Roll Call
0 members (), 77 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
LSH 39 ***Spoilers****
#8257 02/27/08 04:59 PM
wamu2 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
another good issue.

Princess Projectra's behavior has gone from bad to criminal. it looks like she's in for a long sad downward fall.

and who knew that in the 31st century there would be auction sales!

there's a surprise regarding an amazing display of competence in the Command & control room.

the Triton team finds out first hand that biased news reporting can ruin your day.

the conformity vs. individual expression battle continues.

Micro Lad is rather good in a fight. excellent fight scene in the undercity.

and yes, there was more LSH after dark. and Light Lass helps Karate Kid recuperate. that guy has a great HMO.

anyway, I am enjoying this and looking forward to more.

Re: LSH 39 ***Spoilers****
#8258 02/27/08 05:07 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I am VERY confused about something in the new issue.
They show 3 Duty Rosters on a screen in the issue.

On the 1st & 2nd screen, it says the following: "Dream Boy: HQ - Off Duty"

On the 3rd screen it says the following: "Dreamer: HQ - Off Duty"

Dreamer??!! Is that a typo?? Is the 2nd screen supposed to say "Dreamer"?? I like the name Dreamer MUCH better than Dream Girl but why would she be listed.

I am really hoping "Dreamer" was NOT a typo and that she will be back - alive in a body and known as Dreamer.

#8259 02/27/08 07:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This was a bit of a lull in the action type story after the big fight last issue. The mystery being set up in the control room is pretty interesting as well.

Francis' art continues to impress. His design for the under city denizens were a nice contrast to the clean cut Legion. Shooter's dialog also seems to be finding its groove after some rough spots in the first couple issues. He seems to have found just enough future slang although it is still jarring if you translate into what it must say in English.

He's continuing to remix the generational conflict to a much more complicated thing with groups of cool kids who think the Legion is now too close to the government and adults who are seen as too close to the rebellious kids.

I'm liking the action guys of Timber Wolf, Colossal Boy, and Ultra Boy. Timber Wolf's distrust of the sneaky Invisible Kid and his power is natural I think. A guy who always gets into dirty stuff versus the spy.

I'm pretty sure we know who Tinya would be supporting in the 2008 US election too. The ticket of Mwambama and Winfrey indeed.

Projectra is headed for rock bottom I like it.

And finally all these half dressed Legionnaires running around late at night in their sleep things. It has a feel of those short little disco legion stories. Quite a lot of sex-appeal this time without the CCA.

#8260 02/27/08 07:35 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Quite a lot of sex-appeal this time without the CCA.
LOVED LOVED seeing Lightning Lad in his undies smile

#8261 02/27/08 07:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Good catch on the Dream Boy/Dreamer thing, Askanipsion. I have no idea. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

This was a great day for the Legion. Both LSH #39 and Action #862 were strong issues. I had already fallen in love with Manapul's Projectra cover from the online previews. Seeing it on real live paper was a treat. A simple image, really, but the details on the bricks, concrete, stones and sunbeam provide extra depth.

Shooter and Manapul are hitting their stride, and really defining a new era for the Legion. To be honest, I've had to warm up to Manapul. His talent and the effort he puts into his work are obvious, but the style just wasn't my favorite. Plus, I was very enamoured with Dennis Calero's style and was missing it a bit. Manapul totally won me over with this issue. Making the Legion work is a balancing act for creators. There is such a rich history that must be tapped into, but at the same time the team has had its best moments when presented with a totally fresh style. Creators have to push the envelope and create a unique vision, while respecting what's gone before. Shooter's obvious love for the characters and concept of the Legion combined with Manapul's crisp feel are bringing that balance to the book, and it is exciting for me. The new duty roster was a great touch.

Projectra is definitely going through a period of growth. The way her powers were presented made her seem as powerful as she has been since Levitz's Sensor Girl days. More depth to Imra's mom. Giselle is becoming more interesting. Great dialouge between Imra and Brin. Whoa, was Brin way out of line to grab her arm like that or what? A very dramatic sequence and we know that it isn't over.

