Roll Call
0 members (), 48 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: LSH 46 ~~~~~~~~~~~~SPOILERS!
#70981 09/27/08 06:08 PM
Active
Active
However, if DCU panel on Baltimore-Con is any indication...

Q: Is there any Legion of Super-Heroes news about the future of the team?

A: Johns: “The future of the Legion of Super-Heroes is in Legion of 3 Worlds - and it will have a lot of stuff in it that will affect the modern day DCU.”

Boooring. And I bet they are the Flash and Superturtle-Prime.

#70982 09/27/08 07:05 PM
Deputy
Deputy
If Prime is going to find redemption and a home anywhere in the wide multiverse, it might very well be on a world where young people grow up reading of ancient super-heroes in comic books – exactly like he did.

I thought that was a pretty nice clue Shooter inserted in the Tinya/Jeckie scene.

As to the future beyond Shooter's arc (which I think will make it to "52") -- the most expansive interpretation of "The Legion of Three Worlds" is a Legion composed of the Legions of three worlds.

#70983 09/27/08 11:11 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
If Prime is going to find redemption and a home anywhere in the wide multiverse, it might very well be on a world where young people grow up reading of ancient super-heroes in comic books – exactly like he did.

I thought that was a pretty nice clue Shooter inserted in the Tinya/Jeckie scene.

As to the future beyond Shooter's arc (which I think will make it to "52") -- the most expansive interpretation of "The Legion of Three Worlds" is a Legion composed of the Legions of three worlds.
... Except that DiDio has already said there would be a single Legion after L3W. And I doubt they would make this situation even messier.

Johns might be twisting with the idea that Superboy-Prime is to become forever a villain for the 21st Century BUT a hero in the 31st. I don't see why he would hint at that for free.

#70984 09/28/08 01:06 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Imra spilled the beans that Jo's Super Moby Dick of Space wasn't all that.
Ouch Jim! At least the horrible "badness" of that joke is offset by its usefulness as a historical Legion reference.

Take a bow for that one!

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#70985 09/28/08 07:52 AM
Leader
Leader
Hey! I thought it was funny! At least I'm amusing myself.

Why else would Jo be so hurt?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#70986 09/28/08 08:00 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm really enjoying Shooters run as writer, I really hope the rumours that he will be leaving soon are false as the plotting is so tight, the characters are great and the action is fantastic. The art is (again) top notch, very stylized without being obscure. This issue was probably my favourite so far of the threeboot.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#70987 09/28/08 10:04 AM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
I liked it, too. But then I've liked the threeboot series from jump, and rereading it has only made it better IMO. I'll be sad if the adult LSH is the only one to survive L3W -- I like these teenage punks.

I've been waiting for this Ultra Boy characterization for a long time.

-- Still here to help.
#70988 09/28/08 08:18 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Damn it! I'm just starting to enjoy the Shooter run--a lot!--and now it's rumoured that he may be departing. What kills me is that this is the very first time since the first reboot that I've truly come to accept the latest reincarnation of the Legionnaires on their own terms without pining for the original ones. frown

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#70989 09/28/08 11:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I've enjoyed Shooter's run ever since it started, and 46 is my favorite so far! Though not a lot happened again, as far as the major threat escalating, the character work was absolutely top-knotch!

And I thought the scene with Jo fighting the YH punks where he narrates his power switches to them as he takes them down was really cool and funny. We've seen variations on this done in other incarnations, but this was the most effective and entertaining of them by far!

I thought it was interesting also that Ayla's partial nudity didn't seem to be a big deal either to her or Brin in the scene they shared in the infirmary. We've seen similar scenes among the Legionnaires throughout the threeboot. I'm taking it as casual nudity not being all that big a deal in 30th century mores, but it might be more specific to their youth and rebellious nature.

It really seems, with the intro of the Orando subplot, that Shooter's writing the series as if he's on for the longhaul. I certainly hope that turns out to be the case! If it's not, I hope we'll have long enough to see all the threads tied up.

Certainly, so far this seems the most well-received issue of the run among us Legion Worlders to this point. Always a good thing to see a run start to gain momentum nearly a year into it!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#70990 09/29/08 02:53 AM
Active
Active
Well I must concur with people here. This was an excellent issue. Felt like it flowed and wasn't a bit choppy like some previous issues. Here's my take on what happened....

