Roll Call
0 members (), 55 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: LSH 42 ~~~SPOILERS!!!!
#83865 06/10/08 11:21 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
...I think it was dad's observation that Lyle had grown up and he viewed him as more of a young adult now than a kid...
Sounds great to me. I hope that is the correct interpretation!

And yah, it's DNA.
Sorry, I'm only posting during my lunch half hour at school so details are difficult sometimes.

Let the games thrive, friend and foe alike.

But, . . . the time is shorter than we think.
#83866 06/10/08 09:49 PM
Active
Active
re: the life eradicator versus the flower-
didn't "it" scan it first with a sonar wave like ray before trying to zap it? maybe they are from a sentient plant race and are only programmed to destroy mammals?

Gorilla Nebula
#83867 06/11/08 05:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Loved the title - "Fear and Clothing" - quality!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#83868 06/11/08 09:36 AM
Active
Active
I haven't read the issue yet but with a title such as "Fear and Clothing" may it be possible that the creatures only attack based on fear. The flower didn't suffer because it showed no fear. Sentinent being fear and thus are viable targets.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
#83869 06/11/08 11:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
read it last night-- liked it a LOT... Shooter's hit his stride with this ish, thinks I... and the art is my favorite since the Coipel days, overtaking Batista...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#83870 06/11/08 06:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I actually find the most blatant stereotyping to be of Ultra Boy. He's a (presumably) petty criminal, gang member, ergo thick in the head... this portrayal has persisted for several years and it's a bit of a disappointment after the clever and devoted Jo Nah we saw in 5YL. The kissing scene with Saturn Girl in this issue is more of a stereotype of him than of her.
As I recall, the "clever and devoted Jo" story-line was so memorable mostly because he was portrayed and believed to be by both fandom and Legion characters (particularly Glorith) as petty,..., and thick in the head. A great bit of story that was and still could be the case.

Male-female dynamics and behavior, are they that much different today than two thousand years ago? Will they be that much different a thousand years from now?

IMO, changes in basic human thinking only occur after dramatic events and even then slowly with with a good bit of back and forth.

A good direction for the Lyle story might explore the affect of all these "aliens" on the male-female dynamic? To me it seems that most of what makes for that dynamic is natural instinct to focus on "difference." Would a earth male who is normally attracted to women be more attracted to the male of another planet than the female?

Hmmm.

Popov works so well because he looks so harmless. Quite the little weasel.

#83871 06/11/08 06:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
RE: blaming the colorist

I guess I'd have to see panels with as much detail that were intricately colored and still "clear" before making blame. As I see it, these a small panels to get in a lot of story and they are intricately drawn so that the words are not the entirely of the story.

I mean, I can't think of any situation in which a colored panel would look clearer than an intricately drawn black and white? But would it be as dynamic without the color? It seems smaller panels can have simple art and intricate color or intricate art and simple color but neither looks "real."

I guess MY summary is that I like all the story I get with the smaller panels and that I would not want the art simplified either.

Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I actually find the most blatant stereotyping to be of Ultra Boy. He's a (presumably) petty criminal, gang member, ergo thick in the head... this portrayal has persisted for several years and it's a bit of a disappointment after the clever and devoted Jo Nah we saw in 5YL. The kissing scene with Saturn Girl in this issue is more of a stereotype of him than of her.
As I recall, the "clever and devoted Jo" story-line was so memorable mostly because he had decades of back-story portraying hime as thick in the head, which was parleyed to fool both the readers and Glorith. A great bit of story that was and still could be the case.

Male-female dynamics and behavior, are they that much different today than two thousand years ago? Will they be that much different a thousand years from now?

IMO, changes in basic human thinking only occur after dramatic events and even then slowly with with a good bit of back and forth.

A good direction for the Lyle story might explore the affect of all these "aliens" on the male-female dynamic? To me it seems that most of what makes for that dynamic is natural instinct to focus on "difference." Would a earth male who is normally attracted to women be more attracted to the male of another planet than the female?

Hmmm.

Popov works so well because he looks so harmless. Quite the little weasel.

#83872 06/14/08 12:53 PM
Candidate
Candidate
As I believe Shooter intended, I was bothered by Imra's co-opting of Jo's visual receptors. Granted, it was a battle situation — but it's a further extension of SG's character via Shooter wherein she doesn't see anything wrong with tinkering around in someone's mind without permission.

