Roll Call
1 members (Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand), 45 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:31 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:30 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Let's talk about Legion Of Super-Heroes #3...[SPOILERS]
#82509 02/26/05 08:12 AM
Deputy
Deputy
So... It was taking me a while to warm to this new Legion series, but I think this issue tipped me over the edge. I really enjoyed it; we had a nice blend of teenage antics, humour and shadowy politics, all presented by Barry's usual impeccable art.
(Although I must say the inking looked a bit scratchy in some parts - Barry's art deserves as crisp a line as possible, I think.)
I'll need to see the next issue, but consider me pleasantly surpsised. smile

Wayne@OZ
#82510 02/26/05 11:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm getting that "each issue is better than the last" feeling I wanted so much, one of the signs of a hit comic book.

With Mark doing a WONDERFUL job of keeping the levity high in this series (THANK you! And I totaly agree with Nightcrawler's comment that this is a great bridge from the Silver Age to Modern storytelling), I have to ask-- why NOT use Matter-Eater Lad and Bouncing Boy?!? These 2 would rock in Waid's LSH.

I recently reread the whole run of L.E.G.I.O.N. Just about every issue of that book balanced a nice level of humour with action and in-fighting. That technique of writing seems to have been perfected on this current run of LSH.

THANK YOU, WaK & Wacker!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#82511 02/26/05 11:27 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tromium:
I also had some problems with Waid's overly verbose dialogue, e.g, [b]"Under what circumstances can you imagine I might refer to a matter-energy logistics difficulty as, I quote, 'licked'". Even Brainy choked on that one. [/b]
I thought it sounded just right for something he might say, especially when twitting Cos. Convoluted but grammatically correct, with a definite punchline.

Worse was Garth mouthing words like [b]"Despite its disadvantagous distance from anything even remotely resembling a United Planets stronghold, blah, blah..." He just doesn't talk like that. [/b]
Perhaps he does now. smile Waid doesn't seem to have a problem casualizing dialogue when he wants to, so this could herald a personality change for Garth. (If so, I'd miss the reboot version--I thought he had one of the most interesting personalities in the Legion--but so it goes.)

It could also be that people tend to try to sound more sophisticated when talking to Brainy--Cos doesn't seem immune to this. Insecurity, maybe.

Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
As to that entire planet of TGs - it didn't make sense that they were all dressed in her Legion uniform, albeit minus the TG symbol, prior to her joining. Why would she create a tribute to old superhero duds, complete with cape, on her own?
Perhaps Waid's reviving the Silver Age idea that most of the alien Legionnaires' costumes were simply whatever they wore in daily life. In one version of his origin, Lightning Lad actually happened to be wearing his full caped outfit, with lightning bolts, just before he got his powers!

We can only hope Element Lad falls in with this trend.

#82512 02/26/05 11:52 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
You know I had to weigh in on this one.

Count me in the same camp with those who were wary of Infinite Girl's new origin at first - but eventually succumbed to it by issue's end. It was her segregation from the other TGs on her return to the planet that won me over - plus the fact that the new TG would have near encyclopeidic knowledge. Also, there will be no point in killing off any of her bodies for dramatic impact when a whole planet could take her place. As to that entire planet of TGs - it didn't make sense that they were all dressed in her Legion uniform, albeit minus the TG symbol, prior to her joining. Why would she create a tribute to old superhero duds, complete with cape, on her own? I'm also troubled by the flight ring's inability to triplicate. That is only going to add to the standard view that Lu is a useless superhero.
Here was my thought on the matter. Ever see any of the old stories that show Lightning Lad's origin? Originally, he was alone on Korbal and wearing his costume. They later retconned in Mekt and Ayla and eventually removed the costumes from the origins, but it was definitely there. I was thinking that maybe Kitson was going for that same kind of feel. She wasn't really wearing her costume all that time; it's just how she was depicted in the flashback.

