Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Legion of Super-heroes 47 ~~ SPOILERS ~~
#75308 11/03/08 04:58 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Waid's Dream Girl would have fought off the Brainy neurosis demon's single handedly, chewed Brainy out for not controlling them, and them sealed her dominance with some pity-sex.
You know what? You're right, she would have. Well put.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#75309 11/03/08 05:52 PM
Substitute
Substitute

Finally, the portrayal of Dream Girl in this issue was perhaps the worst I have EVER read. It makes the Silver Age stories look like radical feminist agit-prop. Waid's Dream Girl was one of THE highlights of the 3Boot. Here, she's a swooning, simpering, long-suffering, stand-by-her manbot kinda gal and it makes me want to puke (Oops, second time I've written that). Waid's Dream Girl would have fought off the Brainy neurosis demon's single handedly, chewed Brainy out for not controlling them, and them sealed her dominance with some pity-sex. Shooter destroyed the character.

A rushed, slap-dash, half-ass job, this.
Agreed - the 3Boot Nura is what got me interested in the Legion in the first place. The 3Boot Nura was confident, flirty and kicked a$$.

The Nura in #47 was nothing like that.....those lame demons beat the crap out of her. I would almost rather not have had this issue so I could remember Nura like she was.

This was one of the most disappointing Legion issues ever.

And art was one of the worst also. Sloppy....just sloppy. Sometimes the characters didn't even have eyes! Ugg

#75310 11/03/08 05:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
. . . This will be the second Legion series in the last decade to end with a Legionnaire-turned-villain. Please may it be the last time we see this trope.

. . . Waid's Dream Girl was one of THE highlights of the 3Boot.
I think this was the third time ~ Zero Hour had Cosmic Boy surprise us by becoming the Time Trapper.

Waid's Dream Girl ~ is he the one who finished 3boot after DnA left?!
Well, he certainly took a pretty miserable character, imo, and made her a star!
A precog with mostly short term predictions SHOULD make an incredible fighter AND if he/she has the talent and training, an amazing leader.
I miss that Dream Girl like I've never missed any of her other incarnations.

Originally, I thought Waid was preparing THIS Nura to become the new Time Trapper.
A precog moves in the time Stream differently than most of us, anyway, so moving through/manipulating time could be a natural progression.
That and Nura has been connected to 'the Dreaming', as late as Geoff Johns current story.

I've said this somewhere before, I think, but I've seen the current situation with Brainy and Nura to be caused not by a ghost but by Brainy's imprinting her entire brain patterning into his own brain.
He unsuccessfully tried to transfer her 'imprint' back into her stasis preserved body to reboot her.
Since the process failed, he was stuck with a whole extra person in his head ~ maybe the only being capable of such a thing.
That would make him a uniquely dual personality, two complete minds in one body rather than ghost or guilt ridden.

Then, after a time, Nura's body, which had just vanished, would comeback from wherever, powered up with Cosmic power (rather like that Forever Man villian from the Silver Age?), tear her personality out of Brainy and go crazy ~ Trapper style.

But then, I liked Lori Morning because I knew she was going to grow up to become Glorith ~ the Time Trapper!

I wouldn't have minded Nura becoming a villian, for some reason, although, I hated Coz becoming the Trapper and EL becoming the Progenitor.

Anyway, I hope and trust that DC has something planned for the Legion this next year!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#75311 11/04/08 07:42 AM
Deputy
Deputy
You're right Candle. I'd blotted that ending out of my conscious memory (although Cos did have a "good" reason for becoming an arch-villain, right?).

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#75312 11/04/08 08:06 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Just read the latest. It was pretty terrible. Worst of the entire threeboot so far.

#75313 11/04/08 05:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You're right Candle. I'd blotted that ending out of my conscious memory (although Cos did have a "good" reason for becoming an arch-villain, right?).
Yah, he read too many books!
lol

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#75314 11/05/08 06:58 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Here is a beautiful recolored version of this issue's cover. Dream Girl looks very nice colored this way.

http://mbirkhofer.deviantart.com/art/Legion-of-Superheroes-98040481

#75315 11/07/08 01:08 PM
Honorary
Honorary
This was a pretty weak issue.
And the art was weak I have enjoyed Leonardi at times in the past but what were we looking at on page 17 (I think) when Projectra seems to be freeing some things. And who was looking at her on the second to last panel on that page. It made no sense. I think I figured it out but yeash!
Here's hoping for a return to form when Manapul returns.

There is no better Super Hero group to have ever been in comics than the Legion of Super Heroes.
#75316 11/07/08 11:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I can't stand what's going on!

