Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LSH 43 ~~~~~SPOILERS
#71781 07/02/08 03:46 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
The latest issue is finally out.

To me it seemed a little too busy, with lots of jumping around between three locations.

The Legion appears to have fallen into quite a pickle with the UP, SP, Rimborian police, etc.

Not sure what M'Rissey is up to with B5 but it seems to hold the only shred of hope for salvaging what's left of the LSH after the mess that's been created. Wonder if he's working for RJ?

A mysterious time bubble-ish thing appears right in the middle of a huge fight with the Ikkons and wisks away Trips and KK. It seems they go willingly. Odd that it would be these two...the same two that remained in the 21st century for Countdown to Final Crisis. Of course it could also have been a group of Legionnaires seeking recruits for the Lo3W battle with Prime & the LSV but why just those two and not the entire team?

Shooter continues to demonstrate enourmously creative uses for Legionnaires powers although it seems that Cham has gotten quite a power upgrade because of it this issue.

All in all I'm not sure yet if I liked or disliked this issue shrug I'll have to read it again in a few days to see if it all fits better for me.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
Re: LSH 43 ~~~~~SPOILERS
#71782 07/02/08 03:49 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Oh! BTW, it turns out that Jan sleeps in the buff and seems rather unconcerned with nudity among strangers! laugh

#71783 07/02/08 05:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think that's a mischaracterization of Jan by Shooter. Jan is too young, I see him as more of a trap-door long underwear kind of Legionnaire. wink

#71784 07/02/08 05:13 PM
T
Active
Active
T
Originally posted by Vee:
A mysterious time bubble-ish thing appears right in the middle of a huge fight with the Ikkons and wisks away Trips and KK. It seems they go willingly. Odd that it would be these two...the same two that remained in the 21st century for Countdown to Final Crisis.
Oh... no. This could be really bad.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#71785 07/02/08 05:41 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:
A mysterious time bubble-ish thing appears right in the middle of a huge fight with the Ikkons and wisks away Trips and KK. It seems they go willingly. Odd that it would be these two...the same two that remained in the 21st century for Countdown to Final Crisis.
Oh... no. This could be really bad.
Blaargh. I didn't think of that.

By the way, before someone beats me to it: The code ENB-31-87 refers to E. Nelson Bridwell, who was born in 1931 and died in 1987. And Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden were four famous Notre Dame football players of the 1920s, who were collectively known as the Four Horsemen.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#71786 07/02/08 05:50 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yikes. I went to my local CBS today to pick up some books for the week and totally forgot that the Legion came out today. The shop I stopped at is notorious for under ordering. They didn't have any on the shelf. I just signed on here and realized that it came out today. I called another store and asked if they would still have a copy if I come in around noon tomorrow. The owner laughed and said, "I don't see why not. I've haven't sold out on the Legion in over five years". Ouch.

Waid established early in the 3boot that this Jan likes to be naked.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#71787 07/02/08 07:03 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:

By the way, before someone beats me to it: The code ENB-31-87 refers to E. Nelson Bridwell, who was born in 1931 and died in 1987. And Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden were four famous Notre Dame football players of the 1920s, who were collectively known as the Four Horsemen. [/QB]
Wow! Well Done! cool

Should we ask just how you picked up on that so quickly? laugh

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

#71788 07/02/08 07:34 PM
Active
Active
one of my favorite bits was the mini-magno-ball table being repossessed. the first time it was delivered, LL was busy taking comm calls and didn't notice. now he doesn't even notice it being taken away. Symmetry is cool.

and it looks like the LSH will finally be out of that noxious contract. but I must say, for someone that pulled the UP's butt out of the fire, they sure are getting shabby treatment.

#71789 07/02/08 07:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great issue! Great book!

Thanks Jim and Francis!

#71790 07/02/08 08:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I enjoyed this issue too. Lots happening, it was very crowded in terms of events and people.

#71791 07/02/08 09:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I daresay that the folks here who complain about not enough happening in Shooter's run might not have the same complaint for this issue!