Dan
#82513 02/26/05 07:24 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by SiliconDream:
[b]Worse was Garth mouthing words like [b]"Despite its disadvantagous distance from anything even remotely resembling a United Planets stronghold, blah, blah..." He just doesn't talk like that. [/b]
Perhaps he does now. smile Waid doesn't seem to have a problem casualizing dialogue when he wants to, so this could herald a personality change for Garth. [/b]
Well, this is the same guy who coined "Eat it, grandpa" so I doubt he's changed all that much. smile

While we're on the subject of language, I think we heard a "grife" in an earlier issue, but "sprock" and "nass" seem to have fallen out of favor. That's what's been missing -- some reimagined 31st century cuss words. If these kids are supposed to be wilder than before, they should talk wilder than before.

#82514 02/26/05 07:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Studge THAT!

This crokkin' ZAKS!

Oh, yeah? Well, you can dujj OFF, stupid!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#82515 02/28/05 12:28 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Finally got to the store this Sunday. I share Lash's "each issue better than the last" feeling, as Waid and Kitson spotlight additional characters and keep the underlying big plot percolating.

I was tickled by TG's new origin, and found it quite satisfactory in answering why someone would have this power, and appropriately Silver Agey, too. As I dimly recall, the original explanation for Cargggite powers was the need for more people to fight monsters. That's the exact catalyst for the new TG's abilities, too, although with a little more immediate drama. I also like that Waid has come up with a new, and logical, reason for TG to be isolated from her people, a nice aspect of the character's previous incarnations. I particularly like Waid and Kitson's motivation because it is an experience many young people have -- they go off to college, the military, or just a long class trip, and come back feeling alienated from their once comfortable surroundings.

I really like that Waid has, for each Legionnaire, highlighted an interesting implication of his/her power -- in this case, TG's file-sharing knowledge base. I also like the air of mystery about events on Carggg. Of course, I will like it less in the long run if Waid or future writers NEVER get back to it. But for now, I can be a patient man.

I found all the other characters delightful, as well, even Cosmic Boy. I am so far pleased that Ultra Boy is arrogant and hedonistic, but not stupid. Chameleon has a sense of humor, and recognizable emotions of embarrassment and frustration. Dating as we know it does not exist on Trom. Sun Boy is Dirk Morgna, and accidentally melts things.

Overall, the character development, character-driven drama and genuine humor made this a delightful read for me.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#82516 03/01/05 04:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Studge THAT!

This crokkin' ZAKS!

Oh, yeah? Well, you can dujj OFF, stupid!
Lester? Is that you?

Grimp it! I still haven't gotten the issue. But it will crokkin' zak when it gets here.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#82517 03/02/05 10:31 AM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Rejected Substitute Reservist
This was a great ish. it looks like the legion's bout to have a little civil war! it'll be interesting to see who takes what side. Also, a few chars we haven't seen yet could be brought in to be ringers for Brainy or Cos smile

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#82518 03/03/05 02:49 PM
Honorary
Honorary
So, does anyone else predict that we will be seeing the rest of the Cargg Girls later on? Maybe in some sort of last ditch climactic battle against the enemy… Hypothetically, the espionage squad now could have an army behind them…. Assuming there is an espionage squad…. Assuming the Craggs would fight for them... well....

at least it seems like a standard comic book setup, for a wonderful standard comic book plot twist.

#82519 03/03/05 02:58 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I bet the entire population gets wiped out eventually.

#82520 03/03/05 04:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Despite their planetary aresnal of really really REALLY big handbags?!? Tish-Bosh!

#82521 03/03/05 05:44 PM
C
Active
Active
C
Here's my "stream of consciousness" reactions to this issue.

Personally, I thought this issue was the best for showing how the Legionaires' lived. We actually get past the "tell, don't show" exposition. We see how the United Planets people react to a situation, two average citizens, and also the Legion trying to act like normal teenagers. It's an issue that's fun for its own sake.

