Roll Call
0 members (), 47 Murran Spies, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 01:47 PM
Legion Trivia 6
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/17/24 08:20 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 06:19 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 06:19 AM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by razsolo - 05/17/24 05:44 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/16/24 03:17 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Re: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1 (SPOILERS)
#79527 01/10/05 11:47 PM
Deputy
Deputy
The only thing I'm not sure I like so far in the concept is the fact the Legion is a group of anarchists smile

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#79528 01/11/05 07:36 AM
Deputy
Deputy
What else would teenagers be?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#79529 01/11/05 07:59 AM
C
Active
Active
C
On the other hand, the UP is starting to look increasingly totalitarian. A radical response is necessitated by any tyranny.

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#79530 01/11/05 01:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I haven't had a chance to pick up my comics yet, but I'm dying to know... What does the new HQ look like? Is it a tower, or a satellite, or a disco?

Spill it, someone! (Or scan it, if you so desire laugh )

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#79531 01/11/05 02:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
I haven't had a chance to pick up my comics yet, but I'm dying to know... What does the new HQ look like? Is it a tower, or a satellite, or a disco?

Spill it, someone! (Or scan it, if you so desire laugh )
Bottom right-hand corner -

[Linked Image]

#79532 01/11/05 02:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmmmmm... I like it, but it kinda blends in with the rest of the city. Is it supposed to?

Maybe a different color, or a big "L"...

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#79533 01/11/05 03:42 PM
Candidate
Candidate
Cheers for clearing the Cham/Chess mystery up Barry. I know that you're probably just teasing us and that _this_ is the key moment of foreshadowing for the entire run. Innit? <g>

So pleased that certain things I wasn't sure of in the initial designs (or even in the TT/Legion special) now look great, with only the tiniest bit of re-jigging. I'm thinking specifically of Sun Boy. The costume works so well now he has red sleeves, and his hair isn't so dorky (did I say this months ago? Can't remember. Feels like we've been waiting an age for issue one to hit).

In short: love the art Barry.

"These aren't Cha Cha heels! You've ruined Christmas!"
#79534 01/12/05 10:06 PM
Active
Active
Hmmm, Barry, on page 3, bottom panel - is that the impervious Berton Diib getting squeezed by Green Lantern? He is your creation isn't he?

Finally read the issue tonight (I just got out of the hospital and couldn't get a hold of the darn issue frown ) and I really enjoyed it. If adults are the only anagonists in this series for awhile, however, it will get old quickly. I've always had a problem with "kids know best" storylines. As a teacher, I see high school students every day, and as much as they should be allowed to express themselves and be taught to think for themselves, many do not have enough wisdom and experience to draw from in order to make the best choices on their own. Nearly all rely on peers for guidance and direction. Those that are the most emotionally stable and content with themselves are the ones who have the closest relationships with their parents and often look to them for guidance in their lives. So are we to believe that this Legion is made up of discontented youths whose "parents just don't understand"? (thank you Will Smith)

Another thing that bothered me was the human shield. If thousands of children were to form a human shield for the cause of a certain "philosophy", most reasonable people would wonder what kind of cult had brainwashed them. I guess my biggest disapointment so far is that while we have seen the children take up a cause, we haven't really seen anything worthwhile to rebel against. What are they fighting for? What's so bad about the adults of this time? They won't let the kids read comic books or wear T-shirts with big L's? Does that make this Legion is a comparison to the discontented youth of the 60's whose parents disapproved of their long hair and rock music? Obviously this is more than just a simple rejection of parent's values since blood is being shed over the issue.

I just don't like rooting for anarchists which is what this Legion seems to be. I'm hoping that the new Legion philosophy which new recruits are forced to accept will be clearly defined over the next several issues and will have a clear message other than "eat it grandpa". Right now I'm not impressed with the motivation behind the Legion's existence.

