Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Some Suite Talk for Mr. Frances Manapul
#63449 07/05/08 08:35 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I love the glimpses of the Legionnaires' apartments (with living rooms, you can hardly call them dorm rooms anymore...).

Are the details written into the script, or are they touches you've coming up with on your own?

Either way, they've been very entertaining- supplying much-needed characterization into the book.

It would've been nice to see a holo of Colossal Boy's brother (maybe with a name scrawled across it or something-- we need to know what to call him instead of Big Gay Al) or other family memento sort of stuff in any of their rooms.

I hope there's more coming up! I'm looking forward to seeing Cham's room. And Shady's.

Which one was the most fun to play interior designer for?

Are the windows actually windows or some sort of holo-effect?

So far, I've liked Gim's and Jan's the best. These two have been the most character-revelatory.

Anyway, I wanted you to know that your hard work in this area has been much appreciated, at least by me. I've made much of them in CALLING THE ROLL.

Re: Some Suite Talk for Mr. Frances Manapul
#63450 07/05/08 07:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1000 years, 2000 years,...

I just don't think teenaged boys will get anymore imaginative.

Let's see what's under those mattresses!

#63451 07/05/08 10:24 PM
S
Active
Active
S
If Francis felt like saving himself some work, he could legitimately use a totally black panel to represent Shady's room...

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#63452 07/07/08 11:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This proves my long-believed theory that LSH fans would have enjoyed an all-Shirley issue, with each page showing her cleaning a different members' room. LOTS of stuff could have been learned about each character.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#63453 07/08/08 07:50 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Yeah. I even liked the Giffen story from the last 'boot where Conner Superboy and Chuck Tane (I think) were doing scut work in the bowels of the Legion H.Q. Remember when they heard Cos and Q.K. going at it? You discover the neatest things working around the clubhouse!

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#63454 07/09/08 11:24 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Uh, huh... ignoring minor art inconsistencies that are a staple of commercial comic franchises... I commend Francis Manapul for knowing how to draw teenagers LIKE teenagers! There certainly is a new age of strokes in comics, one that, I admit, isolates itself from the old times of Neal, Grell, Giffen, or Pérez. Very manga-influenced, one that can be appreciated by a lot more. Congrats to Manapul for pulling that off.

This issue had a nice Cribs niché, but I'm dying for the Lo3W tie-in. The summer's not ending fast enough, ahahah...

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.
#63455 07/12/08 11:37 AM
Applicant
Applicant
I'd support an "at home issue," one in which no major battles happened, but we got better glimpses of everybody's personal lives. There've been a lot of nice issues like that. I remember when Karate Kid spent a lot of pages on why Phantom Girl wouldn't be his. It was really a nice insight to both their characters - visually and emotionally.

#63456 07/12/08 12:04 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Heh, that was something Waid touched upon in the early issues. And various issues in Stern/McCraw's Legionnaires.

Back to the art... just one extra note to commend Francis' excellent use of hysterics - one that is prevalent in Legion comics. In the Muppet-style genre of human anatomy, he pulled their expressions off much better than Moy or Sprouse could ever do.

And let's see some consistency with the art in the upcoming issues. How did Ultra Boy get a Legion belt an issue before those "Carmine's" uniforms arrived?

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

#63457 07/13/08 02:07 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Mediocre Boy:
Yeah. I even liked the Giffen story from the last 'boot where Conner Superboy and Chuck Tane (I think) were doing scut work in the bowels of the Legion H.Q. Remember when they heard Cos and Q.K. going at it? You discover the neatest things working around the clubhouse!
Yeah, that was a DnA hommage to Keith Giffen, in my opinion. The writing was very close to the stye of JLE, with Sue Digby (before Meltzer) handling the Embassy.

#63458 07/14/08 12:21 PM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I love the glimpses of the Legionnaires' apartments (with living rooms, you can hardly call them dorm rooms anymore...).

Are the details written into the script, or are they touches you've coming up with on your own?

Either way, they've been very entertaining- supplying much-needed characterization into the book.

It would've been nice to see a holo of Colossal Boy's brother (maybe with a name scrawled across it or something-- we need to know what to call him instead of Big Gay Al) or other family memento sort of stuff in any of their rooms.

I hope there's more coming up! I'm looking forward to seeing Cham's room. And Shady's.

Which one was the most fun to play interior designer for?

Are the windows actually windows or some sort of holo-effect?

So far, I've liked Gim's and Jan's the best. These two have been the most character-revelatory.

Anyway, I wanted you to know that your hard work in this area has been much appreciated, at least by me. I've made much of them in CALLING THE ROLL.
Thanks for the compliments. Jim did write into the scripts the specifics of their bedrooms. Jims scripts are very very detailed and he throws in a lot of background stuff he asks me to put in many of which helps expand the story.

#63459 07/14/08 12:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Are there any other subtle visual details Shooter put in the scripts to the issues that have already seen print, or even a few you may have added yourself, that you'd care to share with us, Francis? (whether room-related or otherwise)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#63460 07/15/08 12:17 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Btw Francis, are you still going to be in Vancouver on August? I'd love to meet up by the VAG.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star