Roll Call
0 members (), 28 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Legion of Super Heroes Fantasy Merchandise
#1017129 07/28/22 08:13 AM
Cham Offline OP
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

Recently, I came across a series of Legion of Super-Heroes Hard Enamel Pins from the 1990's and started thinking how great it would be if there were a new set of pins or merchandise created in 2022 of the current Legion using updated poses and uniforms. For reference, here is a list of some of the characters that were available from that Legion Pin set. Legion of Superheroes Pin Set

That leads me to the point of this post, If you had a favorite piece of artwork of either individual characters or LSH group images that could be made into an pin or other merchandise as a Legion collectible, what do you think would work nicely? Would your preference be individual members made into a complete series or a group setting? What LSH artwork and artist was your favorite? When was the best artwork produced in the run? Please post images of what your favorite art choices would be. Additionally, the images could be either very elaborate or just simple images. Also, any ideas on any other products that members would like to see manufactured could also be very interesting. It would be awesome to see what Legion fans believe was the greatest era in the LSH series.

Last edited by Cham; 07/28/22 08:17 AM. Reason: title correction
Re: The Legion of Super Heroes Fantasy Merchandise
Cham #1017130 07/28/22 10:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fansets was creating them in 2022, but just recently lost (like a week or so ago) the DC Comics license. All of their inventory of DC related items were transferred over to their Etsy store.

If you were ever interested in getting your own Fanset pins of the Legion, I suggest going there and purchasing them as they will not be making more and only the existing supplies are being sold off. The site listed in the op is missing Lightning Lad v2, Chemical King, Blok, Light Lass, Emerald Empress, Mano, Superman/boy and various Supergirls.

The whole thing is weird as the most sought after San Diego Comic-Con WB bags were the ones from the year that the pins were included in the bags. People were desperately trying to collect each of the pins. DC is really running themselves into the ground and losing the sense of fun and wonder that made them so great for decades. We got screwed out of completing the Legion, the Fatal Five, Infinity Inc., etc.

Originally Posted by fansets via Instagram
Unfortunately, our license with #DCComics has been not been renewed by the folks at Warner Bros. We have been asked to remove all our inventory. There are retailers who will have our product for sale. Please check them out. (PinForce.io) very soon. We tried! It’s just that we are to small and they want bigger partners. Our love for the classics will live on. Keep your eye on the above mentioned store for some surprises.
Thank you for all your support the past 6 years on our WB/DC/HP product! @comics_communityy

Originally Posted by fansets via Instagram
To the GREAT #DCComics community here on @comics_communityy We had a great run and I was able to get most of the teams done but the powers that be at WB dont feel we have a broad enough audience to support our beloved DC Classics line we did at FanSets.com. We got out over 300 characters, some for the first time very to market! Our Batman 66 li e was o w of my favorites and feel proud that I was able to make product for show that defined me and started my li e for comic back in 1966. We have been asked to remove all our WB based product. In advance of the license ending we liquidated most of our product to PinForce.io. They will have everything released and unreleased there starting late next week. To all the fans from around the world who supported our classics line… Thank you!

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 08/01/23 01:51 PM.
Nightcrawler #1017172 07/29/22 06:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Fansets was creating them in 2022, but just recently lost (like a week or so ago) the DC Comics license. All of their inventory of DC related items were transferred over to their Etsy store.

If you were ever interested in getting your own Fanset pins of the Legion, I suggest going there and purchasing them as they will not be making more and only the existing supplies are being sold off. The site listed above is missing Lightning Lad v2, Chemical King, Blok, Light Lass, Emerald Empress, Mano, Superman/boy and various Supergirls.

Thanks for the info and the links.

Did you mean to say "missing" or "listing" because I found most of those you mention on the first page.

Nightcrawler #1017179 07/29/22 09:27 PM
Cham Offline OP
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
Thank you for the info. Great info!

Cham #1017182 07/29/22 09:57 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
These are so cool! RIP to my bank account lol

stile86 #1017273 08/01/22 09:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by stile86

If you were ever interested in getting your own Fanset pins of the Legion, I suggest going there and purchasing them as they will not be making more and only the existing supplies are being sold off. The site listed above is missing Lightning Lad v2, Chemical King, Blok, Light Lass, Emerald Empress, Mano, Superman/boy and various Supergirls.

Thanks for the info and the links.

Did you mean to say "missing" or "listing" because I found most of those you mention on the first page.

Missing from this link in the OP - http://www.thelegionofsuper-heroes.com/Pins.html

razsolo #1017274 08/01/22 09:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by razsolo

Yeah. I have over $500 worth of pins I still want in my "Saved Later" Cart.

