Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 72 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 08:53 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
No Legion Archives in a while--is it because...
#52925 09/18/07 02:19 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
...of the ongoing Superboy legal standoff?

To me, the timing seems about right, so it may be the reason.

Other possibilities:

1) Low sales on Vol. 12? Any idea how it did saleswise for DC?

2) Greater accessibilty of the issues contained within as far as back issue prices--I've heard this one mentioned here and there as the last couple were released. Personally, I think that's a crock! Have you checked eBay and your CBS lately?

Personally, I love the Archives, and would continue to buy them forever, even when they would reach volumes where my collection is complete. The paper quality is terrific and won't fade anytime soon, and it would just be ultra-cool to have an encyclopedic reference set of every single Legion story ever! love

And DAMN...13 woulda had the earliest Levitz stories, including Condo's death, which I've never read!!! mad

So whaddaya think: Is Superboy the likely culprit holding things up, or were they unlikely to continue anyway? And would you support more Legion Archives?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Re: No Legion Archives in a while--is it because...
#52926 09/18/07 01:19 PM
Active
Active
I guess it's been YEARS since an Archive has been published. While I bought all the first 11 issues, I did not get the 12th one - because I have all the single issues already (except for Karate Kid #1, but I thought it should be easy to get that book for less then 49 bucks...).

I guess it's far more difficult to get the Adventure run in single issues than those Superboy books. Heck, I am over here in germany where nobody seems to collect the Legion except for me, and even here it was no big problem to get all those old issues (took far more time to get some of the old Baxter issues - for whatever reason that was). And they are not very expensive, so many people will think twice before buying the nice, but very expensive Archive format.

I guess I would buy the Archives when I would get them a little cheaper via Ebay, but 49$ for stories I already own completely? No, that's too much.

#52927 09/18/07 03:03 PM
Reservist
Reservist
As far as I heard, the plans were only to go to Archive # 12. Maybe if there's an outpouring of demand that'll change some minds. However, DC accomplished their goal.

#52928 09/18/07 03:12 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
I was at an Archives panel in SDCC just before Vol. 12 came out. We were asked to vote on whether the Karate Kid series should be included fully, partially (major Legion appearances), or not at all.

The winning vote was partially. And then #12 was published. Based on their intentions then and other things I've read the Legion Archives were highly successful and they had/have every intention of continuing them.

I have no idea why they stopped. Even though I have every issue that could be archived, I still want them in Archive form and hope that they start producing them again (and soon).

#52929 09/18/07 03:36 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm with Nighty. The Archives are highly conveinent for traveling and reading on a plane or on vacation, and the paper quality is really terrific. I wish they'd keep producing them.

The first time I ever was able to see the Cockrum Legion issues was due to the Archives. I imagine the same thrill would be there for a fan to get their first read of Earth War or the Wildfire Legioin Leadership period.

#52930 09/18/07 03:50 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I blame it on Dawnstar. The next volume would include her first appearance, right? Who the Grell wants that? :rolleyes:

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#52931 09/18/07 03:55 PM
Active
Active
i think i read somewhere they stopped them because they're in the range where most fans can afford the back issues...dont quote me i cant find that statement.

Bring back the super-cousins
#52932 09/18/07 04:14 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
I've read that too...from fans speculating why they haven't produced #13.

But, each year, those who keep track of the Archives seem to expect a new Legion Archive to be announced.

#52933 09/18/07 04:19 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think actually it might have to do with some copyright law in 1975 or something where the artists are paid a higher commission on having their art reprinted. I read about it here in the Gym'lls forum (from a LW poster). I'll look for the explanation.

#52934 09/18/07 04:31 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I don't think that's as prohibitive to the archives as it is to the Showcases, Des... DC retails the Archives for $40-50, and it takes two+ to match what's reprinted in one Showcase.

Case in point, Adam Strange... the Showcase volume reprints all the stories in the two Adam Strange Archives, -plus- five.

DC did an Archive series for the Wolfman/Perez 80's Titans.
[Linked Image]

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#52935 09/18/07 04:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I knew if I mentioned it but was vague and relatively unhelpful that you or someone would be able to complete my train of thought wink

#52936 09/18/07 11:11 PM
Active
Active
So no one thinks it's because of the legal dispute over Superboy or isn't at least partially influenced by it? Have they published any Showcases featuring Superboy and/or the Legion since the lawsuit was filed?

#52937 09/18/07 11:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I blame myself.

When #12 was published, I was astonished at how terrible the cover artwork re-construction was, and how terrible the re-coloring job within was. (It was *full* of coloring errors, some major, but lots and lots of minor ones.)
I emailed the editor of the project (forget his name) and complained about that, emphasizing how I was really looking forward to that archive because those issues are really dear to me, from my childhood.