The art was terrific, however. The new costumes all seem to be winners so far (except Chameleon's - still looks awkward). The personalities of the Legionnaires also came through nicely. Star Boy is becoming an early favorite. This may sound politically incorrect, but it's nice to see a black person portrayed who isn't exactly the strong, bold, leader as has been the tendency recently in comics (see Mr. Terrific, Cyborg, Kid Quantum, that woman from Power Company - aargh can't think of her name, as well as Josiah Power). While there was nothing wrong with those characters, it's nice to see Star Boy portrayed as just an average guy.

I'll remain a loyal reader, but the above concerns do bother me. I have enough faith in Waid as a writer, though, that things will be more clear in the future.

#79535 01/12/05 11:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Good points Super Lad Kid. Makes me wonder if this adults vs. teens thing is just the focus of the first arc or entire series? I agree i hope it's for the short term.

Now to Cham. I'm a big Cham fan of the old days. But Cham in ZH was so bland...and he again appears bland IMO. The Cham I knew and loved was one of the smartest Legionnaires, a detective, questioned the leader all the time, heck disobeyed rules. After ZH he needs some spice and what i've seen I don't care for.

#79536 01/13/05 01:06 AM
Active
Active
Hi Guys
As I've warned before - the antagonism between the "adults and kids" is more a back drop to what's really happening than a central conflict. A truer picture of the universe and what's going on will emerge over the coming issues. All is not as straight forward as it seems.

As for Cham - part of what he's going through at the moment is his 'awkwardness' - be patient with him... wink

Thanks for the compliments on the artwork Bruce and SLK! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#79537 01/13/05 09:04 AM
C
Active
Active
C
Finally read the issue tonight (I just got out of the hospital and couldn't get a hold of the darn issue frown ) and I really enjoyed it. If adults are the only anagonists in this series for awhile, however, it will get old quickly. I've always had a problem with "kids know best" storylines. As a teacher, I see high school students every day, and as much as they should be allowed to express themselves and be taught to think for themselves, many do not have enough wisdom and experience to draw from in order to make the best choices on their own. Nearly all rely on peers for guidance and direction. Those that are the most emotionally stable and content with themselves are the ones who have the closest relationships with their parents and often look to them for guidance in their lives. So are we to believe that this Legion is made up of discontented youths whose "parents just don't understand"? (thank you Will Smith)
I think its important to also realize that childhood has been getting longer and longer and longer and longer with the lengthening of parent's lives. In 1000 years its entirely possible that adults can remain active and vital well into their 200s. Our reaction is increasingly the 20s have become not our 'adulthood' but in fact actually a protracted teenage years. "Clerks" is viewed as a seminal movie in parts because its something that touched on this and I assumed (perhaps wrongly Barry) that there might be an undercurrent here since its also clear that 14 year olds and the like are also better educated and more capable than adults at our time ironically in the future. In effect, the entire future may be a geritocracy where people are expected to never reach their full potential because at 40 years old (looking fab in their bodysuits) they're still waiting for something to emerge in the job market that will allow them to be useful. The Legion, as a "child act" may have unconsciously started as a revolution because the children of society from 14-40 realized that they are every bit as entitled to be treated for their abilities and chance to grow as people whom have merely held their opinions for so long....some will certainly be righter than others of course in their capability of suceeding in society.

Another thing that bothered me was the human shield. If thousands of children were to form a human shield for the cause of a certain "philosophy", most reasonable people would wonder what kind of cult had brainwashed them.
The obvious Tianamen Square parralell clearly causes many Americans discomfort as they find the closest parralells in chaining oneself to a tree in Old growth forrests. The fact basically remains that the "children" (who seem to be mostly mid-twenties and college student age-men who used to own vast plantations, were married with kids of their own, and ran businesses) seem quite willing to lay down their lives against an illegal bulldozing of their gathering place. They aren't even associating with any "cult leaders" or charismatic figures so its not exactly possible to brainwashed. Clearly, many adults may be alarmed though that so many are willing to lay down their lives to protect what basically amounts to a club.

