Roll Call
1 members (razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo, razsolo), 42 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:27 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:07 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:07 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:00 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Power Tweaks
#78649 10/19/03 03:57 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
How would you tweak a Legionnaire's superpower?
I don't mean the massive power *ups* that have been added to Saturn Girl and Star Boy. I mean something more like Dirk Morgna's 'heat vision' that led to the reveal of Wildfire's existence.

A refinement of an existing power, perhaps caused by years of said power's use.

INVISIBLE KID: I like that he can now, with great effort, turn others invisible. I'd like it to be shown that it gets easier for him when he uses that ability on the *same* individuals over and over again. That'd be a great reason for the Espionage Squad to work together extensively. Conversely, Lyle could be sent on missions with non-Espionage Legionnaires in order to 'build up' his 'catalog'.

Imagine the Legion in full instantly appearing in front of an opponent...

That could be a great one-time use of his power, as I'd think he'd be left comatose after such an exertion.

Also, what if while invisible, Lyle began to recognize and view 'things' that are invisible to the mortal eye. Ghosts come to mind... but I'd be more interested to see Lyle interact with personages who live in other planes as their natural state.

So-- anyone have a Legion-related superpower they'd like to see 'tweaked'?

TN

Re: Power Tweaks
#78650 10/19/03 04:19 PM
Su Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Sounds like a good idea! Maybe it might be modifying Lyle's power to be sort of shifting some of his mass into a parallel dimension but still be tangible... It would be like phasing but it would only be so he was not visible rather than that he was intangible.. I like the idea of him seeing things while invisible. I liked how in Lord of the Rings it showed how the world was distorted to Frodo when he put the ring on. I'd like to see how Lyle perceives things (if they appear differently) while he is invisible.

I sort of want to see Brainiac 5 develop telepathy. Not as strong as Saturn Girl's but you'd think that with his mind being as powerful as it is that he might have some telepathy. Maybe some mind over matter type things. He could learn to have more control. I know from watching the Guinnes World Records type shows that there are people who can resist extreme cold and other things just by taking control of their bodies with their minds. People who can slow their heartrate to 8 beats per minute and things like that. Might be interesting to see if Brainy could have telekinesis too. Well, very limitied. To stuff that he could actually see and that was nearby. He would have to really focus and exert himself. Maybe get a nosebleed from concentrating so hard. Of course I would want these abilities to build up very slowly and only after lots and lots of practice.
I hope that isn't considered too much of a power boost for him.
luv,
-Su

#78651 10/19/03 04:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Only thing is, he could just invent machines to do all of that stuff, and without the nosebleeds! smile

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#78652 10/19/03 05:01 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Su:

I sort of want to see Brainiac 5 develop telepathy. Not as strong as Saturn Girl's but you'd think that with his mind being as powerful as it is that he might have some telepathy. Maybe some mind over matter type things. He could learn to have more control. I know from watching the Guinnes World Records type shows that there are people who can resist extreme cold and other things just by taking control of their bodies with their minds. People who can slow their heartrate to 8 beats per minute and things like that. Might be interesting to see if Brainy could have telekinesis too. Well, very limitied. To stuff that he could actually see and that was nearby. He would have to really focus and exert himself. Maybe get a nosebleed from concentrating so hard. Of course I would want these abilities to build up very slowly and only after lots and lots of practice.
I hope that isn't considered too much of a power boost for him.
luv,
-Su
Keeping up our exchange on all things Brainiac:), Su...

You know what could work in regards to Brainy and telepathy? If he was a 'loud' thinker without realizing it... when Imra (or someone) points it out to him, Brainy practices and learns to 'bespeak' others mentally, but can't 'hear' their replies. It'd be a bit of comment on the personality he's shown from time to time. (Though a very superficial one, I'll admit.)

TN

#78653 10/19/03 05:05 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
Only thing is, he could just invent machines to do all of that stuff, and without the nosebleeds! smile
HI, KIDP!!!! Good to 'hear' from you! Did you ever see the Sondheim lyric I posted for you in honor of your wedding?

Well-- back to the topic...

Our Brainy has a bit of his mom in him. Otherwise he'd never go on these adventures at all-- he'd send robots/probes/etc. with the machines you hypothesize.

I've often thought that Brainy really should've created force-field belts for *all* the Legionnaires by now (if only to show Lyle up!). He'd include an override which only he could use, of course. (And would-- with no warning and inexplicable explanation afterward... smile ).

TN

#78654 10/19/03 05:28 PM
Su Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Well, Querl could create machines to do things, but after the Computo fiasco he might be reluctant. Also, if there was something that was interfering with machinery and he didn't have time to build something he might want to rely on mental powers. I realized after I thought about it that they have telepathic earplugs for him to communicate with people. So maybe limited telekinesis would be good. And I think I mentioned I'd like to see his resistance to telepathic assaults strengthen. It would be truly scary to see someone with Querl's intellect having Saturn Girl's telepathic powers.
Hmmm.. I do wonder why he didn't make forcefield belts for the team.
I wish they would do away with the metal disks and junk on his face. I'm not sure how I feel about the internalized forcefield. I could see it causing serious damage if it got overloaded or had too much feedback or something.
Has Querl been reluctant to let anyone touch him since his mother hurt him?
luv,
-Su

#78655 10/20/03 02:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yes, B5 should be able to develop some meditation-related power to control pain or something like that.

