Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:33 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legion of Super-Heroes 37(Spoilers)
#76037 12/28/07 05:19 PM
wamu2 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
good issue. lot's of plot points touched upon. and I enjoyed the art. now if only Karate Kid would lay off the juice and all would be right with the world. last time I a crack about his bulk. honest. smile

- Karate Kid needs to reclaim his calm center. there was no need to destroy that poor robot that was inspecting the building. no wonder the robots rebelled.

-Lighting Lad needs a second in command. being a leader doesn't mean answering every phone,huh.. video call that comes your way. if anything he should form some kind of executive committee.

-Triton teens; nice to see that in the future total loser ****heads are alive and kicking those they don't like. nice rescue by Lyle.

Winch Boone- even in the future profits will win out over common sense or the welfare of others.

Phantom Girl- not sure about her apartment scene. for a second there I thought maybe a Witchblade page had been pasted in by mistake. smile

transmatter- I guess after Lemnos, and the robot/alien attack the transmatter system is still not back to full strength.

Projectra- wow, you would think she has nothing to be proud of other than being wealthy and powerful. since we are going to Orando soon, I guess we will see her come to grips with losing everything, or has she?

I will think of other stuff, but as a first issue it's good.

Re: Legion of Super-Heroes 37(Spoilers)
#76038 12/28/07 07:17 PM
T
Honorary
Honorary
T
I liked Shooter's "relaunch" more than I expected and gave it a full review on my blog:

http://geniusboyfiremelon.blogspot.com/2007/12/legion-of-super-heroes-37-review.html

#76039 12/28/07 08:07 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I'm loving it.

A very nice bit of interaction between Garth and Ayla, considering in the last 36 issues their 'interaction' consisted of Ayla referring to him as a jerk. I definitely approve of more of a supportive / twin vibe to their relationship.

The Legion could definitely use an organizational leader to handle all of this government nonsense (I'd nominate Theena for that, if I didn't actually like her!).

And a teleporter. And severing ties with the UP/SPs, again, perhaps...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#76040 12/28/07 09:25 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I liked this issue a lot. This gives me great hope that Shooter can actually salvage the good parts of Waid's version of the LSH and move it along to a much better place.

The new logo is great. it has echoes of some of the past logos, and conveys enough futurism and modernism to combat the deliberately retro look of the Waid series' previous logo.

It's hard to get a good sense of the antagonists (the creepy monster things) at this early stage, so I'm reserving judgement on this aspect. At the very least, it allows for some action scenes.

I love the scenes with Garth and the mission monitor board, and especially his interaction with Ayla. I agree he needs an assistant (major domo Computo, maybe?), but I like Garth being over his head and screwing up - at least in the beginning of his tenure and while the UP is in relative disarray.

I'm glad Projectra is getting some development and a chance to show off the effectiveness of her abilities. I still think that the character was her most effective as Sensor Girl, when people she was facing didn't know what her abilities were, and while I don't see this version developing into that, as long as Shooter continues to treat her abilities as genuinely effective and disorienting, I'll be happy.

I also enjoyed the little sight gags and side jokes - the magno ball delivery bot, Tinya's framed copies of Action Comics #1 - and use of some established (if little seen) supporting characters, like Lyle's dad and Imra's mom.

I'm always much more into the writing than the art -that said, I do like the artwork here - I like the energy. Kitson was a good artist, but a bit too static for my tastes. This art does a good job of conveying action and movement, but is also fine for the quieter character moments.

But what I liked the best is that Shooter is demonstrating how the LSH should be handled - lots of different subteams on missions all over the UP, individual character subplots, characterization - since the first Waid reboot, this has been sorely lacking, with writers instead focused on stories featuring the entire cast against some giant threat. yes, that should happen, but only occasionally, so that there is some impact when the team has to come together for a big fight. This issue is paced like the best of Levitz, and I hope that it continues like this.

I have to admit I was suckered into thinking that the genetic anomaly Tritonian was being telegraphed as a new recruit. Maybe she still could be if she isn't quite as dead as Lyle assumes. If so, I'm glad she's somewhat alien looking, but it is weird that she is more or less Caucasian-hued. And while I would have rather have seen Lyle swooning over some male Tritonian, it's nice to see more attempts to give these characters some individuation - so sorely lacking for so many of them after 3 years...

Speaking of new recruits, i am so excited to see who the "pre-approved candidates" are.

For me the fact that I am really eager to see the next issue is really telling - I haven't felt like this since the first issues of this series, before Waid's stories just got so static. I really wish this series was biweekly...

