Roll Call
0 members (), 60 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!?
#48178 08/06/08 12:43 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I think he's joking.

#48179 08/06/08 02:25 PM
Active
Active
I HOPE he's joking...

... I know him - so I KNOW he's joking smile

#48180 08/06/08 03:25 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
Originally posted by Ricardo:
[b] DC January 2009 solicitaions:

Legion of Super-Heroes: Arena
Where did you see this? I couldn't find it on any of the sites that post solicitations. [/b]
It was a joke, don't worry. I don't think DC would get THAT low... Or would it?

#48181 08/06/08 03:31 PM
Active
Active
It was a joke, don't worry. I don't think DC would get THAT low... Or would it?
Let's wait and see what the storyline in L3W #5 is......

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#48182 08/06/08 05:08 PM
Substitute
Substitute
[b]
[b] DC January 2009 solicitaions:

Legion of Super-Heroes: Arena
Where did you see this? I couldn't find it on any of the sites that post solicitations. [/b]
It was a joke, don't worry. I don't think DC would get THAT low... Or would it? [/b]
Ugg my heart almost stopped when I read it.....whew

I figure they are just going to do what they did with Titans in the Titans/JLA team-up.

#1 issues sell....so it will be a new series I think after L3W.

#48183 08/06/08 07:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
Unfortunately for <strike> all</strike> both of us Calero legion fans, that's not too likely. Calero has a Darkman gig at Marvel. Maybe you should all come to the Baltimore Comic Con and ask the creators yourselves.
I hope you are counting me as one of the both. If not, make it three.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#48184 08/06/08 07:33 PM
Active
Active
guys @_@ he's NOT doing LSH @___@

#48185 08/06/08 10:30 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by veryvery:
guys @_@ he's NOT doing LSH @___@
But is he doing something RELATED to LSH? :wink:

#48186 08/06/08 11:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Considering you got your info off Rich here, I take it with a pinch of salt. And LSHv5 concluding? Not very surprising. But Levitz/Giffen and not Johns and/or Perez? Give an old man what he wants, for the latter.

And I don't see how Lo3W can fiddle with the awkward time-space anomalies any better than LSHv4105, or Legionnaires 61, which had the title of "If I Could Turn Back Time". Eye...ronic!

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.
#48187 08/07/08 02:00 AM
Active
Active
And I don't see how Lo3W can fiddle with the awkward time-space anomalies any better than LSHv4105, or Legionnaires 61, which had the title of "If I Could Turn Back Time".
Geoff Johns + Time Trapper = solution

My guess is that the reboot/3boot will be from 'pocket universes' - not one of the 52 Earths - so the Trapper can wipe them out without affecting the multiverse. Geoff Johns has stated that the Superboy pocket universe is canon so adding two more doesn't seem a big deal for bad ol TT.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#48188 08/07/08 03:12 AM
Applicant
Applicant
I have spent the better part of the past year reading every issue of the Legion including crossovers from 1948 to the present. I do prefer the original Legion but came to like some aspects of the first and second reboots. I didn't mind the most recent incarnation with Mark Waid at the helm but I never quite "got it" 100%. I enjoyed aspects of the Waid version but the overall arc never sucked me in totally. His story in the first reboot of Triplicate Girl was so awesome I thought his Legion should have been much much better because the guy can write. My preference would be to see the original Legion back. Whether that means telling stories that ocurred between previous issues like X-Men First Class or X-Men Lost Generation and I don't care if they had the adult Legion and picked up where the first universe ended. I think there were plenty of possibilities still left and many stories I wanted to see. Maybe they could retell the Giffen issues and make a more coherent telling with actual characterization as opposed to us always having to guess who the hell everyone was (if anyone remembers those issues). I never cared much for the first reboot until Daniel Abnett came along and breathed extra-ordianry life into a staley plotted book with uninteresting stories. I wouldn't mind letting Abnett finish his storyline. As far as Shooters return to the Legion I am amazed at how lackluster it is. With some minor exceptions the only thing I found interesting was Princess Projectras legal hassles (which is probably only there to the degree that it is because of Shooters own roller coaster carreer which I'm sure had plenty of legal B.S.) To that end Geoff Johns is a welcome addition to the list of writers that have worked on the book. I, like everyone else out there, am hoping for the best.

