Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1 (SPOILERS)
#79452 01/03/05 01:25 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Jorg-El:
JJ Thunder over in JSA, Statix, etc. I've gotten quite sick of every comic having their Shaft. Give me a young fresh black character any day.
I'm sorry, but are you saying JJ Thunder is somehow Shaft-like? I don't see that at all. He seems like a level-headed kid who's uncertain at times, but has the heart of a hero. Shaft also has a powerful sexual component that I don't believe has been explored with JJ Thunder as yet (aside from having a crush).

#79453 01/03/05 04:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
No sorry Drake I meant JJ Thunder and Statix are examples of cool young black heroes that mess up and we can relate too (versus the shaft thing).

Priest wrote a bad ass Shaft like Panther and I loved the series. But the second we got Kasper (a young black new Panther) I could relate with him much better than the King of Wakanda.

The bumbling guy is going to be easier to relate with IMO than the all star who never messes up. Go Star Boy!!!

Jorge

#79454 01/03/05 11:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I had very big reservations about the new version. I enjoyed some of the previous run (Peyer & Simone) and disliked other parts of it (DnA, Stern), but Gates was my favourite character from the previous version, and I was loathe to let him go. Of course, the way DnA serially ignored him during their run, he might as well have died in the rift anyway.

I'm happy to say I really liked it. It just "feels" right. These seem more like the teens who could evolve into the Levitz Legion I grew up loving. The scenes on the roof of the HQ clinched it for me. That was classic Legionnaire surroundings for me, it could just as easily have been bearded Thom and Blok on the roof.

I'm very hopeful for the next few issues. I want a large rotating cast and lots of interaction for all of them. This is the Legion, and in my opinion, it's back.

#79455 01/03/05 01:03 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I still have misgivings, but it was a fun enough relaunch I guess. I'll stick around and see what happens (hey I've been around for awhile anyhow)

#79456 01/03/05 01:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
"Eat it, Grandpa" is not sitting well with me. On my first reading, I thought it was cute and irreverent.

The more I think about it, the more it just seems rude and inappropriate.

It is no more acceptable me to say to someone older, "Eat it, Grandpa,", than it would be to say "Take that, faggot, sissy, rice-eater, nigger, jew-boy."

Granted "eat it , Grandpa" is a considerably more benign than any of those examples, but it is, nevertheless, an insult based on a characteristic rather than on the target's behavior.

Ageism has no more a place in the Legion than sexism, racism, or discrimination based on sexuality, religion or species.

It is vile and does not belong in a group championing an alternative to sterile complacency.

#79457 01/03/05 01:18 PM
Reservist
Reservist
^Maybe in a world of sterile complacency, actively challenging the ideas of decency (or maybe just political correctness?) is something they - rightly or wrongly - think is justified as a method to "wake people up"?

#79458 01/03/05 01:54 PM
A
Active
Active
A
See also for ageism, the SPs calling the robot team "children" and the senator referring to Cosmic Boy as "child."

#79459 01/03/05 02:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Amentep:
^Maybe in a world of sterile complacency, actively challenging the ideas of decency (or maybe just political correctness?) is something they - rightly or wrongly - think is justified as a method to "wake people up"?
Good point. But it's still a comic for a 21st century audience. It's not a dealbreaker for me, but I find it ugly.

#79460 01/03/05 02:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
See also for ageism, the SPs calling the robot team "children" and the senator referring to Cosmic Boy as "child."
True, but they're supposed to be the antagonists.

#79461 01/03/05 03:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
Granted "eat it , Grandpa" is a considerably more benign than any of those examples, but it is, nevertheless, an insult based on a characteristic rather than on the target's behavior.

Ageism has no more a place in the Legion than sexism, racism, or discrimination based on sexuality, religion or species.

