Roll Call
2 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, thoth lad), 52 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:14 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 05/01/24 03:08 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/01/24 05:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LOSH Vol. 3: Dangling threads.
#9296 07/09/08 12:27 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Y'know, I was just thinking about the Action Legion and I began to wonder, where is R.J. Brande?

Then I remembered, at this point he'd flown off into the galaxy looking for new challenges. This storyline eventually lead to the Protean subplot and Kid Quantum being introduced in V4.

But that never happened now, leaving R.J.s sub-plot being unresolved. So I began to wonder, what other sub-plots are now unresolved to the Action Legion's "reboot"?

I guess the first thing, though, is to find an issue where this Legion's timeline diverges. For me, I take it from Legion of Super-Heroes V3 #18. Though I do think that issues #19 - #35 definitely happened, only the Cosmic Boy mini-series didn't happen. Everything else from that time would still fit in. So what ongoing subplots were happening before #35 that now need some sort of resolution? Any suggestions?

Did R.J.s involvement with the Proteans happen before then?

Paul Newell
Titan President
Re: LOSH Vol. 3: Dangling threads.
#9297 07/09/08 12:30 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
By the way, I'm not talking about newer questions like "How did Karate Kid come back to life?", or "Where's Tellus and Quislet?". But actual plots from the Pre-Crisis comics.

Paul Newell
Titan President
#9298 07/09/08 06:43 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I disagree with you about the branching point. I think you have to put it earlier by six months to a year.

My reasoning is that Johns has given us no detail suggesting that Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy ever semi-retired in favour of Tellus, Quislet and Magnetic Kid.

When exactly was it that Brande took off?

#9299 07/09/08 07:08 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
STARFINGER!!!!

**ducks*** I'm just kidding!!!

I guess a lot of it depends on how and when KK came back (Did T-Wolf go on KK's last request mission? did Myg come back with him? etc.)

How does the Crisis stuff play out? What about Supergirl and Brainy? The Infinite Man?

Does this mean Mordru's still encased in stone? Obviously not based on the L3W previews, but who freed him and how much power does he have back?

Did Emerald Empress still reform the Fatal Five? (again the preview has the classics)

Is Validus still LL and SG's son (and do they still not know)? Speaking of which, where is Graym anyway?

Did the Universo stuff happen? Remember that was put in motion very early on. What about Rond, was he still "killed"?

Did Mon-el's serum still fail? and how did Brainy find the new one?

#9300 07/09/08 07:03 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I disagree with you about the branching point. I think you have to put it earlier by six months to a year.

My reasoning is that Johns has given us no detail suggesting that Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy ever semi-retired in favour of Tellus, Quislet and Magnetic Kid.

When exactly was it that Brande took off?
He takes off in LOSH V3 #17.

As to the semi retiring thing, it's possible that it never actually happened, much like Karate Kid dying. And don't forget that in #35 that Saturn Girl rejoined the Legion even though Tellus was still a member. Who's to say that in the intervening time, between #35 and the Lightning Saga, that Cos and LL didn't also rejoin.

I think you can safely say that, up to the Crisis Issue, that the Legion's adventures from #6 to #18 could still have happened. Looking at the issues up to #35, I feel they could also have still happened. All except Cosmic Boy taking his vacation in the 20th Century. That would have to go the way of Supergirl.

In that time we have five Legionnaires being taken by a Controller to attack Tyrraz.
The Empress's Fatal Five.
Issue #23 is probably null & void as this is when Cos took his vacation and Superboy appears.
The Legion visiting Booster Gold. Though maybe that's now null & Void because of recent events in Booster's title...
Lightning Lass breaks up with Timber Wolf....Hmmmm....Now null & void?
Sensor Girl's identity revealed and the death of Mentalla.
Legionnaires 3.
Mordru being stripped of his powers...OK probably null & void....
Darkseid & Validus.
Star Boy resigning....Hmmmmm, null & void?
Starfinger.
The Universo Project.

OK I think you're right to some extent, Matthew. I still think #18 is a definite point...And it still may be possible that some of the "Post-Crisis" adventures still happened, such as the Fatal Five storyline, where Projectra is revealed, attacking Tyrraz, Legionnaires 3, Starfinger & The Universo Project.

#36 is a definite no-go area. It's the beginning of the Pocket Universe saga and the Time Trapper destroys the Time Institute. The issue begins many new storylines, particularly Polar Boy becoming Legion Leader.

OK, so my thinking is this. #18 is a definite cut off, some adventures, between #19 - #35 happened during that indeterminate time between the Crisis and Lightning Saga. During that period, Cos and LL also rejoin, Karate Kid is resurrected and whatever other changes there are, happened.

The Universo Project would actually be a good beginning point for what we see has happened to the 31st Century in Action Comics. There was already trouble during the Lightning Saga with Earth Man finding the tablet, based on remarks made in JLA & JSA. The chaos that Universo caused could have lead to a breakdown in society, leaving the way for Earth-Man to make his move and reshape the Earth.

