Roll Call
0 members (), 116 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/28/24 03:23 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Projectra's attitude to Spider Girl as a Legionnaire?
#9325 01/18/05 11:26 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Hey, I was just reading another thread where Spider Girl was mentioned and I was reminded of something that I felt quite strongly at the time that I was reading the TMK issues.

Spider Girl was a member of the LSV at the time that Karate Kid was murdered by Nemesis Kid of the same organisation. Spider Girl, like all the others swore to kill a Legionnaire. One of her teammates succeeded in fulfilling his oath and murdered Projectra's beloved husband.

And we are led to believe that Jeckie had no problem with Sussa being a member of the reformed Legion? I don't think so. I thought it was amazing at the time that this was never covered. I would have thought that Jeckie would have been *very* angry to put it mildly that an assoicate of her husband's killer had blithely and casually been accepted as a teammate by her fellow Legionnaires.

Yes I know that it was put into the text pieces that she was brainwashed by some villain (can't remember which one now) to explain the complete personality change from cold blooded killer (in her scant previous appearances) to loveable scatterbrained bad girl with a heart of gold blah blah. But still, I would have thought that Jeckie would have had a *big* problem with it.

I always thought that should have been addressed. Has anyone else also ever thought this?

Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!
Re: Projectra's attitude to Spider Girl as a Legionnaire?
#9326 01/18/05 11:34 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I never thought of it, but it's a good question.

And I absolutely *despise* the LSV-as-drug-addicted Dark Circle cult retcon from TMK.

#9327 01/18/05 11:39 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
I suspect that retcon was because the Beirbaums wanted to use Spider Girl, but were somewhat prevented to do so by the fact that she had been portrayed as an evil killer in her few appearances.

So they could use Spider Girl they retconned the whole LSV. Kind of drastic don't you think?

Better to say it applies to the Glorithverse only, and that the Earth 1 (real) Legion is untouched! That's what I do. (I'm such a Legion Luddite smile )

Fire in the disco! Fire in the Taco Bell! Fire in the disco! Fire in the gates of hell!!
#9328 01/18/05 11:46 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Well, it also was supposed to let Mekt, Eve and Ron-Karr off the hook as well.

But yeah, let's just say it never happened in the *real* Legion... wink

#9329 01/18/05 11:58 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
True enough, it certainly must be frustrating for a writer when a prior portrayal of a character disagrees with what you want to do with them. The perils of the demon continuity!

The same problem was come up against with Inferno (Sandy Anderson version) after she got stranded in the 21st century they wanted to use her in the Teen Titans, I believe but then they realised that she had been shown happily burning people to death in the Workforce. So that idea went bye-bye fast!

In any case, as I indicated earlier, I regard Glorithverse continuity as totally separate from Earth 1 continuity. I always think that what would have happened to the Legion after the end of the Magic Wars is not necessarily what was shown to happen (or not shown) in the five year gap. As far as I am concerned the Earth 1 legion ended with the last issue of v3 (it is v3 isn't it?) even though it was several years after crisis!

And thus, I tidily retcon out all the TMK things I don't like! It's Gooood to be a Legion fan! tongue

#9330 01/18/05 12:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sussa never really did anything that extreme while she was with the LSV. In fact, I'm sure Projectra didn't even take notice of her, she was always pretty focused on Nemesis Kid, which makes sense since they joined the Legion at the same time.

I do, however, agree that it would have been interesting to see Jecky sort of put Sussa in her place, or maybe even ignore Sussa. I think it goes to show that after losing Val, Jecky didn't care to sweat the small stuff.

#9331 01/18/05 12:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Heh! I just remembered that my current avatar is my drawing of Sussa!! Coincedence?

#9332 01/18/05 12:10 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I do think you have to distinguish the "hard-core" LSVers from the hangers-on, who really weren't as committed to the killing of the Legionnaires as the others were.

What's interesting about that whole arc is that there seem to be conflicting motivations on behalf of the LSV. There's the "blood oath" idea, and then there's the "let's kidnap the planet and go to another galaxy" idea. There seems to be some tension among different factions of the organization as to which of these they are actually trying to accomplish.

