Roll Call
0 members (), 46 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 05:00 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
Re: UPDATE (12/20): Legion of Super-Heroes #1-- SOLICITATION! SPOILERS!
#70500 09/18/04 04:51 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I really hope we see Dr. Mayavale in the newest reboot! Mark Waid is a big Silver Age Legion fan. How about it? Barry? Are you reading this?

Doctor Mayavale:
BRING HIM BACK!!!

Comradely,
Gates
LLL!
#70501 09/18/04 06:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The good Doctor recently made a big splash in Matter-Eater Lad: The Series!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#70502 09/18/04 06:20 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Mayavale WILL RETURN!!!!

#70503 09/18/04 09:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
More thoughts. smile

First off I've been reading since 1983. I have not followed every version of the Legion. In 1989 when the 5 years gap story started I hated it. I was a very upset 14 year old. But it was so darn good I couldn't really stay upset my old Legion was gone. Even with the postzerohour Legion i didn't like it until 2001. I hope this is so good I have no option to like it. smile

Regarding the ULTIMATES. The Ultimates are just a glorified Elseworlds while the main title runs normally. If DC decided to name Waid/Kiton's Legion Ultimate Legion while keeping DnA/Batista on the regular Legion I would be very happy.

And finally Mayalave? He was a genetic engineer correct? Would love to see that back. I remember the big orange guy with four arms, etc.

Jorge

#70504 09/19/04 06:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Reboot:
Magnitude. The anology compares concepts.

Of-frelling-[b]course
mass-murder would be of a far, far greater magnitude.[/b]
Destroying and slaughtering every character in the Marvel and DC universes would still be nowhere near the murder or death of any of our loved ones.

You're comparing fictional characters to real live people. There is no comparison.

If you compared it to James Bond...wait! They have replaced the actor that has played Jamed Bond several times...some have worked better than others. And just about everyonbe I know has a favorite (or "their") Bond.

Replacing Tony Stark in Iron man with the teenage Tony didn't go over well, and they retconned that. So who knows what will happen.

But comparing the murder of loved ones to comic book characters is not a good thing...there no balance of "magnitude" difference in your analogy between FICTIONAL characters and my 4 year old little girl. Totally different. Nothing can even compare the two.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#70505 09/19/04 08:45 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Dove, he's not saying that fictional characters are more important. Any person with even half a degree of sanity knows that. He is NOT saying they're more important.

But as often happens with fictional characters, people become attached to them, sometimes even coming to regard them as a second family (Obviously still of less importance than any real person, even a person you might despise).

Thus, when a fictional character you care about dies or is changed beyond all hope of repair, you might conceivably feel a sense of loss, sadness, or perhaps, if you really liked the character, even a bit of despair, just as you would if a real person had died.

This isn't a slight toward real people, and no one is claiming that fictional characters are in any way more important than a real person. All that is being said is that losing a fictional person you care about can elicit some of the same sorts of emotions that we experience when we lose real people we care about.

Obviously, if it were a real person, I'd like to think we all would feel a much greater remorse and sadness and despair than for the loss of...say...Kinetix. The emotions for real people can and should exist on a far greater level of power and intensity, but that doesn't mean that we can't feel those emotions at all for fictional characters as it might cheapen the emotions we have for real people.

Can you honestly say that you've never been moved emotionally by the plight of a fictional character? That you've never been saddened by the death of one? That you weren't overjoyed when things work out for the characters you enjoy reading about? If you have done any of these things, then you should know that the joy or depression you feel at fictional events is a dim mirror of the joy you felt as your daughter took her first steps, or the despair when your daughter was sick and you knew there was nothing you can do for her. Again, even though it's a dim mirror,it is still a mirror, and by connecting on an emotional level with fictional characters, we can learn more about said emotions and how they relate to our interactions with others.

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
#70506 09/19/04 08:50 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Pex the Unalive:
Dove, he's not saying that fictional characters are more important. Any person with even half a degree of sanity knows that. He is NOT saying they're more important.

[...]

Obviously, if it were a real person, I'd like to think we all would feel a much greater remorse and sadness and despair than for the loss of...say...Kinetix. The emotions for real people can and should exist on a far greater level of power and intensity, but that doesn't mean that we can't feel those emotions at all for fictional characters as it might cheapen the emotions we have for real people.

[...]
At least you realised what I meant...

Point is, if you're not attached to the characters in serial fiction, why read/watch/listen to it? And if they're all just going to be thrown out and replaced with similar-but-different characters, why SHOULD I give a damn about the similar-but-different characters, when they're not the ones I'd grown attached to?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#70507 09/19/04 10:19 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Hey, I've seen a lot of silver age fans seeing this new legion as a restoration of their favorite lsh era. I'm just curious what, besides the old school names and lack of a snake, makes you think that the new series will resemble old school legion any more than it will the reboot?

From what I've read it seems more likely to be a pretty unique animal than a restoration of the Adventure era. I mean an indie rock legion raising hell and seeking adventures because the UP is too boring? Doesn't sound like the Moby Dick of Space to me.