It is vile and does not belong in a group championing an alternative to sterile complacency.
I know you're right, Lad Boy, but I think this is somewhat different. In the eyes of the Legion, they are talking about the "oppressors". It's not just a dislike of people because of their age but because they associate those older people with everything that's wrong in society. They must even know that they'll be adults one day, which means they're really referring to a specific generation rather than an age group.

Dan
#79462 01/03/05 03:48 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Lad Boy:
"Eat it, Grandpa" is not sitting well with me. On my first reading, I thought it was cute and irreverent.

The more I think about it, the more it just seems rude and inappropriate.

It is no more acceptable me to say to someone older, "Eat it, Grandpa,", than it would be to say "Take that, faggot, sissy, rice-eater, nigger, jew-boy."

Get a grip, man. It's a comic book.

It's a comic book that doesn't even carry the CCA. Heck, some books flaunt rape and torture.

Alas, over-analyzing and over-reacting is the way of the comic forum message boards. frown

#79463 01/03/05 03:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
In fact, society in the 31st Century looks at under 18s as mentally incapable of making correct decisions. Why else tag the children like wild animals? I think "eat it, grandpa" is something Garth said in response to a particular thing some adult did or said to him. Cos just chose to use it in the same manner. I doubt this is a Legion battle cry by any means.

Dan
#79464 01/03/05 03:59 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
Well, people sometimes say things in anger or frustration that they later regret. Being a "super-hero" doesn't necessarily make one immune to that.

Watching television is not an activity.
#79465 01/03/05 04:00 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
I think "eat it, grandpa" is something Garth said in response to a particular thing some adult did or said to him.
That's my thought as well - it was a one-off comment made in a public forum, not really an "Avengers Assemble" kind of rallying cry.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the adult he said it to was RJ Brande?

"You'll be a - a club. A Super-Heroes Club, officially sanctioned by the UP, with a club house, and a planetary chance machine, and girls won't go on dangerous missions, and Marla will watch over you..."

"Eat it, grandpa."

#79466 01/03/05 04:47 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm not gonna critique or review the book since so many others have already.
I just want to say well done guys.
A good start, looking forward to many years of great stories.

LLL

#79467 01/03/05 06:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just read it. Mixed feelings.

It was pretty cool. I guess some would say we should be happy to have a Legion at all. I am not digging the adults vs kids thing at all. It goes hand and hand with the cornball thing. I am not a fan of the Adventure stuff honestly or character like Matter Eater Lad or Bouncing Boy. While I hated the ZH Legion I gotta say DnA last series was better. I didn't mind the rehash of some old stories and it sure felt like the Levitz Legion alot more than this does. The only thing I liked abut the ZH Legion (initially) was the new codenames. The Lad/Lass IMO just isn't that cool...they outgrew in the nineties and were about 10 to 15 years too late when they did.

I feel bad for DnA cause they got bumped off at their peak...kinda like Waid/Ringo did on FF.

Let me get a bit more positive it's better than any Zero Hour material save the last series. smile

A note on the retro thing of imitating a past era. When Swing music and dancing came back what made it "cool" was the mix of the old with the new. Swingers dressed like the days of old yet with tattoos and piercings all over their bodies. This is missing the "tatoos and piercings". I am not sure kids today will like this...and while many here are into the cornier stuff including young kids...in my mind it feeds into that minority that read comics not the majority of kids. DnA's Legion seemed more like celebrities while this Legion reminds of N'Sync doing public service commercials "Even nerds can be cool kids!".

Positive potential? The Lallor thing really interested me. I loved Sun Boy though strangely I agreed with the more conservative Cosmic Boy. Best Kitson art I've ever seen. The art nitpick is I wouldn't mind Jo's green dragon a bit fuller in the wings like it's been in the past. Element Lad not good in red...rather have blue or something else. Overall I agree the colors were dull (especially compared to DnA's Legion) but I am not sure if bright colors would fit Barry's art so I don't mind it. Lots of room for potential. As I've stated before on this thread the extreme between the kids and adult may be something for the first arc...both sides may get closer as the arc continues I hope. Quality of work is great but I don't dig the entire direction. And honestly enjoyed the last incarnation of the Legion better.

