Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added SUNSWORD 5 May*
by razsolo - 05/04/24 11:08 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Supergirl and the Legion #29 - Spoilers!
#56677 04/26/07 07:27 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Whoa - the "real" Legion appeared in some other books? How much screen time did they get? Is it worth picking up?

I agree - this issue was yet another waste of my time and money. I could have bought another beer at Hooters instead...

#56678 04/26/07 08:14 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lance's realm, this is going to be a multi-issue crossover including the JLA, the JSA, and the LSH. Thom Kallor (Starman) is one of the new members of the JSA so he has appeared in that series since Issue #1, the most current issue of JLA (out last week) included Karate Kid's appearance at the very end and the story continues in JSA (out this week) which brings us Nura and Drake + the scene in the Fortress of Solitude which shows life size statues of the Legionnaires from when Superman "was a member." You really need to pick up both series (and I would suggest tracking down all the previous issues of JSA since there have been lots of Legion references from Thom.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#56679 04/26/07 11:37 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I checked out JSA #5 and was very pleased with the way the Legion is being presented there. I need to find the previous issues to better understand what is going on with Thom but Dream Girl certainly has a cozy familiarity about her in this book.Legion fans DO need to check out this "Lightning Saga."

#56680 04/27/07 01:02 AM
Active
Active
wel the most interesting thing for me is that the Gum Booster steals from the Dominators looks very similar to the gun he and rip hunter try to use in 52 (maybe mixed with Steel's invention)

oh and cool thing #2 didn't the recent issue of GL Corps feature Guy teaming up with a Durlan named Daggle and fighting a Dominator working on Genetic engineering and creating Super Khunds? I'm sure it's a coincidence but maybe something is in the air.

#56681 04/27/07 09:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ok, i read it. In defense of Tony Bedard and even the artist I think they got this last minute. Tony wrote this but it's the end of Waid's plot. So I think the plot was already there and Tony just wrote it. For all we know Waid planned to have the Dominator narrate it as well.

It reminded me of the Supreme Intelligence and the Kree in Galactic Storm all the way. Same ending. Not a bad thing.

The art was pretty bad. I think the artist basically did a rush job. Also while his Dominators did look pretty good I got spoiled by Kitson's versions.

I am hoping to see Tony's real story start next issue. Ok back to the JLA/JSA crossover. wink

#56682 04/27/07 10:05 AM
Active
Active
I was thinking last night and I am wondering if maybe Waids last two issues were so ruched they didn't make sense and this early bedard issue was stuck in to explain it.

#56683 04/27/07 11:18 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Vee:
BTW, it just struck me how sad it is that the current issue of JSA (the 2nd part of the JLA/JSA/LSH crossover) has generated 3 times as many posts in reaction to that Legion than an actual issue of the LSH series. frown

Hopefully TPTB will recognize this and make the changes that need to be made. Just look at the excitment that crossover is generating.
Unless they're total idiots I can't see how TPTB could NOT start publishing this version of the pre-crisis Legion.

#56684 04/27/07 12:19 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Unless they're total idiots [/QB]
That's quite a big "unless" when it comes to TPTB...

#56685 04/27/07 12:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I doubt they can just start publishing without at least six months lead time, especially in the case of a book as creatively problemmatic as the Legion. Shooter backing out of the rumored secret project may have upset, or at least seriously postponed, any plans they had to that direction. Maybe not -- we have no idea which incarnation of the Legion he was supposed to write -- it could have been the current one for all we know.

Anyway, Bedard mentioned at this forum he was "pinch-hitting" for Waid and Kitson this issue (which explains the rush artwork) and helping wrap up their storylines, so it seems the current version will go on for the foreseeable future, which is quite alright with me. One version of the Legion does not prohibit the other, and I'm perfectly capable of enjoying one, the other, or both.

Returning to the plot at hand, the idea that by losing the war and seeing their stagnant civilization collapse, the Dominators will grow even more dangerous in the next generation, reminded me of what happened to Germany after World War I.

#56686 04/27/07 01:05 PM
A
Active
Active
A
On the positive side...

By focusing on the Dominator "mastermind," I didn't have to hear all about Cosmic Boy for another issue.