Cham #1017276 08/01/22 12:46 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
these look great, thanks for sharing! sad to see they are losing their DC license though frown

Cham #1017281 08/01/22 01:16 PM
Active
Active
As a Legion collector and ocd-ish completist (though admittedly only "formerly avid", mainly as there has been little product lately, but apparently that has lead to unwarranted hubris that i wouldn't miss anything), I am shocked, excited and dismayed all at the same time that I completely missed these, big thanks to Cham and Nightcrawler for pointing them out.

Alas, however, I appear to have seen this just barely too late - I suspect the DC license removal expired end of July, as I have just now checked out https://fansets.com/ myself, and I cannot find ANY DC pins listed.

Am I just missing it? can someone who saw the Legion pins there earlier check again?

Looks like this could turn into an "ebay" adventure...
... and if that is the case - does anyone have a complete list? Or perhaps I can infer the complete list as everything shown in Legion of Super-heroes Pin Set plus the ones Nightcrawler listed as missing above?

Thanks to all in advance for any help given.

Last edited by Evolution Has Failed; 08/01/22 01:16 PM.

"I like stuff that doesn't exist."
Nightcrawler #1017287 08/01/22 02:39 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
All of their inventory of DC related items were transferred over to their Etsy store.

They were on this link Nighty put up.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #1017295 08/01/22 07:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by thoth lad
All of their inventory of DC related items were transferred over to their Etsy store.

Just checked and still some Legion pins here amongst the other DC characters.

thoth lad #1017302 08/01/22 08:04 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by thoth lad
boy , that's a big "FAIL" on my reading comprehension skills..... thanks for having my back, Thoth Lad !!! (and thanks to Nightcrawler for posting the Etsy store link in the first place, sorry I didn't read carefully enough. )

The two lists (Etsy store and Legion of Super Heroes Pin Set) .. from Cham ) have a lot of non-overlapping items, the union so far (restricting to LSH) appears to be the ENTIRE LEGION prior to the Giffen run (so up to Blok, but no White Witch or Jacques or later), unless I am forgetting someone?

Lightning Lad (2 versions), Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, Phantom Girl, Duo Damsel (alone or as a two-pack?), Chameleon Boy, Colossal Boy, Invisible Kid, Shrinking Violet, Braniac 5, Superboy, Supergirl, Star boy, Sun boy, Ultra boy, Mon-el, Bouncing Boy, Matter-Eater Lad, Light Lass, Element Lad, Ferro Lad, Princess Projectra, Karate Kid, Dream Girl, Shadow Lass, Timber Wolf, Chemical King, Wildfire, Tyroc, Dawnstar, and Blok.

non-member characters: Emerald Empress, Mano, Legion Symbol;

That's 35 different ones (counting the two versions of LL, but not counting single vs. double Duo Damsel - they look the same other than 2 vs,. 1)

I suspect there might be more, though, given the list is everything whoever made Cham's list happened to know about, + everything Fansets' Etsy has left... good chance some are missing.
But the list of member seems like a logical cutoff (Bronze age, basically...)

stile86 #1017305 08/01/22 08:54 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by stile86
Just checked and still some Legion pins here amongst the other DC characters.

Thanks, Stile86. Per message above, I was just being stupid and had checked the Fansets link instead of the Etsy.

UPDATE: I think the etsy link actually has ALL of them... at least that we know of.

My original search there was on "Legion", but several of them randomly left that word out of their description (LL v2, Timber Wolf, Shadow Lass), which I was able to find when i typed in their individual names.

ANYWAY, I just was able to snag one of each(!) smile - and I think they still have plenty more. The only item that warned it was running low was the Legion symbol.
The total comes out right around $300 with tax, though - but it's 35 pins.

I searched for other members of the Fatal five and other obvious villains (Mordru, Universo, time trapper), but none came up, nor did white witch or polar boy. so, I GUESS that was all they made...

ANYWAY - on big final thank-you to Cham(!!!) for starting this thread - My Legion collection remains complete thanks to you (and I hadn't had that "collector's thrill" in a Looong while, so nice to snag these! smile )

Last edited by Evolution Has Failed; 08/01/22 09:01 PM.

Nightcrawler #1017307 08/02/22 12:15 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally Posted by razsolo

Yeah. I have over $500 worth of pins I still want in my "Saved Later" Cart.
I didn't see the other DC ones at first, I have got three or four rounds worth of buying to do I think laugh

Cham #1017381 08/03/22 07:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just to make this easier for everyone and not derail this thread any further than it's original intention...Here's a new thread on the Fansets topic. There's a complete list with links to buy each item (not my store/while supplies last).