Element Lad, Ultra Boy, and Colossal Boy get a little needed character development. I'm really liking Manapul's take on Gim. The scene with Light Lass, Phantom Girl, and Karate Kid seemed very real to me. Shooter casually bumped up the level of sexual content acceptable in the Legion and it felt like simple character development.

Garth in his underpants was just plain hot.

Now, what exactly is Projectra up to? I guess we'll just have to wait until next issue to see. I'll be back for sure.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#8262 02/27/08 08:00 PM
wamu2 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
on page 18 the monitor board seems to say that Brainy is working on an wormhole teleportation device. it appears to have worked.

at first he was listed as being in the lab complex. but at the end it says he is in the Cygni system.

2 things I really like about: 1) I love it when little details are put in the story. 2) it follows up on last issue when it was mentioned he was working on something.

nicely done.

#8263 02/27/08 08:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
My comic store doesn't get the new stuff on the shelves until mid Thursday.

Until then I seethe with jealousy!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#8264 02/27/08 10:22 PM
A
Active
Active
A
When I considered how much involvement we got from so many of the legionnaires (as opposed to just Cosmic Boy, Brainy, or Supergirl) I was amazed. I was not thrilled with each depiction we got (KK & Ayla?), but I certainly appreciated their actual presence.

Still repelled by the whole UP-criminal youth antagony of the threeboot.

#8265 02/28/08 07:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I went to the comic store yesterday and picked up this issue, Action Comics, and the JSA. (i forgot JSA was coming out today)

This issue rocked! Shooter & fjm just have so much energy.

The person in the big chair I am guessing is the kid that was good at calc last issue. Isn't he based on a die hard Legion fan that passed away?

Shooter does a good job with the news reporter. This Legion was a bit hard to like early on. He successfully channels that Spider-Man/Daily Bugle thing here.

Colossal Boy gets some respect! He's team leader of the small 3 man squad! And I was impressed by his fighting.

Some nice Victoria's Secret pages in the middle. wink

And yes Projectra has hit rock bottom.

I don't know if it's because the Action Legion is running around but I don't mind this Legion being so young anymore. wink I think Shooter is really doing it well. fjm I love the backgrounds!

#8266 02/28/08 08:22 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I definitely liked this issue. I think the art is great and that Shooter knows how to write compelling stories with plenty of drama and action to keep you wanting more.

#8267 02/28/08 09:15 AM
wamu2 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
When I considered how much involvement we got from so many of the legionnaires (as opposed to just Cosmic Boy, Brainy, or Supergirl) I was amazed. I was not thrilled with each depiction we got (KK & Ayla?), but I certainly appreciated their actual presence.

what do you find wrong with it?

it seems Shooter is focusing it on(and probably what Waid intended) to be more about fitting in the confines of the accepted social norms vs. going your own way. and as for the criminal aspect, the planet is still recovering from the Dominator war that's bound to lead to a breakdown of law and order.

#8268 02/28/08 11:12 AM
Active
Active
Another fun, entertaining issue with great art to boot.

Ok, the bad first-- the future slang, I don't mind it but Shooter needs to lay off it a bit, or at least stick to a few words. This issue we have Cruk, Foob and some others introduced. Really, Grife, Floorg, Foob maybe one or two others than that should be that. Don't mind the punks using a lot of slang, but really think Shooter needs to allow us to learn the new terms before he starts putting them in the legion's mouth. other than that no bad

The nice touches--still no speaking lines for Brainy, guy got so much over exposure in the WaK run it's nice to have some time away from hime. That said, Kudos, for telling the reader that more stuff is coming by the viewing of the monitor board (Brainy picking up the other members) very nice touch.

Ayla is a slut I swear. but nice to see she is concerned about her brother and the Legion (even suggesting that he should step down, yikes!) Interesting to see where that goes, and gives her more depth than the girl every guy (except Lightning lad) has slept with.

the CB, UB, and EL scenes were cute. Probably not necessary for any other plots, but nice to see more members getting showcased. that along with the fact that Ultra Boy and Colossal Boy do have different hair cuts (although UB's hair is brown, not black, oh well)was nice.

