Roll Call
0 members (), 78 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Micro Heroes For FanFic.
#98094 07/17/08 02:04 PM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
OP Offline
Thanks for your kind words, Jorge! I'm really trying to keep the Reboot feel for the uniforms while simultaneously giving them new and different takes. That you've noticed is nice. smile And I really couldn't have gotten this far without your advice and your awesome micros as inspiration.

I've got Xs, Dawnstar, and Saturn Girl done and sitting on my PC. I'll upload them when I get home later today.

Next up are Blok and Quislet. For Quislet, I've played around a little for the format of the character himself; my goal was to keep his alien nature intact while also making him easier to identify with for the other characters. Hopefully it'll pay off. wink

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#98095 07/17/08 05:29 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Space Angel" - Shikari DawneStarr

Forgive the codename, but one of my friends, whilst we were talking about the 70's Legion, said something along the lines of "So..their new members were a garbage bag of energy and a Space Angel?" And ever since, I've wanted that to be Dawny's handle lol

Anyhoo, blending a not so good idea (inbred Native Americans who are sterotypical trackers? really?) with an updated less-but-still-bad idea (typical far-out girl who is easy to like) can combine into a fairly decent idea (mutated member of a clandestine race who has trained herself to use her powers and talents to become one of the top space pilots in the universe; attracts the attention of a certain billionare philanthropist, and that's that!)

I tried to combine the physical aspects of Shikari and Dawnstar, but also wanted to stay as close as I could to the pre-ZH costume without making it look like an Indian Burlesque costume.

I'll probably go back and rework the skin tone a little, but I'm fairly happy with it as is for now.

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#98096 07/17/08 10:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well I must say it is interesting. But I like my Dawny showing alot more skin. wink But still it is interesting. The Shikari/Dawnstar mix.

#98097 07/18/08 10:40 AM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Saturn Girl" - Imra Ardeen

Imra's had more bad costumes than good, in my opinion. This is a character who is part den mother, part front-line fighter, part leader, so I tried to give her an outfit with a bit more authority than ones previously seen. I kept the red and white of previous outfits, but added blue and forwent the skirts and bathing suits that have plagued her previously. While her suit doesn't follow the "stripe" designs of the others ones, Imra is one of those characters that you want to stand out, and the less conventional costume I think does that.

- Crow T. Robot
#98098 07/18/08 10:46 AM
OP Offline
This is one design that was dictated a lot more by my story than a previous incarnation. It's a very rough draft, and I'm going to add an "energy field" once I can figure out how best to do that wink but here goes...

[Linked Image]

"Quislet" - *unpronounceable* of Teall

Okay, I wanted something different. I wanted a form that, while humanoid, could still distinguish Quislet quickly from his organic peers. The "body" is made of Inertron, Carbon, Trommium, and Tarnium; this way, Quislet has a form he can take into battle that he doesn't have to worry about decaying when he leaves it. Rather than being an entity encased in a single minute starship, Quislet in this FicVerse is an energy field, and the "drones" floating around him are constantly regulating the field by adding small amounts of matter to it to keep Quislet stabilized in this universe.

The body was some action figure template I found, and I like how it looks like Quislet has sort of built a caricature of the normal humanoid body type...

- Crow T. Robot
#98099 07/18/08 10:54 AM
OP Offline
This one has been a bit of a headache, but nowhere NEAR as hard as the Gates and Tellus ones (which I'm currently trying to build; I figure after all the alien ones, building human micros will be a breeze lol )

[Linked Image]

"Blok" - Blok of Dryad

While I really hate the idea of using ones name as a heroic moniker ("Stand back citizens, _FRANK_ will take care of that fire!!!"), I don't think a better name for Blok exists out there wink .

I always liked the idea of a uniform for Blok that looks too small, as if any covering, even something as passive as clothing, has a difficult time encasing the sheer mass of this behemoth. The overalls and lack of shoes are more for personality; Blok is wearing cloths as a courtesy (like Reep) to those bipeds who are uncomfortable with big rocky nakedness. When designing the suit, I kind of wanted it to look like the Silver Age Mon-El suit, as sort of a nod to those great stories, and I think the effect works well on Blok.

- Crow T. Robot
#98100 07/18/08 10:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Imra's costume is one of the best I've ever seen! Agree totally with the authority and den mother stuff. Great job!

Quislet and Blok are certainly experimental. I think you might be onto something with Quislet.

#98101 07/20/08 11:55 AM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Lightning Lad" - Garth Ranzz

"Live Wire"...isn't that the blue chick voiced by Tori Petty? "Lightning Lad" just...sounds better.

Garth has always, since the Silver Age, had one of the best designed costumes, and people know it. It hasn't changed too terribly much in several years, so I tried to stick with the basic design and shift the colors a little. I gave him slightly longer hair and a bit of a "soul patch" because, of the founder, Garth to me always seemed to have the most style...