"Suit yourself, John. But real men wear pants, y'know?"--King Faraday in DC: New Frontier
#70508 09/19/04 10:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cad Lad:
Hey, I've seen a lot of silver age fans seeing this new legion as a restoration of their favorite lsh era. I'm just curious what, besides the old school names and lack of a snake, makes you think that the new series will resemble old school legion any more than it will the reboot?

From what I've read it seems more likely to be a pretty unique animal than a restoration of the Adventure era. I mean an indie rock legion raising hell and seeking adventures because the UP is too boring? Doesn't sound like the Moby Dick of Space to me.
I think you're absolutely right, Cad. Although I'm excited about the new legion, and the return of some of my favorite silver age characters, I don't for a moment delude myself that this is going to be a return to the Legion of my childhood. (And that's probably a good thing, because what interested me as a child, strangely doesn't grab me as an adult. Weird, eh? wink ) What I'm really excited about, is an end to the past era. I found the stories boring, and the characters only partially realized. There were so many fits and starts and subplots left hanging, never to be resolved. It was just hard to care anymore. I liked Gates (the best thing from the current era) and thought Shikari and Gear had a lot of unrealized potential. Other than that, I won't miss a thing.

#70509 09/19/04 11:01 AM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
I mean, really...with so many characters, we really *can't* get to "know" individual characters as we can with books with much smaller casts. (And even then, half the time we have throw out half of what we "know" depending on what direction later writers take.) So in LSH fandom, we latch onto the snapshot glimpses we get of each character during the little panel time they get. Those glimpses, by and large, offer us little more than the concept of the character. Therefore, for most of Legion fandom, we are attached to the concept of the character somewhat more than the character itself.

-- Still here to help.
#70510 09/19/04 11:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cad Lad:
I'm getting that same vibe - that this will be fresh & new -- it's why I'm excited about the new series (admittedly, I wince at Waid's stale description, 'indie rockers seeking adventures across the stagnant utopian UP' or somesuch).

Take one look at that cover and you KNOW it's not any of the 30th centuries we're familiar with. I was impressed with Kitson's initial designs (and I'd LOVE to see the rest, BARRY -- AHEM -- email is fine & NATURALLY I'd keep it confidential! CalorieQueen ). While the 'look' is reminiscent of superhero tights, it's just as likely that each person is wearing stuff that's culturally or personally important. (Sure, Element Lad appears a trifle Ren-Fair Mr. Wizard-y, but I suspect there's cause for that too.)

I'm hoping this tiny peek into their vision opens the way for bigger things, faster changes, fuller lives than what we've been getting in Legion.

#70511 09/19/04 11:27 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Rurouni KJS:
By contrast, the postboot Ferro was all about the self-hatred and so was lower on my list of favorites, as he longer accurately fulfilled the character's concept in my mind.
Where did you get this idea, Rurouni? Ferro was underconfident, shy and a bit of a dim bulb, but there was nothing that suggested self-hatred to me.

People who hate themselves usually can't build and maintain relationships, yet Ferro was shown doing this on numerous occasions. He reached out to the others by redesigning costumes for them (none of them liked his designs, except Inferno, but at least he tried). He became friends with Triad and had enough self-respect to break off that friendship when she confessed that part of her thought he was stupid. He bonded with Karate Kid.

It is true that Ferro hated his appearance -- his misshapen face beneath the mask -- and tried to change it. But that's different from hating oneself.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#70512 09/19/04 02:04 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm still in oblivious sticker shock though!! eek eek 40 pages of story and art for $3.00?? Is that right?? Or is the book 40 pages instead of 32 pages TOTAL with a few more pages of story and art?? Can someone clarify this for me?? If it's the latter then how many more pages of story and art will there be?? Maybe 30 pages total?? That would be really cool!! laugh

Really looking forward to this event regardless!! smile

ChameleonBoy

---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---
#70513 09/19/04 02:18 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
30 pages of story and art I think is what Barry said somewhere in one of these threads. With 10 more pages in the book I'm praying they'll add a letters page and special features like Who's Who entries or short backup stories.

#70514 09/19/04 02:25 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I think we can rule out a letters page. Isn't it strict DC policy these days that their own forums have "replaced" the letters pages in terms of function and importance? I disagree with said policy, but I believe it is still in force, unfortunately... frown

On the other hand, I think Barry has hinted (though I could be wrong) that there will be back-up stories on occasion...

#70515 09/19/04 02:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I *really* wish they'd bring back the text page features-- both 'fictional' and 'informational'.

I loved their inclusion in the 5YL issues. Some of the material was questionable in quality, but their usage wasn't.

Besides being a great way to explore characters' viewpoints and histories, they'd have the added bonus of 'freeing' up (at least for a page or two each month) Barry and/or whatever artists end up working on LSH.

TEXT PAGES... STET! STAT!

Consider this another vote for the reader-elections. C'mon... this is a storied part of Legion tradition!

AND a perfect vehicle for cross-promotion on the DC website.