Especially to Dream Girl.

I'm glad there are only 3 more issues.

BTW Jim Shooter, it's not because of Manapul's weak storytelling.

#75317 11/12/08 05:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just read it ~

How does Nura know her powers are gone forever?
And what happened to Meander?
Just to ask a few of my many questions.

The art was okay, I guess, but the story didn't make much sense, to me, and Nura herself was kind of creepy/clingy/clueless (0hhhh, it's really snowing in there.)

I think Shooter just 'phoned-in' the story, sort of revenging himself on DC!
Shooter's become the villian to the Legion the way that his Projectra has.
:rolleyes:

I'm afraid I long for Sneckie/Naga and General Nura!
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#75318 11/12/08 09:49 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
I can't stand what's going on!

He never said that, it is very unfair to even consider Shooter blamed Manapul for anything. In fact, he said that whoever had to be blamed on the results of this run it would be himself.

And I still think this is by far the best Legion run since TMK. Given time, it will be reappreciated.

#75319 11/14/08 03:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Ricardo:
[b] I can't stand what's going on!

He never said that, it is very unfair to even consider Shooter blamed Manapul for anything. In fact, he said that whoever had to be blamed on the results of this run it would be himself.

And I still think this is by far the best Legion run since TMK. Given time, it will be reappreciated.[/b]
Quote: "We blew it," Shooter confessed.

And he did go on and on about Manapul and grokking or not grokking storytelling.

He went on to talk about the production quality of the book colors, covers, yada yada yada.
Yeah, he did blame himself too, and I agree.

No one but Jim Shooter made Dream Girl into a dingaling who loves the snow globe and the pretty ring and doesn't want to do anything but marry Brainy, after getting her face beat in. Shooter did that.

No one but Shooter decided to have Phantom Girl go all around the hq acting like the baby Berenstein bear, looking for someone to help her figure out what to do about weird ol' Projectra. Preboot Phantom Girl would have dived right in and busted Jecky's gang. You might reply, "this isn't preboot Tinya." I'd say, "Nope. Sure isn't! Not even close"

No one but Shooter decided to make Projectra all twisted and bitter and evil and vengeful, albeit drugged or hypnotized or what have you.

No one but Shooter decided to show Saturn Girl as unwilling to participate in a crisis because she's tired. To be disloyal (to Garth). To be unwilling to help Phantom Girl deal with Projectra because she's unwilling to deal with Garth! This is supposed to be SATURN GIRL! Not some wimpy, lame chick trying to find her way in the big bad universe. Bleh!

No one but Shooter decided to make Light Lass into the prospective victim of pirate rape.

These developments have all been shown amongst a long, drawn out plot that I got bored with less than halfway through. Therefore, I cannot agree with this being the best Legion run since TMK. Trouble is, Waid's run was similar in that new and different Legionnaire character treatments were happening during a long, drawn out plot. I think that this whole era will go down as regrettable and forgettable. The art was pretty decent, from Kitson and Manapul, though. Manapul was more stlyish, for sure. Kitson had a cleaner, more detailed style.

I am critiquing the writers now, yes. I suppose I should also put some blame for my distaste for this run on the editor(s), too. I will agree with Shooter that there were an awful lot of coloring errors that were troublesome.

I'll buy the remaining issues of this series, under protest. I mean, I was patient while others around here were freaking out. I'm fed up now, too, but I can't drop the book.

#75320 11/14/08 06:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
. . . And I still think this is by far the best Legion run since TMK. Given time, it will be reappreciated.
You're kidding, right?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#75321 11/14/08 08:14 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Candle:
[b]. . . And I still think this is by far the best Legion run since TMK. Given time, it will be reappreciated.
You're kidding, right? [/b]
Different people have different tastes. I've found Shooters early run (if not this last issue) to be the best Legion stuff I've read since Lightle was drawing the team back in the Baxter era.

Other people don't like it and never will.

Neither side is 'wrong.'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#75322 11/14/08 10:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So many Legion eras, so many opinions about them, and I'm usually really tolerant. There are only a handful of things that have been published over the past 50 years that really irk me. I'm actually saddened by the fact that the most recent offering has disturbed me the most, but that's because I'm a major Dream Girl fan.

I do wonder if there can be some kind of turn-around before the series ends.

