Roll Call
0 members (), 32 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: If you were in charge at DC, what direction would YOU go with the LSH?
#47859 07/09/07 07:54 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Remix for me.

Just off the top of my head:

- Cockrum/Grell Shady, Vi, and Phantom Girl

- WaK Light Lass

- Sensor Girl from another reality where she is Supergirl, not Projectra

- Quislet and Tellus

I'll come back to this thread after I've thought it out some more.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#47860 07/10/07 10:30 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I voted to start up from the Lightning Saga.

It basically has all the traditional elements the Legion requires (interesting characters, good interaction between characters, colorful uniforms, a somewhat optimistic and functional 31st century). It has a background from the Shooter/Levitz era, so readers would not have to suffer through another reboot or reimagining of the majority of characters. It leaves the door open for a remix or tweeking of characters (Val & Sensor Girl) so favorites can be included. Finally, it seems to have been received well by many Legion readers.

The LAST thing the Legion needs is another reboot. 5YL, Zero Hour, and Waid's version have all served to fracture the Legion mythos more than enhance it. I'm all for original ideas, but more fractures will result in a Legion base so diversified, it would never sell enough issues to sustain itself.

Start with a solid foundation - move Forward with good stories and established characters.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#47861 07/10/07 11:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Matthew E:

If I absolutely had to mix versions together, I'd do it this way: I'd break down the walls between universes and have all the different versions meet each other (versions I'd use: 5YL, SW6, DnA, WaK). They'd fight some kind of interdimensional menace together, and at the end of it you'd have one big world with one big Legion. Everybody's history would be intact. The problem of duplication of characters would be handled by some non-traumatic combination of character death and retirement and maybe some other things. The resulting Legion would probably have about forty people in it, maybe more, and it would take forever for them all to get to know each other and the characterization potential would be fantastic.
Umm, this sounds excellent. Not at all appalling.

I actually voted "cartoon" 'cause I don't want the REMIX to be at all EXILES-ey.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#47862 07/10/07 11:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm actually really down with EDE's whole "opening of the REMIX era scenario" of having, say, Theena, Kent and Laurel having a kono juice and wondering if Catspaw, Bouncing Boy, Dawnstar, Neon and Gates are back from their mission yet.

That would be pretty representative of all eras. Then just go from there!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#47863 07/11/07 12:37 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Wow! In its first few days, this poll is shaping up a LOT differently than I thought it would, given the current top 2!

Of course, we've only had 33 votes so far, so anything can change in the next two weeks!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#47864 07/11/07 01:45 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Interestingly, what the top 2 have in common is that they both try to acknowledge the validity of multiple versions of the Legion, rather than only taking one to be the definitive version!

#47865 07/11/07 01:59 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Interestingly, what the top 2 have in common is that they both try to acknowledge the validity of multiple versions of the Legion, rather than only taking one to be the definitive version!
Hmmm...are you listening, DC? hmmm

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#47866 07/11/07 10:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I would clearly establish (not necessarily publish) the relationship of the various Legions to each other, to the Crises, and to the various DC universes.

I would like to see three Legions:

(1) the animated Legion
(2) the Lightning Saga Legion
(3) the WaK Legion

The animated Legion should be free from any continuity in the comic book universe. I'd hope that the animated DCU would be reasonably internally consistent.

The Lightning Saga Legion should be from some established DC universe. My first thought is that it, and Star Man, could be from the Kingdom Come Universe. I'm sure someone will point out a thousand problems with that theory, but I like it. Their trip to the current JLA/JSA earth, whatever it's called, could have been an unintentional universe jump. That might be able to be used to explain some inconsistencies between pre-COIE Legion canon and the Lightning Saga Legion.

The Wak Legion, despite the shortcomings of the series, is a good base for a committed creative team to expand. My favorite aspect of this Legion is the fusion of the members powers with their personalities as pointed out by someone else on this board (was it Matthew E?).

I would love for the Wak Legion to continue as the main Legion title and for the book to take on more sci-fi characteristics. With JLA, JSA, and Titans out there, the DCU and my CBS are already pretty crowded with super-hero action titles. (or super hero inaction titles, as some have said about the Lightning Saga)

I would like the Lightning Saga Legion to be the current time-line DCU's drop-in/crossover-just-visiting Legion -- with or without everyone knowing that they come from an earth other than the one they visit when they show up in JLA/JSA.

I'd like to see the Legions' orphans -- basically everyone who joined the Legion after Dawnstar -- parsed into the three universes in some reasonably logical manner. i don't know enough about them to begin to figure out how.

The main Legion book, I think, can't sustain more that 25 or 30 members otherwise it becomes too unwieldy for new readers and new creative teams.

#47867 07/11/07 10:59 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
It's a tough choice, but I went with a remix.

