Roll Call
0 members (), 2 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/22/24 05:10 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 04:47 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/22/24 04:44 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/22/24 03:37 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/22/24 03:37 PM
Fatal Five in DC August Solicits
by Rob-Em - 05/22/24 10:42 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Harbinger - 05/22/24 08:40 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by Harbinger - 05/22/24 06:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 42 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 41 42
Re: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
#58632 11/22/07 01:12 PM
A
Active
Active
A
I'm still optimistic about this story and this team. (I'm optimistic about the other one too; it's just harder to get over the bitter feelings I have about Mr. Waid's run.)

I hope there's a reveal of another big bad guy, because Rejects wanting the spotlight doesn't really lead naturally to a societal xenophobic wave. Maybe the red sun is having some effect on folks, reminding me of Universo's past schemes. But, then, alien holding camp 6736 has shades of Nardo about it. And Legionnaires in transparent stasis tubes conjures thoughts of Mordru.

Prime highlights for me were the interaction of Imra, Garth, & Rokk; Gim and Dawnstar having a moment; and the reveal of more legionnaires. Tinya looks pretty good with short hair.

So, who is the legionnaire in the holding camp? Someone without a homeworld to return to, but with a tie that keeps him obligated to abiding terrestrial law (Element Lad)? Someone who's been hinted at as being underground (Ayla)? Someone with a history of leading the down-and-out (Polar Boy)?

Next month's issue can't come fast enough.

#58633 11/22/07 01:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Awkward, that's a good idea. Is there someone else behind this? The Rejects are...rejects after all.

In the LS JLA/JSA they showed Degaton, Despero and the Ultra Humanite but I think I read somewhere that is an untold story affecting the JLA.

Re: Costumes above. Argh! My eyes! Some of my all time favorites BUT Ultra Boy & Vi look horrible! Jo has that silly long hair again. Blok on the other hand looks great as does Tinya. Jacques? Hmm, interesting. Don't love but I don't hate it either.

I am going to have send DC some of my Ultra Boy and Shrinking Violet micro heroes to give them costume ideas! wink

#58634 11/22/07 02:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
One reason I like this storyline?

Let's face it the founders are suburban American high school kids from the 1950s. Leave it to Beaver from space.

I understand it's the future and the Legion universe is a parallel to our own. And I'm fine with that.

But even today you see lots of countries fighting that. I use Europe as an example. The EU sounds all hunky dory to me but some europeans don't like it for various reasons. Even on a smaller scale in Spain you have many regions fighting to become their own country.

I would like to see that friction in the UP. Sure the founders look like their from Earth but let's see those subtle differences of their culture, etc.

Earth for the most part appears united in the future but the UP should be like the UN. I'm not saying let's make Winathian culture extremely different and alien now...but let us see those slight differences.

#58635 11/22/07 02:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think the big bad will <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> be the original Brainiac. Also, Brainy will find a way to turn the sun back to yellow somehow so Kal can come back in to the future more often....</span></span>

How does that sound?

#58636 11/22/07 06:35 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I think the big bad will <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> be Lester Spiffany! Seriously all the clues are there. An incrdibly rich Earthman wanting revenge at the Legion for his humiliation!</span></span>

How does that sound? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Paul Newell
Titan President
#58637 11/22/07 06:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
If that turns out to be true, Paul, then this board will erupt into complete mayhem!

#58638 11/22/07 07:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Does there have to be an established big bad? I agree, I tend to think there must be some force beyond the rejects behind things, but what if there's not?

Could Earth-Man (or whoever) be accepted as a *new* bad guy on the way to becoming 'big bad'?

There's been even fewer memorable new villains than there've been new first-rank heroes in the past few years. They have to get their start *somewhere*, don't they?

#58639 11/22/07 08:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
[Linked Image]

#58640 11/22/07 09:02 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Originally posted by Wild Jorge:
One reason I like this storyline?

Let's face it the founders are suburban American high school kids from the 1950s. Leave it to Beaver from space.

I understand it's the future and the Legion universe is a parallel to our own. And I'm fine with that.

But even today you see lots of countries fighting that. I use Europe as an example. The EU sounds all hunky dory to me but some europeans don't like it for various reasons. Even on a smaller scale in Spain you have many regions fighting to become their own country.

I would like to see that friction in the UP. Sure the founders look like their from Earth but let's see those subtle differences of their culture, etc.