#75323 11/16/08 02:58 PM
Active
Active

No one but Shooter decided to show Saturn Girl as unwilling to participate in a crisis because she's tired. To be disloyal (to Garth). To be unwilling to help Phantom Girl deal with Projectra because she's unwilling to deal with Garth! This is supposed to be SATURN GIRL! Not some wimpy, lame chick trying to find her way in the big bad universe. Bleh![/QB]
Been suspecting that Saturn Girl is not avoiding Garth so much as she is avoiding the President. Her mother relayed details of the current administration that Imra only told Brainy--not Garth directly. Perhaps the President is a telepath (or has one close at hand). Notice that Imra did not refuse an overtly dangerous mission, but merely to be in the same room with the new President, as not to tip her hand that she knows something is not quite right with Kissenbach, and may be reluctantly driving Garth away to dangle Lightning Lad as "bait" in a trap she and her mother could be devising...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#75324 11/18/08 03:03 AM
Active
Active
oh korbal. i might be wrong but so far, nothing shooter has done has been that complex. at all. all the complexity i've seen has come from very hopeful fan suggestions that are a million times more creative and interesting. note the rampant hope that dream girl might just be all in Querl's head.

#75325 11/18/08 03:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A Kiensbach plot would be a great dark twist, using Garth as bait - perhaps too complex to resolve well within the remaining issues and it would probably destroy forever any hopes of a Garth-Imra relationship. A moot point, since the series is a dead end.

I was thinking that maybe Shooter is using Dream Girl as his own symbol - not for the slavish devotion to Brainy, but for the savage blinding; perhaps that's how he feels after getting his series axed.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#75326 11/18/08 05:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Set:
[b]
[b]. . . And I still think this is by far the best Legion run since TMK. Given time, it will be reappreciated.
Different people have different tastes. I've found Shooters early run (if not this last issue) to be the best Legion stuff I've read since Lightle was drawing the team back in the Baxter era.

Neither side is 'wrong.' [/b]
I didn't say he was wrong.
I just thought he must be kidding.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#75327 11/18/08 08:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Set:
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ricardo:
<strong>. . . And I still think this is by far the best Legion run since TMK. Given time, it will be reappreciated.

Neither side is 'wrong.' [/b]
I didn't say he was wrong.
I just thought he must be kidding. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then I'd be near kidding. There could be some sub-plots that get resolved in an issue of two but in this short run I've not met more new characters of interest to me since,,, TMK. The Sci-Fi, based upon my science and engineering background is a bit better than DNA's and then it would have to go as far back as TMK. Established characters are being developed as well as any era IMO, even if those developments are not to some likings.

On another thread I wrote about how I can stare at Manipul's panels for hours because there's so much story there, so much that makes me think about who the characters are and where they live. Now we've seen that Shooter is VERY hands-on. Manipul is doing the drawing but we know much of the detail and even the camera angles have input from Jim Shooter.

EVERY issue in the entire history of LSH could be nitpicked to death and we have. IMO Shooter's issues stand up well. Because of the lengt of the story, I don't feel we're in the position yet to come to final judgement even on character developments and we also know that outside forces are complicating as they haven't since Byrne.

Who would want to be the writer under those conditions?

#75328 11/19/08 06:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#75329 11/20/08 03:54 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The secondary characters are the ones I've found most interesting, at least for their potential, and I'm sorry they probably won't be seen again. Madame Mirage, Kn'thea Kieselbach, Nimra Lafong, Saturn Mom (who was a Waid creation), the odious Zilya Popoff, the Doopans and M'rrissey.

The UPYH were sort of clownish, like the original Subs, but they too held promise.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#75330 11/20/08 01:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I still kind of miss the girl with the sensor-pods growing out of her back from the Waid run. She was really the only Waid-creation that worked for me.

I liked Gazelle better when she looked more alien, back in the first two issues of her introduction. Since she's become just another human, she leaves me cold.

I kinda liked the UPYH when they were introduced, but they've been left fallow long enough (and their artistic portrayal has changed enough) that I've pretty much lost interest.

#75331 11/20/08 05:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I kind of find Gazelle's power base to be to limiting.
The close-to-death/need-to-eat thing happened twice, didn't it?
I think that pretty much puts her in the 'SUB' category.

I don't remember who's in the HPYH, really.

But, I certainly want more aliens in the Legion!
That desire is one of the reasons I liked Shikari and Gates so much (I was disappointed that Lumin didn't join and that little Seizmic joined with the Prime group.)

Tellus was great, too, even though he was shown to be from human descent thanks to the Dominators.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#75332 11/25/08 01:07 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
[QB] I kind of find Gazelle's power base to be to limiting.
The close-to-death/need-to-eat thing happened twice, didn't it?
Girl needs to carry a bandolier of candy bars.

At least until Brainy can make her a bracelet that injects her with high-energy solution when she pushes the button (or, better yet, is automated and doses her up whenever she's about to crash).

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,114
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star