Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 05:00 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20
Re: UPDATE (12/20): Legion of Super-Heroes #1-- SOLICITATION! SPOILERS!
#70450 09/15/04 06:15 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Yellowborg:
[Linked Image]

I feel like the guy in Mall Rats, if I unfocus my vision and look at the pic the right way should I see a sailboat?
Looks like a smashed-up L* logo to me,

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70451 09/15/04 06:23 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was just being silly. That's actually a pretty cool graphic, splice a shattered Time Trapper into it and it would made a hell of a cover for Zero Hour.

#70452 09/15/04 07:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Reboot:
If it was Image's "Regiment of Parahumans" I might give it a chance. But it's replacing "my" Legion, so it doesn't get it.]
Well, all I can say is thank goodness Gary and Scott didn't feel like you when THEIR Legion got rebooted. Otherwise, there wouldn't even BE a Legion World for you to have been posting on this year smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#70453 09/15/04 07:53 PM
I
Applicant
Applicant
I
I am thrilled that Mark Waid will be handling the writing. He'll never let the Legion stray too far from the one I love. I've been a fan since 1970 and own virtually every Legion appearance, as well as nearly every super-pet appearance, including Krypto. The Legion & the JSA are the two books/teams that really bring out the fan-boy in me.
I welcome the return of the Adventure-era Legion en toto, despite the all-humanoid white-boy (& girl) appearance. How wonderful that there will be a reasonable explanation for this, opening the group up to more diversity. Personally, it is my strong desire to see EVERY legionnaire of valuie returned, including Chuck & Tenzil as active members. I've long thought Bouncing Boy could be a combo of Elastic Lad with the trademark bounce of the original Chuck (maybe even some extra durability or something thrown in). Similarly, Calorie Queen really opened up the possibility to expand on Tenzil's power. Of course, I want to see the 70's-80's crew, including Tyroc & Blok, thrown in. Even the Legion subs are great. Tellus is okay. Kono was pretty cool. Computo/Danielle was a welcome addition. Finally, XS, Kid Quantum II and Gates have become classics. Hey, weren't we promised a LEGION!! I remember the days of the 25-member limit, and I hated it. Now, if you throw in Superboy & Supergirl, I'll buy multiple copies (for real).
You know, reading Barry's posts & knowing Mark, I trust I'm going to love this. Hey, maybe we'll even see a cool version of the super-pets, including Krypto. I'm getting chills.
Thanks, guys, for the promise of having my absolute favorite characters reinterpreted in a way that's fun, exciting, and true to the vision that inspired me as a child.

#70454 09/15/04 08:05 PM
Deputy
Deputy
love WonderGirlII

#70455 09/15/04 09:53 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Originally posted by Pex the Unalive:
To me, the ReBoot era is MY Legion. The one that brought me to the party. I'm not thrilled that it's being thrown away, because honestly, it had a lot of potential left in it.
I agree, although as one who came on board only a couple of years before the last major reboot, I've been through this before.

But your list of plot danglers also really sums up why The Legion failed. DnA themselves completely neglected many of those plots for way too long in favor of the rather anemic Dream Crime and Foundations arcs. In at least one case, they didn't know where they were going at all (Jarth). That's not good writing, and to me it filtered through to the rest of the book, making the last year's worth of The Legion much less compelling than any of DnA's work on the LSH prior.

Mark's FF title is the only FF on my pull list.
It's just messed-up that you can actually say that. So many other possible characters out there and yet Marvel insists on doing multiple versions of every A-list or B-list franchise...(But I suppose it's better than their previous plan to have just one FF title WITHOUT Waid)

-- Still here to help.
#70456 09/15/04 10:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
First off the ending of DnA's excellent Legion is why many are upset including myself. Something else else I liked very much is done. I am also a huge Batista fan (got a fan letter published in his Spaceknights mini!). "Get over it" isn't the nicest way for me to get over it. smile

I am not the biggest fan of the new creative team BUT I am going to be open minded b/c I am such a big legion fan.