Oh and did anyone notice that CB GROWS TO GIANT SIZE. don't know if that is a mistake or if Shooter is throwing out the 'giant who shrinks' orgin (which is fine, becasue CB always worked better to me as your everyday, good guy who got powers).

Also liked the use of CB's powers in the fight, some nice stuff there (and the fact that his flight ring stayed huge, that was cute). Also liked Ultra Boy's banter and the fact that he and EL did come down to help, something I don't think they would have done under Waid's pen.

Also, really liked how that one guy had a legion reference guide. What a creative way to introduce readers unfamilar to Ultra Boy to what his powers actually were. Nice idea that I don't think I've seen used before.

Whew, this is a long post....

The Saturn Girl/Timber Wolf scene, I dunno, T-Wolf still sounds a bit too much like Wolverine for my taste, wish they would remember that T-Wolf came first. More aggressive Imra, hmmm, it's kinda nice to see her kick major butt, but I would love to see some consequences roll down the pipe for her blatent abuse of power, we'll see how that develops.

Projectra--she's been a personal fave of mine ever since she snapped Nemisis Kid's neck (and since my Legion reading is all out of order, that's one of the first times I read her). So I love the character and love the regal huaghtiness she displays here. Loved the fact that her illusions are formidable even if the person knows they are illusions. Was surprised to see her steal but incrediably intrigued at where this is going.

Was this issue perfect, no, and there were some uneven spots here and there, but it still entertains and does a great job showing more of the team, letting us see the characters interact a bit, see their powers, etc. WaK had some great stuff, but a deplorable lack of action and forward movement made the weak spots all that more glaring (as did the tendancy to focus on two or three Legionnaires PERIOD). So it's nice see more action, more Legionnaires playing a role, and more attention to existing plot points (i.e. destruction of Orando).

Long Live the Legion!
#8269 02/28/08 11:47 AM
Deputy
Deputy
About Projectra's "crime" -- I think she was trying to track down her personal belongings when she found the looters, and maybe the bracelet she took reminded her of one of her own lost pieces of jewelry. I'm not condoning her stealing it, but I think her impulse had more to do with a sense of loss than greed.

Anyway, I loved her line "..And even though I've told you what I'm about to do, it will make no difference. You will panic.". Shooter knows the past criticisms made of Jeckie's powers and has made them moot.

The medieval castle in the middle of monotone Metropolis was a wonderful touch. Francis did a fantastic job throughout the entire issue, and I hope he thoroughly enjoyed drawing Ayla and Tinya in their nighties. wink

The line that will come to define 3boot Ayla: "For one thing, I HATE to sleep alone." One aspect of the scene that rang a bit false -- Karate Kid had a big crush on Tinya not so long ago but allows her to make her exit without a peep of protest when Ayla starts pawing him. I guess he realizes he has no chance with her and might as well make use of Ayla's, um, special healing powers.

Shooter remembered Phantom Girl is an ancient history buff. Good, but I was a little surprised to learn that Oprah was (or will be) a world leader on par with Churchill!

Timber Wolf is just begging Saturn Girl for a instant lobotomy, isn't he? Brin and Giselle seem made for each other, though.

Catching 3,247 filthy, stinking green rats has to be the most horrible mission the Legion ever performed that didn't end with casualties. Medals of Valor for Colossal Boy, Element Lad (prissy pants?) and Ultra Boy.

I imagine a "foob" is combination of a fool and a feeb, so I don't blame Gim for preferring to be called a "futzwit" or a "zorker", though "scud-wipe" probably would have made him even more incensed. I understand why the future-speak would annoy some readers, and I'm not completely in love with it either, but it says to me in no uncertain terms "make no mistake about it, this is not the 21st century."

