Roll Call
2 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Comics_Archeology), 54 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 03:29 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes 38 ***Spoilers***
#78928 01/27/08 12:05 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I see someone has a lot of free time on his hands... :rolleyes:

Great as always, Gary!!!

(Hey, does anyone know why I'm holding my left hand up in the air???) lol

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#78929 01/27/08 12:08 AM
Deputy
Deputy
And of all the new characters, I think Fruit Boy is the most appealing...

Get it... a-peeling...like peeling fresh fruit...

(Oh, come on people, this is funny stuff!!!) smile

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#78930 01/27/08 03:34 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Actually, while I personally thought Fruit Boy was funny, someone reminded me how homophobic calling a character Fruit Boy could be.

I personally think this friend was reading a bit too much into it.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#78931 01/27/08 05:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I suppose if he's homosexual? Then I suppose "Fruit Boy" could be a rude problem.

As is, he's just another Arnold Schwarzenegger look-a-like and "Fruit Boy" seems a fitting moniker.

#78932 01/27/08 07:29 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Hi all

I seem to be the only one who did not enjoy this issue at all. I am glad that people are finding it fun but I am having some difficulty feeling the same vibes.

Firstly, I have always enjoyed try-outs both for its humour and the earnestness of those who are trying to join the Legion. The fact that some of these rejects finally make it makes the try-outs a wondrous expression of hope. But given the premise of this Legion, I find the humourous try-outs a worry and a tad insidious. What is the UP trying to say with these pre-approved candidates? Is the Legion still a big joke to them (Fruit Boy) or seen as a subversive element still? (Voice) Why did they approve of these particular candidates?

Secondly, why is Lightning Lad acting like a total jerk? Sure, he is feeling a lot of emotional and leadership stress but any fool will know that blowing your top at the very people you hope to get help from is not the sane thing to do. His concern for Saturn Girl sounds rather false given his immature reaction. If these are symptoms of a breakdown, or he is being taken over by someone or something that makes him act like this, I will withdraw my comments. If not, I am fast losing all sense of empathy or sympathy for this Lightning Lad.

Finally, I just do not get a sense of heroism from this Legion at all. What are they fighting for and why are they reruiting everyone they meet? (Giselle) Do we need a female Timber Wolf? Thank God, she has rejected the offer but I have a sneaky feeling Shooter will get her into the Legion ultimately.

I am glad that there is the current Legion arc over at Action for me to enjoy. Although there are a lot of controversy whether this is the Legion I grew up with, at least they are fighting for what is right, even if the whole world is against them. And they do it without descending into rudeness and sarcasm.

Long Live The Legion!
#78933 01/27/08 08:29 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
I wonder if M'rrisey is a tribute to Legion fan extraordinaire Rich Morrisey, who died several years ago.
I'd say the line, "Triva. I'm good at trivia." makes the tuckerization a certainty.

#78934 01/27/08 10:37 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Who is this Virus chick? An Infectious Lass wanna be -- with a boring costume.

May she never disgrace the pages of Legion again!

Aside from that, a good issue. The applicants were intersting, but that metabolic girl has too much angst -- and her powers aren't as impressive as the Legionnaires seem to think.

#78935 01/28/08 06:30 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I've enjoyed the past two issues more than Waid's entire run.
Thanks SnM!
I loved Fruit Boy and his thick neck.
I loved the"people and others"line.
I loved Imra animating the unconcious SPs.
I loved Garth & Ayla acting like brother & sister
I love,love,love M'rrisey!

#78936 01/28/08 08:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The reason I like Giselle? She's hot but alien. She doesn't look like another suburb kid from other space. Her powers are offensive...something the female characters of the Legion need! Her powers are different and interesting.

Angst? I like it's a girl with angst and not another Ultra Boy/Timberwolf/Wildfire angst thing.

rhino, i forgot about Imra animated the SPs. That was great!

#78937 01/28/08 10:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I *finally* went and got my books. I was 4 months behind!!!!

Without re-hashing everything that's been said, I'll just say that I'm pleased with how it's going and I like the art a lot.

#78938 01/30/08 05:20 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Man, I'm lovin' what Shooter is doing so far.
It feels like the Legion again. It's been a long time.

It may not last, but for now it just seems right.

#78939 01/31/08 02:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Superboy:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
[b]
My one gripe is that (with the exception of Fruit Boy) Shooter is using the 90's as a basis to name his Legion rejects. I thought the main reason we rebooted to this Legion was to get back to Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass names! This isn't the X-Men!*
You mean like Dawnstar, Wildfire, Timber Wolf, Shrinking Violet, Chemical King...Tellus...Quislet...Blok?
[/b]
I agree.
I would hope there would be more of a point to a 'boot than names.

There was nothing wrong with the 90s names. Waid was gonig for a retro feel (in names at least); that shouldn't bind any creators who follow him. Especially since what he left was not exactly an end-all-be-all interpretation.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#78940 01/31/08 02:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
Lilith was always my favourite Titan too... in fact I only read the book because she was in it.
What was even worse was HOW Lilith died....one of the most poorly written deaths EVER. Why would a telepath who can't sense a BERSERKING Superman's mind go up to try to TOUCH him????!!!! Then she tries to SCRATCH him!!?? She can teleport!!

Ugg that whole story just makes me angry.....Judd Winick wrote that story....even worse now he is doing the new "Titans" series. He makes all guys into jerks and all women into bimbos.
The good news is: comic book characters almost always come back, sooner or later. Even if it's an alt-reality of some sort.

Lilith is great, and has potential. I'm sure someone will revive her, sooner or later.

#78941 01/31/08 02:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Merlion Man:
Secondly, why is Lightning Lad acting like a total jerk? Sure, he is feeling a lot of emotional and leadership stress but any fool will know that blowing your top at the very people you hope to get help from is not the sane thing to do. His concern for Saturn Girl sounds rather false given his immature reaction. If these are symptoms of a breakdown, or he is being taken over by someone or something that makes him act like this, I will withdraw my comments. If not, I am fast losing all sense of empathy or sympathy for this Lightning Lad.
I actually like this. It reminds me of Garth's late 70s/early 80s leadership run, where everything always seemed to go wrong. Being a founder does not necessarily make one a good administrator; Garth would make a better field leader, IMHO.

Shooter does a good job at describing how hectic Legion leader is/should be; unfortunately he does not delegate, and has no apparent chief-of-staff that he desperately needs.

I find Shooter's take fresh and interesting, but not 100 percent satisfying. Still, I am intrigued, and excluding the Lightning/Action Legion and the animated Legion, it's the best the "main" book has been at least since #3, maybe since Foundations, but not yet up to Robotica or Lost levels. But there's potential.

#78942 01/31/08 06:12 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:

Lilith is great, and has potential. I'm sure someone will revive her, sooner or later.
Unfortunately the only book she could really return in is the new Titans series coming out in May....but it is written by the person who killed her in the first place - Judd Winick. So I don't think Lilith will be back for a long time.

That story really began the descent of me liking the Titans...if it wasn't for that descent I would never had found the Legion especially Dream Girl.

But as all my favorite characters tend to do, Dream Girl is now dead.

Luckily my favorite Marvel character, Rachel Grey, is still around.

#78943 02/01/08 06:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I hope Dreamy is still in the "dream universe" or whatever just because she hasn't fully healed yet from the corporeal injuries that seemingly "killed" her.
How does THAT sound as one way out for bringing Nura back Mr. Shooter?????

... thanks for humouring me anyways.... smile

#78944 02/01/08 11:54 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
Unfortunately the only book she could really return in is the new Titans series coming out in May....but it is written by the person who killed her in the first place - Judd Winick. So I don't think Lilith will be back for a long time.

But as all my favorite characters tend to do, Dream Girl is now dead.
Don't forget, the laternate-future Legion's Dream Girl is still alive, last we knew (the Legion currently appearing in Action Comics. We last saw that Dream Girl alive and well in JLA and JSA over the summer).

The way comic creators come and go, even Winick will likely not last forever.

#78945 02/02/08 01:24 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Read the issue today, and as usual, I'm going on my first impression- I probably need to reread it...

I kinda liked Giselle rejecting the offer - shows that the perception of the Legion isn't shared by all the underagers.

Other than that, I can't say that I was overwhelmed. Garth having trouble with being leader - seen it before.
Invisible Kid being a bit of a donut in battle situations - seen it before.
Tryout candidates being totally lame - seen it before (although I did like the chick who could hear really well under water! lol). Why, WHY do the lame rip off of Infectious Lass?
And I know that Garth is stressed, but WHY DIDN'T HE HIRE THE LAST CANDIDATE AS HIS ASSISTANT??? Geez, has Shooter given Garth a lobotomy?

I have to agree with another poster - I'm enjoying the Legion in Superman more than the 'official' one...

#78946 02/02/08 02:23 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I am still going to cut Shooter alot of slack since he is dealing with the mess of a set up that Waid left him. He gets at least 4 or 5 issues to gradually change the tone of this series before I start nickpicking things.

#78947 02/02/08 05:55 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Regarding the new 'recruits', I think Shooter may be saying that each of these candidates may have potential, some more than others, but Garth is too busy being a diva to see that. Beyond that, I'm really enjoying the new creative team, lets all give them a big "What to go!"

So what.
#78948 02/02/08 06:00 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Zero Kahn:
I am still going to cut Shooter alot of slack since he is dealing with the mess of a set up that Waid left him. He gets at least 4 or 5 issues to gradually change the tone of this series before I start nickpicking things.
I couldn't agree more ... Jim has a lot of issues to clean up. I'm thinking it's going to take him AT LEAST 6 issues to reorganize every thing and set everything up the way he wants it to be.

Right now the poor guy is doing clean up duty ... but even now the stories have been noticeably better, and knowing the perfectionist that Shooter is, I only expect them to continue in that direction.

#78949 02/02/08 06:04 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Jesse321:
Originally posted by Zero Kahn:
[b] I am still going to cut Shooter alot of slack since he is dealing with the mess of a set up that Waid left him. He gets at least 4 or 5 issues to gradually change the tone of this series before I start nickpicking things.
I couldn't agree more ... Jim has a lot of issues to clean up. I'm thinking it's going to take him AT LEAST 6 issues to reorganize every thing and set everything up the way he wants it to be.

Right now the poor guy is doing clean up duty ... but even now the stories have been noticeably better, and knowing the perfectionist that Shooter is, I only expect them to continue in that direction. [/b]
I actually liked the first 13 issues of Waid's Legion run that I have read so far. I have the other issues in trade but haven't gotten to them yet.

Waid did a FANTASTIC job on Dream Girl.

I love Shooter's 2 issues so far especially his Saturn Girl.

Hey Jesse I see you live in Sunrise FL. I live up in Delray Beach FL. Do you go to Tate's for your comics?

#78950 02/02/08 10:07 PM
A
Active
Active
A
It is still the threeboot, but it's action-y and palatable.

If Giselle is that opinionated about the UP and the Legion, I hope we don't ever see her again. I've had enough of that already.

The try-outs were fun enough, but Lightning Lad's inability to get a grip could get tiring.

I don't care at all about the threat posed by the super monster things (a.k.a. massive invasive army from space no. 378), but it was a nice use of Saturn Girl when she animated the SPs.

#78951 02/02/08 11:33 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
but it was a nice use of Saturn Girl when she animated the SPs.
Yeah that was AWESOME!

#78952 02/03/08 03:28 AM
Substitute
Substitute
... I thought the Search for Cosmic Boy was the cleanup? The direction that was being taken there was pretty interesting.
What has actually happened in the last few issues? We've been introduced to a cool character in Giselle, and she's blown the Legionnaires off. A team has been fighting the same enemies with no resolution, other than to get them shot by SP-puppets. Garth has been shown to be stressed by being leader.
Great.
(part of me wonders why they didn't do a Five Month Gap sort of thing and put some distance between previous plotlines so they could do what they wanted...)

All the build up to the 7 pre-approved candidates was cool, but it did turnout to be a BIG let down, whether it was a reference to tryouts past or not. Although I do agree about the point that Garth isn't seeing their potential - if triplicate Girl had been one of those candidates, would she have been accepted?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,258
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Elvis Lad
Elvis Lad
Hollywood, Ca
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star