#76041 12/28/07 09:51 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Jo Nah TMK:

Speaking of new recruits, i am so excited to see who the "pre-approved candidates" are.

Since I can't get the new issue for a week or so could you give me the run down on who the pre-approved are?

#76042 12/28/07 09:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
They are only mentioned and never appear. There are seven of them and they are at "the door" as a cliff-hanger on the last page.

I'm looking forward to where Shooter and Manapul are taking this series.

#76043 12/28/07 09:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Thanks NC. Man Shooter would get a total free pass for anything I might not like about his run for the first year if two of those 7 are Wildfire and Blok.

#76044 12/28/07 10:29 PM
Active
Active
I think there's more going on in this issue than the first 6 issues of WAKs run.

Ditto what NC said.

#76045 12/29/07 02:12 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I liked a lot of what Shooter gave us here. The multi-developing storylines, a lot of info on who Shooter thinks each character is in very little time (I'd rather see KK with a little more of his previous mental discipline - less with the 'roid rage)

The art's pretty good so far. FJM doesn't disappoint with the action dynamism and the characters all look attractive and I appreciate the lighter tone. I'm not totally convinced how he is at the emotional stuff yet, but I'm sure we'll get a lot more of that when we follow Projectra's story.

The villains /mosters look "cool" - very reminiscient of the "Sammy's" from the Hellboy movie, which makes me think they're more weapons than sentient. I would hope there's a villain behind it (someone a little less faceless than DnA's "borg of the month")

... but where's WILDFIRE?!?

#76046 12/29/07 05:54 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I wonder if any of these new recruits might turn out to be familiar faces...

Heck, at this point, I'd be happy to see the Fatal Five sneak onto the team as 'pre-approved candidates!'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#76047 12/29/07 08:20 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
An excellent first issue for Mr. Shooter and company! #37 really set the tone for the Legion going forward I think.... it's a bit more up beat and has an easier-to-follow tempo to it. All things I have come to expect from Jim's fine writing. We got some good character moments from Garth, Tinya, Val, Ayla, Imra and Jeckie. The artwork was good (although a bit too cartoony at times). I think the "cleaner" lines are what the majority of the fans have come to expect from the Legion universe, and this installment doesn't disappoint.
I can't wait to see how things turn out for Saturn Girl and her team next issue!

#76048 12/29/07 08:30 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thank Space, Shooter's here at last! The 3boot, after a nice CPR effort by B&C, is showing signs of life!

I like a lot:

The art. Flashiest, splashiest art since Coipel. BETTER than Coipel, even. Better than the cover art suggests, even. This is definitely gonna attract some attention. Just amazing.

The "pre-approved" candidates thingie. Methinks some old favorites and possibly some new soon-to-be favorites are about to enter the picture.

The Legionnaires actually being somewhat friendly with each other.

Phantom Girl not orange.

The whole Projectra "peasants" thingie. I honor you, your Highness!

I'm very very excited about this run!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#76049 12/29/07 08:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Jo Nah TMK:

For me the fact that I am really eager to see the next issue is really telling - I haven't felt like this since the first issues of this series, before Waid's stories just got so static. I really wish this series was biweekly...
SO for real real.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#76050 12/29/07 01:13 PM
wamu2 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
okay, I realize this is early speculation. but I found it interesting that the places attacked(mining colony, and ski resort) have economic value. just a thought.

Saturn Girl's auto-recorder narration seemed a bit off... her comments about Star Boy seemed like someone watching him in action for the first time. I get that Shooter was putting in a bit of exposition, but that part just seemed clunky.

also, Timber Wolf rips open the head of one them and that vicious. Star Boy makes one implode and that's just awesome. hum, get the feeling she doesn't like Timber Wolf?

#76051 12/29/07 01:27 PM
Reservist
Reservist
S&M rules!!!!

Okay, so maybe I am being pre-emptive since this is just the first issue of their run, but I gotta admit I just love this new issue of the "re-christened" LSH. That new masthead looks like the one from the past, but as Jo Nah TMK says above, it's just real refreshing.

What struck me was how Shooter used what WaK had established and just ran from there. Too often writers new to a series blatantly ignore what's come before so that they can tell the stories they want to tell...not so here! They're still sniping at each other, but it doesn't feel/read as spiteful.

As for the art, it really is a breath of fresh air IMO. I personally don't compare one artist to another, especially on the Legion which has had great artists such as Giffen, Lightle, Pearson, Immonen, Coipel & Kitson do interiors. It's just great to have Manapul (go Pinoy!!!) onboard. He brings a youthful and kinetic flavor to these characters.

