Roll Call
0 members (), 81 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legion Fandom must choose: a possible scenario
#479 05/21/08 11:57 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
We all know its 95% sure we all won't get exactly what it is we want from DC. So I'm curious to where people would stand if DC presented us with following option:

Re: Legion Fandom must choose: a possible scenario
#480 05/21/08 11:58 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
My goal is for people who just want to know not having to read everyone's reasons why laugh

However, feel free to give those reasons, as some of us (re: me) will probably read them.

#481 05/21/08 12:16 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Is there an option to either;

A) Continue the post-threeboot Shooterboot (which seems quite different than Waid's threeboot interpretation),
or
B) Forget everything that has happened post, oh, let's say GDS/Universo Project-era (the issue where Sensor Girl becomes a member would be a great cut-off point, IMO) and just continue from there? Sort of an 'unboot?'

'Cause the Geoff Johns Action Legion is about as far from the post-Crisis team as the threeboot ever got, IMO.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#482 05/21/08 12:41 PM
Active
Active
See I have the same problem, I need to see more of the Action Legion before I say chuck the others go with that. There are too many "signs" that make me weary of the Action Legion. Like Set says (or I think is saying, do you mean post-Crisis or pre-Crisis?) the Action Legion has already shown major differences from the original Legion.

Now some might argue they are cosmetic differences, but to me the thematic differences do exist between the original Legion and the Action Legion, just like they exist between the original Legion, ZH Legion, 3boot, and yes, the 5YG Legion (although I think many would contest that, I stand by it).

So really, I need to wait and see. I was excited for the Action Legion until the last issue of Action comics (with Lightning Lad and Batman) then all the little things that I ignored earlier came creeping to the forefront. Legion of 3 Worlds will be the big test for me if I accept the 'Action' Legion as the original Legion or if they just become another variation of the team.

Long Live the Legion!
#483 05/21/08 12:47 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I don't want to choose, but I do want to continue reading Legion.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#484 05/21/08 01:01 PM
Applicant
Applicant
I'm a lifer for the LSH as well. I'll grumble if/when DC changes it again, but I won't stop buying it.

The Original Universe, a fanzine about comics.

More information at http://fanselfpub.wetpaint.com
#485 05/21/08 01:51 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I voted "Quit buying in the mainstream DCU".

All-Star Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, however, would not be set in the mainstream DCU.

#486 05/21/08 02:45 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I limited the options on purpose because these are the ones I can see DC considering. Anything else, no matter how much I or the rest of us might want them, just don't seem to be something DC would do (as much as we think they're not thinking this through).

As in if your voting dollar mattered, where would you put it if DC gave you these choices. RE: you don't get to choose what your choice sare, just which choice you choose.

#487 05/21/08 02:48 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Another way to put it is I didn't want to make it easy for any fan. Because experience tells me DC won't. sigh choke laugh

#488 05/21/08 05:21 PM
Active
Active
'Cause the Geoff Johns Action Legion is about as far from the post-Crisis team as the threeboot ever got
Geff Johns view of the Legion may not be fully 100% with Paul Levitz but Levitz wasn't 100% with Bates or Shooter etc. Every writer adds his own flavor but by starting from the same basis as the previous and building on it.

Like 5YL did but without the retconning that Giffen did (hopefully).

A young Jenni Ognats or Gates joining as a new member would make it even better

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#489 05/21/08 07:22 PM
Active
Active
i voted for the threeboot

just cause they bring back the old legion doesn't mean its always going to be good two years down the line they could all be clones...again

i feel that with the three boot there is only so much a bad writer can do when there world is so new

but if i had a choice i ask dc to do a new and old legion book

or have the the old come show up and help the new legion

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#490 05/21/08 07:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I chose what's so far the least popular option, and likely to remain so.

I chose the post-Simone reboot setting solely because the characters I most enjoy are actually on the roll.

At least they're all on the roll if the creators follow the path DNA would've chosen and seperate the merged Livewire/Element Lad being into its component parts.

The Waid/Shooter boot E-Lad isn't recognizeable to me in any way, and I don't mean his costume- which I actually kind of like.

Haven't yet seen Johns' interpretation of Jan-- he hasn't been mentioned in any press, either.
The approach to this character could make all the difference, for me.

Reboot Lyle outclasses Jacques or team-baby from the current version. By a mile.

Johns' LSH gets the nod for Sun Boy, though the Waid/Shooter version is one I might like- if there were any stories about him. Unaccountably absent in the Reboot.

