Roll Call
0 members (), 59 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
SPOILERS .... Issue #33: For the Future...Forever!
#71142 05/26/04 11:40 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
SPOILER SPACE

Hooray! Legion wins!
Hooray! The Espionage Squad is back!

The legionnaires imprisoned by the Credo are incredulous when Jarth is brought into their cell - suspicious that it is an interrogation trick. I'd forgotten that this team left for the 2nd galaxy before Jarth returned. However, they are convinced his story is true when the Espionage Squad appears "out of nowhere" - Invisible Kid, Apparition & Vi. (Nor did they know about Superboy.) Jail break, fight the Credo.

Other Legion teams fight on other Credo fronts. Singularity decides to take out the whole planet and everybody on it in order to destroy the Progenitor - and the Credo troops question martyrdom.

Jarth defeats Singularity, containing him in (?) tromium.

Lots of fight scenes in this issue, but I liked them. There's chatter, talk, discussion between the legionnaires; you get a sense of friendship and teamwork - and character. Not a heavy hitting message, but the meaning of the Legion comes through it all.

Nice - and interesting pairings on one of the last pages: Jo & Tinya, Ayla & Jarth, Nura & Tom dancing, Cham & Kinetix, Jaz & Rokk, RJ with Superboy & M'onel, Wildfire & Shikari, XS & Val (?), and Brainy & Lyle. And, last page, huggy huggy, Garth & Imra. Nice ending.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Re: SPOILERS .... Issue #33: For the Future...Forever!
#71143 05/26/04 12:01 PM
Deputy
Deputy
A satisfying story, but it's only the last two pages that really matter. Not your conventional "happily ever after", but close enough. The final panel was memorable, but even better was the "easter egg" on the previous page -- a future version of Garth and Imra walking through the Legion Memorial Plaza. I shed a tear when I saw it.

Thank you and good night, Dan, Andy and Chris. It's been a gas. And...LONG LIVE THE LEGION!

#71144 05/26/04 12:10 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Well, DnA's final two-parter turned out to be probably their best work since "The Legion" began. This issue featured lots of action, but at least they gave everybody something to do.

No huge surprises or final revelations, but did we really expect such from a team that's leaving?

#71145 05/26/04 01:09 PM
Substitute
Substitute
What? No Andromeda?

Guess there's always Waid/Kitson to bring her back. =/

A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world
#71146 05/26/04 01:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:
The final panel was memorable, but even better was the "easter egg" on the previous page -- a [b]future version of Garth and Imra walking through the Legion Memorial Plaza. [/b]
Huh?? I don't understand what makes that couple the "future" Garth and Imra -- is that a reference to a previous depiction of them?

DnA did a decent job bringing the story to a close, though the story was a tad too one-dimensional (as most of their recent climaxes have been). Great job by Batista again -- it's too bad to see him go, but having Lightle next issue more than makes up for it.

Great to see the Espionage squad again.

It makes sense that Cham would be the one to not believe what he was seeing -- a Durlan wouldn't be so wuick to trust appearances, after all.

I wish the Credo would've put up more of a fight. It was cool to see the team in action, but it lacked tension or drama.

Tinya and Jo seems like a happy couple again -- where'd that come from??

#71147 05/26/04 02:53 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:
[b]The final panel was memorable, but even better was the "easter egg" on the previous page -- a [b]future version of Garth and Imra walking through the Legion Memorial Plaza. [/b]
Huh?? I don't understand what makes that couple the "future" Garth and Imra -- is that a reference to a previous depiction of them? [/b]
No, but it's obviously intended to be them and they obviously look a bit more mature and are dressed differently than their current selves. I'm not saying it's a portent of the future -- just a nice way to underline the happy ending with a hint of even happier times to come.

