Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 69 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - Preview and Spoilers
#1012766 03/05/22 03:10 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer

Attached Images Justice-League-vs-Legion-of-Super-Heroes-2-1.jpg justice-league-vs-legion-of-super-heroes-2-2.jpg justice-league-vs-legion-of-super-heroes-2-3.jpg justice-league-vs-legion-of-super-heroes-2-4.jpg justice-league-vs-legion-of-super-heroes-2-5.jpg justice-league-vs-legion-of-super-heroes-2-6.jpg justice-league-vs-legion-of-super-heroes-2-7.jpg justice-league-vs-legion-of-super-heroes-2-8.jpg
Re: Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - Preview and Spoilers
Nightcrawler #1012778 03/06/22 04:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
more on the origin of Gold Lantern, at least!

So Invisible Kid was left behind in the future?

Nightcrawler #1012783 03/06/22 05:09 AM
Active
Active
These pictures look great Nighty, thank you for posting them!

In the present
Nightcrawler #1012872 03/08/22 07:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So there's a page where Dawnstar's with Naomi, having heard the Legionnaires refer to her as "Queen Naomi." When Naomi asks what this means, Dawnstar replies she's not sure because "she's not from anywhere near Earth and knows absolutely nothing of its history."

Despite, y'know, that her people are historically descendants of a Native American tribe who were taken from Earth.

Kind of a weird vibe that, as Supragirl pointed out to me, Bendis would put further emphasis away from Dawny's heritage. Even though Ryan Sook strove to give her a more respectful design as an indigenous character.

Sarcasm Kid #1012873 03/08/22 09:13 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yeah, there were a lot of odd beats here. I need to collect my thoughts on it a bit for a proper review, as there were basically two stories going on here, one of which worked better than the other.

But this Dawnstar thing certainly jumped out at me, as well as a couple other things that were dialogue dead ends.

Also, this is the 18th issue of this new Legion where Vi has not spoken a word (she's not even in this one).

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 03/08/22 09:13 AM.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Nightcrawler #1012882 03/08/22 02:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Legion was working so hard to be as passive and inoffensive as possible when dealing with the League through this book they felt like drones

Nightcrawler #1012890 03/08/22 04:12 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
You could probably skip this issue, pick up the next one and not really notice much of a change. Just an extra line or so needed on the next mandated recap page.

The only one who considers this Darkness threat to be Great is Brainy. The rest of the cast, and certainly the readers aren't shown anything of the sort. A character concluding that it's the end of all things, is simply Bendis making the basic error of knowing the plot but forgetting to inform the readership through building dramatic tension. The most tense part of this issue was figuring out what was on the menu in the Leigon canteen.

Bendis is also trying to mine a bit of Crisis, with events happening at multiple points across a single timeline. He even mentions Crisis, as he floudners a bit trying to figure out why the events unfolding aren't just seen as recurring.

The bits with Gold Lantern were fine. I can only hope that the formation of his Gold Lantern Corps is related to the other events, to tie both plots together. Otherwise, it's an origin story that could have been told in half an issue of Secret Origins. It will be interesting to see why Gold Lantern was the only one who remained in the 20th century. About the only character moment I recall is for Bendis' own Naomi. In the future, she will be remembered as a queen. A queen of everything in Mary Sue Land, no doubt. The rest of the cast don't have much to do, except wkae up in the future and wathc Black Adam fire some energy through a blob in the sky (I was going to say fires energy through a rift in spacetime, but that would make it more exciting than it was).

It's an amazingly quick read. DC should have put a blurb on it saying that we too can find out what it's like to read a comic with the powers of The Flash.

The art is the strongest part of this. You can gaze across a city of the future from a balcony for a bit, to pad out your reading time. Perhaps next issue, Oliver Queen will decide to stay in the future and operate a tour bus franchise.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Nightcrawler #1012893 03/08/22 05:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ lol If this whole series is secretly an origin story for Oli-3 Queen!

I liked the top panel on page 23 (I think) of Gold Lantern flying across Metropolis to meet the Darkness thing. It reminds me of one of the panels from Crisis #3 showing various Legionnaires in flight above the city (maybe that first one of Kid Psycho flying to his doom?).

