Roll Call
1 members (Set, Set), 41 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Legion #37 - SPOILERS!
#6168 08/13/04 09:02 PM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
I haven't had achance to read through all of the posts on this topic...yet! (forgive me if this was already addressed). I hope Canary (although I like the character) is not a rebooted Tyroc!!!

Long Live the Legion!!!
#6169 08/14/04 02:12 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Right, have reread the three issues in this run so far and LOVE how well the action flows along.

I haven't read all the other posts in this thread so far so if I repeat things - sorry!

Three things jumped out at me - one was the look on persuaders face - YOW!! Is he respecting Val or is he thinking her's spotted a weakness? Nice little backburning subplot.

Brin kebab isn't a good look, I won't go on about healing factor - I assume it was an injoke - and liked his comment about the 'wilds' - I wonder what the wilds of Rimbor are? are they a particularly brutal estate or are they actual wild land? Made me realise that we still don't know enough about him.

The other point is how did Drura keep her hair and antennae under the little bitty mask?

Other minor thoughts, rambllings, things -

I liked the art, didn't like Vi's dress - can she size shift specific body parts now as she seems to have gained Tasmins unfeasably large breasts from the first issue. Liked Apparition taking time to talk to the child, thats what heroes are for - to inspire the next generation onto their own greatness. Didn't lke the splash page of the team fighting bugs - it was too much like a 'last stand' picture - these are legionnaires - they should kick nass! The blurb from Ayla was alright but I didn't think the part about the insects adapting to their powers was good - I would have thought that Legionnaires and I assume UP peacekeepers would have sorted it out by now. Ah wqell, keeps them out of Metropolis for a while so we can focus on the smaller team. Thought the recruits were an attrocious choice by Chuck especially alluminium boy and sixfeet cube oompaloompa lookalike lad - made me laugh at how useless they were - nice to see that not all metas are useful all the time!
Good that gym'll is still going, and has regrown his third arm too, well done gym'll.

Lantern is a classic happy sociopath, Arrow is the cool calm collected killer, they make a nice combination of characters. Devil bugs me with her posturing and ego, Canary bugs with her servile submissive act - as villains go I really looking forward to their getting comeuppance.

Will post more as I remember it.

Bx

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#6170 08/14/04 02:17 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Harbinger:
The other point is how did Drura keep her hair and antennae under the little bitty mask?
Isn't it obvious? Built-in helmet-tesseract.

#6171 08/14/04 02:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ahh thanks EDE, that explains it lol Nice how her makeup didn't smudge either, Maybeline have improved over the centuries obviously!

Just realised I didn't mention Val being fantastic in my earlier post - I really enjoyed seeing him beat up a few of the thugs before giving the others jobs to do (or presumeably getting a kicking himself from sheer weight of numbers!). Nice Psychology that, neutralise the loud aggressive members of the group then get the others on side. I've had to do that in a few classes - never as coolly as KK did here though I bet laugh

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#6172 08/14/04 06:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
God it's good to have the legion back. This is the type of storytelling and art that made me fall in love with the legion in the first place.

And I have to say i got the big wink at the fans of Brin. Since i am a major fan of his, i not only got it, I loved it.

Honestly, and this isn't a shot at him, so don't take it that way, but all the things Jim had a problem with are the things that made it work for me.

Unless the fourth issue is a major disappointment...this is the team i would want for the book. I love Kitson's regular art, and probably always will, but Jurgens just did the best stuff of his career.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#6173 08/15/04 06:39 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Just thought about that offer that KK made to Organ Thief...could it be to "donate" his extra organs to transplant into Winema or at least some of the injured citizens?

Great to see Infectious Lass again!

The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!
#6174 08/15/04 10:49 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Jorge Martinez:
I love Infectious Lass...but I wouldn't mind a cool name Virus! But it's all good. As long as the story rocks I really don't mind the old school Lad/Lass. When are the Niño and Niña characters??? wink Stone Niño I guess doesn't have the same ring as Stoney Boy. wink

Jorge
Using the name Virus would just dredge up "Legion on the Run". I certainly don't want to go there.

Dan
#6175 08/15/04 10:55 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
[QB] Gripes:

1. Timber Wolf has not one but 2 HUGE blades piercing his chest, one of which pierces his heart and yet there's no blood and he can still carry on a conversation.

2. Timber Wolf is turning more and more into a Wolverine clone. And YES, I KNOW TW was introduced first BUT NOT THIS Timber Wolf. The original Lone Wolf was just as 2 dimensional, mild-mannered, and milquetoasty as every other male Legionnaire of the silver age. Making him all bestial, complete with claws, heightened senses and healing factor are obvious Wolverine ripoffs. And no, neither the preboot, nor post-boot TW spent any time in the wild.
I agree with both comments. TW acted as though nothing happened to him other than that he was stuck. The other thing I really hate are those stripes in his hair. I think they make him look like he's about 40 years old or so.