#9333 01/18/05 12:13 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
You may have a point there, Sketch Lad! Certainly that would be a good reason for Jeckie's lack of disturbance over this. (of course we could surmise that something was said, off panel. But then we could surmise pretty much anything that way! And why not? smile )

I think it should have been addressed either way. I think it could have made a good story, or at least a good 3 and a half panels! smile True, Jeckie was a philosophical type. She might not have responded with as much fury as say, Shadow Lass or Phantom Girl (if she had been around at that time) in similar circumstances. And due to her spiritual mindset, I think she would have probably forgiven Sussa in the end (since it is true she didn't really do anything that bad)

My feeling was that when it comes to things like bereavement and losing loved ones in those sorts of circumstances, people are less than rational. My thought was maybe Jeckie would have been irrational about it. But I think she would have come to an understanding with Sussa in the end, sort of like Vi and Yera. But we will never know, will we? Alas!

Still, it would have made a great story.

#9334 01/18/05 03:45 PM
Active
Active
Waittasec? When was it shown that the LSV were being drugged by the Dark Circle? I completely missed that one!

#9335 01/18/05 05:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
Waittasec? When was it shown that the LSV were being drugged by the Dark Circle? I completely missed that one!
i think i missed that one, too confused !!!

Matthew.

#9336 01/18/05 05:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
btw did we know which LSV member had made the oath to kill, which LEGIONNAIRE ???

there's the obvious ones, but who would Ron-Carr have picked, etc .....

Matthew.

#9337 01/18/05 06:04 PM
L
Substitute
Substitute
L
Ron-Carr hated Bouncing Boy with a passion. He was always like "So if he can INFLATE and be a legionnaire, why can't I deflate and be a legionnaire?"

Tee-hee!

#9338 01/18/05 06:16 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The LSV-as-cult idea, I believe, was spelled out in detail in the Sourcebook, but references can also be found in a lot of the text pages on former LSVers.

#9339 01/19/05 08:34 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Great topic, I-Drura! It *would* have been a great story, I wish we got to see it. There was a lot of room for good stories with Jeckie during TMK that were never really touched on, and I wonder what the conversation b/t Jo and Jeckie would have been, considering Val was always listed as being among Jo's closest friends (like Mon and Brin).

I really didn't catch onto the LSV as a cult idea either...not sure if I like it. Anyone able to post pics or files on this?

There was some definite tension among the LSV. It seemed that Mekt and Sun Emperor always had their own agenda, while Zimyr and Nemesis Kid (the other main 'leaders') certainly had their own. Then there were the lesser members that were just plain nasty, but hardcore (like Silver Slasher), and the less members that didn't really seem like 'killers' (Spider-Girl, Ron Karr, etc.)

Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Well, it also was supposed to let Mekt, Eve and Ron-Karr off the hook as well.
So after the Glorithverse, these four (including Sussa) were never a part of the LSV during that story or never made a blood oath? I'm a little confused this (and am hoping Eryk can fill me in! laugh )

#9340 01/19/05 08:49 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Well, they still participated in all the LSV activities, but were basically drugged and brainwashed, so they weren't really in their right minds for a lot of the more evil stuff.

Laevar Bolto (Cosmic King) was revealed to be behind the LSV from the very beginning, and was the one responsible for recruiting all of the others to the cult.

#9341 01/19/05 08:59 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Holy Moley! I never knew that before, and I've been message board posting since my mid-teens! Where and when was this revealed?

Cosmic King suddenly is the most evil of them all!

#9342 01/19/05 09:13 AM
Active
Active
Should they bring back Spider-Girl as a good girl or bad girl?

#9343 01/19/05 11:46 PM
Active
Active
They should bring her back as good girl who can be bad.

#9344 01/20/05 06:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's the best way to go!

SpiderGirl

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#9345 01/20/05 10:40 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm also curious about this LSV as drug cult. I can't think of anywhere this appeared in the comics. Is it only in the sourcebook? Can I have some details?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#9346 01/20/05 11:22 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
There was some discussion of that in this thread here, though you'll have to dig through it a little:

Here

It was never strictly addressed in the books unless maybe in a text page somewhere.

#9347 01/20/05 01:43 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm pretty certain there are some (perhaps oblique?) references to it in some of the text pages, particularly those discussing former LSVers, though the full story only got told in the sourcebook.

#9348 01/20/05 02:16 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
And in the loose leaf Who's Who too I think.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KOKO
KOKO
Interplanetary Zoo
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star