Umbra may have had a power tweak in the last issue; it's not clear what role the shadow champion ancestors will play. Will she have gained the wisdom of their collective experience? Will her darkfield have more punch?

Gates is one member who I believe needs a power tweak of some sort. His ability as a teleporter is undermined by the increasing availability of thresholds. In fact, his teleportation abilities seem to have been weakened lately (he just about collapsed in the "Ra's breaks free" issue).

I'm not even sure what Kinetix' powers are now, apart from some healing thing she did with M'onel (and hasn't used since?). Perhaps clarification rather than tweaking would be in order here.

Others, such as Apparition, XS, Triad, Karate Kid I would actually leave alone; it's interesting to have some "less powerful" legionnaires shown to succeed with their wits and judicious use of what power they have.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#78656 10/20/03 09:07 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Someone that I think could use a tweakdown is Tenzel. It was much better when no explanation was given or implied as to why he can eat anything. This acid spit thing is just stupid and no fun.

Ferro could use a tweak. He's nearly invulnerable and stronger I suppose, but that still basically makes him only good as a throwing object. His "mutation" cold be used as a vehicle. Perhaps he could retain a connection to his dead brother that allows him to see into the past. Well that's lame. Ive got nothing, but would like something done.

#78657 10/20/03 11:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Maybe Ferro could react with things like iron does - whatever that is, I don't know my chemistry - he could make things rust, metals that wouldn't normally rust - or speed up the process. There must be other reactions which involve iron - where's Condo when I need him?

What did Lead, the Metal Man, do?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#78658 10/20/03 11:43 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I think the Brainiac 5 meditation/body control tweaking would be cool but not so on the telepathy. I kind of see telepaths as having an extra gene or something (like being left handed) as opposed to having a developed mind. But that extra gene/talent still need to be developed.

Matter-eater Lad: Yeah forget the spitting acid, but I always assumed that a Bismollian's stomach acids must be the most corrosive force in the universe. a neat little story might be about someone killing Bismollians just to collect their stomach acids.

Kinetix: I think Zoe just needs to be restored to her original self with her original powers.

Triad: I have thought that whatever one of her selves learned/saw/heard, the others would then also know, but only after they merged.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#78659 10/20/03 12:45 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
Triad: I have thought that whatever one of her selves learned/saw/heard, the others would then also know, but only after they merged.
I don't know - I like the idea of the three of her (love Carggite pronouns... smile ) having a psychic link between them and only within herselves.

This was hinted at in the first C.O.M.P.U.T.O. story, IIRC, but its never really been mentioned again, has it?

[And no, I am in no way suggesting that she should be reduced to a single personality. Heck, it'd be fun to have Orange or Purple suddenly react in a shocked manner out of nowhere because of something another her did, that they saw/experienced through the link that she wouldn't do smile ]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#78660 10/20/03 05:27 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
How would you tweak a Legionnaire's superpower?
I don't mean the massive power *ups* that have been added to Saturn Girl and Star Boy. I mean something more like Dirk Morgna's 'heat vision' that led to the reveal of Wildfire's existence.

A refinement of an existing power, perhaps caused by years of said power's use.

INVISIBLE KID: I like that he can now, with great effort, turn others invisible. I'd like it to be shown that it gets easier for him when he uses that ability on the *same* individuals over and over again. That'd be a great reason for the Espionage Squad to work together extensively. Conversely, Lyle could be sent on missions with non-Espionage Legionnaires in order to 'build up' his 'catalog'.

Imagine the Legion in full instantly appearing in front of an opponent...

That could be a great one-time use of his power, as I'd think he'd be left comatose after such an exertion.

Also, what if while invisible, Lyle began to recognize and view 'things' that are invisible to the mortal eye. Ghosts come to mind... but I'd be more interested to see Lyle interact with personages who live in other planes as their natural state.

So-- anyone have a Legion-related superpower they'd like to see 'tweaked'?

TN

#78661 10/20/03 05:35 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Remember when Matter-Eater Lad consumed the Miracle Machine? That energy could have (should have?)had a residual effect.
To wit: any time Tenzil digests matter, he gains the ability to perform a "miracle." If he has a light snack, the result might be a brief or localized event; after eating a building or other large object, a more potent manifestation would occur.
Of course, he'd need to eat a heck of a lot to undo the reboots that make this "tweaking" impossible in current continuity!

#78662 10/20/03 07:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The current storyline in Teen Titans with Impulse has me thinking about XS. Bart has shown an ability read at super speed and retain what he reads. This ability caused Jay Allen to say to Wally, "He can do what NO other speedster can do."

Bart has also displayed increased metabolism that leads to accelerated healing. Does XS share her cousin's abilities. Should her powers be tweaked to include them? I say "yes". I think it would give her a little more depth.

I'm also intrigued by the mass tornadoes that she created on Xanthu by combining her powers with Star Boy's. What would happen if she combined the tornado effect with Cosmic Boy's magnetism, Spark's lightning, Wildfire's energy, or Kid Q's stasis fields? I can imagine some very cool results.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,146
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
icefire
icefire
tennessee
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star