Lu's origin isn't that problematic for me, though I do think it skirts on the edge of where Waid made his first mistake and that was messing too much with the original legion formula. I'm also noting some stuff from the reboot is being 'harvested' like Ultra Boy the juvenile delinquent and Element Lad as a religious figure. The problem with this is that I think its honestly a mistake and its best to just go as much preboot as possible.

The date between Element Lad and Triplicate Girl was amusing and I must confess I absolutely love Triplicate Chica's look. The wide eyes at Element Lad trying to make conversation were hiliarious yet also very cute.

My favorite part of the book though is the fact that they're incorporating the Silver Age into the Legion continuity by clearly assuming it is the actual past and explaining it away via comics. I absolutely love it honestly and enjoyed the Vici Vale appearence.

Of course, I love any use of the old Batman comics. I even enjoy the horrific blasphemy of 'Bruce wayne, pipe smoking Negro' where they redubbed the first Batman comic to point out the implausibilities of possibly anything coming by his window that night.

I do love Ultraboy's car though. It's a great little engine.

I'm alittle annoyed though by Brainiac 5 being portrayed as the demented little mastermind that he is. I don't much care for it honestly.

Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
#82522 03/03/05 08:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I bet the entire population gets wiped out eventually.
Again?! Cargg was already wiped out!

Dan
#82523 03/03/05 08:46 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
Lu's origin isn't that problematic for me, though I do think it skirts on the edge of where Waid made his first mistake and that was messing too much with the original legion formula. I'm also noting some stuff from the reboot is being 'harvested' like Ultra Boy the juvenile delinquent and Element Lad as a religious figure. The problem with this is that I think its honestly a mistake and its best to just go as much preboot as possible.
Hm, and I liked it because it seemed so very preboot!

Ultra Boy as a bit of a roughneck wasn't invented after Zero Hour, nor was Element Lad's spriritual nature. They were just caricatured in the Archie Legion.

And I love the very silver agey quick introductions of characters, their powers and a bit of origin - blanks to be filled in later.

#82524 03/03/05 10:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Geez, do we HAVE to use the words "Silver Age" it's such a turn off. smile

#82525 03/03/05 10:56 PM
C
Active
Active
C
Alright,

the time when the Legion was American Idol and they liked to just mess with famous historical figures.

#82526 03/03/05 11:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
lol, good Charles. I ofcourse was jkidding...kinda. wink

#82527 03/03/05 11:43 PM
C
Active
Active
C
Here's another one

"The time when there's no real villains but a bunch of disgruntled non-'in crowd' kids who would have been okay kids if the damn Legion wasn't so exclusive' time."

#82528 03/04/05 10:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
FINALLY read it. Interesting...many thoughts.

First off the art...Barry has been knocking my socks off. I guess this issue was an exception but not due to Barry. His Sun Boy was awesome I gotta say. But the dull colors finally got to me. I didn't mind them before cause the first two issues scared me all silver agey that I was glad for a dark tone. But this issue would have certainly have worked better brighter...just look at how awesome the cover looks. Kudos to Barry though for the NINE panel grid! I was a fan when Giffen used it way before v4. Also I think the lack of the cha-ching action shots we got the last two issues may be a reason for not being wowed. Solid storytelling though and I think that was the goal.

Triplicate Girl? Love her new origin! You all have said enough but I bought from the start...very creative. Is she gonna be able to make a unimind again? cool.

The not so good: Cham. Sorry I just can't stand him playing the awkward confused alien yet again. The Cham I knew and loved was James Bond/Sherlock Holmes rolled into one. I think some of that sinister stuff Brainy is using should have rubbed on Cham. Put Cham is Brainy's clique or something.

Micro Lad? Waid has pushed some jokes and other things in the first three issues I question big time for a new series. I know he thinks Gim calling himself Micro Lad is a hoot...but...um...nah. I would have worked much different...there is an upside to Waid's Gim I will get to later.

Jokes. The jokes so far seem very forced and not so funny. Plus sometimes I wonder if newbies might get them.

Violet is shy? Blah. I hope that means she is very deep undercover and makes her first appearance by decking someone. "what you looking at?"