First I'd rather the Legion have no concrete ties to Superman, Superboy or Supergirl. One of the best things to me that came out of the first Crisis was the separation of the Legion and the JSA from the Big Three. Both teams are full of interesting characters who are overshadowed when anything resembling Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman show up. JLA is about the Big Three. JLI was the most prominent version that wasn't and, because of that, was the best version for me.
I'd rather have a universe with Miss America in the JSA and Laurel Gand in the Legion anyday!

There are some wonderful things I'd want to keep from the WaK Legion. Theena leaps to mind immediately, as does Colossal Boy's Big Gay Brother (though I'd rather they be normal-sized humans who can grow big). I like the throngs of lower-case-l "legionnaires."

I think Mike Grell was drawing the Legion when I first started reading, so I wouldn't mind a return to some of his and Dave Cockrum's costume designs (including the Cosmic Bustier for at least one appearance. wink He could change his mind and go back to the pink one after that). I'd also like at least some of the Legionnaires portrayed as being adults.

I've only read a little of the Reboot, but I love the "bright shining future" idea.

Of course, I'll keep buying the title no matter what! laugh

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#47868 07/11/07 11:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't mind each Legion exisiting in their multiverse and interacting. Sure have a few members join another Legion.

But the big remix Legion IMO is going to bring some problems. Like one day Mon-El will show missing an eye, Polar Boy will be blue, etc. wink

Ofcourse we could just make it a hypertime Legion but ohwell. The mix sounds fun but I just think things might get crazy.

#47869 07/11/07 11:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
P.S. Having different legions interact ala the original JLA/JSA team-ups would rock.

#47870 07/12/07 11:46 AM
Deputy
Deputy
it would be a mix of the Lightning saga version and the Post Magic War (just to get the five years leading to the 5 years later).

Oh, and if I was in charge of DC, I would fire Dan Didio laugh

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#47871 07/13/07 03:42 PM
Leader
Leader
I voted for publish a bunch of different versions simultaneously and see what clicks. Actually, I'm sort of hoping this is how DC will chose to celebrate the Legion's 50th anniversary.

However, if I had free reign, I'd chose to start with an all-new continuity. I'd label it the Earth-2 Legion, although we have hints that the Lightning Saga group may be from that Earth.

Anyway, my version would imagine the team with Adventure 247 as the jumping off point, with the founders having the same costumes, powers and origins, although I'd s.c. the whole names-on-the-uniform motif.

I'd also get an artist like Steve Rude, capable if rendering a lush, retro future. Like Adventure 247, the series would look like the 31st century as if designed in 1958.

My big hook would be that, like Adventure 247, space travel is limited to the solar system. This would be the Legion in a solar system the way it might be if, by the 31st century, we still have not developed faster-than-light travel.

There would be hints of life beyond the solar system, such as a strange semi-sentient protoplasmic creature called Chameleon Boy, and Halk Kar Jr., who claims to be from a world called Thoron, but by and large, we'd be limited to the 95 known planets and moons of the Sol system.

Many of the characters would be the same, but, like the original Guardians of the Galaxy, their powers would be the result of bio-engineering. Shrinking Violet's people able to shrink to love on Ceres, Triplicate Girl's race bred to reproduce asexually for extra-solar exploration.

Some would tie to Earth-2. For example, Wildfire and Dawnstar would be the reincarnated Carter and Shiera Hall. Rond Vidar would have Alan Scott's GL ring, which has cycled around to flaming for life, instead of power, granting him immortality while he wears it, which he does under the codename Kid Eternity.

A big part of the theme would harken back to today's politics, with humanity having expanding right to the brink of the system's ability to sustain the population, and worlds beginning to clash over resources and religion.

But, as with all Legion's, this group will have been founded on the heroic ideal of the past, inspired by Power Girl and "Superboy" to work for truth and justice as an example of inter-culture harmony.

#47872 07/13/07 04:03 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Wow. I'm kind of digging your ideas, PB!

#47873 07/14/07 08:31 PM
Deputy
Deputy
My gut wanted a remix, but I voted to keep working on the threeboot. The heart of any piece of fiction are in my opinion its characters, plot often evolves from characterization. The Legion is not different: we love reading about the Legion because we care about the Legionnaires. The reason why a remix would do more harm than good is that it would be so much more difficult to keep the histories of the different Legionnaires straight, to keep track of who knows who, who has had any history/interaction with whom in the past. For a group the size of the Legion that additional level of complexity would be deadly, writers would probably have to spend way too much of their time dealing with continuity issues. I'd rather just read good Legion stories, frankly.

#47874 07/15/07 02:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I forget what I voted for but...

I've always thought the best thing to do for the Legion (especially now in light of the DCU changes) would be to publish a series called "The Legion of Super-Heroes," but which starred Superboy and Supergirl (maybe even Jimmy Olsen, Pete Ross, and Lana Lang occasionally) and showing their adventures with the Legion.