Shooter mentioned in a previous interview that the new uniforms would flow organically from the story, and I can now see how/why the Legionnaires would need new costumes in the next few issues.

A great first issue IMHO for S&M and I am hoping that they stay onboard well after the Legion's 50th year anniversary in 2008!

Igee The Mighty!
#76052 12/29/07 02:21 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Lots to be excited about here. Can't wait to see who is coming through the door next issue.

Don't want to bash Waid's run again, but let's just say he is in his element over at Brave & the Bold (highly recommend this series), but was kinda clueless on Legion. Nuff said.

The artwork was decent. Little rough in spots -- especially the opening with Karate Kid, but I expect Manapul will improve over time.

#76053 12/29/07 02:22 PM
Reservist
Reservist
So all positive feelings so far, no negatives?

So what.
#76054 12/29/07 02:45 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I liked it. I didn't love it.

What bothered me most -- I realize Garth, Ayla and Tinya aren't members of the Legion's Illuminati but they're hardly the Three Stooges. One of them should've had the wits to remember *they have a florging space ship they can fly to Triton!* (If their ships -- they had two, iirc -- were destroyed in the previous Wars, that important fact was omitted). And what prevented them from using their flight rings to communicate directly with Saturn Girl's team to ascertain its status? (If the attack suddenly cut off flight ring communications, it wasn't stated in the text.) And if they're all too dumb to manage even that modest level of intellectual activity, they should've at least had the combined I.Q. to recall their team includes the smartest sentient in the galaxy. All they had to do was ask Brainy what to do and they'd be on their way to Triton in a flash, if not sooner.

Metabolic Maid/Glucos Girl is visually very interesting and sexy in a wierd alien kind of way -- and since she can control her metabolism to *seem* dead I'm thinking that ugly lizard thing is in for a very nasty surprise -- but her introductory scenes hurt the pacing of the story, imo. Plus, I have trouble believing Lyle would be so enamored of her (or so impulsive) that he'd leave his teammates to follow her around the city moments before an attack.

I don't like it when characters are made to act illogically or uncharacteristically in order to serve the plot. On the flip side, I have to admit Garth is adorable when he's acting all flummoxed, Lyle for all his immaturity comes across as a really sweet kid with a lot of heroic potential, Saturn Girl is quickly returning to form as the Legion's alpha female, and S&M succeeded almost effortlessly in transforming Karate Kid back into the hot-headed but intelligent and unstoppable character Shooter first conceived 40 years ago.

The Really Good stuff:

- FJM's art is a visual feast. Very kinetic storytelling. Wonderful facial expressions and body language.

- Winch Boone and the concept of Triton as an intergalactic ski resort.

- Monsters! Real and illusory. I love monsters.

- The new mission monitor board -- all it needs is names!

- Fan service deluxe -- Tinya in her Victoria's Secret undies. (Now, can we girls please see Star Boy in his Jockey shorts?)

- Florg, yo-d'florging-lay. That word is a keeper.

I'll die laughing if the pre-approved candidates are Tusker, Spider-Girl, Golden Boy, Storm Boy and Absorbancy Boy. chuckle

Oh, and Sydne Ardeen? Has Shooter been playing Legion trivia with Tom Peyer?

#76055 12/29/07 03:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just read it. I was going to go to FJM's signing yesterday but the timing just didn't work out for me. I like the art so far. The faces and body language that FJM seems to be giving the characters some distinct personality.

Tinya's default facial expression seems to be Yes I'm hot and I know it (FJM's portrayal is amongst the prettiest in a long line), but she does show concern and seriousness in glaring over the ring-link in the first aid scene. Saturn girl is determined and intense. I like Karate Kid's anger in concern for one of the weaker members of the team being sent into a mission that needed muscle.

Shooter's dialog was okay. The scene with the ski punks and maybe the character monologues dictating to their logs were a bit stilted but the Legionnaire dialog was good.

But overall a solid start for JS-FJM.

Also I think it'd be nice if the expense of teleporting in the post-Orando economy causes them to switch back to space ships. I don't think they are commonly used from what we've seen in this LSH. Brainy pulled out one that was 1000 years old earlier in the series. If they have access to spaceships they wouldn't need to dig up an old relic (for us the equivalent of a buried viking ship) for a dangerous mission.