12. The art is not up to Dan Jurgens' usual standards imo either.
Maybe this was the problem with T-Wolf's appearance, but I have to say I never liked it from its first showing during the TMK era.

Dan
#6176 08/15/04 11:32 AM
Applicant
Applicant
My bet is that the "offer" to the organ thief involves his penchant for cut and paste without complex medical equipment. Sure he is a nut case, but he may be a fine surgeon.

#6177 08/16/04 05:39 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, so here's my "off the cuff" comments on # 37.

The story is still shaping up to be a winner. The plot is moving along briskly, and the tension is mounting as the Legionnaires find themselves cut off from outside help, apart from the cadets, and managing the situation as best they can. In one telling moment, Trudi narrates that just seeing the Legionnaires work calms the crowd down. The Legion's reputation, fortunately, does much of their work for them.

This is also shaping up to be a story that's more about Trudi and the villains than it is about the Legionnaires, per se. The heroes have a lot to do this issue, but we don't learn anything new about them, or even get inside their heads. (It is nice that Gail did remember that Cham is a detective. I'm ashamed to admit that it never occurred to me that Tinya was Arrow's target, not Winema, though it's perfectly obvious in hindsight.) Instead, we learn, through Devil, some of what motivates Arrow, Lantern and Canary. Trudi continues to be inspired by the Legion, even to the point of putting "the story of her career" on hold. But other than that, there's not a lot of character development, just a lot of plot development and some kick-ass action via Karate Kid.

Again, Gail shows she's a master (mistress?) of suspense. We don't know what's happened to Winema, but we fear the worst. We fear, momentarily, the worst for Timber Wolf. We learn, in the cliffhanger, Devil's plans for the Legion. While I don't believe for an instant that she will actually pull it off, it ought to be fun to watch her try.

The story contained a really good turn for the cadets, including the surprise appearance of Infectious Lass (I know Lash is happy about that!). This was really a surprise, on top of the appearance of Nightwind last issue and in this one. But unlike other recent appearances of past favorite characters, these two actually have something to contribute to the story. Drura's contribution was particularly a lot of fun.

Some things I didn't care or could have been improved:

Umbra, despite being prominently featured on the cover, is nowhere to be seen. Not even a cameo.

Timber Wolf as Wolverine. A lot has been said about Wolvie being a TW clone, but TW never before had a healing factor. That combined with his enhanced power of scent (another recent change in the character) has put the shoe on the other paw.

Violet grows and even shrinks in this issue, but still has the personality of a doorknob.

"We're Legion cadets, sir. We never listen to authority." OK, it's a great line, but it comes out of left field. It has no basis in how the cadets have previously been depicted, pre- or postboot. It hints at stories that have never been (and likely never will be) told.

As for the art, it continues to be impressive and, ironically, understated. Jurgens and Smith are not as flashy as some artists we've had recently, but they tell the story clearly and keep it moving with dramatic angles and layouts. This is a more traditional form of comic book art, I think, than Coipel or Batista, and I don't mind that at all.

So, I'm still digging this, and can't wait to see how its resolved next issue.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#6178 08/17/04 01:08 PM
Leader
Leader
I love when punks get punked so when Arrow and Lantern started tossing their cookies, I was quite a happy monkey eater. Random thoughtL seeing them get sick reminds of that scene in "Stand By Me" at the pie eating contest with the chain reaction puking. I'm diggin' the multiple story lines and can't wait for them to play out in the last issue (possibly in some interwined fashion?!?)! Can we get a coupla more Gail issues during this painful gap till the next series starts?

#6179 08/17/04 11:01 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Hi Gail,

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about what ever it is you want to share with us!! smile Perhaps more good news of you maybe filling in from time to time to give Mark a couple of months to get inspired?? Hope so. smile

As for this whole debate about Timber Wolf and Wolverine. Yup, TW was first but how do any of us know if he was MEANT to be more like how Wolverine was written?? DC might have thought of him being to 'dangerous' back in the 60/70's when Dave first got him in his head to create!! Many of Dave's ideas translated over to Marvel when DC didn't come through all those decades back, so I think it would be better to let the main man comment on this.

Personally, for me, I don't care for the current incarnation of TW, I miss his old look from the Cockrum/Grell days with the cool cut and the neat looking eyes. This long haired more feral look is just a little TOO "Marvel" looking for me!! HEY, speaking of cool hair. Interesting that everyone seems to think that there is some connection to TW and Wolvie but notice that TW had that cool hair cut first, 30th Century version. Wolvies hair does that too but more messy "Marvel" styl!! laugh

Just some thoughts!

