Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Re: Adventure Comics starring the Legion of Super-Heroes
#71978 12/25/08 01:27 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I can't understand why Dan DiDio still has a job. He just has no idea what he's doing.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#71979 12/25/08 09:43 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Wonder Lad:
I'm thinking that the LSH in Adventure delay is due to FC and L3W delays. Adventure is already listed on DC's subscription page, so it seems like its launch is already scheduled. Perhaps the 1st Legion arc in Adventure is dependant on the ends of both FC and L3W and those series won't be finished before Adventure #1 comes out, hence the push back.

On a tangent, one thing I find curious as I get back into regular comic reading after 20 years is the sheerly massive number of issue delays. Back in the day, montly comics came out MONTHLY like clockwork. There was none of this "oh, we're not putting it out this month because it's not ready". Well, geez, people. It's called a schedule and they're called deadlines. In any other business, if you can't meet your deadlines, you don't have a job. Someone needs to start cracking the whip on these people.
1. Have TPTB said what is "replacing" the LSH in the first Adventure Comics arc?

2. One of the things that I think explains the low number of comics sold each month compared to 20 years ago is that so many books do not come out on schedule, ie., still waiting for the last issue of 'Planetary'. At some point most reasonable people will find something more reliable on which to spend their entertainment money.

So what.
#71980 12/26/08 11:24 AM
W
Applicant
Applicant
W
Yeah, in me re-familiarization with the world of comics, I quickly starting to believe that *nothing* comes out on time. When I was actively reading 20someodd years ago, a monthly book came out like clockwork. There was never a delay (that I can remember or was aware of) with COIE or any other series. What's so hard about having a deadline and sticking to it? Maybe they should worry less about umpteenbillion variant covers (something that I don't think ever happened way back when) and worry about getting the actual books out on time. Out in the regular business world, if someone kept missing their deadlines, they wouldn't have a job for very long.

#71981 12/26/08 12:36 PM
Substitute
Substitute
The main problem both companys have these days is that neither can do a big event book right and it keeps messing up the rest of the line. Either they have slow artist or writers or they start making changes in the end which throws everything off kilter.

That and the fact the Didiot is just about the worse EIC from any company I have ever seen. He just has no idea what he is doing.

#71982 12/26/08 03:32 PM
Deputy
Deputy
The sollicits for Lo3W #5 do say that the story sets up everything for Adventure Comics #1

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#71983 12/26/08 04:43 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Pariscub:
The solicits for Lo3W #5 do say that the story sets up everything for Adventure Comics #1
I wonder if those solicits were written before Didio decided that Adventure #1 would be Legion-less?

Or is this more Didio-speak for, 'Since Prime is dismembering the majority of the Legion in his bloody climactic rampage in Lo3W #5, this nicely sets up Adventure #1 to not have any Legionnaires in it...'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#71984 12/26/08 05:23 PM
Active
Active
I guess Adventure #1 will be about a new hero called "Didioman". This super new superhero will be working as a misunderstood newspaper editor - let's call him Dan - on daytimes, trying to fix things that have gone wrong on his newspaper for years.

But in the nights, Didioman is creeping out of his cradle and wrecks everything that Dan tried to fix over the day - and some more, so every morning Dan wakes up, everything is even worse than the day before, and he just can't make out why!!!

This will be a very tragic storyline written by fan favorites like Judd Winnick or McDuffie. Maybe some fantastic artwork by Bill Jaaska or Benitez from Titans. Sales will probably start high cause a #1 issue is always worth its weight in gold and go down quickly.

At #7 the Legion sixparter will start, but sales have already floundered so badly that a cancellation is due to #10. So the writer has to cut back his story into four issues. The new Adventure Comics will be cancelled, and TPTB will come to the conclusion:

The Legion just doesn't sell. Reboot them. This time, try them as Legion babies... frown

#71985 12/27/08 05:35 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Or release an All-Star Legion series written by Frank Miller in which they're all sex-crazed maniacs and they talk for 5 issues in the Legion cruiser...

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#71986 12/27/08 10:38 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Isn't that the Howard Chaykin version ? tongue

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#71987 12/27/08 11:18 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
in the Chaykin version there's more types of oral activity than just talking.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#71988 12/27/08 11:20 AM
Y'know, we should really stop giving DC ideas.