Also Barry has won me over being so nice on these boards so I am going to try hard to enjoy his work. His cover looks real good...30 pages is alot of work...i hope the inside looks as good! wink

With so many excellent former inkers like KESEL and Mahlstedt who I think would complement Barry...I wonder how long before we get an inker?

Doesn't KESEL work with Waid & Ringo on the FF? I love KESEL. wink

Jorge

#70457 09/15/04 10:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Valor the M'Onel:
Lar Gand?If he does appear what is Waid gonna call him Marvel Lad?
I wouldn't mind Marvel Lad for Valor. He was called that at one point right? Brown costume or something? Waid didn't put that in the Who's Who decades ago but it was the in Trophy Room in the issue Tinya shows the reporter around. wink

Also what about Dev-Em? smile Always liked him. Super Kid? doh!

jorge

#70458 09/15/04 11:59 PM
Active
Active
Hi Everyone - yet another big 'thanks' for all the kind words and support!

I do agree the cover colors are too muted - but it'll look quite different in it's finished form - I hope smile

I really don't know what else I can say to the guys who don't want this 'reboot' - the fact is we were asked by DC if we would like to take the reins for a major relaunch of Legion - which we did - if it wasn't us it'd be someone else - and I can't really apologize for it being me... I'm honored to be involved as long time Legion fan!

To all the folks who've been so kind about my artwork - I do really appreciate it! For those who haven't liked it in the past - I'll try to keep improving and win you over. smile

BTW I am happy to discuss the thinking behind the new look etc....tempered a little by trying not to give too much away about the stories! smile I will be posting prelim sketches etc as soon as the first issue is out.

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#70459 09/16/04 12:25 AM
Active
Active
i love having a dialogue with creators. thanks for continuing to pop in barry. i found it frustrating when DnA stopped posting on the boards. especially with no letterpages, these boards are all we have to communicate with.
the thing alot of you are forgetting is that if DnA's LEGION was pulling in the readers it wouldn't be being relaunched. no way would DC take a top seller and cancel it and re-imagine it. so if anything, this relaunch/boot/imagining is keeping the adventures of the Legion alive."well, it's not MY legion!" that's right, yours was cancelled because not enough people liked it as much as you did. it sucks, but it happens all the time, and at this point it's a done deal. why not tell us, and Waid + Kitson, what you all liked about the last 10 years of postboot stories and make a case for it to be added to the mix. i'm curious.

Gorilla Nebula
#70460 09/16/04 01:11 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like it GN but it deserves it's own thread, don't you think? I figure that if we have Barry hostage and willing to answer questions without the usual "softening up" then we really ought to see what we can beg, borrow or steal in the way of "insider" information.

he he

1. Have you ever drawn Dawnstar?

2. Can you possibly expand on "intergalactic knights of the round table"?

edit:
I will be posting prelim sketches etc
Most excellent! That rocks man!

#70461 09/16/04 03:18 AM
Active
Active
Hi Gorilla Nebula - Thanks - it's a pleasure to be here! Great points you made too! smile

Hi YelloWing

Yes I have drawn Dawnstar - first time was in the LSH Annual which was, I think, my second piece of professional work for DC. I've also been asked to draw her quite a few times at conventions. I'll do a version I'm proud of one day! smile

I'll have a bash at explaining 'The intergalactic knights of the round-table idea' it's that the Legion is gathered together unified by a vision of how things can and should be and a desire to bring that vision about. They may not all agree on the same methods of course, or share quite the same vision though.
Like the knights of the round table they are a band that came together through choice and through a desire to be part of the best group of 'champions' the universe has to offer.
Hope that sort of helps answer the question smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#70462 09/16/04 06:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just checking, Barry, but while they're doing all this activism and stuff, they ARE still gonna be super-heroes fighting villain-type people, right? smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#70463 09/16/04 06:58 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I hate to spoil a good argument, but WE HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING YET! We've got some very general information about concepts, a cover, and little else. Is it possible at all that the finished product might be very different from the assumptions that some of us are making?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#70464 09/16/04 07:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by toddcam:
But what can I say? DC doesn't care much about continuity anymore. Marvel was bad there for a while, but they seem to be getting better again.
Yeah well, but that's only because Bendis is writing half their titles... soon it's going to be "Power Man's Marvel Universe" wink