Dream Girl? Dead in the Waid version-- intriguing in the Johns' LSH. Dreamer's viable. No clear choice here.

Shadow Lass? I'm an Umbra fan- though the Johns version was fun to see, and the current one is entertaining. Umbra's costume pushes her over for me.

Brainiac 5? Something else else was off in the Johns' version, though he was an improvement over Vril Dox in the 31st century. Shooter's mitigating that, but it's taking time. Reboot gets my vote.

Cosmic Boy? John's LSH Rokk seemed too old... he's time-hopping and insufferable in the current continuity. Reboot Rokk was the most inspiring, IMO.

Those are my favorite characters... in addition, reboot has Gates and an Infectious Lass that's heroic and in the right time. And a Nightwind.

Lots to recommend in each version, and I do have characters or characterizations that I quite like in each, but reboot gets my nod.

Also, even after being Damned, Blighted and Lost, the reboot 31st century is the most optimistic of the three possibile settings. I miss an unabashedly wonder-evoking setting.

Reboot first choice, Johns LSH second, Waid/Shooter third.

A great take on Element Lad and a more optimistic setting would put the Johns/Action LSH over the top. I do find the Superman/LSH link compelling and important to the DCU. Something else else worthy of exploration.

#491 05/21/08 08:42 PM
C
Applicant
Applicant
C
I never stopped buying through all of the other Crises, reboots and 5 year gaps, why would I stop now?

However, my heart will always be with the classic, Pre-Crisis version, which I consider to be the same characters up through the first year plus of TMK. As such, the John's version is closest to that, or at least they have the same history as my favorites.

Craigopher

Long Live the Legion!
#492 05/21/08 11:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I went with the 3boot. Not because it is my favorite version of the Legion, but because of its potential. It is still a pretty clean slate. There is a core that can be built on.

Reboot - I would have preferred that it hadn't ended in the first place. There was still potential, but it seems like a step backward now.

Action Legion - My least favorite option. In spite of claims to the contrary it is another reboot, and one that just isn't needed. You really can't go home again. The original Legion's story was told, and was told well, for the most part. This series just seems to disrespect that fact. That is was solicited as the return of the orginal Legion seems like false advertisement to me.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#493 05/22/08 02:46 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I REALLY don't like Shadow Lass's costume in the Action Legion. Then it pretty much comes down to a coin toss between the other two. I'd buy any of those three, however - and I have a feeling that any of those three would be better than some combo Legion that we might be getting after the Crisis du jour shakes out.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#494 05/22/08 05:05 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My preferences in priority order:

(1) I'd like an occasional out of continuity limited run series --

Darwyn Cooke's LSH -- New Frontier;

An Alex Ross painted LSH, analogous to Justice;

Waid and Kitson's LSH: Year One.

A Wildstorm LSH limited series.

(2) A mainstream DCU LSH title that has very limited contact with the mainstream DCU (similar to the extent the animated series is connected to the 20th/21st century).

Shooter/John/Simone/Waid/Cobalt Kid -- I don't care so much who writes it as long as it is fun to read. I would like the setting to be a little less dystopic than the Waid version -- or at least have more interesting dystopia than the age wars.

(3) LSH in the 31st century, based on the toonverse as a Johnny DC title

(4) a dozen eggs, 6 lemons, powdered sugar, 2% milk, a puppy and a new car.

Is that too much to ask for?

Another major reboot may be my dropping off point for the Legion and comics in general. The Titan/legion crossover that launched the threebot was my gateway to comics after a 15+ year hiatus.

Without the hope of an LSH that I truly enjoy, I could see ending my pull list after I get the last TPBs of Invincible, ExMachina, and Y: the Last Man.

#495 05/22/08 10:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I went with the Action Legion, but I want them to have better hair, especially Polar Boy. smile

#496 05/22/08 11:12 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I went with the Action Legion, but I want them to have better hair, especially Polar Boy. smile
no way i liked polar boys hair