[forehead, meet keyboard]

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#71989 12/27/08 02:02 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Wonder Lad:
Yeah, in me re-familiarization with the world of comics, I quickly starting to believe that *nothing* comes out on time. When I was actively reading 20someodd years ago, a monthly book came out like clockwork. There was never a delay (that I can remember or was aware of) with COIE or any other series. What's so hard about having a deadline and sticking to it?
while i'm not necessarily remembering delays with miniseries back in the day (though i'm certain this did happen occasionally), there were certainly lots of issues related to deadlines - the difference within the past 20+ years or so is that comics are now very rarely done-in-ones as they were in the past. When the "Dreaded Deadline Doom" came up for the series regular creators in the early to mid 1980s (and before), an editor would stick in a standalone fill-in issue and still ship an issue on time. But do that today to meet a shipping deadline, and beside interrupting a 6 part story arc, and pissing off the readers, the publisher would also have to accept returns because the contents wouldn't be by the same creators or feature the same story as originally solicited. Delays are annoying, but I'd rather see a quality product rather than some lame inconsequential story that's been sitting in an editors desk collecting dust for months.

#71990 01/21/09 01:59 AM
Active
Active
The credits for the "Origin and Omens" backup tale named:

* Adventures Comics #0, written by Geoff Johns with art by Francis Manapul.

Johns was obvious, FM returning is a unexpected surprise.

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#71991 01/22/09 05:13 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Geoff Johns seems very involved with the Legion with Lo3W, Superman: Secret Origins (right title?) where the Legion gets tied back to the Superman mythos...and now this.

Maybe a Johns-penned Legion series may not be too far-off...?

Igee The Mighty!
#71992 01/22/09 09:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Francis! That makes me extremely happy!

#71993 01/23/09 03:32 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Yeah me too! He was the saving grace for me on the threeboot--I'd love it if he stayed involved with the Legion in whatever form its in.

#71994 01/28/09 05:09 PM
Active
Active
In this week's DC Nation Didio is pushing the Omens and Origins event in February as important to showing and explaining some of the changes wrought by Final Crisis. He has a checklist of all the Omens and Origins titles and goes out of his way to reccomend Adventure Comics #0 if you want a "real big surprise".

Hmmm...any word on that January Superman trial? Superboy(the current Superman as a boy) is going to be appearing in a new(or at least a modern retelling) DC story for the first time in a looooong time.

And I notice the DC has finally given us an approximation of when the final issues of LO3W will be coming out(end of March).

Or maybe it could just be they are going to announce that Geoff Johns is the new Legion writer. I notice he's added an "Adventure Comics starting in 2009" to his Legion of 3 Worlds subforum at the Comic Bloc. I don't think he'd add that title to that subforum if it wasn't going to be an ongoing gig for him....as he tends to only have titles he is writing listed in his forums.

#71995 01/28/09 07:38 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Superboy:
In this week's DC Nation Didio is pushing the Omens and Origins event in February as important to showing and explaining some of the changes wrought by Final Crisis. He has a checklist of all the Omens and Origins titles and goes out of his way to reccomend Adventure Comics #0 if you want a "real big surprise".

Hmmm...any word on that January Superman trial? Superboy(the current Superman as a boy) is going to be appearing in a new(or at least a modern retelling) DC story for the first time in a looooong time.

And I notice the DC has finally given us an approximation of when the final issues of LO3W will be coming out(end of March).

Or maybe it could just be they are going to announce that Geoff Johns is the new Legion writer. I notice he's added an "Adventure Comics starting in 2009" to his Legion of 3 Worlds subforum at the Comic Bloc. I don't think he'd add that title to that subforum if it wasn't going to be an ongoing gig for him....as he tends to only have titles he is writing listed in his forums.
The Superman trial is again postponed. And it's just that Geoff is (yawn) writing the story. It's so obvious that Dan Didio trusts Johns to solve every single hack job of mismanaging properties that he can ruin every single thing (LSH #50) just to prove his point.

#71996 01/28/09 07:55 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ricardo:
The Superman trial is again postponed.
Or they reached a working agreement with the family and are keeping it under wraps. I do notice Final Crisis number 3 got a substantial move up in release, with all Perez art...those flexible delays I was talking about earlier when people were saying it is Johns and Perez behind the delays are amazing are they not?