Jorge (wonder if we need a 13 year old consultant to coplot the book ala Shooter cause right now these kids are as cool as middle aged men reliving the silver age wink )

#79468 01/03/05 07:38 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
Originally posted by Starbucks Kid:
Get a grip, man. It's a comic book.

It's a comic book that doesn't even carry the CCA. Heck, some books flaunt rape and torture.

Alas, over-analyzing and over-reacting is the way of the comic forum message boards. frown
Actually, I don't think stating one's opinion is being either "over-analyzing" or "over-reacting." No more than any of your opinions can be categorized in such a way. Right?

#79469 01/03/05 08:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just read it again cause I sounded kinda sour before wanted to see what the 2nd sitting would give me.

I wonder if the adults have powers? Maybe this young generation is the first ones with powers for some reason (genetic engineering). Jo's comment about earth natives not having powers...if this generation is the first to exhibit these powers it would explain why the adults don't trust them (aka fear them). Yes it's very much like the X-men but in a more sci-fi futuristic kinda way. If this is the case it would make much more sense....not only are they teens...their teens with powers that the parents don't have...interesting.

Jorge

#79470 01/03/05 09:10 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That's an interesting spin Jorge. It reminds me more of Alan Moore's MiracleMan than it does an X book though. That got wierd but it was a fantastic read.

I'm still stuck on the clone line and your statement reminded me that I'd wonderd if some of these teens have powers that were chosen by their parents during the genetic selection process? Or if there's a socio-cultural difference between a "native" earth dweller and a bio-engineered-and-artificial-yet-identical-to-a-real-person help-clone.

How deeply science fictiony is Mark going to make this book? I've already seen alusions to Metropolis, Brave New World and 1984, (mainly from people critiquing the comic) I think it's good to have a grasp on the fundamentals when you pick it up at the store and I hope we get a strong classic sci-fi background for future writers of the book to spin stories out of.

So far I've liked Waid's science fiction. His Flash run was a great fun ride and I really have high hopes for this book.

#79471 01/03/05 10:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hey YK, well it seems all the kids are on Soma IMO. smile I agree if the teens are genetically different for some reason than the parents there is lots of drama there.

As for the clone debate? Someone said about Lallor...what if the kids were clone? Or what if Lallor really fears the young because they are MUTANTS. On Earth they seem to be more tolerant as well on other worlds (save Daxam). "Eat it Grandpa"? I am imagining if this is the first generation of humans on the UP worlds to exhibit powers (on a higher level maybe?) they've been raised to be REAL careful. "eat it granpa" indeed...a lifetime of holding back? I say thee nay!

See i feel better about the issue already (cause I know there is much more to all of this than first appears). Thanks YK!!!

Jorge

#79472 01/04/05 12:20 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I am imagining if this is the first generation of humans on the UP worlds to exhibit powers
Or what if....

This is the first generation of humans on the UP worlds that the UP hasn't been able to "silence" yet? !O.o!

#79473 01/04/05 06:58 AM
Deputy
Deputy
"Maybe this young generation is the first ones with powers for some reason (genetic engineering)."

Well, some of them (Chameleon) appear to have powers native to their race, but you may be on the something, Jorge. Waid has already made a big deal about "gentech", and it's probably no coincidence that the Dominators were mentioned in the very first issue.

#79474 01/04/05 07:32 AM
Active
Active
"Alas, over-analyzing and over-reacting is the way of the comic forum message boards"

lol, this from the man who compared #1 to 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. smile

#79475 01/04/05 10:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Does the term 'Adult' carry the same meaning in the 31st century? I wonder if it's like the voting rights in 'Starship Trooper' where the citizen needs either a lot of money or military service to gain these rights. I can't wait to read more about the civilisation that the Legion inhabits.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#79476 01/04/05 07:31 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Heh, glad someone got the joke, bubble.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,253
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star