Cham #1017383 08/04/22 01:56 AM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Cham
That leads me to the point of this post, If you had a favorite piece of artwork of either individual characters or LSH group images that could be made into an pin or other merchandise as a Legion collectible, what do you think would work nicely? Would your preference be individual members made into a complete series or a group setting? What LSH artwork and artist was your favorite? When was the best artwork produced in the run? Please post images of what your favorite art choices would be. Additionally, the images could be either very elaborate or just simple images. Also, any ideas on any other products that members would like to see manufactured could also be very interesting. It would be awesome to see what Legion fans believe was the greatest era in the LSH series.

Good point by Nightcrawler that "we" have lost sight of the original question posed by Cham which I quote above ... a lot of that was me, sorry about that!

So to address Cham's query - my "dream" merch would be a copy of superman's silver age Legion statuettes. or action figures to enable such.
And an updated Baxter era one would be cool too! It has always bugged me that the action figure stopped and Saturn Girl was the only female Legionnaire ever produced

In general, I think for pins or other similar objects, I'd want individual members, but i do like group shots - not sure what merch you can do with group shorts other than t-shirts, though.
As for favorite artists from whom to gleen inspiration or license images:

#1) To me, I think by far the best art was by Dave Cockrum - he first brought in a realistic and epic style, and interestingly for the most part he created enough dstinctions with haristyles, etc. that you can even tell a legionnaire by just their headshots.
Although already done, these slurpee cup images are classic images from a an "origins and powers" supplement he had done.
(Cockrum also shares some of the blame for 70's "bondage wear" style, but notably the over-the-top stuff was mostly not his, pink bikini being from a fan prior to Cockrums' run, and pantsless Colossal Boy + barely-clothed Cosmic Boy belong to Grell).

#2) artwise, I really enjoyed Jeff Moy, even though not necessarily my favorite era story-wise. a good summary of his work is on this great page , and he also did a good job with distinctive headshots

#3) Jim Sherman - inexplicably over-shadowed by his predecessor Mike Grell, Jim Sherman was the artist during the period i become "hooked" on the Legion, and I am 2nd guessing putting him after Moy. Great example here , and he also did a classic "origins and powers" list \at the end of the infamously hard to obtain C55 taboid
(I got it for Xmas the year it came out!). And let's not forget the infinite man, and other artwork from that issue

#4) Steve Lightle - mainly only a cover artist form the early V3 Baxter era, but those were some great covers., Good luck making a pin from a cover though! This Dr Regulus cover is one of his best, but i think he really excelled at epic-scope sci-fi action landscapes, like this one

#5) Classic Curt Swan - "'nuff said", as Stan Lee would say. good summary of his work here, including first-ever legion appearance, and in particular the panel of legionnaires in the background
of this classic cover was used on the letter page for many years.

Honorable mentions: John Forte (main Pre-Swan Silver Age artist - not great on actiom/movement, but great facial expressions, and good classic sci-fi creativity) and Greg LaRocque (late V3 Baxter - sorry i'm getting tired - Google him frown )

those are my favorites who come to mind - might be forgetting someone..

For Pins also - I'd love to see Legion from the animated series, or from there renditions in this one Justice League United episode

Wouldn't mind the current version either. smile

Evolution Has Failed #1017738 08/16/22 09:36 PM
Cham Offline OP
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
Thank you for bringing the thread back on subject. I was really curious what long time fans believed was the best runs in Legion art and what they would love to see as their "dream" merchandise.. Personally, I really like the idea of the Legion statuettes being replicated either as a statue and/or detailed enamel pins reflecting the many eras of the LOSH. They would be an excellent addition to any Legion collection.

Evolution Has Failed #1017744 08/17/22 01:58 AM
C
Substitute
Substitute
C
Nice options! I thought about possible merchandise stuff as well, but unfortunately when it comes to "What Legion merchandise would you buy if you had the chance?" the correct answer is "Yes" :-)

Originally Posted by Evolution Has Failed
(pantsless Colossal Boy + barely-clothed Cosmic Boy belong to Grell).

We could've seen pantsless costumes with Cockrum as well... X-Men's Colossus, anyone? :-)

Comics_Archeology #1017748 08/17/22 12:15 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Comics_Archeology
We could've seen pantsless costumes with Cockrum as well... X-Men's Colossus, anyone? :-)

So all this time, POV was pantsless as a living tribute to Cockrum?! smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires