Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added SUNSWORD 5 May*
by razsolo - 05/04/24 11:08 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The New Yorker Fest: Chuck & Tenzil get no love
#78771 10/08/07 06:29 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Switching gears again, Greenman explained that he thought the character of Bouncing Boy in the Legion of Super-Heroes was very silly and pointless, he asked the panelists what super hero they thought was the most foolish or silly.

Lethem said that when he was younger he and his friends would try to invent a superhero with the most useless and illogical powers, such as characters named Inaudible Girl who had the power to be impossible to hear or Chronos, who always knew exactly what time it was. However, if forced to choose an existing property, Lethem admitted that to him another Legion character, Matter-Eater Lad, was probably the most silly.
The panelists were Morrison, Kring, Mignola & Letham. Letham is the new writer on Omega The Unknown. Comes from a TV background I believe. Kring is the creator of Heroes.

Morrison's answer was the original Red Bee. Mignola answered with a character he's worked on before Rocket Racoon.

I wonder how many fans Inaudible Girl will have by the end of this thread. smile

Re: The New Yorker Fest: Chuck & Tenzil get no love
#78772 10/08/07 06:35 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
A fan asked Morrison about the archetypes he was discussing earlier in the panel. The fan wanted to know what overall story and idea was behind Morrison's controversial run on “New X-men.”

Morrison stated that the X-men can be used to signify any group. According to Morrison, while writing “New X-Men,” he was thinking about what he sees as a current “war on kids” by society. Morrison thinks that, “in a way, the current generation of those in power hate kids because the kids will eventually take over. There is a ‘hatred of our own success' feeling about it all. So ‘New X-men' was dealing with this, how the mutants were evolving and were going to replace normal humans over time, and the problems this caused.”
Morrison just made Waid's underager "Eat It Grandpa" cool. Imagine if he actually wrote the Legion!

#78773 10/08/07 06:59 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
1) Never heard of Inaudible Girl (hee hee).

2) It is natural that a generation nurtures and teaches the following generation to not only succeed them but to exceed them. Any generation that would wish ill on a following generation is power crazy or just plain sick. Probably why Waid's recent vision of the Legion never caught on with me - I prefer a somewhat optimistic future rather than a de-generating one.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#78774 10/08/07 08:26 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I have read several things by Lethem, including his novel Fortress of Solitude (which was actually pretty good). Lethem is a Marvel guy through and through, dating back to the '70s. He has no time at all for DC. And the Legion, after all, is one of the DCest of all DC properties. So none of this is surprising.

#78775 10/08/07 08:30 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Originally posted by Matthew E:
Lethem is a Marvel guy through and through, dating back to the '70s.
He'd have to be to do Omega the Unknown. No false advertising there-- I had to wikipedia it just to have any clue what the book was.

#78776 10/08/07 08:35 PM
Active
Active
I found a copy of "Shut Up, Already!" the Inaudible Girl annual from the summer of 1978 in the quarter bin at the local CBS. It told the story of her first encounter with the Loudmouth Twins. This thing was mint! The fool had no idea what he had. I sold it on EBAY for $207.50. I still had my copy from when I was twelve.

(I need to start proofreading my posts before I add them)

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#78777 10/09/07 11:10 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
LOL @ Language Arts Lad!

Speaking of Language Arts Lad I've mentioned a few times about Claremont's Doug Ramsey/Cypher about being a more modern take on Bouncing Boy and Matter Eater Lad.

I've learned to appreciate Chuck Taine and Tenzil Kim. Infact I've always loved Chuck and Tenzil. Bouncing Boy and Matter Eater Lad on the other hand? I don't dismiss the characters cause I love their personalities while I hate their powers. smile

I would LOVE to see a new Legionnaire with a silly power and have an elder Chuck or Tenzil give them a pep talk or mentor them!

#78778 10/09/07 11:54 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wow! I wonder if Chronos is related to Rockhopper's buddy Time Teller Lad! laugh

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#78779 10/09/07 12:55 PM
Active
Active
I would LOVE to see a new Legionnaire with a silly power and have an elder Chuck or Tenzil give them a pep talk or mentor them!
I think this was a large part of the appeal of the Legion originally- this notion that everyone contributed even if their power was silly. You didn't need the big guns to solve cases, those Legionnaires with the less flashy powers were valued members, too. Phantom Girl and Triplicate Girl could stop the bad guys just as readily s Ultra Boy and Mon-El.

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#78780 10/09/07 11:48 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Language Arts Lad:
I think this was a large part of the appeal of the Legion originally- this notion that everyone contributed even if their power was silly. You didn't need the big guns to solve cases, those Legionnaires with the less flashy powers were valued members, too. Phantom Girl and Triplicate Girl could stop the bad guys just as readily s Ultra Boy and Mon-El.
I agree, absolutely. As I've said before, one of my favorite Legion stories is "The Impossible Target" from Superboy # 199, wherein Bouncing Boy singlehandely defeats a villain who underestimated him.

The idea that Legionnaires don't have to be powerhouses resonates with the idea that everyone is unique: We can contribute something valuable to society with what we have; we do not have to compete with others to be worthy of respect, admiration, and even love. This idea tends to get lost in some versions of the Legion, but it is, I think, necessary to what makes the Legion the Legion.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#78781 10/10/07 12:44 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Shhshhsshhh..
You're not supposed to talk about Inaudible Girl.

#78782 10/10/07 12:51 AM
Active
Active
A "weak" power can be a catalyst for self-growth and the realization of "hidden strengths". Having to push harder than more "powerful" Legionnaires, those with weaker powers can be much more interesting characters with greater depth, I think, and maybe even better role models.
I could identify with them quite a lot as a kid. It was one of the things that amazed me in the Legion.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,113
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
String
String
The Bright, Sunny South
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star