Last edited by Blacula; 03/08/22 05:16 PM.
Nightcrawler #1012897 03/08/22 07:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Pros:
- 31st Century and Legion is shown off to the readers that are only here for the Justice League.
- the art is pretty good
- the Gold Lantern background is actually interesting - what there is of it - such an amazing story, can't wait to hear the rest of it! (moderate sarcasm)
- I like the Legion assigning members to help the JL adjust when they wake, with two examples and a follow-on conversation that shows it happened to all of them
- the JL being awed but pleased to see that there is a positive-appearing future is a nice note that I don't remember being used before
- the older more experienced team taking charge when the younger newer team hesitates works for me - not what I would want to see going forward but at the moment ok.
- Gold Lantern initially rejecting the ring because he saw himself as a teacher to inspire and not a warrior to deliver justice, and this being why he was chosen is interesting

Cons:
- Gold Lantern initially rejecting the ring because he saw himself as a teacher to inspire and not a warrior to deliver justice, and all we have seen of him to this point pretty much is enthusiastically fighting is contradictory
- Batman takes charge is appropriate to his character. Batman's first approach is to charge at the darkness is not appropriate. he is a great hand to hand combatant but he is also mostly known for his smarts and detective skills so I imagine a stop and think would fit better
- the Great Darkness has done nothing so far except appear in the sky, apparently connect 21st Century to 31st Century, and transport the teams back and forth a bit - oh and age Luornu crimson, that was pretty unpleasant and threatening
- once again not a lot happened. There is advancement but miniscule. What there is is somewhat entertaining but not really dramatic. I guess I expected more for 22 pages.

Neutral:
- Gold Lantern is blind and mostly perceives others thanks to his ring (I guess)? That's interesting and potentially fuel for plot/character but maybe it is just a huh moment
- the atmosphere of 21C and 31C is different, smells or tastes different to entities from the other, and requires a bit of adjustment (although the Legion seemed fine in 21C last issue). Hmm. Maybe interesting.

Overall I just felt like I was starting to get into it - and the issue was finished.
I remain glad that we are getting some Legion in comics and we have certainly had worse than this. I guess I was hoping for more.
Well I will continue to hope for more in the future.

Nightcrawler #1012898 03/08/22 07:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Interlac translations:

(Page 1 opening and the brief bit on page 17 at Oa are the same as the English captions.)

page 4
guy gardner trial.
administrative
defense footage.
green lantern
corps archives.

page 5
the great
darkness
anomaly

the justice
league legion
of superheroes
meeting

all opinions expressed by the gold lantern
are theirs and do not necessarily reflect
those of the planetary oa, united planets,
or the legion of superheroes,

stile86 #1012905 03/08/22 09:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by stile86
Cons:
- Gold Lantern initially rejecting the ring because he saw himself as a teacher to inspire and not a warrior to deliver justice, and all we have seen of him to this point pretty much is enthusiastically fighting is contradictory
- Batman takes charge is appropriate to his character. Batman's first approach is to charge at the darkness is not appropriate. he is a great hand to hand combatant but he is also mostly known for his smarts and detective skills so I imagine a stop and think would fit better
- the Great Darkness has done nothing so far except appear in the sky, apparently connect 21st Century to 31st Century, and transport the teams back and forth a bit - oh and age Luornu crimson, that was pretty unpleasant and threatening
- once again not a lot happened. There is advancement but miniscule. What there is is somewhat entertaining but not really dramatic. I guess I expected more for 22 pages.

If the real Garth were here he would've called out Bruce's crap in like a minute

stile86 #1012916 03/09/22 02:45 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Interlac translations:

I find this corporate-type disclaimer very hilarious, I see it all the time in the work I do!

stile86 #1012921 03/09/22 06:11 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Interlac translations:

(Page 1 opening and the brief bit on page 17 at Oa are the same as the English captions.)

page 4
guy gardner trial.
administrative
defense footage.
green lantern
corps archives.

page 5
the great
darkness
anomaly

the justice
league legion
of superheroes
meeting

Thanks for the translation, stile! I had the first three, but couldn't be bothered to do the last bit.

I'll be probably posting an actual review with a grade tomorrow; work's kept me WAY too busy yesterday and will again today....

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

thoth lad #1012929 03/09/22 08:52 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
One thing that jumped out at me was that the Letterer had some challenges this issue.