- Crow T. Robot
#98102 07/20/08 12:05 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Cosmic Boy" - Rokk Krinn

Rokk is a leader, an athelete, a symbol. His suit should be simple and following the form of the rest of the team (a kinda lead by example thing) but still stand out. I like the dotted collar of his older costumes more than the dots on his chest, and having his costume be a series of different purples. I thinks it's cool to keep metal on himself with the gauntlets and collar; it's the forward thinking you'd expect from a guy who could lead 30+ space teenagers into battle, right? wink

- Crow T. Robot
#98103 07/20/08 12:10 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Kid Quantum" - James Cullen

James has only really had one uniform, and with the Legion Starburst for a symbol, it makes him look like a Legion Mascot. I changed the colors and his hairstyle, and tried to make a sort of "clock/letter Q" symbol on his chest. It doesn't look the best yet, but I already like it better than his other costume...

- Crow T. Robot
#98104 07/20/08 03:01 PM
T
Active
Active
T
Originally posted by Not-So-Bad Lad:
Garth has always, since the Silver Age, had one of the best designed costumes, and people know it. It hasn't changed too terribly much in several years, so I tried to stick with the basic design and shift the colors a little. I gave him slightly longer hair and a bit of a "soul patch" because, of the founder, Garth to me always seemed to have the most style...
Unfortunately, I can't say this Garth does. Blue, yellow and orange is a hard combination to make work.
Originally posted by Not-So-Bad Lad:
James has only really had one uniform, and with the Legion Starburst for a symbol, it makes him look like a Legion Mascot. I changed the colors and his hairstyle, and tried to make a sort of "clock/letter Q" symbol on his chest. It doesn't look the best yet, but I already like it better than his other costume...
I like the emblem. Most Legionnaires (and many superheroes in general) lack distinctive logos.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#98105 07/20/08 05:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I really like Invisible Kid's costume...much better than the ones in Legion books. very cool and fitting.

#98106 07/20/08 08:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like all three of them especially Rokk and James. I agree with you about Garth but you tried to be creative. Reminds me of his Imperial Guard analog (that I can't remember right now...Livewire?).

The reason I Rokk's so much? Cause I've seen tons of variations and you yet found another that looks great!

#98107 07/21/08 12:17 PM
OP Offline
Trip, Jorge and Supesjr: thanks for the kind words and reviews!

Here's my next attempt:

[Linked Image]

"Colossal Boy" - Gim Allon

Again, I took the some of the more definitive pieces (and I'm sorry, but if you don't like those Silver Age Cowboy Gloves, than you're some kinda android lol ) and expanded the Threeboot symbol (which I thought was inspired)plus changed the colors, like Imra, into a scheme that reminds one of police authority; Gim is a cop, first and foremost.

- Crow T. Robot
#98108 07/21/08 12:23 PM
OP Offline
Now the template gave me a little trouble on this one, but I think it works well, more or less...

[Linked Image]

"Rebound" - Chuck Taine

Keeping the Silver Age quality of Chuck's uniform, while trying to add a chest symbol that is definitive for him (He's really never had more than one costume, to be honest, so I just started from scratch). I don't know whether or not he has the right look, body-wise, but to me he looks chubby enough laugh

- Crow T. Robot
#98109 07/21/08 12:50 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Xs" - Jenni Ognats

While in the FicVerse Jenni isn't as closely related to the Family of Speed, she is a distant ancestor for whom the dice of life rolled seven. I thought Jenni's color scheme could be better, so I changed it to her "family colors" so to speak. I put her in sneaker, because putting boots on a speedster makes very little sense. I also changed her symbol, keeping it her own symbol while making it more closely resemble the old circle-and-bolt.

- Crow T. Robot
#98110 07/21/08 10:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Colossal Boy and XS look amazing. Chuck there isn't much you can do with you is there? smile I'm not his biggest fan. Love the color changes for both Gim and Jenni.

#98111 07/22/08 09:44 AM
Honorary
Honorary
NSBL:

I've waited a bit to post because I wanted to see a good number of your creations before giving my opinion.

I really, really, really enjoy these!! I mean, it is a fantastic take on the Legion. And if you are a beginner at making micros, more power to you. Keep it up, they look great. I enjoy the redesigns and your personal takes on the Legion. Can we see a group shot? I think it would do your efforts more justice to put a couple of these kids together, after all, the Legion is a TEAM.

I love that you've mixed all 'boots and haven't "taken the easy road" in some ways (renaming characters, messing with powers, symbols, colors, etc).

Keep it up, I look forward to you updating this thread. Are you writing anything along with these guys? I hope so!

Ultra Boy? Projectra? KK? Dare I say KINETIX??

everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.
#98112 07/22/08 03:14 PM
OP Offline
Jorge: Thanks! Yea, Chuck's a bit of a lost cause in the Uniform department, but I still love the character, so I gave it my best shot. I was real proud of how Jenni's colors came out, and thanks for the kind words!

WWWWtR? Lad: Thanks a lot for the encouragement! Yes, I am writing a FicVerse along with these, but I want to get it good and mapped out before I start posting it. One of the things I have always loved with the Legion is the sheer number of different characters running around, but it does get to be a bit of a headache making sure everything is orderly when written down. As for your wishlist....