Saturn Girl and Ultra Boy:
The opening panel shows Saturn girl without any clothes and Ultra Boy pulling up his pants. Did anything happen, well not as much that could have. Why? Only because they were interrupted by Invisible Kid. In otherwords, if Lyle hadn't shown up when he did, everything would have happened because that was their intention. I do think that Saturn Girl was more aggressive than Ultra Boy and as I said earlier, he was really just taking advantage of the situation.

Lightning Lad and the President:
Earlier I said that I felt they may already know one another because of Garth's informalities. That clearly wasn't the case because she asked Lightning Lad for his first name. Does Lightning Lad know "how" to treat someone in her position? I'd say yes he does, but chooses informality as it is part of his personality.

Phantom Girl and Princess Projectra:
Clearly the story Phantom Girl read to Princess Projectra had a major impact on her view of things, that and along with the couple of consversations we have seen them have about "treating people better despite her royal upbringing". So it appears as if things are sinking in for Princess. Like both of their new uniforms as well. Very nice!

Brainiac and Chameleon Boy:
Well I thought hacking off his hand was a bit of a stretch (though funny). Sure he will regenerate, but I think that having him suddenly swing a knife was probably not the way he would have gone about it. I'd say 31st century medical science could do better. Hope he at least disinfected the knife. It would be a shame if Chameleon Boy got an infection. Brainiac 5 could of at least had a band-aid ready. Ok, so there wasn't really any blood. But still....

The UPYH:
I noticed all of them had rough sounding names. Nothing heroic or eleagant. I still think if they amount to anything they will become villains down the road and I still think things will unfold that eventually they will get themselves in trouble and the Legion will end up saving their rear-ends. Either that or they take sides with the invaders????

Princess Projectra:
So now we know where the super strength is coming from. Her emotional distrought I think is responsible for her lashing out like she has been. It's also possible that with a physical change in power that it also affects her judgement as well....during the transition stage. It sounds like revenge (they called it justice) is near. Along time ago, I thought perhaps the destruction of the planet would have turned out to be an illusion unto itself. But it's looking like I was wrong about that as well. Sigh!

Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl:
Well it looks like she spilled the beans because she wanted to. I think she exageratted the events or at least told him "things would have gone further". I think she did this more out of guilt and simply trying to correct a serious mistake. I don't think she wanted to necessarily break up with him, I think she was trying to clean the slate and rid herself of the guilt. "No were finished". That statement means two things.....1. their conversation was over...2. So is the relationship. She runs off hiding the tears streaming down her face. So I think it didn't go as well as she had hoped. Why did she exaggerate then...I'm not sure. I think she was being honest about what she was willing to do.

Invisible Kid:
He suggested tryouts. We know that a forthcoming cover shows this as well. I'm thinking that we might tie up some loose ends here as well. Matter-Eater Lad and Wildfire perhaps; even if they are not on the upcoming cover.

Lightning Lad and Ultra Boy:
Jo tries to take the blame coming with the approach that he's a dog. Basically he spoke the truth. He didn't understand why Imra exageratted. Lightning Lad showed remarkably good judgment in restraining his anger. I think Jim Shooter is building him up to be a worthy leader when the invasion crisis reaches its climax. A real character growth moment in his life.

Why did Ultra Boy say to Invisible Kid, "He couldn't have hurt me more"? During their conversation, Ultra Boy tried to make amends and apologize to Lightning Lad. He offered to leave or at least letting him take a swing at him. Garth's response "And one more thing...stay the florg away from me". So what did he mean when he said to Invisible Kid about how Lightning Lad couldn't have hurt him more? Lightning Lad didn't accept the apology and what is worse...he essentially threw the friendship in the trash. He rejected Ultra Boy's friendship.

Overall, the best story Jim Shooter has written since he picked up the comic. Just my thoughts.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
#70991 09/29/08 08:32 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I too enjoyed the issue and all the characterization involved. This seemed to be a set-up issue to me, since there were no real action scenes except with Ultra Boy's cleanup of the renegade applicants. We have the Alien Invaders, the Dream Girl circumstance, and now the Orando survivors all on the burner on a slow cook. I would like to see at least one of these issues resolved in the next month or two.