Todd

#70516 09/19/04 02:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Comet King:
but lame brained stuff like actually introducing a character called Bgtzl and having him "seed" Tinya's homeworld 1000 years in the past was just a load of rubbish.
Gotta disagree with this idea CK. History is full of people naming cities, provinces, even entire lands after themselves, or having other do that for them. Off the top of my head, I can think of "North and South Rhodesia, Victoria in Australia, the Victoria Falls, New York, (named after the Duke of York, not the northern city) Pennsylvania, Carolina, Virginia, need I go on, Hell even America itself is named after a person.

So why not name a planet after a person?

In fact I am surprised that we don't see more places in Legion Lore named after Valor as seeder of many worlds.

Faithfull
#70517 09/19/04 02:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This fan of Silver-Age Legion doesn't see the reimagining as a return to the Silver Age, but instead sees the unlimited possibilities and chances to right past wrongs.

Chief among these right off the bat, for me: the return of Projectra, Sun Boy and Colossal Boy.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#70518 09/19/04 03:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Reboot:
Originally posted by Pex the Unalive:
[b]Dove, he's not saying that fictional characters are more important. Any person with even half a degree of sanity knows that. He is NOT saying they're more important.

[...]

[...]
At least you realised what I meant...

Point is, if you're not attached to the characters in serial fiction, why read/watch/listen to it? And if they're all just going to be thrown out and replaced with similar-but-different characters, why SHOULD I give a damn about the similar-but-different characters, when they're not the ones I'd grown attached to?[/b]
I
realized" what you were after as well...I just thought the comparison to loosing one's family as opposed to loosing characters that are in comics was off base. To me there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#70519 09/19/04 05:49 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm hoping the new series blends the best of its predecessors.

For example, I'm thrilled we're getting Sun Boy and a human Projectra back.

But I hope we ALSO see post-Zero Hour characters like Gates and Shikari (although I'd enjoy seeing Dawny as well. No reason why they can't co-exist.).

I'm really hoping this series is NOT a complete re-boot and that longtime fans don't have to sit through yet ANOTHER modern take on a classic Silver Age Legion tale. Live Wire/Lightning Lad losing his arm? Been there and done that - TWICE.

Rather, I hope Mark and Barry continue the history that we've seen in the last series, and update the concepts. The new "Colossal Boy" should know about Leviathan/Gim Allon, and understand the tradition he's gotta follow.

And if Mark and Barry wanna shuffle the cliques and relationships, and redefine why the Legion exists, be my guest.

- the Kid

#70520 09/19/04 06:37 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That's too bad. As a kid it was one of the most important parts of my comic book experience. The Legion's letters pages brough us together as fandom instead of just being a bunch of fans.
Now when I reread the old issues of Adventure, Action and Superboy I always read the letters pages too. Letters from creators when they were just fans too are extremely cool.

#70521 09/19/04 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Rurouni KJS:
I mean, really...with so many characters, we really *can't* get to "know" individual characters as we can with books with much smaller casts. (And even then, half the time we have throw out half of what we "know" depending on what direction later writers take.) So in LSH fandom, we latch onto the snapshot glimpses we get of each character during the little panel time they get. Those glimpses, by and large, offer us little more than the concept of the character. Therefore, for most of Legion fandom, we are attached to the concept of the character somewhat more than the character itself.
This is a valid argument, though, to be fair, personalities did develop for most Legionnaires over time, both pre- and postboot. We got to know their back stories, meet their families, and watch them grow during several eras.

Many times, even the glimpses into their personalities were priceless and told us everything we needed to know. One of my favorite examples is Leviathan discarding his headpiece when one of the girls criticized it. This offered a wonderful counterpart to the by-the-books drill sergeant mentality he had been shown to possess. At heart, Gim was a softie who wanted to impress girls (or one in particular), as most teenaged boys do. How different this is than seeing him as just the guy who grows tall.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#70522 09/19/04 07:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm... excited.

I thought I'd be as upset as Reboot about starting the series over again. Maybe it's because I got so attached to the postboot despite discovering the LSH during the Levitz era. Or maybe I'm just high on cold medication.

I think I'll take the solicitation to class tomorrow and see what the manga fans think.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#70523 09/19/04 10:15 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I think I'll take the solicitation to class tomorrow and see what the manga fans think.
It'll be interesting to hear their responses, please do! smile

#70524 09/19/04 11:37 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by YellowStar:
30 pages of story and art I think is what Barry said somewhere in one of these threads. With 10 more pages in the book I'm praying they'll add a letters page and special features like Who's Who entries or short backup stories.
Holy schmoley! Eight Xtra pages!!

This is incredibly good news My main gripe post-boot has been that the issues read like pamphlets, even when compared to v2 or v3. 8 extra pages will do nicely!!!!

Also, w/ regard to the concern of Cad Lad and others about the described direction ("indie rock Legion"), I think this is a red herring...they're going to decribe the new LEgion in the most intriguing way possible, but in doing so they have likely exaggerated what are only slight leanings of the book, or they are describing only an initial storyline that will change rapidly. I don't really think it will be as it sounds...

"I like stuff that doesn't exist."
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,104
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CreativityKid
CreativityKid
Pawtucket, RI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star