ChameleonBoy

---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---
#6180 08/19/04 02:33 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by MLLASH:
And she looked wonderful! *dreamy sigh*

After it all sank in, I'm not lying, I had a tear in my eye...
This post left me smiling ear to ear, b/c I know it's true. Like Rokk Steady, Lash's love for Drura was so damn infectuous that I couldn't help but love her too. I'm glad she's back! Thanks Gail smile

Of course you guys missed the other great return of this issue: NARDO is in this issue!!!! Or at least someone who looks a hell of a lot like him! Check out Karate Kid beating up all the prisoners and see who he's punching in the face on the left side of the page. Go ahead, check. Tell me that isn't Nardo!

This is the most enjoyable Legion story in a long time. Like I said, it feels like 1983 to me, and that's the best compliment I could ever give.

-Val kicking ass and reminding me of how he first gave Superboy a run for his money in his first issue.

-Tinya looks lively all issue. I really liked the scene with her and Jo, it's about time they were shown acting tenderly to each other.

-Chuck and Gear being proactive, Brainy taking over, and Cham coming up with his plan with Drura.

-The group shot on the other planet, and seeing Superboy and Mon in space.

I wish Gail could stay on for a few YEARS. This is the Legion I want.

#6181 08/20/04 03:00 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I wish Gail could stay on for a few YEARS. This is the Legion I want.
Amen! Ditto! This is what the Legion should be like. Gail, I really hope that you get another run at some point. If they ever offer you the series (or a spin-off!!!!) Please take it! laugh

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#6182 08/20/04 04:43 PM
Deputy
Deputy
(Haven't noticed anyone else asking this question yet)

Gail: What is that convict saying on page 15, panel 4 ?

The font is similar to the one on "Mr. Mind's Venusian Decoder Card", but not identical. frown

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#6183 08/22/04 07:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thank you, Gail for bringing Nightwind and Infectious Lass back! These are two ladies whom I've always felt should have been inducted as Legionnaires a long, long time ago. And you've just made me gain a lot of respect for Dr. Gym'll and Trudi.

I love how Chuck has to take the reins for now, Cham's intelligence coming into play, Tinya being portrayed as a strong woman who doesn't need to be joined at the hip with her husband, Vi doing something and not just hanging around in the background, Jo and Brin being pretty smart themselves and Val having a bigger role than just beating people up.

This arc rocks!

#6184 08/23/04 04:35 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I am really enjoying this story arc. The plot is interesting and the artwork is great. Gail seems to know what she is doing.

As an aside, I am kinda confused as to the future of the LSH. I read a magazine (SFX) that said that they were cancelling the Legion after #38. If all this has been discussed before I apologize but I missed the memo. I have heard mention of a reboot. So what's the situation?

Go get'em Jan
#6185 08/23/04 06:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
'K, here's the short-form as far as I know...

a) LEGION 38 is to be the final issue of the current series.

b) Then we are having the TEEN TITANS/LEGION 1-shot, which will supposedly serve as a springboard for the new series.

c) The new series-- LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES-- launches in December written by MARK WAID and drawn by BARRY KITSON. Each issue is 30 pages of story/art, which I think is way groovy.

Waid has called it a re-imagining", not a reboot. Theories about what this is differ. My personal theory is that Waid will maintain current continuity, but use the TITANS/LEGION 1-shot to "pick & choose" what he wants to keep around and what he wants changed. For instance, I could see him using the 1-shot to retcon Orando back into a planet of humanoids which would retcon Snakejectra back into Princess Projectra.

Just a theory though.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#6186 08/24/04 01:15 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
That sounds like the most probable of all things to happen.

It actually sounds like the best too IMO.

#6187 08/24/04 07:13 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Thank you for the information. Would it be too much for me to hope that Jan will be back (none of this Jarth nonsense)? Hey, it could happen!!

Go get'em Jan
#6188 08/24/04 07:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
There's a lot of us rooting for JARTH to be retconned, and for both Garth and Jan to be back to normal...

it doesn't have to retcon out the Progenitor tale either... just bring in a Jan from HYPERTIME... preferably one wearing a blue costume with a big, green arrow pointing upwards on it...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#6189 08/25/04 04:36 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Oh my gosh, someone else who loves that blue costume!! I think Jan looked the best in the 70s. Cockrum, Grell and Abel.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Jan and Garth come back.

Go get'em Jan
#6190 08/25/04 05:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
ProtyII

#6191 08/26/04 06:21 PM
A
Active
Active
A
I'll take Jan back in any costume he wishes to wear (except for Lightning Lad's).

I think it would be interesting if the healing factor referred to were just a pill that all of the legionnaires took to increase their healing ability. It is the future, after all.

#6192 08/26/04 06:43 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by MLLASH:
it doesn't have to retcon out the Progenitor tale either... just bring in a Jan from HYPERTIME... preferably one wearing a blue costume with a big, green arrow pointing upwards on it...
You bring someone from another Hypertimeline, they have to go back PDQ, or you end everything in the whole Hypermultiverse

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,205
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Awesomegirl
Awesomegirl
Naboo
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star