As pointed out on another board, the issue took longer than a few minutes to read--lots of info in it.

On the negative side...

The whole inter-planetary war plot scheme needs to end and be buried for a long long time. We need some decent villains. I'd even be happy to see Dr. Mayavale after all the ambiguously evil colletives of the past few years.

In the middle...
I don't know what the end of an era tease is really for, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a reference to Cosmic Boy's leadership (and hopefully CB-centric dialogue) ending.

Can you imagine drawing so many sets of dominator teeth in an issue? I would have had all of them wearing those masks.

It seems the solicit texts are running a month behind. Maybe someone can fix that.

#56687 04/27/07 01:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Is Bedard's run going to be similiar to Simone's run? Pinch-hit and the game is over?

#56688 04/27/07 01:46 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think he meant "pinch hitting" to help WaK wrap up the loose ends of the Dominator storyline before he started his planned 6-issue arc. Until we hear differently, he's on until #36. At least that's the impression I get.

Simone's arc was a different beast altogether.

#56689 04/28/07 08:23 PM
Active
Active
why do i look cross-eyed, and why do i find this hilarious?

MektRanzz3

#56690 04/29/07 06:29 PM
C
Active
Active
C
I want to state some things about this plotline just to clarify.

* I love the characters, I really do. They're fun and enjoyable but they never actually seem to DO anything but play around. Some more character development would be appreciated.

* We need some genuine supervillains. I like Lemnos, but he's the ONLY supervillain they've fought in twenty four issues.

It's worse than in New Avengers.

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#56691 04/30/07 08:32 PM
S
Active
Active
S
This issue was horrible... well, I suppose it had some interesting moments, but it was disappointing, poorly drawn, and featured no characterization of any of the Legionnaires. I hope Bedard's six-issue run is better than this.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#56692 05/01/07 06:39 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I thought the issue was so-so, but I have low expectations for this version at this point. I agree the series could use a solid villain appearance. I disagree that Lemnos was one - he was a bore and a wimp. This current series reminds me of the end of DnA; obviously out of gas. However, the DnA run had some things to take away from it. This version has been a bucket of mud to me. I'm not a reboot fan, but I would like TPTB to just cut bait right now. It's obvious (and I'm not alone in this belief) that the JSA/JLA storyline and the animated series are both much more interesting Legion tales than the current Legion book. The Waid Legion has been convoluted and dull for 29 issues now.

PS - the editing screw-up on Inferno is just one more in what seems to be a monthly event on this title. I'm convinced the title has become a low priority at DC for the past year or longer.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#56693 05/01/07 08:19 PM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I thought the issue was so-so, but I have low expectations for this version at this point. I agree the series could use a solid villain appearance. I disagree that Lemnos was one - he was a bore and a wimp. This current series reminds me of the end of DnA; obviously out of gas. However, the DnA run had some things to take away from it. This version has been a bucket of mud to me. I'm not a reboot fan, but I would like TPTB to just cut bait right now. It's obvious (and I'm not alone in this belief) that the JSA/JLA storyline and the animated series are both much more interesting Legion tales than the current Legion book. The Waid Legion has been convoluted and dull for 29 issues now.

PS - the editing screw-up on Inferno is just one more in what seems to be a monthly event on this title. I'm convinced the title has become a low priority at DC for the past year or longer.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this run of the Legion that can't be fixed immediately. To step up the pace, to introduce an interesting villain, to dial back on the generational stuff... there's no lead time needed for any of that. It just needs a writer who wants to do those things. And, for all we know, Tony Bedard is such a writer.

#56694 05/01/07 08:34 PM
Active
Active
It seems like pretty much of a consensus on this issue. Bleh. I'll put my two cents in I guess. Sub-par art. The only artist to ever make the Dominators interesting was (Sprouse?)-the one toward the end of the 5 years later> I really should remember his name. Apparently this artist was confused about Shadow Lass' power as she is seen shooting a Dominator in the stomach with her darkness?!? Weird giant Ultra boy, etc. All seem to detract from what was otherwise a mediocre story.

