Roll Call
0 members (), 52 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Waid/Kitson 7 page preview - Spoilers!
#83557 10/07/04 12:10 AM
Active
Active
Thanks AndyS! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#83558 10/07/04 12:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
thank you, man!
your posting here got me much more interested in what was coming up

and interacting with the folks here amped up my Legion-interest so i got the preview i was originally going to pass on

Good preview. I think I understand some of the coloring choices (reminds me of Spielberg's Minority Report; he overexposed the film to get that blue tint to everything outside).

Favorite panel: the ads. You lay out the landscape of this Legion in 1 panel. We have: Lyle standing on the ledge yearning, unsatisfied with the fantastic hazy world before him; young people depicted as mischievous devils who intend to drive well-meaning adults crazy; a 'new kind of war' where the draft might be instituted soon (talk about relevant for today!); the dig on Bouncing Boy and the most recent Legion version, which also says a lot about how this future views obesity and body variance. VERY tight.

#83559 10/07/04 12:51 AM
Active
Active
Hi Andy
Thanks again!
We have tried hard to make this a complex and interesting environment for the stories to take place in - it's great that you're already spotting some of the nuances! smile
I'm really pleased you noticed the coloring too - we think Chris is doing a fantastic job - and he seems to get better page by page!

Glad you didn't decide topass on the preview! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#83560 10/07/04 04:04 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Barry, can you explain your design for Violet a little more. She is so hard to see in the splash page from the special. Thanks for returning her to her 70's green and black..it looks awesome. Love Tinya and Jeckie and Garth and Rokk. Can't wait fur ONE!

#83561 10/07/04 04:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Not only has Violet returned to green/black but short hair!!!! (it seems)

Vi is a fave of mine. (Tinya and Tasmia as well)

Jorge

#83562 10/07/04 04:27 AM
Active
Active
Well each of the 'shapes' or symbols on the costumes is intended to say something about the character's powers - so the triangular dark area on her costume is designed to suggest her ability to shrink from the larger area right down to the tiny point of the triangle. A bit obscure I admit, but that was my thought.

I liked her old green and black colors - not more to add than that really smile

Her hair is actually tied back in that picture.

That's about all I want to give away about her at this stage...there's much more to discover as the story unfolds wink

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#83563 10/07/04 04:28 AM
Active
Active
oops - forgot to say thanks for the other nice things you said! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#83564 10/07/04 05:38 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
That's about all I want to give away about her at this stage...there's much more to discover as the story unfolds
Oooooo I *really* like the sound of that! smile

#83565 10/07/04 05:56 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Barry, I just wanted to say thank you for including Garth in that group shot and having him in a classic uniform. I really like it. I've already said I would have like to see him in a cape but it isn't necessary with that outfit. Can't wait to see more!

#83566 10/07/04 06:45 AM
Active
Active
has anyone compared these designs with the silhouettes in Barry's teaser image a few weeks ago? do they all match up?
i thought that the female with long hair and maybe lightning bolt on her thigh was XS. which would make the unknown boots flying off the page belong to Jenni.
(maybe her last name will not be Ognats!!!) it 's pretty unlikely that Waid would not use her given his history with the Flash and Xs's creation. what's her girl/lass name? Velocity Girl? Flash Lass? Tornado Kid?

Gorilla Nebula
#83567 10/07/04 06:49 AM
Active
Active
smile Glad to hear you approve!

And the new icon looks great too!
I must learn how to do one of those for myself! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#83568 10/07/04 07:13 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm really happy with the costumes, for the most part. I especially like Ayla, Rokk and Tinya!

I'm not completely thrilled that Star Boy is now black, unless he's someone besides Thom. However, it's something I can live with.

The main thing I'm not happy with is Shady's skin color. When I look at her all I see is Argent, from Teen Titans. The costume is fine, but I miss the blue skin... especially when Mark had said that he was trying to get away from the "all-white Legion." Shady has gone from blue to some kinda off-white. At least she's Shady again, fianlly! laugh

Oh well. I guess looks is only part of it. Once the series gets underway, if the stories and art stays as good as what I've seen so far, maybe I won't even care about those details smile

BTW... Barry's splash page makes great desktop wallpaper... especially once I increased the color depth a little to make the colors brighter smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#83569 10/07/04 07:21 AM
Active
Active
Thanks Lady Crujectra!

Actually I agree with you about Shady's skin tone - we have decided on going for a more blue shade normally! smile

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#83570 10/07/04 07:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Actually I agree with you about Shady's skin tone - we have decided on going for a more blue shade normally!
Woo-Hoo! That's good news Barry! Now about making Gim's costume more exciting... wink

#83571 10/07/04 08:00 AM
Substitute
Substitute
This preview has me drooling. December 29th can't come soon enough.