The appeal is clear to me "Here, we are equal. Here we can explore our scientiffic, physical, and mental potential. Here, we are a society."

Quite bluntly, I wonder if the LSV won't come from here because with a message so simple and appealing...the idea people will kill for it is perfectly understandable. The "establishment's" responses practically GUARANTEE violent reaction.

I guess my biggest disapointment so far is that while we have seen the children take up a cause, we haven't really seen anything worthwhile to rebel against. What are they fighting for? What's so bad about the adults of this time? They won't let the kids read comic books or wear T-shirts with big L's? Does that make this Legion is a comparison to the discontented youth of the 60's whose parents disapproved of their long hair and rock music? Obviously this is more than just a simple rejection of parent's values since blood is being shed over the issue.
I honestly hope the creators tell us what exactly the Legion stands for. I'm hoping oddly its something simple but timeless. Personally, my estimation is...

* To each person is allowed to utilize their abilities to the greater good by their maturity regardless of age or planet or species.

* A Galactic government to promote peace and understanding with a punishment of right's breakers.

* Direct action to end civil wars and other conflicts in the galaxy.

I just don't like rooting for anarchists which is what this Legion seems to be.
Let's face it. The moment the government started using Bulldozers and guns against the Legion who was nonviolently protesting. The moment in my world that they immediately needed to be overthrown. Any society that attacks its own citizens is illegal.

This is the core of my patriotism to my own country. Had this been less heavy handed (we just don't like you) and there was respect then it'd be a better conflict. Since shots have been fired, I don't blame any Legionaires if they strike back in whatever way possible.

Thanks

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#79538 01/13/05 09:14 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
As for Cham - part of what he's going through at the moment is his 'awkwardness' - be patient with him... wink
So, you think of Cham as a HIM. That's a relief.

#79539 01/13/05 06:18 PM
Candidate
Candidate
Now, if we can think of him with antennae we'll be back in business! (I'd comvinced myself they'd appear when he 'read' an organism so he can morph into it).

I'm strangely taken with the freakish surprised look that new Cham has. I can't quite imagine him being fun at parties though.

"These aren't Cha Cha heels! You've ruined Christmas!"
#79540 01/13/05 08:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cham's antennae do appear when he's about to shapeshift. You can see them in the Lallor scenes.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#79541 01/13/05 10:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Trom, don't be suprised if Cham tries to be a "her" for an issue or a story arc even. smile Awkwardness indeed. Then realizes a him better.

I understand the awkwardness Barry thanks. I will be patient it's just a carry over from ZH. he's been awkward since 1996 now. wink But I am looking foward to see how you guys flesh him out.

Jorge

#79542 01/13/05 10:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
BTW, Barry I said this is the best work I've ever seen from you (haven't seen Empire though). But I did see your JSA All Stars Dr. Strange story...that was nice!

Jorge

#79543 01/14/05 04:14 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Intrigued by the awkwardness of Cham (well I would be!) and wonder if he will explore it by relating to his fellow Legionnaires. Is it coincidence his front costume panel is very reminiscent of Element Lad's costume. Is Cham drawing on E-lad as an early influence in his development? What you think?

#79544 01/14/05 03:39 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Empire was good. I recommend going out and snagging a copy of it. You should go visit Barry's site to see the first few pages of the maxi-series.

#79545 01/14/05 05:56 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
So I finally picked up the book today.

My overall reaction is... well... kind of mixed. It's well written, and I really like the "Society for Creative Anachronism" spin on the Legion, but... I don't know. Somehow I'm having a hard time seeing this as something that's going to hold my attention for the long-term. It just feels like a really solid Elseworlds story.

#79546 01/14/05 08:34 PM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
I also just got mine recently. I loved the art and the concept we have, but I'm in the boat with Eryk. This is an interesting, enjoyable tale but I still have this nagging feeling this is an Elseworld and the postboot is still around somewhere. In time, I'll probably get over that notion, but right now things are still new.

