Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes 37(Spoilers)
#76062 12/29/07 06:20 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Igee The Mighty:
An observation from my end...did any of you notice how KK kept repeating himself during his post-battle scenes? I dunno if it's relevant but it just popped out the 2nd time I read the issue.
i noticed it the first time, but the second time, i realized i was missing a joke - when Tinya arrives on the scene (pg 2) she says "Are you okay, kk?" to which he replies "i'm o-kay-kay-kay" - ie, jokingly mimicking back what she just said to him. This recurs later in the issue when Tinya reports to Garth "Okay, KK is in the infirmary again," to which Garth jokingly repeats "o-kay-kay kay."

The only other instance of KK repeating things is when he says "I think I can... I think I can" ie, the little engine that could on pg 3 and "girl... girls" on pg 2 ie correcting himself in referring to Luornu in the singular. So, all that said, I don't think there's anything going on here with KK, okay-kay-kay?

#76063 12/29/07 08:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
This is officially the first time I've ever bought two copies of a comic to have both covers.

Yeah, that's right, and I was a huge Image fan, too, so that's pretty shocking (I always just picked the cover I liked most, back then, being too cheap to get two of the same comic).

Love that Star Boy was represented as a serious player, and not the bumbling oaf he was treated as in the early 3boot. ("What's your power again?" "To make things heavy, and ignore bombs, I guess...")

Projectra's power was interesting in it's representation. Clearly she isn't manipulating light, since we saw the affected people in the standard hallway, writhing around, but actually creating mental images in the minds of those around her, which is very cool, since it means that no amount of super-senses would be able to pierce her illusions, since she's targetting the mind, not the eyes.

I'm not looking forward to all of the costume changes. Garth, in particular, is in his best costume ever, right now, and I'd rather he keep it. In other clothier notes, Saturn Girl needs a cape, something transparent and fluttery. She'd look hot with a cape. smile

So, monitor screen;
I see;
Shrinking Violet / ??? / Chameleon / Colossal Boy
Cosmic Boy / Dream Boy / Karate Kid / Light Lass
Element Lad / Lightning Lad / Phantom Girl / Projectra
Saturn Girl / Ultra Boy / Shadow Lass / ???
Triplicate Girl / Invisible Kid / Star Boy / Timber Wolf

Help me out Legion-fans! Who are bachelor #2 and bachelorette #16 in that picture?

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#76064 12/29/07 08:44 PM
J
Applicant
Applicant
J
I liked this issue, the scene whre Lyle gives her the flower was sweet.
Set, #2 is Brainiac 5, not sure who #16 is.

#76065 12/29/07 09:05 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Bachelorette #16 is Supergirl. I think. No longer on active duty (as Ayla points out) but once a Legionnaire ...

#76066 12/29/07 09:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
click to enlarge

#76067 12/29/07 09:44 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Set, I think the one you see as Dream Boy is supposed to be Sun Boy. Look at the emblem.

Francis, can you clarify?

#76068 12/31/07 03:10 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ok, I just read it guys and I have to admit...it was awesome! This is much more my pace, dialogue, action, etc! Love the art Francis! The pads are blue! That looks much better. KK is a bit big but I don't care.

Action Legion who? I honestly didn't think I was going to like this issue this much!

I recently read Shooter's Legion and he did focus lots on KK. Nice to see some things haven't changed. Invisible Kid wasn't annoying! Shooter gives the powerful guys the due they deserve.

#76069 12/31/07 04:17 PM
Deputy
Deputy
A great read. Great artwork, generally very good story and dialogue, although some of the scripting seemed a bit klunky (the "Legion Logs" and the snow boarder lingo). For the first time in a long time, I feel like I got my money's worth from an issue of Legion. While I enjoyed much of the 3boot, even elements of the "generation gap," it is indisputable that Waid's scripts have gotten incredibly thin in recent years. It's like he takes one really cool idea (and they usually are really cool) and stretches it out into an entire issue's script. That just doesn't work, especially for a large team book like Legion. (I don't think it works that well in his current Flash scripts, either, fwiw.) You end up with a huge cast suffocating from characterization deprivation. Maybe Shooter occasionally packs too much into this ish, but I would much rather have that problem than the alternative.