I'm guessing M'Rissey was the "intruder" at the Duty Roster because both wore brown gloves. I laughed that Lightning Lad would bother to put on his uniform shirt but neglected to wear pants. You can't do that kind of stuff with Cosmic Boy.

I'm sad Sun Boy is not on the Roster. frown Jim, please don't forget Dirk.

Nothing earthshattering happened in this story but Shooter is keeping his promises of world building and character building in every issue. It's great to have him back in this very special year.

#8270 02/28/08 01:24 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I haven't read the issue yet, but I object to the characterization of Ayla as a slut. Number one, this term is demeaning to women, and number two, maybe sexual permissiveness is normal on Winath. Remember that we also saw Garth propositioning Imra.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#8271 02/28/08 02:04 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Just wanted to add a thought about Saturn Girl. For all of Imra's leadership abilities, this issue shows me why she should never become the Legion leader (again). I don't think she was "wrong" to mind-slam Brin and his intended victims -- Boone was being a major a$$ and Brin's attack on him would've been a disaster -- but I don't care to see this version of Imra, whom I like so far, going the way of reboot Imra in abusing her powers because she believes the ends always justifies the means.

And I wouldn't call Ayla a "slut". It makes sense that someone born into a twin culture would never want to be alone, and I can see Winathians who are approaching adulthood being aggressive about finding a mate. Garth found someone early but Ayla is sill sampling prospects. It's not like she's betraying any one, either.

#8272 02/28/08 02:56 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Ayla has become one of my favourite characters in the threeboot. If I had to describe her, I'd use the words 'warm' and 'affectionate'. I don't see any reason to believe she's particularly promiscuous. As for Karate Kid, well, he seems to have begun and ended a relationship with Shadow Lass since his crush on Tinya, so I suspect he'll be fine.

#8273 02/28/08 04:21 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Tromium:
I'm sad Sun Boy is not on the Roster. frown Jim, please don't forget Dirk.
He's supposedly hanging out with Terror Firma, who are supposedly going to become members.

Somehow, I don't think Shooter intends to run with that particular detail, since one of Terror Firma was a teleporter (the one who would open the portals for getaways, who also seemed to have a little bit of telepathy), and he's made a point that the Legion doesn't have access to such a person.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#8274 02/28/08 07:10 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I definitely would not say Ayla is a slut!! First it isn't shown that she slept with him. Second there seems to be a double standard for men & women. Why is it that men are cheered when they are with lots of women but women are looked down upon if they do the same thing??

It is not fair to judge her culture to the same rules we use here on present Earth. Maybe on her planet there is the belief of free love.

Elves in fantasy novels have a free love belief - they are with multiple partners but are very open about their feelings. Sometimes they stay with just one partner but most have many.

So why it might not be what you would do or "right" to you - we shouldn't judge her. Maybe they slept together - maybe they just snuggled - who knows?

It will be interesting to see how far Irma steps over the line...I think there is going to be a blow-up.

Loving Projectra! I never liked her in the old one-boot & two-boot stories. The new Projectra is awesome! Love her cockiness!

One thing i love about this book is that I actually like EVERY character in it. I can't say that about any other comic I have ever read. There is always a character in a team book that I don't like but in Legion I like every one of them.

Yeah I like how Colossal Boy grew instead of shrinking - never liked that he was from a world of giants.

Such gorgeous art this issue - Brin is hot - Lightning Lad is hot in the undies - Phantom Girl was gorgeous - Saturn Girl was stunning

LOVE all the detail in the background!

So I am guessing that the boy in the chair will be altering the team missions and everyone will think it was Lightning Lad and they will cheer him that he is doing such a great job until the truth comes out.

I am really surprised Dream Boy was listed - would have thought they would have dumped him but it looks like Dreamer has already replaced him. smile
But calling her a slut is kinda harsh.