Paul Newell
Titan President
#9301 07/09/08 07:10 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by rouge:
Does this mean Mordru's still encased in stone? Obviously not based on the L3W previews, but who freed him and how much power does he have back?
Heh....Starfinger.... smile

Actually at this point Mordru wasn't encased in stone. He'd had his magic drained by Darkseid in the Great Darkness Saga. He was being looked after on Zerox while the teachers decidsed what to do with him.

It's mentioned that Earth Man gave him the White Witch. Perhaps during that "twilight era" between the Cris and Lightning Saga, he regained his power and once again ruled Zerox?

Paul Newell
Titan President
#9302 07/09/08 07:38 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Paul Newell:
#36 is a definite no-go area. It's the beginning of the Pocket Universe saga and the Time Trapper destroys the Time Institute.
Although it's worth noting that in Action... I forget the issue number; it's the one after the Legion arc, with Batman and Lightning Lad... the Time Trapper verifies that all the pocket universe malarkey did happen, even if it isn't part of this particular Legion's history.

#9303 07/09/08 07:46 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
[b]#36 is a definite no-go area. It's the beginning of the Pocket Universe saga and the Time Trapper destroys the Time Institute.
Although it's worth noting that in Action... I forget the issue number; it's the one after the Legion arc, with Batman and Lightning Lad... the Time Trapper verifies that all the pocket universe malarkey did happen, even if it isn't part of this particular Legion's history. [/b]
Indeed. My reading of it is that the Time Trapper views the history of the Legion exactly as the readers do.

He see's the entire history of the Legion as linear, reboots included.

Paul Newell
Titan President
#9304 07/09/08 08:06 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
OOH, here's another two "danglers". What's the situation with Dev-Em and Laurel Kent now?

Paul Newell
Titan President
#9305 07/09/08 09:30 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I bet they don't exist.

#9306 07/09/08 09:56 PM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Dev-Em and Laurel Kent are, admittedly, continuity headaches, but not unexplainable (Dev-Em works just as well as a Daxamite...)

What about Nemesis Kid? If KK is still kicking, then did the LSV thing happen? Did he just survive it and everything else played out normally? What about Lightning Lord?

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#9307 07/09/08 10:33 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
I bet they don't exist.
Probably. But they could still appear as the "Last Son of Krypton" edict is no longer in force. Heck we have 2 Superman running around the DCU, Supergirl, Superboy-Prime and it appears Superman was Superboy when he was with the Legion.

Laurel Kent could be in the Superman line that extends through the centuries, as shown in DC ne Million. Plus there's all these hints being spread about New Krypton returning...

Paul Newell
Titan President
#9308 07/09/08 10:38 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by Not-So-Bad Lad:

Dev-Em and Laurel Kent are, admittedly, continuity headaches, but not unexplainable (Dev-Em works just as well as a Daxamite...)
Laurle Kent not so much, but Dev-Em is. And I like the Daxamite retcon.

What about Nemesis Kid? If KK is still kicking, then did the LSV thing happen? Did he just survive it and everything else played out normally? What about Lightning Lord?
I think so. Hints were spread throughout that Karate Kid did die and was somehow revived or saved by the founders.

I can't remember what Lightning Lord's status was at that point. Takron Galtos?

Which is another point. Was Takron Galtos still destroyed during the Crisis? Is the prison planet still Labrynth?

Paul Newell
Titan President
#9309 07/09/08 11:19 PM
Laurel Kent not so much, but Dev-Em is. And I like the Daxamite retcon.
Laurel Kent(and other characters like Jenni) could work easily if they just say "Bugger all, at SOME point we lost track of direct linenage, but these people are descended, we're pretty sure, from Flash, Superman, etc."

On another note, I gotta say something: I like KK as much as the next guy, but if they can just revive members that are dead at their leisure, then Legion deaths mean about as much as X-Men deaths....

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#9310 07/10/08 03:35 PM
Active
Active

On another note, I gotta say something: I like KK as much as the next guy, but if they can just revive members that are dead at their leisure, then Legion deaths mean about as much as X-Men deaths....
Well, that was pretty much the set up for the first full reboot, wasn't it? I mean, after that, everything goes, even a snake on the team.
I still think Johns wants us to believe the Action team is taken exactly from a bit before the first Crisis. So, my question is: what has Geoff written that collides directly with the original team at that period?

#9311 07/10/08 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Ricardo:
[b]
Well, that was pretty much the set up for the first full reboot, wasn't it? I mean, after that, everything goes, even a snake on the team.
I still think Johns wants us to believe the Action team is taken exactly from a bit before the first Crisis. So, my question is: what has Geoff written that collides directly with the original team at that period? [/b]
I never liked the idea of the reboot, to be honest. Though it turned out pretty good, in my opinion, I would've been much happier sticking with the Older Legionnaires and the SW6 batch.