The premise would be that the Silver/Bronze Age versions of the super-cousins exist somewhere (now in the 52 Earths, before who gave a crap...just like the animated versions, TV-inspired comics, etc.) and that each story would involve either one (or sometimes both) of them having an adventure with a version of the Legion. Since they are traveling through time, one issue could take place in the Adventure era...the next is 5years later...then a two-parter involving the Giffen Legion...all from the relative perspective of Superboy or Supergirl. Who they themselves are in two separate time periods.

In the series one could tell the unknown tale of Mordru's first encounter as well as any of the Post-Boot's forgotten plot points (this one would be trickier due to a lack of a Superboy or Supergirl presence...but it could be worked around - Alternate futures).

Superboy's encountered alternate versions of the Legion in the past - SUPERBOY #117, so I think he'd be used to seeing different Legionnaires every few months.

The only issue I have is the stupid ban against using Superboy, but it would allow all fans to get what they want, for DC to profit, and the chance to maybe read some exciting stories instead of boring retreads that pale in comparison to the originals.

#47875 07/15/07 03:04 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Wow. I'm kind of digging your ideas, PB!
Thanks EDE! I've fleshed out the entire roster of "my Legion" here .

#47876 07/22/07 02:05 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
I'm enough of a diehard LSH fan that I'm OK with just about any of the 12 options (except the Magic Wars one. I read that arc a few years back and pretty much hated it). But the 3boot Legion is the one we have now, and The Brave and the Bold #5 shows me that both it and Waid writing it could be pretty near pitch-perfect.

-- Still here to help.
#47877 07/24/07 01:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Rurouni KJS:
I'm enough of a diehard LSH fan that I'm OK with just about any of the 12 options (except the Magic Wars one. I read that arc a few years back and pretty much hated it). But the 3boot Legion is the one we have now, and The Brave and the Bold #5 shows me that both it and Waid writing it could be pretty near pitch-perfect.
Oh, they could've had the Magic Wars happen in the near past but just not ever mention it again. smile

#47878 08/03/07 08:21 AM
Substitute
Substitute
How about a Super Legion of Super Heroes - with an uber-team made up of members from all the teams from the multiverse - a new Legion of 52 members tackling problems throughout the multiverse...

#47879 08/08/07 01:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You know if they do bring back a PC type Legion I hope they don't spend too much time on the past. Just hit the ground running. I've read my Levitz Legion like 3x times over again and I am reading the older stuff now. Don't want to relive it.

Oh and I would make sure Mekt never looks like a christmas tree again! wink

#47880 08/08/07 03:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Poor Mekt. Christmas tree costume and a dark, padded room. frown

#47881 08/26/07 01:59 AM
Applicant
Applicant
I first became seriously addicted to the Legion around issue 302, bought back issues and collected regularly until the dead started rising during the 5YL run. Only recently when my daughter started watching the animated Legion did I, through the magic of eBay, Wikipedia and this site, catch up on everything.
I was quite shocked when I read that "my" legion didn't exist anymore, and equally thrilled when I read about the Lightning Saga and the pending "return" of the original LSH.
So my vote would be for the following: the current Legion continues to be the main focus of the book ... and the other versions are given backup status, showing 6-9 page mini stories every month or couple of months. I'd prefer to see entire arcs of one Legion taking up the whole book for a few months, and then another arc with one of the other legions for a few months ... but there would never be any new readers if that were the case. Long time readers would just love it though!
Why do we have to have just one version of the LSH? My favourite is clearly the "original", but I still feel the current take is the most interesting and has such potential. (I'm still reading it all for the first time but I really don't like the reboot legion. Too much happening too fast, members dropping dead every time I pick up a new pile to start reading!)
Merging the teams into one book and discarding the rest would seem to be just as much as slap as the original Crisis was to throwing away the past. Unnecessary. Just leave everyone in their own universes and running their own stories. Eventually, just as the Legion itself was displaced from Adventure and Action only to rise again in Superboy, one incarnation will rise above the others and the focus of the book will change, with the other Legions moving to the "backup" role.
However, I do hope it's in fact the original Karate Kid appearing in the artwork for the new post-SuperGirl Legion. Not that I dislike the new Kid, but I just don't see where he would change that drastically. Hopefully they're moving the LS Kid to the 31st century and the threeboot Kid will be stuck in the 21st. Or something like that.

Anyway ...

#47882 08/26/07 03:31 AM
Deputy
Deputy
For writer's I would hire Jim Shooter and Paul Levitz to De-Boot the title back to the glory days and keep most of their 30 year history with Kal-El intact,Build upon that history and expand the Legion universe with spin-off's,mini series and specials,Keep them in mostly classic bronze age costumes and have them be adults,For the art hire George Perez,Alan Davis,Steve Lightle,Mike Grell to name a few,re-introduce the re-boot characters in the Legion Academy which would get one of the spin-off title's along with a new version of the Wanderers and a group of intergalactic bounty hunters led by Tyr.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Neemers
Neemers
Oregon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star