Oddly, when I saw the "time bubble" or whatever scene, I first thought of Cos and those folks who recruited him from futher in the future in Waid/Kitson's last issue. I never thought it could be somehow connected to Countdown until I read this thread. I still think I may be right.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#71792 07/02/08 11:04 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I enjoyed this issue but it did seem a bit crammed. Things I noticed this issue:

1) Irma didn't seem herself in this issue - she seemed kinda cold

2) Dreamer!! She was mentioned on the monitor again. When will she be shown?? Hopefully next issue since they want every Legion member back at HQ.

3) Jan - yum!! he looked hot!!I hope this version stays around after L3W

4) Why was everyone so nasty to Invis Kid?? I thought everyone was being a jerk to him.

5) I don't like Shadow Lass' new costume - too retro - I like Waid's version better

6) Nice new uses of peoples' powers

Good issue for characterization but I think the actual story will be quickly forgotten - people will remember the great characterization but not the plot - nothing memorable about the actual story

Is this storyline supposed to continue till end of this year?

#71793 07/03/08 04:06 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Oddly, when I saw the "time bubble" or whatever scene, I first thought of Cos and those folks who recruited him from futher in the future in Waid/Kitson's last issue. I never thought it could be somehow connected to Countdown until I read this thread. I still think I may be right.
I thought about it being the Templar Knights (or whatever they called themselves as well. And I suspect this may actually turn out to be correct. Yet the choice of Lu and Val seems odd and I couldn't help but note the similarity to Countdown.

#71794 07/03/08 04:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I thought about it being the Templar Knights (or whatever they called themselves as well. And I suspect this may actually turn out to be correct. Yet the choice of Lu and Val seems odd and I couldn't help but note the similarity to Countdown.
That is the sort of thing that I have enjoyed about Shooter's run. There are constant thoughtful references to previous details.

#71795 07/03/08 06:05 AM
Deputy
Deputy
My guess is M’Rissey and Brainy are scheming to license the flight ring technology and make the Legion extremely rich overnight.

The time bubble – my first thought was Cos and the Templars too, but it doesn’t make sense. If it was Cosmic Boy, he would have made himself known to KK and Luornu. The guy in the bubble says “We pass this when but once ..” So, whoever they are, they’re strangers to this Legion. A Countdown connection would seem unlikely now that DC has all but swept that series under the rug – but it’s hard to believe this scene is mere coincidence.

I’d read an entire issue full of Jan’s “lucid dreams”. He doesn’t need pharmaceuticals – he’s strange enough without them. I wonder how he’s going to react when he finds out his girlfriends have disappeared? At least he has a pet to keep him company.

Unlike Jan, I *love* space pirates. The action on Velmar (Marvel!?) looks very promising. Ikilles taking down the “Legion’s mad dog” with a single punch – how’s that for proving you’re a force to be reckoned with?

Gizelle is an intergalactic class b!tch. She’d fit in better with the space pirates.

For Garth, the end of the Legion-U.P. alliance is a blessing in disguise, methinks. But he hasn’t hit rock-bottom quite yet. There’s still Saturn Girl to deal with ….

Saturn Girl has sealed her own fate. Only a few hours have gone by since she *swore* to LL not to wantonly mind-tamper and she’s already broken her promise. Pretty sure we’re looking at the beginning of the end of the Legion’s “most enduring relationship”.

Ultra Boy being guilty of “vehicular homicide” is more believable than being framed for a girlfriend’s murder.

Yeah, this issue jumped around to a lot of places, but I liked all the places it went.

#71796 07/03/08 09:18 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh! BTW, it turns out that Jan sleeps in the buff and seems rather unconcerned with nudity among strangers! laugh
Well, this means I'll like the issue sight unseen!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#71797 07/03/08 10:07 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Tromium:
Gizelle is an intergalactic class b!tch. She’d fit in better with the space pirates.
I don't agree. You'll remember that Giselle actually helped the Legionnaires by lying to the cops who were chasing them.

(If you thought that she was actually telling the cops the truth, then I can see why you would think that -- the artwork is slightly ambiguous as to whether the Legionnaires actually did go down the side pipe. But a few pages later, Imra mentions that the Legionnaires lost some of the cops underground.)

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#71798 07/03/08 12:27 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This issue was a mixed bag for me.