Notably, Lightning Lad is misspelled when the character introduces himself.

But there is another exchange during the flashback where Kala is talking with Gdon but there are two others in the background. By the conversation context, it seems as if the background characters are speaking, but the lettering makes it look like Gdon's voice.

Bad attention to detail for a book that has been delayed.

Gaseous Lad #1012939 03/09/22 07:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
HA ha! I hadn't noticed.

"I am Lighting Lad, founding member of the Legion.

I make sure every room in the headquarters is appropriately lit so no accidents happen (except for Shady's room - she prefers to handle that herself)."

Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - Preview and Spoilers Review
Nightcrawler #1012949 03/09/22 08:43 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Justice League vs The Legion of Super Heroes #2

Released 3/8/2022
DC Comics, Color
22 Pages

"The Gold Lantern Saga: Part Two"
Brian Michael Bendis - Writer
Scott Godlewski - Art
Dave Sharpe - Letters
Michael McAlister - Editor
Paul Kaminski - Senior Editor

Synopsis

Two stories -

Gold Lanterns history - A year prior to the current tale, Kala is a brave soul who rescues others at his own risk gains the attention of the new masters of Oa who offer him the role of Gold Lantern. He politely declines, but something has to have changed his mind.

The main story consists of Gold Lantern trying to find his way back to his own time via a giant darkness anomaly over Metropolis. The rest of the Legion AND the JL are in the 31st century. Magenta Trip is still old, but no one else has suffered any affects. We are given adjustment scenes from Ollie and Naomi's perspectives, then the teams reconnect at lunch. The anomaly appears in the future. Black Adam charges at it, energy is discharged, Gold Lantern can communicate with his team in the future and Brainy declares this the end of all things.

Commentary

So. Chapter two. I will say that it was better than issue 1. More happens to move things along, but I felt it could all have been a lot more economical. I have to say that I am definitely interested in Kala's story. I want to know the path that he took to become a Gold Lantern. Its obvious that Bendis has taken some time to flesh out this backstory and has been wanting to tell this story. The problem with the issue is that it takes the other story and pads it out with expansive two page spreads, which are well done by Scott Godlewski - without question the best part of this comic. The end is a bit uneven, with an interesting story about Gold Lantern told at a good pace with the Darkness Anomaly story told with large two panel spreads that don't convey much story progress.

Dave Sharpe drops the ball big time in two places; early in the flashback scene when Gdon is talking with Kala, Gdon has a certain style for his word balloons. This style is given to fellow Applozans who Kala had earlier saved. The context makes it clear, but the error is glaring. Later on, he misspells Lightning Lad to LIGHTING Lad. Really? Dude's not in charge of a stage presentation, guys.

Spoiler time

We get Gold Lantern doing one of those "Confessional" selfie pages that explains the backstory. I'm not a fan of those, but they get the job done.

The JL characters waking up in the future was... odd. The Ollie/Cham scene was fine, but it should have ended there. We then get a page of Naomi and Dawnstar that serves zero purpose to the story and makes Dawnstar out to be ignorant. I read this, and the next page with the real Diana as just an excuse for Bendis to pimp his own character for no real benefit. She's going to be some kind of Queen as part of her destiny? Is this just to make her more interesting? Then Diana marvels at the future and how their battles have meant something. OK - no one take her up in a spaceship so she can see that all that's left of Earth is a bunch of domed cities circling a gravity mass... This is a point I expect to be revisited, and if it isn't a whole grade is coming of this rating.

The page of Batman taking command was pretty fun. The charging of the Anomaly in both eras was interesting, but the payoff - Brainy saying "There's a rupture in the space-time continuum - I did not see this coming" made me walk away. Dude, you're Brainiac 5. I'm a dumb-ass reader and I could tell this is some kind of space-time anomaly last issue. Why are you so shocked about this now??? This is another item where if I don't get a good explanation, this will be retroactively docked a grade.

Ultimately - Issue 2 is better than issue 1. The plot progresses, but not much. Art is the best part of the story.

Grade - B-* - Asterik means very much subject to change. The minus is due to the cost of the comic relative to the story provided. Given the cost, I expect more story in these 22 pages.