#71148 05/26/04 04:30 PM
Active
Active
i enjoyed this read better than many in the past year. as above, i too enjoyed the return of the espionage squad, and the friendly dialogue among the cast (most of which haven't had lines in months.) it was nice to see Sensor added to the E.Squad. It was a relief that Kid Q., Cos, and Saturn Girl stayed on the sidelines to give others the spotlight. Hypertaxis-Kinetix seemed out of character (what else is new). she is also miscolored as Dreamer in one panel; This inker did nothing to enhance Batista's artwork. and in typical DnA fashion the finish was pretty hasty and anti-climactic. Why didn't Jarth transmute Singularity last issue--or at the beginning of this issue-- if it was that easy? It all would have been more powerful if we knew more about Singularity's motivations and Jarth's reaction to being in Element Lad's body. Oh well, at least it wasn't dragged out for 5 issues. Next please.

Gorilla Nebula
#71149 05/26/04 08:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
Why didn't Jarth transmute Singularity last issue--or at the beginning of this issue-- if it was that easy?
It's possible he didn't know it would be that easy and was driven more by the stress he was under just then.

Even if he'd known he could do that, there's a good chance that the rest of the Credo would have killed him, and then the captive Legionnaires, right then and there.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#71150 05/26/04 09:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
[b] Why didn't Jarth transmute Singularity last issue--or at the beginning of this issue-- if it was that easy?
It's possible he didn't know it would be that easy and was driven more by the stress he was under just then.

Even if he'd known he could do that, there's a good chance that the rest of the Credo would have killed him, and then the captive Legionnaires, right then and there.[/b]
I agree OM. Had Singularity not gone postal then the Legion still would have had a galaxy to fight. This way Credo was shown just how crazy Singularity was.

I have to say I did enjoy this issue and I loved seeing more of R.J.. Especially since who knows if he'll be around when Mark and Barry take over.

Chris, Chip, and Ronda's (mechana/snocone) work was top notched. I will really miss this art team. Barry, you have some big shoes to fill!

I don't know that I liked the quick turnaround Imra had but I'll put it down to her just being too afraid of losing Garth again. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Why has no one commented on Kon's singing? Didn't anyone else find it amusing he was singing the theme song to the Teen Titans cartoon?

And the first person who makes any comments about the protean couple and Garth and Imra being in the plaza at the same time will be banned for life. laugh

#71151 05/27/04 04:42 AM
Active
Active
Val and XS are old friends--remember they shared a cell on planet Hell

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#71152 05/27/04 05:42 AM
Active
Active
Eh, as far as I was concerned this issue was just more of the same: the Legion flying around and hitting things. God that's boring. I hate reading comics that feature fights devoid of any dramatic tension. And was there anyone who thought that Jarth was alone? We all knew that, at the least, Violet was going to be with him. It's a natural extension of that concept that the rest of the espionage squad would be there.

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing someone else write this book. I may be dreading elements of the upcoming relaunch, but the fact that Waid has said he'd focus on characterization is like a cool breeze refreshing the whole Legion concept.

#71153 05/27/04 06:11 AM
Leader
Leader
I agree with Director Lad. I think this issue took even less time to write than it did to read and I read it in about 10 minutes at most.

The Espionage Squad frees the captives.

The Legion kicks Credo butt.

Jarth saves the day.

The end. None of the above developments held any surprises whatsoever. Thank God D&A are OUTTAHERE!

By the way, isn't killing against the Legion code? Isn't that why Garth resigned before killing the Janiphagos? So, why is he still a Legionnaire?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#71154 05/27/04 09:26 AM
A
Active
Active
A
well...........

It wasn't bad. It wasn't spectacular.

I guess it was good to see Imra and everyone become more accepting of Garth's new form. Oh wait, no it wasn't. It was repulsive. The whole idea has got to be the worst thing I've ever heard of.

Okay, well, I can't write any more....