We are Legion!
#48189 08/08/08 01:42 PM
Active
Active
New CBR, interview with Johns on the Legion:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17650

Some interesting quotes from Johns about Shooter:

Johns closed by saying "Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds" won't tie in directly with Jim Shooter's "The Legion of Super-Heroes" but added "it's not directly tied in, but the characters and where Jim has them are. Jim Shooter's work on the Legion is a huge influence. He's one of the greatest comic writers in any generation, from his work at Valiant, Marvel and now [again] at DC."

Asked if he'd like to write a "Legion" ongoing one day, the always candid Johns said, "If the opportunity presented itself and it was the right time, we'll see. I love the Legion."

#48190 08/08/08 04:17 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Superboy:
New CBR, interview with Johns on the Legion:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17650

Some interesting quotes from Johns about Shooter:

Johns closed by saying "Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds" won't tie in directly with Jim Shooter's "The Legion of Super-Heroes" but added "it's not directly tied in, but the characters and where Jim has them are. Jim Shooter's work on the Legion is a huge influence. He's one of the greatest comic writers in any generation, from his work at Valiant, Marvel and now [again] at DC."

Asked if he'd like to write a "Legion" ongoing one day, the always candid Johns said, "If the opportunity presented itself and it was the right time, we'll see. I love the Legion."
Is he talking about CURRENT Shooter's work? He really seems to be talking about the past here... And, still, it doesn't answer anything. I still keep with my feeling to Johns coming to the book sooner or later.

By the way, there is a feeling that DCU will have something serious in 2009 right after Final Crisis. All books seem to be on hold at that time, if you can read between the lines...

#48191 08/10/08 05:01 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Superboy:
Whatever momentum the Legion has will be killed by Bedard doing something with the 3boot and waiting 6-8 months for Johns to do something...

Almost better if they don't do anything and just let the Legion go dormat until Johns can write it. Or until they give it to someone that they are willing to let do something meaningful with it.

I agree. I think Bedard's an okay writer, but DC either to have the person on Legion who is going to move it forward. If that is Johns, they have to wait until his schedule allows it -- even if the means no Legion for a few months.

If they want something to fill in the space, have Bedard work on L.E.G.I.O.N. instead -- or maybe a historical look at the Legion.

#48192 08/10/08 05:05 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Chemical King:
I certainly would prefer a classic Legion continuity ONGOING book done by Levitz/Giffen, but that in my eyes is wishful thinking... does Levitz even have a decent story left? He pretty much wrote the title for how long, a decade?

While I'm a big fan of both of their runs, I don't think bringing either back long-term would work. Maybe for a one-issue special, but monthly? No!

#48193 08/10/08 05:26 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I have two thoughts about the Waid/Shooter LSH. I never really minded the universe Waid devised. I liked the concept of underagers being prisoners of their parents, but Waid never really explained how the Legion "revolution" actually changed things. Other than a few confrontations between Legionnaires and adults in which the Legionnaires often came across as spoiled brats, it just seemed pretty innocuous. I think Waid could have taken that much farther by making the UP more sinister in its intentions toward underagers rather than a bunch of adults who seemed to go "oh, no, look at those annoying kids" over and over.

Where Waid really suffered is in failing to develop characters. He had some decent ideas, but the overriding focus on Cosmic Boy versus Braniac Five, followed by bringing in the Cheerleader from Krypton, left most of the Legionnaires as little more than shells who didn't grow much beyond their initial character types. What I loved about Shooter is that he immediately went to work trying to flesh out the characters that Waid had left him. While I don't love everything he's done (I hate feral Brin), there is significantly more depth to the characters now than there was when Shooter took over.

Further, I look at the run from 37 through 44 as largely an attempt to undo some of Waid's damage. Right now, I suspect we are where Shooter would have liked to start the series. We have a number of characters who have recognizable personalities and a Legion that, for the first time in the series, is not in a struggle with the UP and is financially independent. Shooter could not have started from this point because it would have been too divorced from what Waid left, so it took some issues to reach. I would have liked to see 12 or so issues from this point, since I think this is really where Shooter would have felt free to develop the universe he would have created independently. It's a shame it won't happen.

#48194 08/10/08 07:04 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by reckless:
Where Waid really suffered is in failing to develop characters.
I know that a lot of people hold this opinion, but I believe that the character work Waid did during his run is quite excellent, and superior to that of any other era of Legion comics. In particular I submit Dream Girl, Cosmic Boy, Invisible Kid, Light Lass, Triplicate Girl, Atom Girl and Chameleon as Legionnaires who were well-drawn.