Re: Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - Preview and Spoilers Review
Nightcrawler #1012966 03/10/22 02:34 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
thanks for the read and review, GL! always nice yo read your perspective... and helps me think about whether I want to get a copy.

Re: Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #2 - Preview and Spoilers Review
Nightcrawler #1012971 03/10/22 05:53 AM
Active
Active
Well I just finished reading Part 2 of this team-up. I wish the Legion played a bigger part in the story though. In terms of a positive pay off for waiting longer due to a delay in releasing issue 2, it didn't really happen for me. The JL appears almost everywhere in the DC universe already, in my opinion ... I was really hoping that Bendis would use this mini series to try and give some extra focus onto the Legion as a whole, not just Gold Lantern. Too much exposition about Gold Lantern (we are made to feel a strong importance for this character despite the fact that he is "new" ... at least from a characterization standpoint), and not enough from the Legion side of things.

But Gold Lantern is his creation (as is "Queen" Naomi) so he has free marketing/promotional control over these two properties I guess.

And yes, Shrinking Violet STILL has not uttered a single word since BendisLegion first began! Maybe she remained small and hard to see in this issue!! Ha Ha!
Oh well .....
Hopefully we get to see more of the Legion in the rest of this story. And on-going series of their own after this mini series would be even better!!! I will remain hopeful. smile

In the present
Nightcrawler #1013001 03/10/22 06:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks for the review GL. Not bad. Fairly similar to my own view, although I liked Diana's part and the idea that seeing a positive seeming future would be encouraging for the JL, particularly after all they have (relatively) recently been through with Death Metal.

Something that seemed obvious to me but may not have been to everyone, Black Adam shoots (magical?) lightning into the darkness in 31C and lightning immediately erupts from the darkness in 21C. To me this is meant to show Adam's lightning travelling directly through, and links with B5 being able to hear GL as well.

I do expect that there is something more for B5 to reveal explaining his sudden despair, and I agree with you, GL (oops maybe too many GLs), that I will be very disappointed if that doesn't happen.

I actually felt that the space given to the JL and the space given to the Legion was fairly balanced, which was as I hoped and expected. Admittedly the JL is more well known and appears frequently as you mentioned Catonyx while the Legion has its (effective) 12 issue limited series, a brief appearance in Millennium (despite it being in the title) and the two Future State books (which every title had) so I can understand you hoping for more, but I am just pleased for them to be getting some exposure to JL fans.

Page breakdown
Gold Lantern backstory - 6 pages
21C Gold Lantern - 4 pages
JL/Legion wakey wakey - 3 pages
Naomi/WW - 2 pages
JL/Legion Darkness - 3 pages
JL/Legion/GL - 4 pages

So Gold Lantern alone gets 10 of the 22 pages, JL/Legion share 10 pages and Naomi/WW have 2 pages looking at the wonders of the 31C.

It would have been nice to see the Legion take a more active role though. Remember the dynamic at the end of the Reboot between Legion and Titans, how the Legion was described as the seasoned professional team while the Titans were more of a club? Feels a bit like we get the reverse here, which I suppose has some basis as the JL are a well-established team with experienced heroes while the Legion still has the squeaky-new feel to it. Perhaps that says more about the pace of Bendis plotting after 12 "regular" issues. Still while the JL has a take-charge attitude, the Legion do dive in to carry their own weight - and it is the JL in the form of Black Adam that "breaks ranks".

Nightcrawler #1013560 03/26/22 05:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've come to realize another point about Bendis's Legion and why I hate it.

His Lightning Lad brings absolutely nothing to the plot, and if you were to remove him from the story it wouldn't change or impact anything at all. He has no chemistry or any real connection with Bendis's Cosmic Boy or Saturn Girl.

You remember how in the other Legions people would misunderstand why Garth was there, acting like he was lucky to be included when Rokk and Imra saved R.J. Brande because he supposedly wasn't as smart or as capable as them? Well now that's not a misconception, it's true. The only reason Bendis's Garth is in the Legion is because his version of Ayla refused to join at first because she didn't want to be a sellout. Compare that to the Garth who sacrificed his life to save Saturn Girl and had multiple people willing to die to bring him back. Or the Garth who kept the Legion going when half of the team, including his own sister, were stranded in the past.

