Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How did the LSH get the reputation of having a larger than average % of gay fans?
#75092 08/03/09 08:44 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
(snip)

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stealth:
<strong>

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by cleome:
<strong> (Which reminds me: I know a thread that needs a good nod Add something to it and see if it improves your odds w/"Rose."

[Jewish Mom Mode:] What could it hurt? [/Jewish Mom Mode]

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Re: How did the LSH get the reputation of having a larger than average % of gay fans?
#75093 04/28/10 03:08 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M

#75094 04/28/10 10:43 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Thanks for sharing!!

#75095 04/29/10 01:59 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Another insightful post, Matthew!

I agree that Jan's comment about being "out of his element" with girls probably meant he was shy or just not "into" girls yet. (People mature at different rates, after all.) Then again, he was so devoted to the Legion as his family that he may have chosen deliberately to forego other relationships. I read something recently that argued that people who have a vocational calling should not marry because marriage can be a distraction (e.g., the rationale behind priests and nuns not marrying). I don't necessarily agree with that argument, but Jan's philosophy may have been similar.

I have no problem with Jan being gay or spiritual (or both), but I think both ideas developed because creators (and some fans) had ill-informed or stereotypical ideas about them.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#75096 04/30/10 06:48 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Jan is the ultimate case of PTSD, as well.

Regardless of how well-adjusted he *appears,* he was a youth when his entire race was killed, and he could never 'go home again,' save to a planet that was one massive graveyard.

He might simply have taken longer to fall into a relationship, because he wasn't done grieving, and wasn't ready to be happy yet, to move past the death and start concentrating on life.

No matter how similar to a human he is, he isn't one, and not even Kal-El, a fellow sole survivor (for the most part, not counting Kara, the Kandorians, Krypto, etc.), doesn't know what it's like to lose the only family and culture and home he's ever known, as the 'family' and culture and home that Kal-El grew up knowing and living amongst are on Earth, and, more or less, still alive.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#75097 05/02/10 05:51 PM
He could've been bi, as well. Despite TV Tropes' assertion that bisexuals don't exist (unless it's Law & Order and there aren't any BDSM practitioners to serve as psycho-killer of the week, of course).

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#75098 05/02/10 11:29 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
As I've said in the past, I've always thought the "out of my element" comment was pretty goofy evidence for his being gay, especially when he says something later on in the story to the effect that he hopes the girls are serious next time. I've always thought it was pretty clear that all he means is that he's not particularly experience in romance, but he's willing to give it a try.

I totally buy that Lyle has a crush on Jan in his first appearance, however.

#75099 05/27/10 04:13 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
re: the Legion having a larger % of gay fans.
It's true!! The Levitz signing was like happy hour at the Fuzzy Nipple!!
Oh, wait. That's where I was after the signing!

#75100 05/27/10 09:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
DAMN IT ALL, wish I had been there too!

The fun we would have had, the charges that would have been brought up against us, the fines we would have paid... *dreamy sigh*

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#75101 05/29/10 08:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lash, you should totally come to NYC and do your own signing! You could hang out at Rhino's bar and I'd line up and have you sign my Legion comics. People would think you're a big time celebrity!

#75102 05/29/10 08:28 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
[Linked Image]

#75103 05/29/10 09:05 PM
I would put my arm in a fake cast and dress up as a dude just so I could get LASH to "sign me"!

#75104 06/01/10 10:41 AM
Active
Active
But everyone knows the Greek gods are gay.

Not certain about the Norse gods, though.
speaking of I didnt know Zeus went both ways till i was an adult...Gaymeade anyone (or some spelling like that)

Bring back the super-cousins
#75105 06/01/10 08:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by cleome:
Originally posted by Set:
[b]
Originally posted by cleome:
[b] But, Set, the really big question is: Are you now wearing or have you ever worn the color pink? wink
I wore pink underwear for a week once, after washing something red with my whites. Does that count? [/b]
Laundry accidents get a special exemption. If memory serves, so do Preppies. Lisa Bernbach herself said that it's perfectly routine for Preppy men to wear pink, and that it always has been. [/b]
You guys crack me up for real.

I'm ashamed to say that in the eighties I made the mistake of buying a pink sweater, just because it was trendy back then .....
...ummmm yeah, no!

What a crazy decade that was.

#75106 06/02/10 10:07 AM
Dude, you could totally dress up as Cosmic Boy on Halloween! You just need a few cut-out paper circles and a bit of tape! Maybe you could carve some styrofoam to make the shoulder-enhancement things...

CosmicBoy

#75107 06/02/10 04:32 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by future king:
I'm ashamed to say that in the eighties I made the mistake of buying a pink sweater, just because it was trendy back then .....
...ummmm yeah, no!
The list of 'acceptable' colors loses a few shades every year.

In a few decades, a collection of straight white guys is gonna look like an Amish Undertaker's Convention, all swathed in black, squinting at each other for any signs of deviance...

The song says, 'all the girls were there, dressed up for each other.' That's pretty the same for boys. We sure as hell don't dress in boring blacks and browns to impress the gender that can see 40,000 subtle shades of color, now do we?

It's all about the purity police, who taught us in high school that improper behavior will be punished with public mocking and the occasional beating.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#75108 06/02/10 05:33 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Pink was considered a perfectly masculine thing to wear up until the early '60s anyway. Example: Elvis.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star