Funny how the last issue left me anticipating and this was a total let down.

As the Stranglers said: Something else else better change.

Is that a moon?
#56695 05/01/07 10:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Matthew E:
[b]... but I have low expectations for this version at this point. I agree the series could use a solid villain appearance... The Waid Legion has been convoluted and dull for 29 issues now.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this run of the Legion that can't be fixed immediately. To step up the pace, to introduce an interesting villain, to dial back on the generational stuff... there's no lead time needed for any of that. It just needs a writer who wants to do those things. And, for all we know, Tony Bedard is such a writer. [/b]
I'd agree for the most part, though because of the present doldrums there's be time for a word-of-mouth pickup in sales and that only if Bedard hits the first arc out-of-the-park. There still will be some agravating snakes to deal with: Orando gone, "Colossal Boy"... ya da ya da, but possibly survivable ones.

#56696 05/02/07 03:43 AM
Honorary
Honorary
The issue was ok, I miss Barry's art already, he is doing a few more issues right?

Well It makes sense now about the 52 part with the Dominators.

Well next issue looks good though.

"There is always a solution to every Obstacle."-Karate Kid
#56697 05/02/07 11:09 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Matthew E - I hope you're right in that Mr. Bedard can turn the ship. That's the only reason why I'm still sticking it out.

The only way I can see it happening is if he leaves behind the Public Service baggage and concentrates on a few short stories with a handful of Legionnaires at a time to build up some momentum. I thought I heard he's working on a six-issue story arc now, which doesn't exude confidence in me initially.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#56698 05/02/07 11:59 AM
M
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
M
The only way I can see it happening is if he leaves behind the Public Service baggage and concentrates on a few short stories with a handful of Legionnaires at a time to build up some momentum.
You may not have noticed, but the Public Service stuff hasn't really been an issue in over a year. There have been one or two nods in its direction, but that's about it.

And I think you've described about what Bedard said his intentions were for his six issues. Whether he can do it well or not is a different story; I guess we'll see.

#56699 05/02/07 05:08 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I was very disappinted with the aet and scenes. This had the potential to go on to much more issues .With all those subplots. to have it end the way it's going Giants from Collasal Boy's

#56700 05/02/07 05:34 PM
Applicant
Applicant
[QUOTE]Originally posted by perezflo246:
[QB] I was very disappinted with the art and scenes. This story line had the potential to go more issues with all those subplots.To have it end the way it's going to end.Giants from Collasal Boy's home world,Giantrobots, Legionaires and Wanderers scattered thru out the world in small teams
TimberWolf injured.Could of spent more time on each individual battle and situation ,after all it was the world being attacked.What about all those kids that wanted to represent the Legion like Theena?So much to go down so quickly.The Dominators had a pretty brutal game plan. With a powerful army.

#56701 05/03/07 03:21 PM
Eager Young Space Cadet
Eager Young Space Cadet
For starters, I'm surprised Invasion was mentioned. That was a cross-over event that always seems to slip under everyone's radar what with all the Crisises and such.

The best thing I liked about this issue is that it worked to show the side-effects of time-travel.
Yeah, Booster shows up, 'Hi!', grabs the weapon, 'Bye!' and disappears. Usually, something like that occurs in a title and then it's right back to the action. But now, you're shown the consequence of such actions. By doing so, Booster inadvertently started a war, a war that may not have even occurred had his intervention not happened or even sped up the occurrence of the this war if this conflict was indeed inevitable. Yeah, the whole issue was a summary for the most part, but showcasing something like this, that your actions do have perhaps unintended consequences was pretty good to see.

But the art was lacking. If it weren't for their costumes, I would have had a hard time telling some Legionnaires apart.

But I simply don't like the fact that this issue and last issue both ended the exact same way. Last ish, Cos says we're going to conquer the Dominators' homeworld. 24 pages later, he says almost the exact same thing. I wanted to see the Legion unleash on somebody. Full-out rampage. Cos looked mad, acted mad, and I expected to see some heavy-duty brawling. Summary was nice, but come on, where's the action and heroism?

"I have a ticket to the moon....but I'd rather see the sunrise...in your eyes"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,113
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star