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#497 05/22/08 11:26 AM
T
Active
Active
T
Originally posted by Jerry:
I went with the 3boot. Not because it is my favorite version of the Legion, but because of its potential. It is still a pretty clean slate. There is a core that can be built on.
I made the same choice for the same reason. Picking up on either past continuity, aside from being an admission of failure by DC, wouldn't give many of the good things about those continuities. That is, the late-80s Legion (not that Johns' Legion is exactly that, but...) and the reboot as of 2004 are not the high points of their respective continuities. In each case, their best days were behind them. Both had accumulated complications I don't like. The threeboot has less history; its Legion are still teenagers. Its story remains to be told.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#498 05/22/08 11:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
[b] I went with the Action Legion, but I want them to have better hair, especially Polar Boy. smile
no way i liked polar boys hair[/b]
And that's why they shouldn't keep trying to please Legion fans. wink

Just spouting off.
#499 05/23/08 07:31 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
just cause they bring back the old legion doesn't mean its always going to be good two years down the line they could all be clones...again

i feel that with the three boot there is only so much a bad writer can do when there world is so new
great point. something i think we all need to remember. just b/c YOUR legion comes back after 20 years or 5 years, it doesn't mean that things are going to be great! in fact, they might take something YOU LOVED and make it terrible.

I saw Indiana Jone 4 last night. it was fun, and pretty cool, but you know what? i wish they let it end with "The Last Crusade." i think that the Original and the Reboot are done, we can't do anything about it, let's not go back and try to resuscitate something that is over and done with for the sake of nostalgia and the fact that they were good stories.

good stories then doesn't always = good stories now. is the risk of ruining a legacy of the original legion or the reboot worth it? or would you rather see the 3boot get better?

everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.
#500 05/23/08 09:27 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Just some thoughts:

Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I voted "Quit buying in the mainstream DCU".

All-Star Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes, however, would not be set in the mainstream DCU.
I see this as a very valid response, and probably something more than half of us have considered. If it seemed genuinely possible we could get a Grant Morrisson/Darwyn Cooke All-Star Legion, you better believe I’d have that as an option laugh

Originally posted by Set:
Is there an option to either;

A) Continue the post-threeboot Shooterboot (which seems quite different than Waid's threeboot interpretation)
I’m sure you realized this (as did others), but just wanted to point out that this option is ‘Buying the threeboot Legion’. That option of course implies you’d buy it with Shooter writing or another writing coming on.

Also, I put the Reboot as ‘post-Gail Simone” because if the reboot ever came back, that story would of course be included. I know some readers (Reboot and others) didn’t really enjoy that story as much, so I wanted to clarify.

#501 05/23/08 12:49 PM
Active
Active
I agree with other comments that there are subtle differences detectble between the current "Action" and "pre-boot"...

and I think this is inevitable, and speaks to the fact that this option is somewhat problematic and ill-defined... at exactly what issue from preboot do you say "everything before this happened, but not everything afterward"?

If you want to go pre-CRISIS, then there is some sort of amorphous cutoff from around the time of Supergirl's death..someone suggested the Sensor Girl storyline, whch might be a good choice but does not seem to me to be a sufficiently dramatic divide in continuity....

I would argue, what with a new crisis happening (hence reinforcing the existence of the original) and with LSH of 3 worlds essentially beefing up the notion that Time Trapper has been mucking with them awhile, that Crisis is not a good cut-off. We can go forward with the Pocket universe storyline, etc... all the way at least to the end of the Baxter run....

There, it becomes tough.

The next "change of reality" happened after issue 5 of the TMK Legion, when Mon-el rebooted himself into Valor. But cutting there requires keeping the 12 year gap and the first 3-4 issues....

while the only excuse for cutting after the Baxter run and before issue #1 of the TMK Legion is that the 12 year gap was unpopular with many fans. Or too unfamiliar.

Nevertheless, with insufficient info regarding post 12-year gap LSH existing prior to issue 5, I'd vote for end of Baxter run.

It is unclear (and this is why I think there are so many differences in the "Action" Legion) which exact cutoff point spawns the Action Legion ... they appear to intentionally be sufficiently undefined so as to allow for license to be taken with changes here and there.

"I like stuff that doesn't exist."
#502 05/23/08 06:05 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
I think the exact to define where the pre-boot Legion and Action Legion may differ will depend on Legion of Three Worlds (or at least, I have high hopes they give us at least a rough guideline). I suspect it will all be told 'in-story' too, as to infer its all the same Legion.

#503 05/23/08 06:57 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I picked the Pre-Crisis Legion, with 30 years of History and Characters to draw upon the storylines should be limitless,Just look at what Geoff John's did with a one shot character like Absorbancy Boy and then think of what he could do with the rest of the characters from that 30 years of Legion continuity.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,988
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
Yonkers N.Y
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star