A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world
#83572 10/07/04 09:00 AM
Active
Active
Wow. Thank you Mark and Barry. I haven't felt this way about the Legion in a long, long time. Reading the preview really brought home how ultimately unsatisfying I found the Zero Hour reboot. And strangely enough that dissatifaction centers largely on the age of the characters. I'm so thrilled that the team appears to be in their late teens, rather than the somewhat petulant, post-pubescent children we've been reading about for the last ten years. These guys just feel more like the Legion to me.

I've got a birthday and Christmas between now and December 29, but neither holds the kind of anticipation that the first issue of this new team does.

#83573 10/07/04 09:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh, btw... I have a color printer at work that can print on 11 x 17 paper. Let's just say that splash page also makes a really cool poster laugh Newcru

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#83574 10/07/04 10:24 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I LOVE capes! Superheroes should have capes...and some superheroes have masks. It would make sense if some of the new Legionnaires wanted to have a "secret identity" something the LSH has always lacked (except sensor Girl)...I wonder how Cos would look with a cape?

Will you (Barry) be redesigning the Heroes of Lallor or The Wanderers as well?

Is Lyle's dad a Sci-Cop? You didn't change that look very much and that's great. I like the minimalist approach to the Science Police uniforms.

...and ONE piece of advice for everybody. If you really feel the need to jump off a tall building get your Legion flight ring out of your pocket FIRST.

#83575 10/07/04 10:34 AM
Active
Active
Again I just have to say - thank you so much guys! Reading all these positive reactions has been wonderful! smile

I'm still not giving away any secrets about who else will show up in the book though...so IF they turn up I will redesign the Wanderers and the HofL....IF! laugh

Lyle's dad is a Sci-cop - much more about their relationship to come too!

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#83576 10/07/04 10:41 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
As usual, I get so much from reading the comments of my fellow LW'ers. You guys really add to my appreciation of the story. That's one of the great things about this place.

As for the preview, of course I loved it. I'm excited by this brash new Legion. They're back to being kids again and we will have the pleasure of seeing them develop into the heroes we know them to be. I'm also pleased to see that maybe Bouncing Boy is coming back.

My only comment is hair. Barry, please give Sun Boy a hair cut and the others a tube of Brylcreem.

#83577 10/07/04 11:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Director Lad:
Reading the preview really brought home how ultimately unsatisfying I found the Zero Hour reboot. And strangely enough that dissatifaction centers largely on the age of the characters. I'm so thrilled that the team appears to be in their late teens, rather than the somewhat petulant, post-pubescent children we've been reading about for the last ten years. These guys just feel more like the Legion to me.
Man, I'm on the exact same wavelength.
This is gonna be a welcome iteration of the 30th Century for me. The Legion feels like it's back, at least for me.

#83578 10/07/04 11:27 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I'm thinking that Sun Boy's costume looks a little like Sunstorms, which I find intriguing and exciting. I was hoping that the 2.0 version was going in that direction before DnA took over and Dirk kind of disappeared.

I've seen Shady on the second cover and her skin is a little darker blue, so I'm hoping she's not going to stay the dead white of this picture.
I DO know that the new costume is a huge improvement in practicality and modesty for her. Thank-you, Barry!
I just hope we don't loose all the strides in character that she made as Umbra.
sigh

I tended to LIKE the 2.0 costumes, especially Triads.
Oh, well.
The one I wanted to see change the most belonged to Imra and she's the one who, except for the cape, is pretty much the same!
LOL

candle/Shady/candace

Let the games thrive, friend and foe alike.

But, . . . the time is shorter than we think.
#83579 10/07/04 11:50 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Superyellow:
...and fellas, just 'cause Sunboy might be gay this time that doesn't mean Lyle is... (just an observation)
True but it feels like a safe-ish assumption considering that, according to rumor, the post-boot Lyle was seen as gay from the beginning and, presumably, Waid was part of that concept.

Originally posted by Sambo253:
Seeing Lyle stamp his feet around and cry in front of his parents really hurt because DnA made him into one of my favorite characters, a genius and one of Braniac 5's few peers, a bit of a leader, and senior enough to even tell Saturn Girl when she's out of line.
See, I think the post-boot Lyle has always had a dark side. I don't know what DnA did with him, but previously he was a very secrative and suspicious person who maintained a cheerful, can-do mask over it.

So considering the change to the universe, this glimpse of Lyle made sense to me. I kinda see Lyle as the guy who's a little to smart for his own happiness and, in this universe that puts him as a rebel who sees through the faux-utopia and has a jaded perspective on the awe of new technology, wodnering if there's something lost in the way thing were.

Lots of potential for the character, there.

#83580 10/07/04 12:25 PM
Active
Active
Wow! I'm soooooooooo excited about this!

Not really, but I thought I'd try to fit in.

The basic concept looks completely flawed to me. I don't want to read about a bunch of brats.

#83581 10/07/04 01:15 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Oy, CK your sarcasm is getting terribly stale. Will you just give it a rest?

A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Surge Pack
Surge Pack
Portage IN
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star