#71155 05/27/04 09:30 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
[QB

Nice - and interesting pairings on one of the last pages: Jo & Tinya, Ayla & Jarth, Nura & Tom dancing, Cham & Kinetix, Jaz & Rokk, RJ with Superboy & M'onel, Wildfire & Shikari, XS & Val (?), and Brainy & Lyle.[/QB]
Sadly, Triad is standing all alone in that panel.
Didn't get a word of dialogue all issue either.
Oh well, at least she still has herselves to keep herselves company.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#71156 05/27/04 09:31 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
By the way, isn't killing against the Legion code? Isn't that why Garth resigned before killing the Janiphagos? So, why is he still a Legionnaire?
But he didn't kill Singularity, I take it. He just encased him in crystal.

#71157 05/27/04 09:33 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:

I guess it was good to see Imra and everyone become more accepting of Garth's new form. Oh wait, no it wasn't. It was repulsive. The whole idea has got to be the worst thing I've ever heard of.
Hmm... I would agree that "Jarth"'s acceptance by the other Legionnaires would be much more satisfying if it were actually possible for me to accept his new form, or to thing of him as really "Garth".

#71158 05/27/04 02:07 PM
Reservist
Reservist
One thing I've always wondered since Jarth's debut is how Garth feels about the possibility of using Jan's body to be with Imra. It's gotta creep him out at least a little...or so I would hope, anyway.

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
#71159 05/27/04 02:44 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Pex the Unalive:
One thing I've always wondered since Jarth's debut is how Garth feels about the possibility of using Jan's body to be with Imra. It's gotta creep him out at least a little...or so I would hope, anyway.
I've been thinking about that, too. I look at it this way: it's not really Jan's body per se. The Progenitor's remains consisted of tons of crystalline debris, and Garth grew out of a few small fragments. It's as if he grew out of the Progenitor's toenail or something. A tissue clone, so to speak. The part does not make the whole.

I suspect he sees it much the same way, because it's obvious he considers the body his own now and has no compunction about using it in ways Jan never dreamed of.

#71160 05/27/04 02:48 PM
Leader
Leader
Can Garth actually do it with a crystalline body? Even if he could, wouldn't that be painful for Imra?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#71161 05/27/04 02:53 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Living crystal seems malleable enough. If he can walk, talk, gesture, fly, etc., like most normal humanoids, I assume he can also do, er, other things, too.

If they encounter difficulties, he can turn HER into crystal. smile

Boy, this is a wierd topic.

#71162 05/27/04 04:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
my favourite part was ULTRABOY and SUPERBOY's double punch !!! a nice touch touch to the past !!! if only M'ONEL had been included on it too !!!

Matthew.

#71163 05/27/04 04:43 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Couldn't he become smooth, crystalized glass or diamond, or something to that effect? He'd go down easier that way...hmm, I perhaps should have phrased that differently...

But yeah, my objections aren't so much that it's Jan's body in particular, but that it isn't Garth's body. If you were in a body that wasn't your own, wouldn't you feel a little odd about getting it on with your girl using said body? (I do take your point that perhaps Garth may see the situation differently, though...) smile

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
#71164 05/27/04 05:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Pex the Unalive:

But yeah, my objections aren't so much that it's Jan's body in particular, but that it isn't Garth's body.
or uniform.

#71165 05/27/04 07:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I don't know that I liked the quick turnaround Imra had but I'll put it down to her just being too afraid of losing Garth again. Yeah, that's the ticket.
At least they focused on Imra. For me, the most disappointing thing about the return of "Jarth" was that we didn't see much of how Spark reacted to the whole thing.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#71166 05/27/04 08:08 PM
Substitute
Substitute
It just felt too rushed after all the buildup the Credo got. I don't know if that was due to DnA being forced out early or them just running out of gas, but it felt rushed all the same. I did like the part where Superboy was siging the Teen Titans theme song as he crashed through the ship.

Anyway I still want to thank Andy and Dan for 5 years of great stories, and for bringing the LEgion back form the brink of death that it was on when they took over. Good job guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CreativityKid
CreativityKid
Pawtucket, RI
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star