Roll Call
0 members (), 14 Murran Spies, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 41 of 66 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 65 66
Re: Official LSH 3 Worlds Thread #5 out (FINALLY!! - spoilers)
#68885 04/09/09 11:12 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
It may not be good for the Legion, but it certainly could be good for the Legion's sales numbers.

#68886 04/10/09 10:58 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Matthew E:
It may not be good for the Legion, but it certainly could be good for the Legion's sales numbers.
Not even that, if recent relaunches are any indication. In fact, think about it for a moment: Green Lantern becomes the only franchise to see any growth in recent years at DC for a single reason, IMHO: it was left untouched and into the hands of a very tight team of authors completely on their own. Johns had 5 years (!!!) to build his story. This is by far a better explanation to its success than multimega crossovers and "being tied to DC Universe".

#68887 04/11/09 08:30 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Okay, but the Legion has been relatively independent of the rest of DC continuity for so long that there are longtime DC fans - not people who are just Batman fans or Teen Titans fans but who are generally DC fans - who have never read a Legion issue and don't know the first thing about them. So it's possible that this isolation has been holding Legion sales down a bit, and DC is trying to remedy that.

#68888 04/12/09 09:53 AM
T
Active
Active
T
Call me weird if you want, but I don't think that's the solution. Trying to sell the Legion to a slightly larger slice of a small, low-turnover fanbase isn't ambitious enough. I think the Legion has great potential for sales beyond people who think of themselves as superhero fans. This is why I want the Legion less tied to the present DC universe - so it can be marketed to different demographics from other DC titles, like general SF fans or teenage girls.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#68889 04/12/09 10:06 AM
Honorary
Honorary
What Trip said. Slight ties to the DCU (and allusion to the 21 st century "big events" no crossovers), emphasis on the LSH's peripheral nature to interest readership beyond the super hero genre (War, Crime, Sci-fi, Romance Comics, even a bit of Sword and Sorcery, all these genres fit into the title's natural scope).

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true.
#68890 04/12/09 11:04 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:
DC is tying the Legion in to present events... in Johns' DCU, not Morrison's DCU.
are there such things? i think green lanterns, flashes and stuff exist into the DCU besides both johns and morrison...

anyway, nobody, not even DC, said that the legion HAS to be directly connected to the 21st century DCU. it's not like when they did "millennium" and all that crap.
johns and co. are just playing a bit with the legion context, so when you see the 31st century you can recognize it immediately as the DCU. it's not so far to what they did with the DCU past by retconning the JSA in it.

i don't see as any event could modify the legion future in any way. first, because we all know that every change is going to be erased sooner or later with a back to the basics of sorts.
in second way, even if until now the legion continuity has been erased in connection with two major cross-overs, it wasn't like the story itself asked for those reboots. DC decided to reboot the legion in the first place, and used those stories as a tool to do it.
i hope DC learned its lesson now!

#68891 04/12/09 01:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Another nod to what Trip wrote, though still puzzling over the teenage girls thing. Even so, easy enough. Put a vampire in it.

Anyhow, if this is meant as an attempt to attract mainstream DC fans to legion I don't get it. Nothing in these issues has highlighted the Legion in anyway to make them interesting to anyone but an "already fan," particularly those that see the legion of their youth in John's version. That would seem to shut out, not invite the younger DC fans.

#68892 04/14/09 06:33 PM
Leader
Leader
"Don't miss this issue as lightning strikes again in the DC Universe! The Crisis of the 31st century continues as a great hero falls and another returns to help Superman and the Legion combat the murderous Superboy-Prime! Meanwhile, the Time Trapper makes his move against the three Legion founders, Polar Boy's bizarre mission comes to an end and Superman makes a shocking discovery that will redefine the terms of this war."

I'm really hoping Sodam Yutz is the hero who falls and Rond is the one who returns. Except if he does, I imagine it will be as a glowing green energy being. Yuck. Been there, done that.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#68893 04/14/09 08:25 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
Since this is being posted everywhere but here...

Here are the images that Geoff Johns is leaking on his boards here and here .

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
Not really, but just in case -

click to enlarge

[Linked Image]

#68894 04/16/09 03:18 PM
Active
Active
Lo3W #4 has been moved forward to April 29 according to the DC website

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#68895 04/18/09 03:09 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Lo3W #4 has been moved forward to April 29 according to the DC website
And Geoff johns has confirmed it over at Comic Bloc:

April 29th!

It's printing as you read this.

Geoff

Paul Newell
Titan President
#68896 04/18/09 08:49 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Hee hee. Garth's retro-grunge hair is so adorable. Does he wear flannel shirts and wool leggings off-duty, too?

[Sorry. Just having another NW-In-The-Nineties flashback. Don't mind me.]

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#68897 04/18/09 08:55 AM
T
Active
Active
T
Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:
[b]DC is tying the Legion in to present events... in Johns' DCU, not Morrison's DCU.
are there such things? i think green lanterns, flashes and stuff exist into the DCU besides both johns and morrison...[/b]
Yes, but what I meant is that there isn't much coordination between writers these days. Final Crisis was Morrison's story. Tie-ins not written by him (like Legion of Three Worlds) had little to do with it, but other comics by him not advertised as tie-ins were closely connected.

