Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TYROC the Blaxploitation superhero
#89150 02/19/06 02:41 PM
W
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
W
Comics in the 1970s were flush with lame Black superheroes created by white people that probably never met a black person. This one was the lamest of all:

TYROC: Click here

Re: TYROC the Blaxploitation superhero
#89151 02/19/06 03:29 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
To his credit he disappeared until End of an Era where he performed admirably as Jaque Foccart's Vice-President of Earth.. right up to the end of all existance.
(Extant, the Time Trapper and Zero Hour, remember?)

I wouldn't dream of trying to justify Bates' character decisions but I do like to point out that Tyroc finished his time just as heroically as all the other Legionnaires fighting to save the Universe from total destruction (again!)

#89152 02/20/06 05:09 AM
W
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
W
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
To his credit he disappeared until End of an Era where he performed admirably as Jaque Foccart's Vice-President of Earth.. right up to the end of all existance.
(Extant, the Time Trapper and Zero Hour, remember?)

I wouldn't dream of trying to justify Bates' character decisions but I do like to point out that Tyroc finished his time just as heroically as all the other Legionnaires fighting to save the Universe from total destruction (again!)
True Dat. They gave Troy a redeeming ending.

I see waid is returning him next issue. I assume he'll be a legion reject.

#89153 02/20/06 10:51 AM
Leader
Leader
This list of his screams and their functions is hilarious:

1-h EEYYAAAHH caused the Beta's jet packs to burst into flame
2-e AHHRRRRRR caused a force field that deflected their shots
3-b OYYUUUUUU caused Tyroc to teleport away
4-g ARRRRHHHH caused an explosion around Zoraz
5-a ZZZRRRUUGGHH caused Zoraz to spin like a top
6-c UIUUIEEEE caused the roads in Metropolis to turn rubbery
7-f ARRREEEEG caused sticky rain to fall
8-j IRRRRWWWW caused "the trees [to] sprout wildly growing tentacle wings!"
9-i CCCIIIRRR caused Superboy to lose his sense of balance
10-d RRRYYYY caused a "terrific wind" to be unleashed

Yells 1-3 are from "Superboy" #216, 4-5 from #218, and 6-10 from #222. These 3 issues are the "definitive" Tyroc yells, since Conway wasn't consistent in #263-265.

I love the bit about Conway not being consistent, as if there's any consistency to this character's ridiculous screams and their effects.

God, I hated Tyroc. I can't believe they're even bringing him back for one issue. He's best left forgotten IMO.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#89154 02/20/06 09:44 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Again, Tyroc is yet another character who could be resurrected and improved, if the right writer came along to take on the challenge. In Legion history, members like M-E Lad, Blok, and Monstress are examples of characters who were significantly improved in time over their initial introductions.

It's the "King Kong" mentality. Why remake something that's already good (except that it's a safer bet it will work)? If Peter Jackson wanted to Really make a statement, he would have made a compelling Gigantor movie instead. Tyroc is wide open - I'd love to see him again done up right.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#89155 02/20/06 09:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Speaking of Monstress, I remember the LEGIONNAIRES issue where her skin colour went from green to orange with some interesting colour variations in between...The green made her into She-Hulk's uglier sister and the orange...well, they alredy had an orange-skinned character (Cham), so why didnt they (or Element Lad) for that matter) give her a skin colour which would have made her look a little more...unique?

#89156 02/20/06 10:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Honestly, I think the best chance a minority character has is if they take one who has a history and updating them rather than creating one from scratch.

Tyroc is a great example - Legion fans know him and his history etc. If he were updated, his status quo altered in a way that long time fans could appreciate, then he wouldn't seem like a newbie looking for a seat at the adults' table.

#89157 02/20/06 10:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh, and Kid Quantum I was one such bad bad BAD example of how to do it...

#89158 02/20/06 10:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah,Kid Quantum I was a little too cocky for his own good - but personally, I liked the previous version who debuted before ZERO HOUR - no arrogance or know-it-all 'tude there... nod

#89159 02/21/06 05:24 AM
Active
Active
Should Tyroc be consider DC's answer to Marvel's Luke Cage(a.k.a.Power Man)? hmmm

#89160 02/21/06 07:33 AM
Leader
Leader
I'd like to see them combine Matter Eater Lad and Tyroc into one character. Make him have a sonic ray that consumes whatever it touches or something, but definitely get rid of the hokey screams and the wide variety of effects, not to mention the goofy costume.

Don't care if he's black or white either.

#89161 02/21/06 08:09 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
This list of his screams and their functions is hilarious:

1-h EEYYAAAHH caused the Beta's jet packs to burst into flame
2-e AHHRRRRRR caused a force field that deflected their shots
3-b OYYUUUUUU caused Tyroc to teleport away
4-g ARRRRHHHH caused an explosion around Zoraz
5-a ZZZRRRUUGGHH caused Zoraz to spin like a top
6-c UIUUIEEEE caused the roads in Metropolis to turn rubbery
7-f ARRREEEEG caused sticky rain to fall
8-j IRRRRWWWW caused "the trees [to] sprout wildly growing tentacle wings!"
9-i CCCIIIRRR caused Superboy to lose his sense of balance
10-d RRRYYYY caused a "terrific wind" to be unleashed

This deserved a poll!

(Well, maybe not "deserved", but it got one!)

#89162 02/21/06 10:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Honestly, I think the best chance a minority character has is if they take one who has a history and updating them rather than creating one from scratch.