Another great cover and art work effort as well!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#70992 09/29/08 09:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I would like to see at least one of these issues resolved in the next month or two.
Well since we now only have four months to wrap up ALL the plot points, you may get you wish. wink

#70993 09/29/08 07:42 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
This was the soap opera issue of Legion,
and I loved every panel!

#70994 10/04/08 05:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What the rhino said.

#70995 10/05/08 09:31 PM
Leader
Leader
Has anyone translated the interlac on the cover yet?

It looks to me like it reads "menu" and "Pittsburg Post Gayette."

#70996 10/05/08 09:57 PM
Leader
Leader
Yes, that looks like it, although you missed the "h" on "Pittsburgh." I guess FJM just mixed up the y and z. Pittsburgh...hmmm. Sayyyyy, Jim Shooter's from Pittsburgh! What a coinkydink!

Long Live all them Legions!
#70997 10/07/08 07:55 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
This was the soap opera issue of Legion,
and I loved every panel!
You bet!

It's good to reread everyone's ideas -- it gets me thinking in all sorts of directions.

Now that Shooter has given away his big spoiler, one possible "sci-fi comic book" explanation is Imra's sensitive telepathic mind its losing its grip on reality because <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Projectra is altering reality</span></span> thus nothing Imra does or says can be viewed as rational or logical.

A possible "real llife" explanation (which other people seem to prefer) might go something like this: Imra did indeed tell Garth the truth from her perspective. She told him she and Jo were falling in love and she wants to pursue a relationship with him. Jo doesn't realize yet he's in love with Imra, but she looked into his mind and knows it for a fact. Imra also knows Garth doesn't really love her (though he thinks he does, but his utter neglect of their romance says otherwise)., which is confirmed when he finds true love with Kin'thea. Their union would personify the ultimate alliance of the Legion and the United Planets -- something Lightning Lad set about doing as long ago as issue #14, when he signed the pact. It might not sit well with a lot of people, but it does tie up a lot of themes, imo.

Just four more issues. I intend to savor every single panel.

#70998 10/07/08 06:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Projectra's altering reality, if it has any kind of permanence, might get her homeworld back, if not her parents.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#70999 10/07/08 07:56 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Candle:
Projectra's altering reality, if it has any kind of permanence, might get her homeworld back, if not her parents.
I think the intruder planet is the new Orando. Jeckie created it from her unconscious mind (she can make illusions solid?) or summoned it from the distant past with her newfound powers. Something else else weird like that. She's the new Progenitress of her world and civilization, imo.

#71000 10/07/08 09:13 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
That's an interesting thought.

#71001 10/08/08 05:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think the intruder planet is the new Orando. Jeckie created it from her unconscious mind (she can make illusions solid?) or summoned it from the distant past with her newfound powers. Something else else weird like that. She's the new Progenitress of her world and civilization, imo.
Yes, an interesting progression and a fun idea.
I have questions about the idea, though.

1. Up to this point though, Jecka has not been able to create solid or long lasting or illusions with powers (her dragons don't breathe 'real' fire).
Her Sensor (not the snake)powers were less understood and farther rangeing, but that was another boot.

2. Her illusionairy planet would have to be solid enough and predictable enough to have gravity stable enough for Brainy to 'take care of it'.
That seems like asking an awful lot of her, especially in her current grieving state.

3. Jeckie has never been a 'brain', really.
Well, except as Sensor Girl but that was another boot.

I AM disturbed about the Orandans that found her, especially the old guy who solved her most pressing problem by giving her drugs.

It's a good thing that kids don't really read this book, I've heard, because that's the LAST thing they need to hear.
It'd be nice to have our heroes find other solutions to their problems.
Especially if adults are going to be involved.

The other issue I have about the currant story is the way the huge, muscular/powerful to the max, Alpha males, (in this case Jo and Garth) are so cold toward a girl who is shown to be so much smaller and often appearing to be so much younger and terribly vulnerable (yes, this version of Imra).

That's one of the problems dealing with kids rather than adults (20's). They are so wildly different in their maturity levels during the teen years and there is such a huge difference that even a few months can make, much less years.
Plus, the way the artist draws the guys makes them look even older then their teens, since that kind of muscle mass and definition is usually found in older bodies (20s and 30s+).

So, people can blame Imra if they want to but Jo is MUCH more sexually experienced then she is and he & Garth LOOK much older and more experience in life.

