Roll Call
0 members (), 13 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/18/24 11:14 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/18/24 10:21 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/18/24 10:18 PM
What I found today at my LCS!
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/18/24 07:27 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/18/24 07:19 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/18/24 07:18 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/18/24 06:59 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/18/24 10:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hopes for New Legion
#63787 09/17/04 07:39 PM
MYG Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
I've mentioned this time and time again. I have a huge problem with altering characters established long ago. I'm not referring to the metamorphosis of a character (eg:Lightning Lass/Light Lass). I mean reintroducing a character as someone totally redesigned, yet recognizable by long time fans (eg:Sensor Snake). I truly believe that this practice is not only disrespectful to the character and his or her long time fans, it's also disrespectful to the original creators of said characters. I have no problem with introducing new characters. As a matter of fact it's a welcomed expectation in the "world of the Legion". But please don't insult us by introducing a talking snake,who comes from a world of snakes and raccoons, who happens to have a very similar background to our beloved and beautiful Princess/Queen Projectra from Orando!!! I would have had no problem with the concept...up until we realized "this" was as close as we were going to have to getting that beautiful platinum blonde from the Medieval world. In contrast to what I just said, I'd have no problem with the re imaged concept of Gim Allon. Supposedly he's going to be from a world of giants...etc. Bottom line, we're getting Gim back! Another poster speculated that the reason other continuities existed is because the Time Trapper has been playing "games" from the beginning. This would be great. It would reemphasize the fact that everything that happened before, everyone that ever existed in the 30th/31st century truly did. It opens the door for so many possibilities. It allows us to believe that all that was can really be so again someday. I'm actually excited about the "new Legion". It's been a long time since I've felt like more than just a loyal fan (24 yrs.) who was just going to accept ANOTHER reboot. DC knows fans like us will just keep coming back, time and time again. This is why there is no need to cater to "that" loyal fan base. They continue to reinvent for new readers at the expense of long time fans. Sorry...I keep doing that (venting/rambling) every time there is another reeboot (or whatever). Anyway, I have very positive hopes for the upcoming new Legion!!!

Long Live the Legion!!!
Re: Hopes for New Legion
#63788 09/17/04 08:49 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
MYG, a word of advice: Use paragraphs. They're easier on the eyes than a solid block of text.

I'm glad you have positive feelings about the reboot. I'm guardedly optimistic myself. I do think that throwing out the Legion babies with the Hykraian bathwater is as disrespectful to the characters as rebooting them as snakes, but I'm willing to give the new version a chance.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#63789 09/17/04 10:08 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I hope the married couples will stay married and
I'd really like to see the Legion's children from TMK.

I hope Sneckie will be back to her lovable world weary Queen of Orando self.

I hope Nemisis Kid joins and he and Val instantly hate each other.

#63790 09/17/04 10:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My hopes:
-- WILDFIRE!!
- good story
- interesting conflicts
- unexpected storylines
- characterization
- WILDFIRE!!!!!
- good art
- continuity in terms of the personalitites of the characters we already know and love!
-- WILDFIRE!!!!!!!!!!

#63791 09/18/04 07:39 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Waid said something about shying away from things that happened previously, but I hope WaK at least touch upon the romances/friendships that went before. It would be frustrating to older fans if Star Boy and Dream Girl just ignored each other, for example.

Some other wishes:

-- Reintroduce Lyle and Luornu with three (not two) bodies.
-- Resist the temptation to make Element Lad too much of a mystical oddball. The new costume is strange enough.
-- Restore Lightning Lad's robot arm and/or his ability to assume energy form.
-- Reintroduce Mekt as a villain and leader of a reimagined LSV (bring back Saturn Queen, too).
-- Restore Cosmic Boy's classic (yutz) personality and ditch the inspiration leader shtick. Bring back Lydda as his groupie girlfriend.
-- Don't make Saturn Girl too nice, i.e., boring.
-- Ditch the Projectra/Karate Kid attraction. I never liked that union.
-- Don't kill any core Legionnaires, except maybe Karate Kid. Recruit a couple of newbies or less beloved (e.g., TMK) characters as cannon fodder instead.

#63792 09/18/04 10:54 AM
Reservist
Reservist
My hopes for the new LSH:

1. First and foremost, I don't want the team pairing off into the same couples that they always have. If it's a reboot, and everything's supposed to be different...let it be different. Let Imra be Rokk's woman this time around, instead of Garth's. Heck, pair her off with Chameleon, no one'd see *that* one coming...

Also in the romance area, let's see some blatant same-sex couples! If we have to revisit the same old couples, let's see Ayla and Vi smooch every now and then...or Brainy and Lyle, if the PostBoot was any indication! laugh

2. The team should have some non-human members, like Tellus, Gates, etc. If this is the future, with lots of wacky aliens, I wanna see wacky aliens on the team!

3. A founder dies within the first two years. I don't like the idea of "safe" characters. If there's no danger of them dying, there's no point in reading because we know they'll be okay no matter what happens. It's why I can't get into titles like Superman. No matter how well-written, you know Superman's gonna make it out alive (even his "death" was only temporary). While we're on the subject of death, death should be permanent. No slipping Garth back in by having him possess the remains of Jan's body. It cheapened the emotional impact of his death by having him pop back up like that.

4. The book shouldn't stick to "The Golden Age of Adventures". Use some of the PostBoot characters as regulars as well...like Xs and Gates. Also, don't stick to "classic" characters. Bring in the non-official Legionnaires like Lydda and Drura and Tenzil. Mix it up, now's the time to change it all around! wink

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
#63793 09/18/04 12:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I hope WaK are faithful to the Legion concept.

I think they're on the right track already, what with Projectra and Sun Boy on the team. It's about frelling time.

Oh, and I hope for sales so skyhigh that spinoffs are called for!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#63794 09/19/04 06:04 AM
Reservist
Reservist
I hope it doesn't suck and they tell consistently interesting and well-told stories. I'm pretty low maintanence. wink

#63795 09/19/04 11:03 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I hope they bring Kal-El back. It wouldn't necessarily do any damage to the current continuity. Kal-El could be Superboy when he's with the Legion, but when he goes back to Smallville, he would forget about it (as he did historically) and just be Clark Kent. The Legion could be his training ground for becoming Superman. It would explain how Kal-El learned to use his powers. (Someone may have suggested this before, and if so, my apologies for taking your idea and holding it out as my own).

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,449
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star