#70465 09/16/04 07:07 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
I hate to spoil a good argument, but WE HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING YET! We've got some very general information about concepts, a cover, and little else. Is it possible at all that the finished product might be very different from the assumptions that some of us are making?
Posted here by Johanna Draper Carlson (who co-modded the panel she's reporting on):
The perception is that there's too much continuity for new readers. As a result, they're going to reboot completely from scratch, as if the book and concept was created in 2004.
Therein lies all I need to know.

And how come the X-Men have any readers left if 10 years of linear continuity is too much...?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#70466 09/16/04 07:47 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
X-Men peaked in 1991 with the release of X-Men #1. Since then, it's been waning and waxing, but mainly waning. It is very difficult to jump into any of the books at this point, much moreso than the Lee/Liefeld/Portacio days (and frankly, it wasn't EASY at that point.) All of the main characters have been pimped out for short runs on ongoing series that have mostly been cancelled in their teens or twenties.

The fact that the X-Men is still going strongly in any way is a testament to the tenacity of the fans and the greatness of the concept. However, I would not hold X-Men up as a shining example of continuity at its best, when Lorna Dane pops up with a different personality every panel, Wolverine magically appears in like 90 X-books a month, and like 28 X-Teams all inhabit the mansion, but they never run into each other or collaborate on each other's cases.

The days of the Blue and the Gold teams had its problems, to be sure, but at least you could figure out coherently where each team was and what they were doing in relation to the rest of the mutant corner of the Marvel U.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#70467 09/16/04 08:21 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Reboot, you're preaching to the choir here. I feel your pain. I started reading LSH almost twenty years ago now (all right, all right, 17 years ago!) and have thus suffered through such continuity wrenching experiences as the Mordruverse, The Reboot, and the minor reboot I think of as DnA (the Legion under their hands was a distinct animal, IMO, because they thankfully let a lot of dangling plotlines drop--then created a whole bunch more dangling plots...). I still feel regret and sadness every time I reread the final pages of Zero Hour. I still feel frustrated and cheated by the lame-ass excuse of "too much continuity for new readers." It's such a freaking load of hooey. Say what you want about Marvel, and I could say a lot that isn't flattering, but I've never felt as condescended to as a loyal reader as I feel when DC trots out another Silver Age archives or Silver Age action figure, when they've retroactively shitcanned those stories.

That being said, I'm sorry, but I find it hard to feel much regret over saying goodbye to a flawed era. I'll see what I can take from this version, just like I have before. I'll wait to decide until I have the comic in my hot little hands.

Don't judge me!
#70468 09/16/04 08:44 AM
Reservist
Reservist
To the people like Reboot and Pex, hey, I feel your pain. My Legion from another era was taken away too. I think every Legion fan has had it happen to him now, some more than others. Yet it is the Legion of Super Heroes that I enjoy. Some creators more than others have made it more enjoyable, but it is the characters, the concept of the Legion, and it's sense of wonder and anything is possible that had me hooked. Ijust hope at some point you are able to come to terms with the reality of the situation in a positve way, and not give up something you perhaps love. The Legion in many ways becomes an extended part of family. YOu care what happens to them good or bad, and support them no matter what...

I just can't BLOK it out!
#70469 09/16/04 09:22 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Re: The X-Men

The OTHER comic I've been collecting for seventeen+ years. I truly believe you could make a MUCH stronger case for useless continuity with that title than any other. They should have rebooted when Claremont left. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry who've written any obscure corner of the X-verse has tried to put his "stamp" on the title, resulting in a confusing array of titles, deaths, rebirths, alternate futures, alternate pasts, groups, bases, villains, ad nauseum.