Maybe he just felt like they'd never be able to do a good enough job in re-creating those stories, and gave up?

#52938 09/18/07 11:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Maybe I'm just not all that picky, but Archives 10 (which raised so much fuss DC made it exchangeable) didn't look so bad to me, so I just kept it and didn't bother. Were the problems in 12 less than, more than or about the same as those with 10?

Personally, I washoping they'd continue, so I would get to finally read the JLA/JSA crossover and "Earth War". The latter, especially, is the one Legion story I've never read that I'm the most desperate to finally read for myself! frown

#52939 09/19/07 03:01 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by The Computer Tyrant:
Have they published any Showcases featuring Superboy and/or the Legion since the lawsuit was filed?
The ruling in favor of the Siegel estate regaining copyright to Superboy happnened last year, and the Legion Showcase Volume One came out this year.

#52940 09/19/07 09:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Some of the black and white artwork was really muddy in #10. It *was* terrible. I, however, found it a hassle to exchange my copy for the reprint, so I let it be.

I just can't believe, with all the technology available, and keen eyes looking at Legion material, that they'd let such second rate productions happen. Especially at Archive Edition prices!

But they've got me... if they put out another edition, I'd buy it despite it's quality, and gripe about it if it was bad. (I'd rave about it if it was great, too!)

#52941 09/19/07 09:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Another milestones I anticipated in a volume 13...first Dawnstar! So CLOSE!!!! mad

#52942 09/19/07 09:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Not to mention, the earliest Levitz stories! I know I've heard early Levitz paled in comparison to his return with Giffen, but DAMN--I'd like to have judged for myself!!! :rolleyes:

#52943 09/19/07 10:10 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Another milestones I anticipated in a volume 13...first Dawnstar! So CLOSE!!!! mad
I'm telling you!

That's EXACTLY why we're not getting volume 13! lol

#52944 09/20/07 12:48 AM
Honorary
Honorary
When Levitz originally took over I was quite disappointed. I really missed Shooter's work, and I did not like the element of Marvelish bickering that Levitz introduced. The Legion had always gotten along well together, and (with the exception of Wildfire) had rarely argued much before this. At any rate, when I reread the stories a few years ago, with perspective and absent the comparison to Shooter, I found they are not so bad (aside from that really awful story in issue #235). Levitz's first run was saddled with artistic inconsistency (Jim Sherman was great but couldn't manage a monthly schedule) and also many fill-in issues by Gerry Conway, whose work on the Legion I do not like at all. But the actual issues where both Levitz and Sherman showed up are quite good, especially the first two issues of the Earth War story, and those three great Starlin issues.

#52945 09/20/07 12:51 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
We were asked to vote on whether the Karate Kid series should be included fully, partially (major Legion appearances), or not at all.

The winning vote was partially.
Ah, so it's your fault smile

The appearance of Karate Kid #1 in Archives 12 is such a thorn in my side. Not only doesn't it fit with the rest of the stories (and it's not very good), but it prevented them from including #224 and thus completing the Shooter/Grell run in that book. Having that one oddball Shooter/Grell issue left out just annoys my sense of organization.

#52946 09/20/07 08:50 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I would certainly support further LSH Archive editions. How does DC know if there is a market for these things anyway? Where can one find sales figures for the Archives?

So what.
#52947 09/21/07 05:33 AM
Active
Active
Don't you guys have Ebay over in the U.S.? All those early Levitz books and Earthwar... you should be able to get them cheaply shouldn't you?

I keep on buying comic book gems (recently Wandering Star complete series, Love & Rockets, Thor Visionaries) via German ebay (where there is a much smaller comic book market) for 1-5 Euros... I imagine U.S. Ebay to be a comic book paradise smile

Off course, the archives are nice, but they are too expensive and them being so expensive, I would never take them with me on a journey like somebody said here... they could get HURT smile

#52948 09/21/07 01:20 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Dude, I've been there with the eBay lots! And certain comics seemed especially hard to get, like Earth War. A large lot I won once (which spanned Superboy #189 to deeply into the Tales reprints) had only the first chapter of earth War in it. That lot wasn't cheap! And others that were more inclusive or tighter around what I needed were hotly contested. Too rich for my blood!

Granted, it's been a few years since the last time I tried, but I find it hard to believe the lots are now more plentiful and cheaper!

And, yeah, I can afford one Archives every year or so, and I enjoy the better print quality and reference convenience! tongue

#52949 09/22/07 12:33 PM
Reservist
Reservist
You get almost all of the DC archives for around $35 USD on amazon.com and buy.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,992
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kid Metal \m/
Kid Metal \m/
Kansas City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star