#48195 08/10/08 08:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Matthew E:
[b]Where Waid really suffered is in failing to develop characters.
I know that a lot of people hold this opinion, but I believe that the character work Waid did during his run is quite excellent, and superior to that of any other era of Legion comics. In particular I submit Dream Girl, Cosmic Boy, Invisible Kid, Light Lass, Triplicate Girl, Atom Girl and Chameleon as Legionnaires who were well-drawn. [/b]
I think he created interesting archetypes but did virtually nothing in giving those characters much depth. I'm also not sure I really agree with Dream Girl. She seemed pretty one note -- self-assured (which makes sense given her powers) and flirty. Cosmic Boy was autocratic and struggled with the divisions in the Legion. I got that. But it would have been nice to see something beyond that initial characterization. Did he have a softer side? How did he develop allies? I enjoyed the fact that Trips bodies had different personalities and I liked crazy Atom Girl, but beyond the superficial aspects of the characters, they never seemed particularly real.

By contrast, I've liked how Shooter has shown characters with a range of emotions. Imra, for instance, can be controlling and pushy, and unwilling to give an inch, but then she has a different side she shows when she's with Garth. Brin (and others) can be outraged about Imra's abuse of her powers when they are victims, but invite the same abuses when they are directed at others. Meanwhile, he can seem homicidal at one time or a bully toward Legionnaires whose powers he doesn't respect, but softens when he is with Jeckie. Even Lyle, who normally is pretty meek and brainy, can get angry enough to tell off Brin and Shady. Those type of behaviors seem far realistic, especially for the teens that the Legionnaires are supposed to be.

#48196 08/11/08 03:03 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I agree with you, Reckless, about everything you articulated. Shooter has done a great job bringing along the Legion transition from Waid's reboot. I still hold out hope that Mr. Shooter will continue on for another year or longer.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#48197 08/11/08 06:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute

I'm also not sure I really agree with Dream Girl. She seemed pretty one note -- self-assured (which makes sense given her powers) and flirty.
Waid's Dream Girl is why i started reading the Legion. I LOVED Waid's Dream Girl until she became a ghost.

#48198 08/11/08 10:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Waid's Dream Girl is why i started reading the Legion. I LOVED Waid's Dream Girl until she became a ghost.
Waid's Star Boy is why I stopped reading the Legion. I loved DnA's Star Boy until he became a token.

(If they needed racial diversity, why didn't they just reboot Xs?)

Wayne@OZ
#48199 09/28/08 05:11 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Confirmed: Legion of Super-Heroes ends with #50.

I met Jim Shooter yesterday at the Baltimore Comic-Con. And he confirmed that the title is ending.

He was very nice about it all. He understands how things work.

He did say he will stay active in comics, with some possibilities with Dark Horse and DC (non-Legion, apparently). He hasn't decided what to do yet. I pleaded with him that if there's any way he can do anything related to the Legion in the future to please do so; we like his stuff.

Geoff Johns said during the DC Nation panel that for the future of the Legion, read Legion of Three Worlds.

Shooter did say that Neal Adams volunteered to do the variant cover for #44 when he heard that Shooter was on the Legion. He wanted to help promote it since Shooter is a writer who "gets it".

He also signed my copies of Adventure 346, 353, 359, and 369; the last one (by Adams) which prompted the comment about the variant.

#48200 09/28/08 06:52 AM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
I would love to have Jim Shooter on a Classic Legion book,I have no doubt with those characters Jim could make it one of DC's best sellers.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#48201 09/28/08 07:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I don't think it is, really. The greatest challenge is realizing that the format that originally worked, a teen club that invited superboy to join...worked. When the group was counted down and out, something about that magical alchemy worked.

Then, they got away from that, and it didn't. And because of Crisis (the real one, not all the copies since) Superboy was removed again, and it went downhill.

Ya know, the more i think about it, the more i realize, Crisis was a great story, but it has become poor business.

Hmmm, gonna write something about this.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#48202 09/28/08 07:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Rick is onto something; Superboy was a cornerstone, and part of the history. But Leviz/Giffden proved Legion could stand on its own and be a heavy-hitter as well.

I personally believe the 80s (and even 70s) Legion should have been palling around with a young Superman, not a Superboy, as both should have grown over the years.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ghost Girl
Ghost Girl
Shangalla
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star