Tyroc is a great example - Legion fans know him and his history etc. If he were updated, his status quo altered in a way that long time fans could appreciate, then he wouldn't seem like a newbie looking for a seat at the adults' table.
I think Drake is right on here. I also think Tyroc could easily be re-introduced with all the goofiness stripped away. He could have sound powers similar to Banshee/Siryn or Songbird from Thunderbolts, which would all be unique to the Legion. Strip away the goofy costume and afro and he's no longer a groaning flashback to the swinging seventies. Now simply strip away the Blaxploitation 'angry young black man' stereotype and insert something similar to the TMK era but with the aggressive-ness of his 70's self and you still have the same Tyroc but without all the bad aspects.

#89163 02/21/06 05:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Maybe they could combine Supergirl and Bouncing Boy into one character as well.

Right. And I hope they don't with Tyroc and Tenzil either.

I submit-- and defy anyone to convince me otherwise-- that ANY... and that "any" should be bold, giant, bright red letters-- Legion character, when handled with the proper care and respect-- can be made viable and fun to read about.

I am always upset when I read that a creator hates or dislikes a certain character and refuses to use him or her-- it's a very close-minded veiw coming from what is supposed to be a creative person.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#89164 02/21/06 05:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#89165 02/21/06 05:29 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I liked Tyroc in the later era when he was the vice-president.

I'm not sure how he could be updated today, since I kinda see the main criticism that sound powers might not work well in a visual medium.

But I wouldn't be adverse to someone trying.

#89166 02/21/06 05:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well obviously since Tyroc was the height of 70s era black stereotype a reimagining would require the epitome of all the early 21st century black stereotypes.

New Tyroc

Power works by making bad rap couplets, obviously written by white guys trying to sound black
Large fuel guzzling 31st century vehicle (whatever the equivalent of a Hummer is)
Lots of Bling
Entourage of scantily clad dancers shakin' their booties.

Did I miss something?

#89167 02/22/06 08:09 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Maybe they could combine Supergirl and Bouncing Boy into one character as well.

Right. And I hope they don't with Tyroc and Tenzil either.

I submit-- and defy anyone to convince me otherwise-- that ANY... and that "any" should be bold, giant, bright red letters-- Legion character, [b]when handled with the proper care and respect
-- can be made viable and fun to read about.

I am always upset when I read that a creator hates or dislikes a certain character and refuses to use him or her-- it's a very close-minded veiw coming from what is supposed to be a creative person. [/b]
Well, for someone who obviously claims to be open minded, you sure shot my idea down in a hurry, Lash. And the Supergirl/Bouncing Boy analogy was not a fair comparison. Not only are they opposite sexes, but their powers are nothing alike. Tenz and Tyroc's powers both come from their mouths, so it's not that far of a stretch to think of them in the same vein, IMHO.

And it's only natural for comic writers to have their favorites and least favorites, just like everyone else.

#89168 02/22/06 05:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Actually, I'm very close-minded when it comes to the Legion... the line that begins "I submit--" above is proof of that. Sorry; I never claimed to be perfect.

I agree it's only natural for creators to have faves like everyone else, but I hold them to a higher standard because they have actual power over the characters.

#89169 02/23/06 01:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think they should *emprace* the blaxploitation angle to Tyroc. After all, if the Legionnaires are basing their names and costumes on legends of the past, who says that Luke Cage or Shaft might not be the base for a young hero's chosen persona?

I say keep the Afro- no, make it bigger! Lose the shorts and the pixie shoes, add some fur trim to the collar (preferably in purple or chartreuse), and throw in some suglasses and a pimpin' hat. With a feather. A looong feather. That matches the fake fur trim.

Tyroc could have a girlfriend named Foxy Forever or Trixie Tomorrow. Or both.

Actually, I *like* the idea of a vocally-powered hero... but one whose vocalisations follow an internal logic. Stick to 'Aaaaaaaaa', 'Eeeeeeeee', 'Ooooooo', etc. No weird created syllables. Each sound gets one basic power... flight, wind, etc.

Maybe he could be the last banshee or something.

#89170 02/23/06 08:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I think they should *emprace* the blaxploitation angle to Tyroc. After all, if the Legionnaires are basing their names and costumes on legends of the past, who says that Luke Cage or Shaft might not be the base for a young hero's chosen persona?

I say keep the Afro- no, make it bigger! Lose the shorts and the pixie shoes, add some fur trim to the collar (preferably in purple or chartreuse), and throw in some suglasses and a pimpin' hat. With a feather. A looong feather. That matches the fake fur trim.

Tyroc could have a girlfriend named Foxy Forever or Trixie Tomorrow. Or both.

Actually, I *like* the idea of a vocally-powered hero... but one whose vocalisations follow an internal logic. Stick to 'Aaaaaaaaa', 'Eeeeeeeee', 'Ooooooo', etc. No weird created syllables. Each sound gets one basic power... flight, wind, etc.

Maybe he could be the last banshee or something.
Didn't Banshee's (Sean Cassidy) power enable him to fly? There were no erratic word-balloons to suggest he was using his power - the artwork did all that. scream

#89171 02/23/06 08:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Trixie Tomorrow MUST and WILL exist, in some form!

I'm thinking Eryk better be saving up $5 to send to Todd for this fab idea!

#89172 02/23/06 08:49 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I am *so* looking forward to writing dialogue between Uncle Space and Trixie Tomorrow, Space Sistah!

#89173 02/23/06 09:03 PM
Leader
Leader
"You touch the fro' you got to go!"

--Undercover Brother

"What's this BLACK stuff, Shaft? YOU ain't so BLACK!"
"An' YOU AIN'T SO WHITE, baby!"
--Charles Cioffi & Richard Roundtree / SHAFT (1971)

#89174 02/23/06 10:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What was refreshing about Tyroc is that he didn't need to revert to "jive"-speak, he was articulate and not nearly as annoying as some later Legion members.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star