In contrast, the preboot Legion had one frigging little pocket universe, and an alternate history that was put to rest in v2 issue 300. So screw you, DC.

Uh oh, see? This is your brain on reboots....

Don't judge me!
#70470 09/16/04 10:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ultra Cyborg:
Originally posted by Valor the M'Onel:
[b] Lar Gand?If he does appear what is Waid gonna call him Marvel Lad?
I wouldn't mind Marvel Lad for Valor. He was called that at one point right? Brown costume or something? Waid didn't put that in the Who's Who decades ago but it was the in Trophy Room in the issue Tinya shows the reporter around. wink

Also what about Dev-Em? smile Always liked him. Super Kid? doh!

jorge [/b]
I'm guessing they don't all _have_ to have the boy/girl/lad/lass/kid think in their names. After all, we already know Brainiac 5 is probably going to become a member at some point. That leaves room for Dev-Em, Mon-El, Quislet, and Tellus if need be.

Dan
#70471 09/16/04 10:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I can't help but think that those of you who have stated that they will never pick up the new series are just cutting off your noses to spite your faces. You haven't even seen an issue yet, so perhaps you should reserve judgment. What if you actually like it when it comes out - then you're going to have to sneak out in the middle of the night to buy it, in order to save face. wink

Also, statements that you won't support the new creators seem to be nothing more than sour grapes. Just wait and see. If you don't like it when it comes out, that's fair - don't buy it.

#70472 09/16/04 12:38 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by thor2168:
To the people like Reboot and Pex, hey, I feel your pain. My Legion from another era was taken away too. I think every Legion fan has had it happen to him now, some more than others. Yet it is the Legion of Super Heroes that I enjoy. Some creators more than others have made it more enjoyable, but it is the characters, the concept of the Legion, and it's sense of wonder and anything is possible that had me hooked. Ijust hope at some point you are able to come to terms with the reality of the situation in a positve way, and not give up something you perhaps love. The Legion in many ways becomes an extended part of family. YOu care what happens to them good or bad, and support them no matter what...
And that is why I haven't completely given up on X-Men, despite the Morrison run, which I pretty much despised. As a matter of fact, it was during the Morrison run that I turned to Legion for solace, and found a vast new playground that was fun to read, something X-Men hadn't been for quite some time (even before Morrison took over...)

I stayed out of loyalty to and love for the characters. That's the main reason I'm willing to give the new LSH a shot. Even though the characters are not necessarily the same ones I grew to love, I may enjoy Legion 3.0 if it turns out to be a good read. It won't replace my Legion, but hopefully it will be a Legion I can be proud to know, just like its immediate predecessor was (and to a lesser extent, the original Legion...I like it too, I just don't have the attachment to it that I do to the PostBoot incarnation).

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
#70473 09/16/04 03:11 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Semi Radiant Fellow:
I can't help but think that those of you who have stated that they will never pick up the new series are just cutting off your noses to spite your faces.
Yep. But hey - I'm good at that & stubborn enough to carry it through. I won't be reading it. [I dropped Exiles when they got rid of Blink (when she came back & they got a writer whose name wasn't Chuck Austen, I gave it a shot, but didn't go back).]

To use an anology - if someone came, killed off your whole family, then gave you a new "family" who looked & acted similarly, would you treat this "family" as if they were your real family?

I don't think so.

#70474 09/16/04 04:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks for IDing the characters on LSH #1's cover, Barry. I'm looking forward to the new book (while simultaneously missing things from the 'old' run, already)-- I just wish it was starting in OCT!

Now... can you tell is if the characters appearing on the cover also answer to these names? (They're listed in the order you provided several pages of this thread back):

Imra Ardeen, Dirk Morgna, Nura Nal, Thom Kallor, Tasmia Mallor, Rokk Krinn, Jan Arrah, Tinya Wazzo, Projectra Regina, Querl Dox, Jo Nah, Reep Daggle and Val Armorr.

Thanks for the info and your generous participation here... I hope you stick around for the entire run!

Todd

Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,104
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star