In Legion of Three Worlds, the only present-day characters and plotlines Johns is using are ones he's already written about. There's little use of a shared universe here. That's what I meant.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
#68898 04/21/09 02:41 PM
Active
Active
any one think june for 5 is a lie?

oh now that they have done this one.. and clearly the legion fans aren't happy i think we should demand a second legion of three worlds

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#68899 04/21/09 03:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by cleome:
Hee hee. Garth's retro-grunge hair is so adorable. Does he wear flannel shirts and wool leggings off-duty, too?

[Sorry. Just having another NW-In-The-Nineties flashback. Don't mind me.]
Well that's how I write him, anyway.

Now then. Thank God. Now maybe I can stop listening to complaining about how late this has been, No Offense. At least, until they tear through that and start waiting for 5.

#68900 04/21/09 07:20 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Anyone bemused by Johns's characterization of Lightning Lad? I think I figured out what's going on with that!

#68901 04/21/09 07:27 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
any one think june for 5 is a lie?

oh now that they have done this one.. and clearly the legion fans aren't happy i think we should demand a second legion of three worlds
I'm happy. Just sayin'

#68902 04/21/09 10:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Anyone bemused by Johns's characterization of Lightning Lad? I think I figured out what's going on with that!
Well I kinda rationalized it in the Personalities of Legionnaires topic.

"Lightning Lad: The most honest, and emotional, of the three founders, wearing his heart on his sleeve. His life and his thoughts are an open book. Garth is the one who is more willing to smile, to laugh, to get angry. He's been getting angry a lot lately. The once sensitive, stay-at-home dad has become the Legion's new hothead. And why shouldn't he? His friends and his family are being persecuted, forced undeground. Their ideals are being called old-fashioned, and Garth himself is starting to question them. He hasn't seen his son in months, and everything he and the Legion have tried to do is being torn down by a group of psycho rejects with bad haircuts. What would you expect in this situation from the guy who wears his heart on his sleeve?"

#68903 04/22/09 06:43 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
It's a valiant effort, but I just can't reconcile the upright figure who'd chew out Wildfire for disrupting a meeting with the unshaven greaseball crouching on a bench in Action Comics muttering about how he hates cops. Makes much more sense to me that they're different people.

#68904 04/22/09 06:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well would it help to at least know it's not Proty?

#68905 04/22/09 08:13 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I know this is going off-topic, but hey, we're sitting around waiting FOREVER for the latest issue, so why not? I just read your latest Abstract and think its pretty damn cool! If it is intentional, its brillant, and if not, its yet another way comic books and their continuity kind of form their own concscious in the way Grant Morrison always describes.

I also linked to your Calamity King article from almost two years back which I never read. That's a pretty damn cool line of thinking too! Great job, Matthew for noticing that reference to Calamity King just when DC was kind of pusing the 5YL to the side.

#68906 04/22/09 08:46 AM
T
Active
Active
T
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Another nod to what Trip wrote, though still puzzling over the teenage girls thing. Even so, easy enough. Put a vampire in it.
I was thinking about how the Legion wasn't designed to appeal to the demographics of current comic readers. But in the Silver Age, it - like most comics - was aimed at boys. The Legion has gained a reputation for female inclusiveness, and female comic readers tend to prefer team books. Then I got to thinking, there's a big market out there that's more likely to read Japanese than American. And to me, the Legion seems to be one of the few "mainstream" American comics that could capture that audience. As usual, I ran into the idea somewhere on the 'net and can't recall where.

I'm not sure exactly how yet. I think they have tried. The early reboot, with its "Archie" approach, (claimed) manga influence, female-driven storylines and even overt fairy-tale influence rarely seen since the Silver Age, seems to have been at least partly aimed at pre-teen girls. Wasn't too successful at it.

They key thing is to manage more than just a core demographic. That's a big part of why the big American comic companies don't sell so well anymore: they don't bother with non-core demographics.

#68907 04/22/09 10:22 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Sarcasm Kid: Of course! That's my point!

Cobalt Kid: Thanks!

#68908 04/22/09 01:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ah. Was I over-analyzing?

(And I wouldn't exactly call him a "greasball". At least he doesn't run around with his shirt off and grope the female Legionnaires, like a certain other grungy superhero)

#68909 04/23/09 09:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

I'm not sure exactly how yet. I think they have tried. The early reboot, with its "Archie" approach, (claimed) manga influence, female-driven storylines and even overt fairy-tale influence rarely seen since the Silver Age, seems to have been at least partly aimed at pre-teen girls. Wasn't too successful at it.
Unfortunately it's not a "Build it, They will come" scenario. I'm not sure if the Reboot made the conscious effort to write to that demographic or not, but DC sure as heck didn't market it to them. They could have written the most potent hybrid of Twilight, Manga, and whatever else is irresistable to the young female set, but why would that audience even pick up a DC comic called "Legion of Super-Heroes" in the first place? You might as well have etched it under rock somewhere in Nepal and have had an equal chance of it's target audience finding it.

Page 41 of 66 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 65 66

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,939
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
stile86
stile86
Melbourne Australia
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star