And then there's the 'other' problem I have with this story/era.
Why portray kids of the future as thinking it's okay to casually run around each other without their clothes on and having casual sex with multiple partners?

This is just not an acceptable message to give TODAYS kids, imo.
Not with the teen suicides, alcoholism and STDS that they have to deal with.
I'm sorry, but Shooter needs to be more responsible and stop using old cliches that don't present the realistic consequences of his characters actions (or changing the actions). He's too old for that crap.

That being said, I like M'Rissey, alot.

The Legion might find itself sorry that just anyone can buy a flight ring.
But what the hey, the idea is great for daydreaming!
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#71002 10/09/08 08:18 AM
Deputy
Deputy
[b]I think the intruder planet is the new Orando. Jeckie created it from her unconscious mind (she can make illusions solid?) or summoned it from the distant past with her newfound powers. Something else else weird like that. She's the new Progenitress of her world and civilization, imo.
Yes, an interesting progression and a fun idea.
I have questions about the idea, though.

1. Up to this point though, Jecka has not been able to create solid or long lasting or illusions with powers (her dragons don't breathe 'real' fire).
Her Sensor (not the snake)powers were less understood and farther rangeing, but that was another boot.

2. Her illusionairy planet would have to be solid enough and predictable enough to have gravity stable enough for Brainy to 'take care of it'.
That seems like asking an awful lot of her, especially in her current grieving state.

3. Jeckie has never been a 'brain', really.
Well, except as Sensor Girl but that was another boot. [/b]
But, as revealed in this issue, Jeckie has phenomenal new powers neither she (nor we) understand yet. Not to mention the fact she's

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">the titular "One Evil" </span></span>

The other issue I have about the currant story is the way the huge, muscular/powerful to the max, Alpha males, (in this case Jo and Garth) are so cold toward a girl who is shown to be so much smaller and often appearing to be so much younger and terribly vulnerable (yes, this version of Imra).
In my first post in this thread, I wrote "Imra, unfortunately, comes off as a very creepy, emotionally disturbed little girl." I think you and I are sensing the same thing but interpreting it a little differently. I just hope the creators can deal with it adequately in four issues.

#71003 10/12/08 03:00 AM
Active
Active
Random thoughts:

No one has mentioned Brande Park, the sole threeboot reference to the dear departed R.J.

Surprised that everyone accepts the President as being "good." Her administration cound not have persecuted our heroes without at least her tacit approval--suspect she is merely getting Garth to drop his guard.

No doubt Brainy subtly exposed Cham's limb to a lethal dose of radiation to freeze it in that final form--thus he was actually saving his team mate's life by lopping it off--a fact he probably neglected to share with his patient/victim.

Saturn Girl is a mess (and would do well to stay away from Shady until cancelation)who will apparently only find redemption by saving the former Princess.

Kinda doubt the veracity of the mirror Orandoans--if they are truly what they claim to be. The effects of the "one day" potion will probably last much longer and may have permanently placed Jeckie in their thrall.

Still expect Shooter to play up the subtle link established between Lightning Lad and Gazelle in the final issues.

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#71004 10/16/08 04:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Korbal:
Random thoughts:

No one has mentioned Brande Park, the sole threeboot reference to the dear departed R.J.

Surprised that everyone accepts the President as being "good." Her administration cound not have persecuted our heroes without at least her tacit approval--suspect she is merely getting Garth to drop his guard.

No doubt Brainy subtly exposed Cham's limb to a lethal dose of radiation to freeze it in that final form--thus he was actually saving his team mate's life by lopping it off--a fact he probably neglected to share with his patient/victim.

Saturn Girl is a mess (and would do well to stay away from Shady until cancelation)who will apparently only find redemption by saving the former Princess.

Kinda doubt the veracity of the mirror Orandoans--if they are truly what they claim to be. The effects of the "one day" potion will probably last much longer and may have permanently placed Jeckie in their thrall.

Still expect Shooter to play up the subtle link established between Lightning Lad and Gazelle in the final issues.
Very insightful thoughts!
Thanks.

I HAD wondered if I'd somehow missed Tas and Jo breaking up!
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#71005 10/18/08 01:33 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Korbal:
Been pondering this point, and am now entertaining the intriguing theory that nothing is wrong with Imra at all, and that she is merely following the characterizations of her earlier incarnations...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
JR Loflin
JR Loflin
Outpost Gallifrey
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star