I liked that the plot moved along quite a bit in this issue (without the crazy alien attackers even showing up), and the parts with Jan, Tinya and Brainy getting the better of the SPs was great (gee, you don't think Brainy *memorised* all the important data do you? hmmm ).

I didn't like the continued portrayal of Timber Wolf as a total idiot. If all he does is charge in all the time without any thought at all, how the heck could he ever have pulled off any of the stealth missions he ran in the first part of the series? This sudden departure in character really stinks. I don't want an Ultra Boy with claws.

I also don't think as battle crazy as they are, any of the three in T-Wolf's crew would charge in blind.

#71799 07/03/08 06:49 PM
Active
Active
I can't believe that nobody has yet mentioned the continued downhill slide of the artwork. The legionnaire's features look sloppy and rushed. Everything is too dark. Go back and check out the debut issue #37 of Shooter/Manapul/Livesay and notice how crisp and clean and clear the artwork was there.

Something else else has gone wrong the last two issues... not sure what it is.

I enjoyed the story though... but I don't like Trips being taken out of action before we've seen her kick any alien butt. Shooter started off his run by having her trashed physically... on the road to recuperation and then finally recovered and now...
hopefully she will reappear soon.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#71800 07/03/08 07:34 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I think it's telling that half of the Legionnaires that called Imra on tampering with minds have now all-but begged her to tamper with minds, *when it's convenient for them.*

First Brin, now Vi, both originally vehemently against it, now just as passionately arguing for her to muck around in other people's heads.

So far, I'm still enjoying this run, although the thought that Shooter has already gone (been driven off, whatever) kind of puts a damper on it.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#71801 07/03/08 08:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This issue is the perfect antidote for all the "event driven" comics out there right now. The storyline is so focused. The characters are really taking shape. Just about everyone gets some panel time.
I have to disagree with The Man From Cargg on the art. Francis explained here last month what he is trying to accomplish. He is putting more of a focus on stroytelling than posing. It's working for me. The past couple of issues were not quickly drawn. Lots of detail in every panel, and lots of panels. I'm very impressed with the way he is growing as an artist.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#71802 07/03/08 09:20 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
On the plus side - at least we have a cover that accurately reflects what happens inside! wink

Seriously - I didn't get into the book until the midpoint. Until then, I kept getting thrown off - Imra's flip-flopping, Lu's unnecessary snarkiness, the time bubble mystery, Brin's being a dick (granted, that it is his character - it nonetheless was distracting...)

Once Gizelle misdirects the SP, though, it was good, with the HQ scenes stealing the show. Especially enjoyed Tinya and Brainy's scenes.

My only other overall beef is the names. Granted LSH has a history of, shall we say, "interesting" names of characters, but this seemed like Writers 101. Ikilles? Really?

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

#71803 07/04/08 07:32 AM
Active
Active
I totally agreed with The Man From Cargg.
The Manapul's art it's very weak.
The Shady's costume is not the 37's cover, is almost the first Giffen costume of her.
And don't like this Timber Wolf with bare feet and act like a totally idiot.
I only wait The legion Of Three Worlds, and erasure 14 years of bad illusions.

From UK with glamour.
#71804 07/04/08 08:51 AM
Deputy
Deputy
While I enjoyed the issue, I reread everything form the beginning of Shooter's run. it all does make sense, but it's so confusing for people who don't know the series. It's actually surprising for a series with such a lack of history and continuity.

I don't see how they could hope of attracting a new audience with this. frown

And please, could someone give Timber Wolf some boots!!!!!

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#71805 07/04/08 09:36 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Jerry:
I have to disagree with The Man From Cargg on the art. Francis explained here last month what he is trying to accomplish. He is putting more of a focus on stroytelling than posing.
Jerry... I'm not asking for posing so much as the ability to distinguish clearly between Legionnaires... in the first pages of this issue I was having trouble figuring out whether it was IK, TW, KK or even TG doing the talking. This is the first time I've had to rely on the "Invisible Kid - Homeworld Earth" blurbs to figure things out. Everyone had the same blobby face and brown spiked hair.

This current art style is more suited to those noir-ish storylines that Bedard and Calero did.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Lass Girl
Lass Girl
New Jersey
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star