#8275 02/28/08 07:57 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Originally posted by wamu2:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:
[b]When I considered how much involvement we got from so many of the legionnaires (as opposed to just Cosmic Boy, Brainy, or Supergirl) I was amazed. I was not thrilled with each depiction we got (KK & Ayla?), but I certainly appreciated their actual presence.

what do you find wrong with it?

it seems Shooter is focusing it on(and probably what Waid intended) to be more about fitting in the confines of the accepted social norms vs. going your own way. and as for the criminal aspect, the planet is still recovering from the Dominator war that's bound to lead to a breakdown of law and order. [/b]
I find the focus on these aspects unlikely to ever be rewarding. The title has already droned on for over 30 issues about various flavors of this ongoing conflict. At least some actual accomplishment was mixed in this time (CB's team).

#8276 02/28/08 10:35 PM
wamu2 Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
[QB]I definitely would not say Ayla is a slut!! First it isn't shown that she slept with him. Second there seems to be a double standard for men & women. Why is it that men are cheered when they are with lots of women but women are looked down upon if they do the same thing??

It is not fair to judge her culture to the same rules we use here on present Earth. Maybe on her planet there is the belief of free love.

[QB]
think of what a bad example she's setting for the children. well no one think of the children.

smile

****the preceding was not intended to be taken seriously*****

#8277 02/29/08 12:46 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I liked the issue, though I still have the feeling that I really wish this were three years ago and we were seeing Shooter build the new Legion from scratch rather than playing with Waid's version. That said... I actually really like the tensions within the team (TW referring to IK as the wimp whose power is to hide and such). The general feel of the issue actually reminds me of the SW6 issues from Legionnaires more than anything else, which is a good thing, as that run was cut way too short.

#8278 02/29/08 08:20 AM
Active
Active
Whoops, guess I should have entered a roll eyes icon or something after that slut comment, it was meant to be 'tongue-in-cheek' and I guess it came off as a condemnation of her character.

I was more trying to point out that I think Shooter added a lot more depth to her character than what has previously been shown by her concern for her brother and her intelligent analysis of the situation.

Long Live the Legion!
#8279 02/29/08 09:30 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
I definitely would not say Ayla is a slut!! First it isn't shown that she slept with him. Second there seems to be a double standard for men & women. Why is it that men are cheered when they are with lots of women but women are looked down upon if they do the same thing??

1. I agree. It's the future, technically, she's an alien. I mean, different cultures here on Earth vary so much that people are shocked by "normal practices" in one society.

2. Irregardless of that thought: SHE'S A TEENAGER. Have you ever been around a group of teens that hang out together all the time? They all date each other! Hormones are going strong, they are young and "invincible," and their lives revolve completely around their friends. And that's not even acknowledging the fact that Legionnaires are popular, powerful, attractive and unsupervised. I'm more surprised there ISN'T more flirting, hooking up, dating, etc between the Legion than there already is.

I always liked SW6's Inferno. He flirted all the time. He was girl crazy. He loved being a superhero b/c it was the ultimate pick-up line. If Ayla is going to be a girl that dates socially, flirts with every guy on the team, or enjoys the perks of being a good-looking, powerful, popular, teenage girl, then that is a REALISTIC CHARACTER. which makes the Legion better. who's in a rush to get married when you're 15-19 years old anyway?

The Legion is a TEENAGE superteam. When teens in comics act like teens in real life, well ... that's good writing.

The Legion is an ALIEN superteam too. That means it's a mix of cultures. Askanipsion's defense of Light Lass is perfectly understandable and i wholly support that idea. if Gates is a communist, then so be it. Element Lad likes to be naked because of his culture, then so be it. If it's normal on Colu to be an egomaniac, go right ahead Brainiac 5.

everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.
#8280 02/29/08 09:32 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by stephbarton:
I was more trying to point out that I think Shooter added a lot more depth to her character than what has previously been shown by her concern for her brother and her intelligent analysis of the situation.
Agreed!

everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.
#8281 02/29/08 12:40 PM
Active
Active
Shooter continues to renew my interest in this, my least favourite, incarnation of the Legion.

But enough with the florging future slang. Gnorkk it off already!

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pulsar
Pulsar
Arizona
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star