Garth's supposed to be one of the founders. He's supposed to be part of, if not THE, heart of the Legion, and Bendis's version lacks that.

stile86 #1013570 03/26/22 11:28 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
HA ha! I hadn't noticed.

"I am Lighting Lad, founding member of the Legion.

I make sure every room in the headquarters is appropriately lit so no accidents happen (except for Shady's room - she prefers to handle that herself)."

Ah, Lighting Lad, part of the Legion of Keeping the Place Cozy, along with Heating Lass and Laundry Kid and Cornucopia Queen.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #1013580 03/27/22 05:37 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
The famous Legion of Interior Decorators. smile

Nightcrawler #1013581 03/27/22 06:56 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
So the great darkness really is a massive threat after all. The dark portends the redecorating to come from Kirtan-Rodd, Mr Nebula!

Fear not, for Lighting Lad will save us all!

Watch for the Scarlet Skier in #5 and the reveal that Gold Lantern is the inheritor of G'nort's ring in #6!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Nightcrawler #1013582 03/27/22 07:32 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
On a more serious note, I've always been intrigued by what the Legion thinks of the various 20th/21st century heroes, other than Superman, whom they idolize.

It could be a hoot for them to meet Batman and somebody whisper later, 'Batman's real? I thought he was a myth!' or something, to play up that it's been a thousand years, with historical records being lost or distorted, and that not everybody would necessarily have Superman's golden reputation. Or Tinya to be all hero-worshippy of Wonder Woman, and question why everyone isn't deferring to her judgment since 'obviously, she's the League leader, and has been for decades, just as she was for the Justice Society before that, right?' (and would steadfastly refuse to believe any correction of her beliefs that included information like, 'no, Wonder Woman was the Justice Society's *secretary'*)

Just funny and not-necessarily remotely correct stuff. Somebody like Green Arrow might be disturbed to find out that nobody recognizes him, or says stuff like, 'Oh, like a boy version of Artemis!' or 'Oh, I remember, the archer-guy with the bionic arm? I thought you wore red, though?' and Tyroc meets Black Canary and says that he'd never seen an image of her, only of Black Lightning, and thought that she might be an ancestor of his, with similar sonic powers, until he saw that was not, in fact, Black Black Canary. smile

Anywho, interesting choice to put Dawnstar and Hawkwoman together on a cover, since we saw Dawnstar a decade or so back dating a Thanagarian lady. Deliberate shout-out or coincidence? I'm leaning towards coincidence...

Last edited by Set; 03/27/22 07:33 AM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #1013585 03/27/22 09:22 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Set
On a more serious note, I've always been intrigued by what the Legion thinks of the various 20th/21st century heroes, other than Superman, whom they idolize.

It could be a hoot for them to meet Batman and somebody whisper later, 'Batman's real? I thought he was a myth!' or something, to play up that it's been a thousand years, with historical records being lost or distorted, and that not everybody would necessarily have Superman's golden reputation. Or Tinya to be all hero-worshippy of Wonder Woman, and question why everyone isn't deferring to her judgment since 'obviously, she's the League leader, and has been for decades, just as she was for the Justice Society before that, right?' (and would steadfastly refuse to believe any correction of her beliefs that included information like, 'no, Wonder Woman was the Justice Society's *secretary'*)

Just funny and not-necessarily remotely correct stuff. Somebody like Green Arrow might be disturbed to find out that nobody recognizes him, or says stuff like, 'Oh, like a boy version of Artemis!' or 'Oh, I remember, the archer-guy with the bionic arm? I thought you wore red, though?' and Tyroc meets Black Canary and says that he'd never seen an image of her, only of Black Lightning, and thought that she might be an ancestor of his, with similar sonic powers, until he saw that was not, in fact, Black Black Canary. smile

Anywho, interesting choice to put Dawnstar and Hawkwoman together on a cover, since we saw Dawnstar a decade or so back dating a Thanagarian lady. Deliberate shout-out or coincidence? I'm leaning towards coincidence...

Action Comics #864 had Garth spending the day with Superman and Batman, and throughout the whole thing Garth's just not impressed by Batman at ALL. Like, whatever it is that makes Batman BATMAN, Garth doesn't see it. And it's not the type of thing where he refuses to recognize Batman's shtick, Garth acknowledges it and it does nothing for him.

I love it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,983
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Singularity
Singularity
Texas