterisation, what drives them individually and the tension between them. In Bendis' Legion, all I know is that Ayla doesn't like the Legion for some reason that I don't really understand, and that Garth's and Ayla's family is a poor parody of a typical Afro-American family from the Southern US from the 60s. But this isn't a thread about the Bendisboot!

Overall, I think I enjoyed this annual. Sure, it's a bit light on the story, but it does give us information about the Legion and backstories of the 2 new characters created for the Reboot so far.

Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"
Invisible Brainiac #1008036 10/07/21 05:23 AM
Lost In Time
Lost In Time
I wonder if the bios were meant to be pin-ups. Each a full page... and indeed, most of it for the art.
LOL you beat me to the punch there.

It seemed to flow well, and the ending narration showed how absorbed Shvaughn became, but maybe a bit too convenient.
I never thought it was abrupt. I don't see Shavaughn as they cynical petty type. I guess once she realised how awesome the individuals are, yes, even Gim, by going through their back stories she is warmed up to them and the concept of the Legion. I'm also guessing the writers was hoping that we would identify with Shavaughn as well, and also warm up to the new characters (who was created for the Reboot) and to Gim (who not many seemed to like for some reason at that time).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,137
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Brody27
Brody27
Tampa, FL