Enjoyed the interactions of the members and the 'youthfulness' that everyone seems to have in how they act. The headquarters looks fun and I'm looking forward to seeing more. Also interested to see more of the set-up outside headquarters and how exactly 75,000 kids live out there and entertain each other without mobbing the HQ for the restroom or some amusement. I liked Star Boy's explanation that they choose to stay out there and I really enjoyed the "we're here because of them" notion, letting us know that the team really does appreciate everyone out there.

I liked Waid's writing and the concept of the SP officers comm-texting each other in the same room. It's true that kids do that now and I imagine everyone might catch on in centuries to come. Even with the 'teenaged feel' the Legionnaires had to most of their speak, I was a little mirked by the "Eat it, Grandpa" and "kick some ass" quotes. I guess the former would make more sense if we knew the scenario where Lightning Lad came up with it. The "kick some ass" line just didn't feel right coming from Cos, but that's just the continuity freak within me expecting these characters to be the same again. Obviously there are some differences that will be creeping up as we go along.

Highly looking forward to the next two issues, as it sounds like we'll get a better look at the other Legionnaires and hopefully learn how they came to be. I'm excited for the Brainy/Dreamy dynamic and learning about the Legionnaires who weren't featuried in the story. I'm also silently holding on to the chance XS may come back in some form, being a Waid-influenced creation.

Many thanks to Barry, Mark, and crew for the work they put into the book! I'm definitely intrigued and want to learn more about our new Legion.

#79547 01/15/05 02:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Regarding the officers com-texting each other in the same room, another reason could be that, in this hyper-controlled society, everything official gets recorded and/or monitored. Rather than face each other to speak, they're just in the habit of speaking to the screen.

Or maybe it's a technique to protect one's personal space by pretending the other person isn't right there beside you. A psychologist could probably come up with a lot of reasons why this sort of behaviour would become entrenched.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#79548 01/15/05 02:55 AM
Active
Active
Hi FC - I think you got it right with your first speculation - society has accepted the norm of speaking to each other via telecommunication devices most of the time - avoiding 'tricky' personal contact. That's just one of the things the Legion are trying to change.
Most people on Earth rarely interact face to face with anyone other than their immediate family, so for the youngsters in LSH, being together with so many others, often from alien cultures, is part of the thrill in what they are doing.

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#79549 01/15/05 07:37 AM
Active
Active
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
As for Cham - part of what he's going through at the moment is his 'awkwardness' - be patient with him...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you think of Cham as a HIM. That's a relief.

--------------------
In TMK didn't Ren Daggle give "birth" to Reep and his mate Zhay "birth" to Liggt?--Mixing gender characteristics among Durlans is hardly a new concept.

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#79550 01/15/05 07:58 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Right Korbal, but except for the famous "Lovey-Dovey" scene, Cham's humanoid persona was always unquestionably male. Jorge-El is probably correct in speculating that Cham will experiment with different facades before settling on one ... which I hope is male.

#79551 01/16/05 01:34 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
got it today!!!! want to add a comment to Barry's artwork:

I agree with everyone's commenting on Ultra Boy's emblem needing to be bigger - I have always felt that Ultra Boy is one of the stockiest boy of them.

Secondly, on page 20, panel 3 (Karate Kid) and panel 4 (Phantom Girl) SHOULD definitely made into Legion posters, spotlighting each Legionnaires. Those panels are awesome!!! I hope that Barry gets to do more individuals in action!

third - I am glad that Phantom Girl still can fight and be still immaterial! She's spunky!

fourth - how come Shrinking Violet won't be called "Petite Girl", instead of "Atom Girl"? *sigh*

fifth - please please hope to see the Lallorian heroes sometimes soon.

Barry - care to hint us that we may see the Legion of Substitute Heroes sometimes in 2nd year? laugh

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,408
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
crooow, DrJohnnyDiablo, sheer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Triad Purple
Triad Purple
Cargg
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star