#76056 12/29/07 03:09 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Also I think it'd be nice if the expense of teleporting in the post-Orando economy causes them to switch back to space ships. I don't think they are commonly used from what we've seen in this LSH. Brainy pulled out one that was 1000 years old earlier in the series. If they have access to spaceships they wouldn't need to dig up an old relic (for us the equivalent of a buried viking ship) for a dangerous mission.
They took a space ship to Colu in one of the early stories because transmattering to the planet wasn't allowed (or impossible). It wasn't the old L.E.G.I.O.N. craft, as far as I remember.

#76057 12/29/07 04:21 PM
Active
Active
S&M are dense!

In a good way.

It felt like there was more packed into this issue than any 3 issues prior combined. I hope they continue to stay away from too many unnecessary splash pages and include as much story/characterization in each month as possible. Especially with seven more characters (recruits)possibly being added next month.

The issue started off with a bang (although I would have liked to have seen a little more of the Trip's dilemma play out prior to KK's arrival). I wonder if they will be triple pissed at Garth when they recover. Maybe she and KK will become close after she realizes who her rescuer was (after all 2/3 of her isn't dating yet).

The art was outstanding and the Legion gals looked super pretty, especially Projectra. Although Tinya still seems too orange for my liking... she should have the palest skin of any of them... it looks so much better against her raven hair.

It feels like Shooter has a plan while with Waid I never felt that anyone was totally in control of where things were going. Off to a great start I'd say. Congrats to all involved.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#76058 12/29/07 04:32 PM
Reservist
Reservist
An observation from my end...did any of you notice how KK kept repeating himself during his post-battle scenes? I dunno if it's relevant but it just popped out the 2nd time I read the issue.

Also, I dunno if it's just me but the KK-Trip pairing seems to mirror that in Countdown (where KK seems to be gravitating towards Una). It's a "non-trad" pairing but one that seems to be coming up.

Taking a step back, I just like the fact that there's characterization happening but not at the expense of action...finally, no off-panel fights...that only "happens" in dialogue.

Igee The Mighty!
#76059 12/29/07 05:29 PM
Active
Active
Enjoyed this issue A LOT! Lots of fun, great action, some wonderful moments for characters. And did anyone else notice that Brainy was not in it at all!!! only mentioned once! has that ever happened before in threeboot.

It was great to finally see some Legionnaires do stuff. I also totally loved Projectra, I felt her scenes were pure gold this issue.

Oh, and I forgot all about spaceships. Its funny but that's something you think you would remember in a sci-fi book but I didn't think of them at all. I guess that will be Garth, Ayla's and Tinya's excuse too.

Oh, and the art was gorgeous, really enjoyed, nice and kinetic, bright colors and some fun stuff.

This was what a comic book should be, fun and exciting.

Long Live the Legion!
#76060 12/29/07 05:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute
um... it was okay...

I read issue 36 right before it, and one of the things that stood out there was that Garth is supposed to be very good at combat and strategy (and, it appeared, at thinking quickly)... so where's that disappeared to with this issue? Yes, I know we were being told that he's being swamped, but does that totally kill someone's natural talents?
And what jerk Ayla was - all she did was stand around take the mick, couldn't she lend a hand or something?

Maybe I need to re-read it...

Where was Brainy and a sit-rep from him on the attackers?

What about Legion non-killing (I would have thought that making something implode, or ripping it's head off might be a bit terminal...)?

What the hell were those teenagers saying? (god, I feel old)

The UP sucks! 'Sorry, you don't have a planet anymore, you're not royalty! See ya!' What??

The issue seemed somewhat messy, perhaps trying to do too much. I agree it had plenty of action, but isn't it action we've all seen before?
Imra being an iron-but
Brin ripping things apart
Star Boy using his powers creatively
Projectra being haughty
Legion Leader being harassed by UP protocol... been there done that.
I think this issue may have been a step back from the 'filler' issues of the Search for Cosmic Boy, which seemed to have more depth, more characterisation and more going for them. I hope I'm judging this too quickly and it will change for the better...

#76061 12/29/07 05:54 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Well, I appreciate the art. I like that it's more dynamic and defined. If I could, I'd probably have panels filled-in more sparingly, though.

I also appreciate the piling-on of subplots--a very filling approach.

I very much appreciate that I wasn't beaten over the head with Mr. Waid's youth-movement concept yet again.

I don't appreciate that the main plot seems to be the legion facing yet another overwhelming militaristic invasion-like threat. That makes three for the threeboot. Go back to the Blight, Robotica, and Singularity for a few more. Give it a rest, already.

I also still object to the legion killing antagonists, even if (and especially if) it's uncertain that they're sentient or not.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,249
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kent Shakespeare
Kent Shakespeare
Hudson Valley
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star