I must note, however, the continuation (resumption?) of the coloring errors. I REALLY think someone (scripter, penciler, editor) needs to label every panel for the colorist. The couple of panels where Saturn Girl is calling her mom have Imra colored as Light Lass with red hair and green eyes.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#76070 12/31/07 06:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Promising first issue. Loved the new logo. As others have already stated so well, the issue had character development, flowed back and forth between plot lines, and still managed to move forward. As promised, Shooter is taking an approach of organic change -- which is just so the right thing to do. We've had our share of hype, shock, and hallow new beginnings over the years. It's refreshing that one of the biggest names in Legion history is taking a humble approach.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#76071 12/31/07 08:57 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Definitely a fun read! My only gripe was the coloring of Imra on page 6 - she looked like Ayla at first glance - it was only the context that corrected that.

Otherwise, I'd be happy with more of Tinya in her quarters. smile

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

#76072 12/31/07 09:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Love Shooter's return. Art and story were great, picking up the pieces but setting up a new direction. I only wish Francis' great pencils hadn't gotten so washed out (for lack of a better word) by the inks.

Between Barry and Francis sharing their pencils I'm getting pretty spoiled then disappointed when the finished product comes out.

#76073 01/01/08 02:47 AM
Deputy
Deputy
To be honest, I thought it was ok. I wasn't blown away, however.

Let's face it, this is far better than the first 36 issues of the relaunch, and there are some good scenes, but some things feel a bit forced, and it feels a bit odd to come from last issue straight to this one... Feels like a "Five Month Later" comic book.

There's more characterization in this issue than there's been in the whole of Waid's run. The art is good, but isn't really my cup of tea.

All in all, this is what I expected from Shooter: he does the job, just don't expect any dazzle or wow.

This is probably the closest the threeboot Legion has been to what I consider a "LSH feel", but I still want to be convinced.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#76074 01/01/08 08:32 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I have to say, I wasn’t expecting…this. I’m usually wary when long-absent writers return to comic books, particularly those they helped establish—more often than not, I find that the writer hasn’t evolved with the comic book—so I had my expectations for this issue set as “cautiously optimistic”. I was half-expecting Shooter’s Threeboot Legion to be, basically, his old Legion in new duds.

It seems I needn’t have worried. This feels fresh, in a way the early Threeboot wasn’t (as far as I remember it, anyway). There’s continuity (name-checks for Imra and Thom’s parents), world-building, and characters with character. For once, I really want to read about this Legion—something I couldn’t say about either Waid or Johns’. Great art is always a plus. Lets hope this level of quality holds.

#76075 01/02/08 04:07 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Regarding the pre-approved seven...I have a feeling these may be the remaining seven Legionnaires through the Cockrum/Grell period that have yet to appear in the series.

1. Bouncing Boy
2. Matter Eater Lad (okay, he actually has appeared but not as a potential Legionnaire)
3. Ferro Lad
4. Chemical King
5. Dawnstar
6. Tyroc
7. Blok

We already know Wildfire is (or will be) joining, based on the Bedard/Calero set up, Mon is currently back in the Phantom Zone (not for long I hope) and that Mysa is currently with the Wanderers, so these seven are the ones that remain to be introduced.

It would be great to have them all back in the fold IMO. smile

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#76076 01/02/08 04:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That seems almost too good to be true...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#76077 01/02/08 07:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It sure was a fun read wasn't it!

I like the bit between Garth and Ayla, he seems rather tolerant of her attitude. And it was great to see that sometimes, people make mistakes when handing out assignments.

And Invisible Kid gets some field time1 In his street duds too- you know I'm happy with that.

Just spouting off.
#76078 01/02/08 08:09 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Great first issue. Looking forward to more. I agree with the previous post that this issue felt like it wasn't a fast read for the first time in a long while for a Legion title.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#76079 01/02/08 10:16 AM
Leader
Leader
I won't gush over this issue as others have done, but I will say that the writing seems very promising. It was indeed a much denser read than anything we've seen for a while. The art is not quite my cup of tea, but I was pleasantly surprised that it looked better on the inside than it did on the cover imo. Hopefully it will grow on me.