- Crow T. Robot
#9312 07/10/08 07:21 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Collides directly?

Mmm... maybe nothing. Nothing that can't be waved off one way or another. (For me, it's the quantity of things to be waved off, and the number of different types of waving, that make the difference.) I suppose we could look at things like the Wildfire-Red Tornado connection (although that may be Meltzer's contribution) or Dream Girl's association with the Dreaming (where Naltor had previously been a scientific, not mystical, world), but those certainly aren't insuperable.

#9313 07/11/08 11:23 AM
Active
Active
I will rephrase: are there any serious contradictions (not costume or hairdo) between Action Legion and Legion of Super-Heroes circa v3 12? Because, for me, this is the key to understanding Geoff Johns plot for L3W.

#9314 07/11/08 11:40 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Same answer. I believe that no such serious contradictions have been established.

(However, I think there are some sizable contradictions that have been indicated though not firmly established, such as the Legion memberships of Chemical King, Tyroc, Tellus, Quislet and Magnetic Kid.)

#9315 07/11/08 12:15 PM
Same answer. I believe that no such serious contradictions have been established.

(However, I think there are some sizable contradictions that have been indicated though not firmly established, such as the Legion memberships of Chemical King, Tyroc, Tellus, Quislet and Magnetic Kid.)
I thought the Action Legion was taken from a time period before Tellus Quislet and Blok joined, and at a time where Tyroc was absent and Condo already dead...

- Crow T. Robot
#9316 07/11/08 02:12 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Well, I don't mean to imply that Tyroc and Chemical King should be current members of Johns's Legion, but whenever there's been a shot of Johns's Legion's historical membership (like the statues in the Fortress of Solitude, or the big group shot in the first issue of the Action arc), they've been absent.

As for Tellus, Quislet and Pol, they joined in the wake of Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy resigning, a little while before Crisis on Infinite Earths. So if COIE is the cutoff point, they should be there.

#9317 07/11/08 07:19 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Plus the whole thing with Tellus Quislet & Pol is that they joined the same time as Polar Boy and Projectra as Sensor Girl. The presence of those two indicate that the "cut off" is some time after issue #14.

Paul Newell
Titan President
#9318 07/11/08 11:09 PM
Active
Active
Plus the whole thing with Tellus Quislet & Pol is that they joined the same time as Polar Boy and Projectra as Sensor Girl. The presence of those two indicate that the "cut off" is some time after issue #14.
So, it is exactly before Crisis On Infinite Earths. That's why Geoff is calling it Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds. In my opinion, he is going to tie (somehow) the Time Trapper to be at least partially behind the Crisis. He has retconned the Time Trapper to become a character with hatred towards Superman (that's new, but not unlikely). His messing up with the Legion in the first place might have unleashed the first Crisis in the first place. Maybe that's how he will "explain" everything that went on to LSH as a result of that. Remember: I said it first! lol

Edit: I forgot to add: why on Earth would they reprint Eye For an Eye, if not to place it right before Legion formation circa Crisis? Just for the Legion of Super-Villains? I think not.

#9319 07/12/08 02:02 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Ricardo:
In my opinion, he is going to tie (somehow) the Time Trapper to be at least partially behind the Crisis. He has retconned the Time Trapper to become a character with hatred towards Superman (that's new, but not unlikely). His messing up with the Legion in the first place might have unleashed the first Crisis in the first place. Maybe that's how he will "explain" everything that went on to LSH as a result of that. Remember: I said it first! lol
If that so.... then I'll say this.

Incarnations? What incarnations?

If DC's beating the same bush to say every era of the Legion are just temporal duplicates, then it really just simplifies things. Nothing's canon or non-canon, since it's the future. A combined Legion continuity, made out of every era - an array of what-ifs and what-nots, thought the most natural progression would be the early Swan/Shooter years, then the '90s reboot, followed by Threeboot, then '70s Legion-onward as an apparent future (or currently being reimagined in Shooter's current run), as well as 5YL & LS - these two diverging paths are even better examples of Hypertime. You've heard it right here! Feel free to use character/development transitions between the aforementioned eras as fanfiction material!

"For some reason I can't explain or understand, and probably never will... EVERYTHING comes from SUPERMAN." - Alexander Luthor, Jr.

Unfortunately, the Legion is no exception.
#9320 07/12/08 05:40 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I thought the Action Legion was taken from a time period before Tellus Quislet and Blok joined,
If Superman knows who Sensor and Polar Boy are, he should definitely know about Tellus, Quislet, Magnetic Kid (and they should have had statues), as they joined at the same time.

Blok was also well before that group. Character-wise, he was kind of winding down by the time Polar Boy joined, actually.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,044
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
kidflash2fan
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pagan Lass
Pagan Lass
Legion World Security Office
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star