#83873 06/14/08 01:12 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Size Lad:
As I believe Shooter intended, I was bothered by Imra's co-opting of Jo's visual receptors. Granted, it was a battle situation — but it's a further extension of SG's character via Shooter wherein she doesn't see anything wrong with tinkering around in someone's mind without permission.
And yet it's also telling that Jo doesn't have the slightest concern about it.

In a universe where a race of telepaths have lost the power of speech, is it even reasonable to demand that they not use their telepathy? After all, she's 'invading' someone's mind *every single time she speaks.* What if she was deaf as well? Would it be assault or spying or whatever for her to 'listen' telepathically as well as 'speak' telepathically?

For a telepath to be considered 'assaulting' someone to communicate or perceive the world via telepathy, would be the same as saying that I'm assaulting people by talking to them, or looking at them.

She's certainly crossed the line into coercion before, but I don't think what she did with Jo there is anymore unethical than my telling someone to look in a specific direction by pointing with my finger. If every single use of her powers starts crossing lines into unethical or immoral or whatever, they might as well just write telepaths out of the DCU completely.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#83874 06/15/08 03:11 PM
Candidate
Candidate
Originally posted by Set:
For a telepath to be considered 'assaulting' someone to communicate or perceive the world via telepathy, would be the same as saying that I'm assaulting people by talking to them, or looking at them.
Well, IMHO there's certainly a difference between a telepath broadcasting their thoughts and actively controlling someone else's mind. Shooter has decidedly amped Imra's powers in this regard and has also laid the groundwork for the controversy (which he probably won't get to explore if his future on the title is indeed limited). It nicely enhances the distrust of telepaths in the 31st century, and I wouldn't be surprised that the technology of the time has come up with Telepath Dampners.

I was reacting most to SG's cavalier appropriation of UB's sensory information. It seems that Shooter is giving us an Imra who doesn't feel there's anything wrong with what she does. It reminds me of the Legion Lost arc where she manipulated her fellow Legionnaires.

#83875 06/16/08 08:27 PM
Deputy
Deputy
A detail I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet:

Carmine's Custom Actionwear :: C C A :: Comics Code Authority

Coincidence? Or some kind of inside joke? hmmm

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#83876 06/17/08 02:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's curious, BRM. Missed it entirely. It might suggest that the new uniforms are not entirely friendly. On the other hand, shouldn't we always trust a guy named Carmine in a comic book?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#83877 06/17/08 05:21 PM
Deputy
Deputy
As long as it's a DC comic wink
Did Shooter ever work with Carmine Infantino?
Did Infantino ever design any Legionnaire costumes, or LSH-related characters?

As for "not entirely friendly" uniforms: I suspect the new uniforms may be "bugged" (Except for Brainiac 5's: he'd notice, in his own clothes; but he may not get around to closely inspecting anybody else's new outfits for a while). I'm assuming that M'Rissey is responsible for the new uniforms, and my guess is he's arranged to have the Legionnaires starring in a "reality TV show" (or 31st century equivalent) which will premiere in their near future. The uniforms are either "bugged" to serve as a source of footage when the Legionnaires are outside of LSH HQ, or they are Product Placement for one of the show's sponsors.

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#83878 06/17/08 09:58 PM
Active
Active
Shooter was definitely working for DC when Carmine Infantino was Editor in Chief but maybe they never worked together directly. maybe on Action? also, i think maybe "we" are more nostalgia oriented than Shooter, and he was just making a joke while dropping clues for the legionnaires of M'rssey's infiltration.

Gorilla Nebula
#83879 06/22/08 07:21 PM
Deputy
Deputy
1. At least three relatively novel uses of Jo's power (second party ultravision, human bullet, rotating powers vs. a compensating foe)

2. Great fight scene

3. Chicks with guns

4. Brainy/LL banter

5. Jo being "TOO SEXY"

6. Action (see #2) PLUS plot development

7. Little offhanded flicks of characterization--one liners, looks, etc.--that bring things along without seeming contrived

8. Clean AND detailed art that differentiates character and provides a context for the future

ALL add up to a great issue!

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
mogli
mogli
San Diego, CA. USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star