Also, I am currently working on my own graphic novel and I have come to realize that producing a comic is REALLY hard work and takes tons of time and dedication and it's really difficult to convey in art what you want the story to say in those tiny little panels. It makes me realize that we are all really harsh critics and most of us don't have much appreciation for how hard comic creators work to produce a good product or how hard we fans are to please. I for one will try to keep this in mind in the future when I'm critquing comics.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#76080 01/02/08 01:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by jimgallagher:

1) It makes me realize that we are all really harsh critics and

2) most of us don't have much appreciation for how hard comic creators work to produce a good product or how hard we fans are to please.

3)I for one will try to keep this in mind in the future when I'm critquing comics.
1) agree, part of "fandom."
2) disagree, but it would get tiresome and quickly lose meaning if in order to acknowledge this effort we interjected every opinion with "sorry if this comes off harsh" or "I know the artist/writer put in a lot of work on this but." I think some reading "critique" of their work would have to swallow the professional bullet and interject those phrases mentally. I liked how Collaros handled his time on this board. He overtly recognized art appreciation relies heavily on pre-defined personal tastes, asked the reader to keep an open mind to the intent of the depictions but with the ultimate realization that no one can make everybody happy.
3) I get the impression that most do.

#76081 01/02/08 04:22 PM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
hey guys getting here a bit late. I've been fighting the flu the last few days and had been bed ridden.

Tromium the answer to your question is Dreamboy. It was really hard to find reference for him and that was the best one I found.

Also I'd be happy to try and answer all questions you guys and gals might have just have to repost it from here. thanks all!

#76082 01/02/08 09:14 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Sorry, guys, but I didn't like this ish at all. Neither the art nor the writing "did it" for me. However, in all fairness, I'm as sick as a dog right now, so I'll give it a re-read when I'm feeling better.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#76083 01/03/08 12:09 AM
Honorary
Honorary
What got me was the opening splash page: Val squaring off against an overwhelming opponent. That told me "Jim Shooter is back" more clearly than the rest of the issue, good as it was.

Jim created Val back in the sixties, because 'too many legionaires just pointed their fingers to use their powers.' Val's back! The action's back! YES! laugh

#76084 01/03/08 04:08 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by fjm:
hey guys getting here a bit late. I've been fighting the flu the last few days and had been bed ridden.

Tromium the answer to your question is Dreamboy. It was really hard to find reference for him and that was the best one I found.

Also I'd be happy to try and answer all questions you guys and gals might have just have to repost it from here. thanks all!
Feel better soon and please take care of yourself.

Thanks for the answer. I guess I was confused by the round emblem and the fact that Dream Boy isn't on the cover and Sun Boy is.

I don't have any more questions you'd be able to answer (such as, when does Jim plan on getting rid of Dream Boy? wink ) but I want to repeat how much I like your artwork and what a good match you are for Shooter.

#76085 01/03/08 06:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Haven't read this yet but I'm shocked at how excited I am about it!

#76086 01/03/08 08:53 PM
Active
Active
The snow is crazy here in eastern Ontario, but there's nothing like a good, old-fashioned dose of LSH to help me endure the deep freeze--and a good, old-fashioned LSH is what I got. I actually enjoyed looking back at several pages after reading it, something I haven't done in a while.

KK's beefed up look will take time getting used to. I always appreciated the heavy hitting hero without the body of WWF wrestler.

I echo someone else's sentiment about reinstating a deputy leader to handle the administrative duties of Legion affairs.

Question for Mr. Manapul: This may have been answered elsewhere, but could you tell me who you and Mr. Shooter are most interested in drawing/writing (other than the obvious Karate Kid for Mr. Shooter)?

Finally, could we refer to this run's creators as SaM, instead of S&M? The latter seems to brook disrespect, something they definitely do not deserve.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Helena Handbasket
Helena Handbasket
A spare room over Quislet's Table
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star