Earth for the most part appears united in the future but the UP should be like the UN. I'm not saying let's make Winathian culture extremely different and alien now...but let us see those slight differences.
Oh, certainly. I would think a culture where everyone (well, almost everyone) has a twin, an identical twin, would have siginifcant differences from Earth culture.

Watching television is not an activity.
#58641 11/23/07 02:26 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Dain:
The art is even better in #859 and I almost felt weepy reading it. There was such a sudden surge of emotion that almost got me worried. I mean, it's just a comic book but it can still make me feel enthusiastic and happy as it did in the old days. And it wasn't just nostalgia. It wasn't nostalgia, period. It was a "now" thing and every page was like a rediscovery of something familiar, yet strangely innovated, updated and certainly very beautiful regardless of the dark story. [/QB]
You said it, Dain. It's the first time I've been excited about the LSH since...probably since Monstress joined. I felt a shiver at the mention of Yera's name.

I agree that a couple of the costumes are rather ugly--I like Jo's hair, but Frank seems to be really into the Right to Bare Arms.
cool I do like Garth's tattoo...

#58642 11/23/07 05:24 AM
Active
Active
So did I in almost every page. Yera, the Legionnaires in those boxes and the old Clubhouse with an updated, yet recognizable look and Garth, Imra and Rokk's "portraits", especially Garth's screamed of "this is IT". No, I don't mean "original" or anything. That was not the point.
The point was/is this story is about a redefinition of the Legion's values and spirit. The plot and dialogue show what this arc's point is. It's more than shared history or common backstory with the classic Legion. It's about who Superman is, what the Legion stands for, who they are, why they are, and the legacy they share with Superman. Spirit and values. That's the basis of Superman AND the Legion.
It IS a dark story with a Legion on the run, but what better way to redefine the basis of an entire imaginary universe than showing how those values expressed through the personalities of the Legion and Superman (a powerless Superman yet) stand in the face of extreme adversity? That's why I, for one, am not bothered at all by the darker elements and don't believe it's got something to do with 5YL other than a few superficial similarities.

#58643 11/23/07 10:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't really feel like I belong in this discussion, because I don't have a real good memory of the Adventure years, although that's the Legion I grew up on. However, three weeks ago, I picked up the last two issues of Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes and the first issue of the Legion in Action. I've read every issue of the Legion of Super Heroes faithfully until the last two issues. So I started with Action and was enthralled. I then picked up the LSH issues and tried to read them. I set them aside for later, when I could better "concentrate." What did that tell me? The Action Legion is my Legion. The other one is right now of minimal interest. No offense to Denis Calero, but the art does not draw me in for Legion. It might for a different type of book. However the Action story has me hooked.

So today I braved Northern California holiday traffic to get the latest Action. It was worth every horn-honkin' moment of stalled traffic on I80 for the 45 minutes it took me to go 10 miles to the next town. This is my Legion. I don't care if there are some mess-ups in continuity. The spirit is there. Somebody has really been listening.

Now I hope DC continues to listen. My theory is that they are testing out 2 Legions to see which one, from a business point of view, makes sense to continue. If that's true, I hope it's my Legion, the Action one.

#58644 11/24/07 01:06 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I don't really feel like I belong in this discussion, because I don't have a real good memory of the Adventure years, although that's the Legion I grew up on.
Hey, if you have to remember the Adventure years to be part of this discussion, I'll have to bow out since I wasn't born yet...

#58645 11/24/07 04:23 AM
Active
Active
Oh well, the Adventure years have an "iconic" status of sorts, since that's where a lot of new characters and concepts first appeared that made the Legion what it is/was. It isn't necessary to have read them all (even though I'd recommend it, now that many early issues have been reprinted in glorious b+w in Showcase).
The Legion in Action is much closer to the 70s and 80s than the 60s anyway.

#58646 11/24/07 04:43 AM
Deputy
Deputy
If anybody wants to check out close to 900 pictures of the classic Legion go to
http://www.myspace.com/longlivethelegion1

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#58647 11/24/07 09:53 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
Somebody has really been listening.
No. No, I'm not.

#58648 11/24/07 01:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ok, I got it today! I loved it. Sure I don't love everything but the story is so powerful? dramatic? It just wins me over.

In a way I think it's far fetched that this Earth-Man movement actually convinced all of Earth that Krypton never existed and Superman was from Smallville originally. Nice to see the Legion still operating off earth as well as the UP.

Big bad? Is Universo originally from Earth? smile

The Justice League? It's fun. I recently read all the old Adventure issues where these guys got rejected (except Absorbancy Boy/Earth Man). I became a fan of Spider-Girl in v4 so I hope she IS under a spell. Same with Golden Boy. B

I think the founders should've wiped the floor with them.

