Roll Call
0 members (), 52 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/08/24 06:48 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Little Legion Tidbit
#82855 08/16/04 10:23 PM
G
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
G
This may (or may not!) interest some Legion readers here.

I was offered Legion right before doing a very very very small con in upstate New York. The main reason I wanted to go was to meet some friends I'd only really known online, like Heidi MacDonald, Buddy Scalera, and especially Tom Peyer.

Now, Tom is someone I adore. I loved his writing before I 'met' him online, through mutual pal Mark Waid. His stuff always seemed incredibly smart to me, yet still had lots of action and character stuff--in short, he's world class in his work.

But more than that, he's one of the kindest, funniest people I've ever met, on the net or otherwise. He's always doing the right thing, always concerned about people, and he never fails to make me bust a gut laughing, yet because he lived on one side of the country, and I the other, we'd never really met.

Anyway, I got to the hotel (which was kind of a nightmare, nobody's fault, these things happen) the night before the con and finally got to meet him and just gave him the hugest hug. It's really exciting to meet friends you've known forever for the first time.

We had some fun, went out for crazy pizza in this bizarre town, and the next day, the con was really, really slow so we got to leave our posts for a while to have lunch in the cafeteria. Former Marvel editor now freelance writer Stuart Moore was there. Stuart filled me in on some of the stuff behind the cancellation of Night Nurse that made things a little clearer to me...again, no one's fault, just good to know.

And eventually I mentioned to Tom that I'd been offered Legion but was really hesitant. There were lots of reasons, but I couldn't get past the idea that Legion really is a very special book.

And Tom said something that decided it for me, but not til I was flying home a couple days later did I really get it. Tom said, "Well, you know, the characters are really loveable."

I thought he was kidding...cranky Brainy, sly Cham, etc...loveable? That didn't sound right, particularly when Tom's Legion stuff could be downright brutal. But he said it several times...'loveable.'

But flying back, I realized he was completely right...that what sets Legion (and Legion readers) apart is that it really does get in your blood. I remember Legion stories well and it was nearly impossible for me to find the book when I was little. And the creators who work on the book end up really loving it.

That happens to me with nearly all the books I've worked on, but there's something different about the Legion. Something else else about it makes reading it feel like being part of a club. Which is why I get that it's fun to sorta really go over issues with a microscope...that's not obnoxiousness, it's a kind of protective dedication. Most books will never have that.

Anyway, now I get it;

Loveable!

smile

Gail

Re: Little Legion Tidbit
#82856 08/16/04 11:03 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Thanks for posting this tidbit, Gail.

I confess I never -- in 31 years of Legion fandom -- thought of the Legion as "loveable," but Tom Peyer is right. There is a sense of love in what the Legion is about. Love permeates our hopes for the future and in being part of a group such as the Legion -- dedicated to doing good for humanity and being accepted for who we are: being all we can be, as the Marines put it, but without unnecessary competition.

The Legion shares this loveable quality with Star Trek and a few other pop culture phenomena. It has survived all these years because it shouldn't make sense (at least not the way the world measures "sense"), yet it does on a level that trancends the concerns of everyday life.

Loveable. It may be uncool to suggest that, but loveability is a real quality and the Legion has it in spades.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#82857 08/16/04 11:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was complaining once about the postboot Legion to another online Legion fan. He told me to check out Peyer's run b/c it was pretty good. He then went on to tell me Tom Peyer is a big Legion fan and a great guy.

I have to go back and check out his issues now. Still dont think i would dig them much (hated the art back then). But if Tom loves the Legion he's all good in my book.

Gail thank you for using "sly Cham". He was always a favorite of mine (along with Gim). Postboot I haven't seen him do anything interesting besides shapechange in the background mostly as a visual. Your Legion reminded me of the good old days and I really miss it.

Jorge

#82858 08/17/04 01:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks for sharing this bit, Gail. And I have to agree, I think Tom put his finger on a major part of what makes the Legion so special.

#82859 08/17/04 10:46 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Thanks for sharing Gail!

I definately agree, the charactes are immensely lovable. It's that feeling of being part of a club that is the Legion's greatest strength, and is what drew me right in.

#82860 08/17/04 10:40 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Hi Gail,

You have the best stories about your pre adventures to doing this short run on the Legion of Super Heroes and I really enjoy reading them. Thanks for the tid bit girl!!

Don't tint anyones hair green now! laugh

ChameleonBoy

---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,200
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star