The good? Let's start with Gim since I am on that thought. I really like Gim as an alien. "You little people crack me up". Great stuff and very different for Gim. I like it. I would have worked Gim being called Colossal Boy but every once in a while he tells them he really wants to be called Micro Lad...(then explain his origin ala Claremont style). Anyways the alien Gim I really like...sadly it means Blok may not be around for a while. Gim took the alien aspect of Blok out but I like Gim this way. COOL.

Interaction: Ok I can write forever about this issue which I would like to give mad props to the creative team for the 40 pages! Nice. Character interaction has been Waid's strong point in this series so far and he won me over even

Even the corny Clark/Lois game won me over.

The Brainy/Cos struggle is VERY interesting. Very.

This issue may have done it. I have lots of problems with certain things but this was quite enjoyable and I even got into the retro (ugh i thought that fad was over by now) stuff they are going for.

Still can't wait for Timberwolf or Wildfire to show up with a "rad" costume calling the capes dorks...but i see some magic at the end of the tunnel. So yeah I liked it. wink

#82529 03/04/05 11:06 AM
C
Active
Active
C
It's my hope that Violet will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, remotely become the tough girl she was before.

I don't think Chameleon is awkward though. It's not like he can't speak Interlac like in the retcon. He's he's just got appalling taste in jokes and there's no seeming unjustified prejudice against Durlans either.

#82530 03/04/05 05:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well I'm a big fan of Violet and Cham. But I came on when they were more developed. These two do nothing for me and it's many steps backwards IMO. It's like returning Daredevil to his yellow suit...eck.

Violet is shy again and Cham is ignorant! yay...not.

#82531 03/04/05 05:54 PM
Honorary
Honorary
After several readings, I'm convinced this arc to introduce us to the new legion is going to be seen in retrospect as classic storytelling. I love the pacing ... why can't we go weekly??
I need a fix so bad

Cos/Brainy's conflict .. sparring over goats, but beneath the surface a fundamental divergence ... so which way will the new Legion go.

I'm old, (I pretend that means wise) and I'm ready to wait for this arc to unfold. You can sense the two camps forming up in the three volumes we have ... but for this Legion to suceed, we need a uniting focus ... a catalyist to bring all the Legionniares inside and outside the Clubhouse together ... that is my hope, we are on a roller-coaster ride, and the next three issues are so important to the succcess of this Legion incarnation. I get incoherent when I think too much on how it will develop, and its not just the Shiras ...

My vote goes for Shikari in the shadows, but I'm keeping an open mind.

The Legion (roughly Adv. 312) was the first comic I engaged with on an obsessive/compulsive level (the first 12 issues of Xmen was the next) and I can't remember when I have been so enthused about a title as Barry and Mark have managed in this book. As a Scot, I just wish reboot would get on board!

God this wine is good! ... Aussie of course.

#82532 03/05/05 01:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just because we haven't seen Vi doesn't mean she's shy. In fact, I'd be willing to bet money that whenever we do get around to seeing her she's not going to be.

As much as I prefer it, "shy" Vi is a very tired personality trait for her and a character journey I bet Waid isn't wanting to go down again. "Tough" Vi is also an extremely boring character trait too though - cliched and kinda pathetic, the Legionnaire with the weakest power (in some people's opinons - certainly not mine) acting all bitchy and hard-assed to overcompensate. Its the Napoleon Syndrome and certainly not very endearing.

Vi is such a problematic character for me though - the preboot Vi was my favourite female Legionnaire. But the reboot one was my most hated character in the entire Legion universe - *HATED* her.

For this reason I hope that whenever we do get around to meeting Vi, she's unlike any previous version we've seen - I don't want to be reminded of the good or bad Vi's we've had before but just to like this new Vi on her own merits. So far, Waid's doing a good job of that - I like the air of mystery he's creating around her but the telling will be when we finally get to meet her.

#82533 03/05/05 01:43 AM
Leader
Leader
Could someone explain what Lu's origin is? I'd like to know.

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,162
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star