Back to Superman and three of my faves! Gim mentions Yera! #305 was my first issue ever so that warmed my heart.

Gary Frank just took the prize from Dennis Calero for drawing freaky kids. I mean the panel with "Long Live Humans" may be the scariest thing I've ever seen in a comic.

And ofcourse the page Gary already posted with Invisible Kid II, Phantom Girl, Ultra Boy, Violet and Blok! BLOK!!!

Blok has never looked better. The rest?! Ugh! Phantom Girl and Invisible Kid I don't mind. Ultra Boy and Violet? Maybe the worse costumes I've ever seen them in. Same goes for Cosmic Boy.

I am really enjoying the art! But the freaky eyes and some of the costumes I am not.

I am nitpicking. I love this issue.

Some v4 ties? The unpopular Legion and the red sun just remind me of Black Dawn.

#58649 11/24/07 01:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Wild Jorge: I think the founders should've wiped the floor with them.
Hard to say, 'Earth Man' seems to have a lot of powers, such as whatever he did to blast aside Cosmic Boy's batarang barrage. We only see Blok, Violet, Ultra Boy, Phantom Girl and Invisible Kid before he adds the founders to his arsenalm 'though, so it's not clear how he did that trick. (Perhaps Tellus was in a tube we didn't see? Or was he absorbing Cos' power right then and there to block the attack?)

And hey, great rationale for why they aren't killing the Legionnaires. He wants them alive, so that he can steal their powers!

Back to Superman and three of my faves! Gim mentions Yera! #305 was my first issue ever so that warmed my heart.
Major bonus points from me for mentioning Yera. She's hardly my favorite (and, to be fair, I don't think she was meant to be seen as a very likable character...), but I totally respect that she's part of the continuity I love.

It's a good thing they printed a second run, I missed 858 when it first came around, and it was sold out at my local store until this new run showed up, so I got to read 858 and 859 back to back.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#58650 11/24/07 05:17 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
[deep, ominous voice] In the future, all costumes will be sleeveless... and '80s punk. Even the hair. [/deep, ominous voice]

Okay, so I've only just started reading the Levitz/Giffen Legion run (I'm only about half a year-- 6 issues-- in); however, there are elements here that clearly draw from that. No question. And I do like that. It makes time a bit more linear in that maybe what I'm reading now could lead to what's being written by Johns. As someone who's mostly familiar with the re- and threeboots, it works nicely for me. But that's just me.

There are definitely elements I don't like though. Chief among my complaints is the art. I really don't care for Gary Frank's style or how it lends itself to the Legion. I get what he's going for-- that gritty feel-- but it just leaves me cold. The costume redesigns are... eh. Some are better than others, obviously. The expressions just bug the hell out of me. And Clark looks young... not in a good way. He's not Superboy anymore.

The story, while compelling, is also rather reminiscent of the Daxam xenophobia plot (reboot era). I get that it has deeper ties to the Legion and stronger ramifications but I feel as though it's a story that's been told before. More than once, even. But Johns does make it compelling (I'm still a fangirl, after all) and I definitely want to know what's coming next. It's sort of cool to see the rejects tearing the Legion apart. It was the seeds they sowed, after all...

Surprisingly, I like Drake and Dawny (who I have not been so fond of so far in LoSH v2). I always like Gim-- he's so nice!-- and here, with his care for his wife and everything... I felt like that was right. (Only the reboot got his personality wrong. But then they killed him so whatever.)

I'm wondering about Garth, Imra and Rokk, though, and the situation with the Legion at the moment. It's only been hinted at and I'm anxious to get a fuller picture. Who's leading, where are the survivors not in stasis, how'd the others get into stasis, which members of the espionage squad disappeared, etc. etc. (We haven't seen Dreamy, Brin or Projectra since Lightning Saga and KK, Starman and Una are in the present but what of the rest of Lu?)

Point: Very enjoyable tale so far. Especially interesting for me as the members are mainly ones I'm learning about from the older sources at the same time. I just hope the story carries on at a good pace and the art improves. (Though that last one may be a vain hope.)

#58651 11/24/07 06:41 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Story: A+

Really enjoying it --- and it does a great job of capturing the classic Legion.

Artwork: B-

Gary Frank's new gritty style is mostly appropriate for a tale of a grim Legion future, but as others have stated, there are too many superfluous ink links.