And it's just that Geoff is (yawn) writing the story.
And on this my dear Ricardo...I must disagree 100%. Geoff Johns is extremely exclusive with which titles go under his name at the Comic Bloc and which ones don't. He might put a co-creator on the same character under his name if it's a story or character he has extensive control over and that's about it. You notice there's a not a one that he's not writing under his name there right now and he makes it clear when his last issue of JSA will be in the forum header.

He doesn't say Adventure Comics #0...he says Adventure Comics coming in 2009.

I mean why would he make it look like he's going to write Adventure at his forums when he's not...it's not like it's going to help sales given the traffic at that forum, all it does is hurt his credibility, and rep if it turns out to be crap.

So I'm gonna disagree and say he will be the new writer for the Legion. I don't think he'd have the title included that way in his forums if it was just one issue or something he wasn't closely affiliated with.

And he doesn't put one shots there either...there is no Solomon Grundy forum there.

To tie it all together...I think Johns was waiting to see if he could write Superman/boy and the Legion, the only version he said he wanted to write(and wisely so based on the fan thrashing every other creator has gotten that has tried to do it otherwise) before commiting to it...and I think that announcement is forthcoming.

It's so obvious that Dan Didio trusts Johns to solve every single hack job of mismanaging properties that he can ruin every single thing (LSH #50) just to prove his point. [/QB]
Well, yeah plus he sells well most of the time. If he didn't sell it wouldn't matter.

60,000 > 22,000

#71997 01/28/09 09:24 PM
Active
Active
Superboy, Johns IS writing ADV #0. So everything you said is a moot point at this time. It's clear that Dan will wait for whatever time he needs just to get him to relaunch the Legion.
As for sales figures, it doesn't really matter at this point. It's clear that Shooter's fate was decided when, at the very first issue of his run, he was trampled by something called The Lightning Saga (probably one of the worst Legion stories ever) and later by Legion of 3 Worlds.

#71998 02/01/09 04:54 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:

I'm happy so the Legion will have his own book again! i just hope the new AC will feature the action comics Legion and not that awful reboot...
I agree. I grew up reading the Cockrum, then Grell and then Sherman/Nasser LSH, that's the one I love and miss. That's part of the reason I've not been around here at all in the past couple of years. I just lost interest. It wasn't that the storytelling and visuals were bad, they were fine but it wasn't the Legion I knew and loved. It was like an alternate universe of sorts. This is an opportunity for DC to make this all right again, hope they follow through.

I'll put it this way. Why in the heck do they think that rewriting origins, changing costumes or even skin colors of well loved icons is going to boost sales?? Besides varying degrees of costume upgrades Supes, Bats and WW are basically the same and are still popular.

I do know that the LSH at times have gotten the raw end of the deal with writers and artists that have come on board with either no interest (just a job) which was very much reflected in the story telling and visuals. Others have come in with the INTENTION of making them great but their vision was not up to par with the fan base expectations. Then imaginative folks like Barry come in and try to change things up to make it more exciting but in the long run ... we miss the originals and who could blame us??

How many times can your retell the same story and keep it exciting?? Well I'm 48, I've been reading and collecting since I was 9 years old, so about 40 years and I've seen the same story retold over and over and over again in books like the JLA, X-Men, Avengers ...... on and on and on. If there are strong artists and writers that are good wordsmiths with vision then they could take the entire run of Adventure Comics, revamp them for todays readership, new art and digital color effects and have some darned good books that would sell just fine.

Just sayin'.....

Cham

---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---
#71999 02/01/09 05:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Good to see you again CB!

#72000 02/01/09 06:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Welcome back, Cham!

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#72001 02/04/09 12:45 AM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
just wanted to remind everyone the book will be out tomorrow! I think you guys might be pleasantly surprised!

#72002 02/04/09 01:02 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by fjm:
just wanted to remind everyone the book will be out tomorrow! I think you guys might be pleasantly surprised!
Thanks for the reminder, hope your right about the pleasantly surprised part. I definently am looking forward to it. Thanks again for your efforts on the series.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Policy Pam
Policy Pam
Tartarus
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star