Karate Kid: He's next up. I've been trying to work on the less human Legionnaires, but have put them aside for a second, so I'm currently trying to hammer out his uniform; I want it to be seperate from a martial arts uniform, but definitely in the same spirit...

Kinetix: Zoe is definitely in, but her powers are getting a little reworked. I've got the basic idea for what I want, but I'm still trying to get the kinks out of the story.

Projectra: Yes and No. In the FicVerse, there is a Prjectra...and a Sensor. I promise I'll explain when I post them.

Anyway, as for Ultra Boy...

[Linked Image]

I loved the shirt Jo had in the latter 5YL storylines that had his classic symbol as a sort of collar design on his shirt, so I mixed that in with the general feel of he reboot suit, kept the grunge hair and the stubble, and viola!

"Ultra Boy" - Jo Nah

- Crow T. Robot
#98113 07/22/08 03:25 PM
OP Offline
Now this one came out a little more evil looking than I had planned....

[Linked Image]

"Catalyst King" - Condo Arlick

Condo spent his whole life locked away from society learning to control his power. While he's one of the mightier Legionnaires in the terms of raw power (being able to manipulate chemical reactions is pretty darn impressive) he hasn't trained yet to really be imaginative, and his abilities are constantly causing havok with his internal chemistry (hence the dark circles under his eyes and the slight mental quirks), though his friendship with Lyle Norg is very much a stabilizing force for him.

I alway thought Condo's suit was bland, though the collar was just glorious. So I kept it and the same rough color scheme while giving it a more dynamic feeling overall. Also, I wanted him to appear younger and more fresh-faced than many of his peers; a lot of the stresses of everyday life are completely lost on the isolated youth.

Also, he's not the "King" of "chemicals", he's a catalyst for their reactions, hence the slight name change...

- Crow T. Robot
#98114 07/22/08 03:29 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Polar Boy" - Brek Bannin

Again, just fiddlin' with the different purples I could make. Was trying to get a lighter tone than any of the hues in Rokk's costume and the light blue separates them fairly well. This template was a lot smaller than the normal ones (Brek has always been leaner and smaller than most of his compatriots) so I had to start from scratch on most of it. I forwent the 'icicle' chest symbol, which I may regret in the future, but with the fur it just looked to busy, and I really didn't want to loose the fur. what do you guys think? Fur or symbol?

- Crow T. Robot
#98115 07/22/08 03:52 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Supergirl" - Mon-El

Now before you start chucking healthy sized bricks at me, allow me to defend myself: the powerhouses of the Legion (Superboy, Mon-El, Supergirl/Andromeda), were a healthy sized headache in the Preboot, and a bit wishy-washy in the reboot. How do we solve the dilemma of continuity whilst simultaneously keeping the same feeling of the Adventure Era?

One Word: Kandor.

Instead of Time Travel or retcon punches or anything of the sort, two specimens from Kandor were returned to their full size and kept in stasis as specimens by Brainiac. These two Kryptonians, last full-blooded members of their race, were forgotten as the evil lineage of Brainiac mellowed, and eventually found their way to one of the most powerful men in the U.P.: R.J. Brande.

This way, everyone wins. Still a "Super" lineage in the Legion, but without the migraine wrought by the young Clark Kent.

Her suit was pretty straightforward: incorporating all the colors of Classic Superman, adding a dash of skin (what's she worried about? she's invulnerable!) and there we are.

Oh, and Superboy? Dev-Em smile

- Crow T. Robot
#98116 07/23/08 06:14 PM
T
Active
Active
T
Ultra Boy reminds me a bit of his version in the Arthurian Elseworld - or, at least, another possible very retro Jo. Since I thought that design worked, I'll say this one works too.

And Supergirl as a Kandorian? And Mon-El as a real descendant of the House of El? In one stroke? I should've thought of that. One problem: Mon-El is a male Kryptonian name.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#98117 07/23/08 07:30 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:

And Supergirl as a Kandorian? And Mon-El as a real descendant of the House of El? In one stroke? I should've thought of that. One problem: Mon-El is a male Kryptonian name.
Yea, I wanted to make Mon-El much closer to supes and the Krptonians, so I figured Kandor would make the most sense. And her full name is Mona Zor-El, but she shortens it. Like Henry becomes Hank or Christopher becomes Chris.

- Crow T. Robot
#98118 07/23/08 09:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Don't love Jo's costume. Kind of reminds me of one of the Merry Men. smile

However I do love Catalyst Kid and Supergirl. I had a similar idea for a new Supergirl...but she was a daxamite.

Polar Boy's costume I really like but wouldn't mind some tweak here and there. Plus I just love the helmet on him.

Here was my daxamite Supergirl idea. She was just a daxamite mutant who did not inherit the lead weakness.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ibn al-Nezumi
Ibn al-Nezumi
Indojapan, Earth
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star