Costume designs: C-

Some deserve a failing grade (Ultra Boy, Invisible Kid, Lightning Lad, Shrinking Vi). The best ones are those used for Wildfire (looks like a transparent body suit) and Dawnstar. The rest are just meh. Colossal Boy's costume is a big step down from the Cockrum classic.

#58652 11/24/07 07:53 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
True but at least he's not looking like a giant cowboy.
I've always felt that some "classic" things should be left well enough alone.
anywho..

More Legion out there is hunky dory with me. I like the story too. Someone mentioned Nardo upthread but I thought "Universo" while reading it the first time.

Come to think of it it looks a lot like the Blight hit 'ol Mother Terra.

JLA 3008 eh? Looks like I got my wish for a JLA to compete with the Legion. Not necessarily members that I would have chosen though, I see a golden opportunity here to create some 30th Century sci-fi type "Legacy" characters either blown or thrown away.
darnit.

Is this an "Adult Legion" like the guys in the end of the Superman/Batman LSV story? There's not even a suggestion that they might have called on their friend Superboy to save their hash nope, always they talk to Superman as if that's expected, they're his age group, peers.

#58653 11/25/07 05:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It plucks at the old heart strings, it does.

Those JLA guys look more "alien" than the non-Earth legionnaires. I think this sort of conflict has more traction than the youth-adult one - it's a lot darker and sets the stage for more diverse action.

Nardo certainly does come to mind, but I'd see him as the guy running the prison under some more powerful authority. Maybe McCauley is president of Earth again.

The art's a bit of a jolt, as it is every time they change artists, but it works for me. Saturn Girl with big blue eyes - she looks all innocent, and I bet she's more iron-butt than ever. The costumes look more realistic and individual than in other versions.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#58654 11/25/07 03:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

Nardo certainly does come to mind, but I'd see him as the guy running the prison under some more powerful authority. Maybe McCauley is president of Earth again.
Good theory and I was thinking of one villain that no villan have ever done in many times - turning the planet against the super team - as he did to the Legion at least three times - he stands as the vilest villain ever in the Legion history: UNIVERSO!!! That's my theory - he may found a way to hypnotize the Rejects and make the sun go red. Who else can do that? Maybe a combo of him, Leland McCauley (or Ra's Al Ghul), and Brainiac? Hmmm...I will wait and see to see if my theory is wrong or not. smile

#58655 11/25/07 07:40 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
[b]
Good theory and I was thinking of one villain that no villan have ever done in many times - turning the planet against the super team - as he did to the Legion at least three times - he stands as the vilest villain ever in the Legion history: UNIVERSO!!! That's my theory - he may found a way to hypnotize the Rejects and make the sun go red. Who else can do that? Maybe a combo of him, Leland McCauley (or Ra's Al Ghul), and Brainiac? Hmmm...I will wait and see to see if my theory is wrong or not. smile [/b]
I think it's Universo too... he ran a work camp once just like Nardo... remember when he kidnapped all of the "strong-willed" legionnaires including Nura. Maybe she's in the camp. Fingers crossed.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#58656 11/25/07 10:55 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Universo does seem to be the obvious threat, based on his past attempts at world domination, and it would fit his M.O. quite well.

Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling a bit like the Earth just went "Nazi"? With their efforts to purify Earth (humans only, and substituting aliens for Jews). Also the black armbands the Rejects are wearing with the red Superman logo...a bit reminiscent of a Nazi Swastika (at least with the color scheme)! It's like they turned Kal into a 30th Century Hitler!!! frown

On the whole, there's a real mixture of all preboot Legion at once here. You have the team based on the 70's & 80s timeframe (based on their uniforms and historic references, etc.), but heavily pulling from the Adventure era of the 60s (all the Rejects except for Absorbancy Boy, who was 70s), the "Legion Underground" aspect of the Universo story where the Earth turned against the Legion. Part of the team on the run hid out in the Batcave back then. You've also got the alien prison camp (a la Nardo). And touching on the Hitler/Nazi comparison from earlier, Superboy and Hitler actually swapped minds briefly back in Adventure #314!!!! <insert Twilight Zone sound effect here> Coincidence?? Maybe not! smile

I've really got to give props to Johns for this generations-spanning tale!! Way to draw from the LSH's rich history, Geoff!! I can't wait for the next issue!!!!!!!

Oh, and having Eyeful Ethyl as a teacher is hilarious!!! What other profession requires eyes in the back of your head? EyeFulEthel

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
Page 18 of 42 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,593
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tekwych
Tekwych
New Mexico
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star