Roll Call
0 members (), 88 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Micro Heroes For FanFic.
#98119 07/24/08 12:37 AM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
OP Offline
Jorge: I love the streamlined suit for S-Girl, and the Red/Blue switch looks fantastic! I went and checked out your Cadets on your page (which I guess I missed the first time through) and they are great. I love the mutated Daxamite idea too; unfortunately the story I've written out paints a pretty somber picture for the Daxamites...

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#98120 07/24/08 12:15 PM
OP Offline
Jorge - I love the idea for inverting the "Supes" colors. What do you think of this?

[Linked Image]

"Superboy" - Dev-Em

One of the things about the classic Legion costumes that irked me a little was the fact that, save for a skirt, Superboy and Supergirl were wearing pretty much the same thing. I wanted their to be some individuality.

While his chest symbol is different, it's still "Supes", and all the traditional colors are their. While his hair is much lighter, I couldn't resist giving him a bit of a spitcurl. smile I tried to make it look as 'iconic' as possible without sticking to any of the more standard Superman costumes. Also, I followed the "Legion Stripe" formula, if only to make him look more like a team member than a combination messiah/mascot.

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#98121 07/24/08 12:44 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Triad" - Luornu Durgo

This was one of the more difficult ones, if only because I tried to make three distinct uniforms that could be blended into one uniform that didn't feel _too_ busy.

With Triad, I always liked the idea of One girl becoming Three girls, all their own person, exemplifying certain aspects of the Main personality while each being unique. While it does make Lu a bit more 'spacey', she's also (at least the way I'd like to portray her) one of the more intuitive and deep-thinking Legionnaires; while everyone else is trying to work out a problem, she has three people each following a different logic strand to a specific conclusion.

Anway, back to the costume; Orange and Purple don't work the best in my opinion, so I switched it to Green and Gold (which are the colors of a certain other Splitting Hero, but I promise it was a complete accident smile ) and made the costumes blend into one uniform in her merged form (a la cartoon Legion).

I didn't just want the uniform to be the only different things about them either. While they combine to make a single person, they are persons of their own right, and their appearances should reflect that.

As for personalities:

Gold is outgoing, flirtatious, headstrong, and
courageous

Green is withdrawn, cynical, unsure, phobic, and sarcastic

Gray is maternal, patient, wise, centered, and caring

- Crow T. Robot
#98122 07/24/08 12:53 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Karate Kid" - Val Armorr

With Val, I'm of the opinion that less is more. Like Condo, I missed most of Val's "Action" appearances, so I'm more using the archetypes of him I have seen (Reboot, Threeboot, Elseworlds, Flashback Issues, etc.) and I like it when they play Val as a quiet, reserved man who, while removed from his peers as a point of dicipline, is still capable of hangout and laughing and smiling.

His costume is simple, slightly loose, and subdued. Val, at least in the beginning, doesn't care much for flash or glory or standing out; what he does care about is function. The ability to move and react so that he can perform up to his best. I liked the 'taped' hands of the Threeboot, and the booties were inspired by Iron Fist, but the whole thing comes together to make something that, while not the most fun to look at, reflects the character well.

- Crow T. Robot
#98123 07/24/08 02:53 PM
T
Active
Active
T
Triad - Interesting! Three girls that don't really look like the same person at all.
Originally posted by Not-So-Bad Lad:
With Triad, I always liked the idea of One girl becoming Three girls, all their own person, exemplifying certain aspects of the Main personality while each being unique. While it does make Lu a bit more 'spacey', she's also (at least the way I'd like to portray her) one of the more intuitive and deep-thinking Legionnaires; while everyone else is trying to work out a problem, she has three people each following a different logic strand to a specific conclusion.
As a definite Lu fan, I have to say I didn't really think of that possibility. I like the idea that her power could make her functionally more intelligent than a normal human. Taking advantage of three minds to solve one problem - good girl, Lu!

Anway, back to the costume; Orange and Purple don't work the best in my opinion, so I switched it to Green and Gold (which are the colors of a certain other Splitting Hero, but I promise it was a complete accident smile ) and made the costumes blend into one uniform in her merged form (a la cartoon Legion).
I still prefer orange and purple... Anyway, your costumes are alright, as long as you're going for a Lu who spends a lot of her time apart - and you seem to be doing that. Love the thigh cutouts on Gold.
As for personalities:

Gold is outgoing, flirtatious, headstrong, and
courageous

Green is withdrawn, cynical, unsure, phobic, and sarcastic

Gray is maternal, patient, wise, centered, and caring[/QB]
Wow. One body acts like she's older than the others.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#98124 07/25/08 11:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That Superboy looks amazing! Love it!

Good idea having each Triplicate have a different costume. And on Val...yes less is more. Good job.

#98125 07/26/08 12:02 PM
OP Offline
Here are all the members I've done so far. I've changed a few in response to a few critques (I went back and looked at the Orange/Yellow on Lightning Lad and I couldn't agree more. It just doesn't flow well) and I've tweaked a few outfits, changed a few faces, and here they are so far!

[Linked Image]

Next up are Tasmia, Kinetix, Projectra and Sensor, Tellus, Gates, and Wildfire!

- Crow T. Robot
#98126 07/26/08 03:27 PM
T
Active
Active
T
Didn't realize how many you'd done already.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
#98127 07/28/08 05:20 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Wildfire" - Drake Burroughs

To confess, I've always thought Drake had one of the best visuals in the Legion, and maybe even in the top 20 for comics overall. You can easily pick him out of a crowd, his design has a lot to do with his character, his emblem is simple but dynamic. I say this to say that I didn't wanna eff with Drake's chi all too much.

I made his costume a lot darker with flares of color, kept the simple expressionless visor, expanded his emblem, and added some kibble to his gloves and boots. Remember, his suit isn't just a uniform, it's his _body_, so chances are there's regulatory equipment built in and the like. In that vein, I also took out much of the "definition" to the body. He's not a person wearing a suit; he's an energy cloud doing its best to emulate a human shape, so six pack abs and well defined legs make little sense.

- Crow T. Robot
#98128 07/28/08 05:58 PM
OP Offline
Well, I promised earlier to explain this, so here goes:

[Linked Image]

"Projectra" - Wilimena Morgana Daergina Annaxandra Velorya Vauxhall

[Linked Image]

"Sensor" - Jeka Wynzorr

Okay, so I loved the idea of Orando being a backwards other dimensonal planet, that tries to keep its tech level down and sticks to a medieval governing system. So I thought "why not expand on it?"

So my Orando has a society of humans led through a rigorous caste system of which Princess Projectra is a member. Her powers are bestowed upon her through a mystical lineage, and those of her family that inheret the powers are expected to one day lead their people.

As for the costume: While I'm following my rules of Function over Flare, this _IS_ a Princess. So adornments and jewelry are expected. I wanted to add a cape, but I figured this would be her 'action' outfit and the cape would be added in a more casual enviornment.

Jeka: When then human Orandans' other dimensonal world phased into our plane, they came into being where what was thought a barren planetoid was. They weren't aware of a subterranean race of sentients underground on the planet. In fact, none of the galaxy was. It was only after the building of a Starship Landing Port centuries later collapsed an underground city that anyone was aware of the "True Orandans", as they liked to be called. Needless to say, the True Orandans did not like the idea of humans phasing into existance right on top of them, and the ancient society of the Human Orando looked on the snake-people as demons. This led to centuries of war.

For a few generations there has been peace, and the True Orandans have attempted to become more genial with the beings around them in the cosmos. In this vein, they have sent one of the many mutants of their kind, a high-born girl named Jeka with amazing extrasensory abilities, to represent them in the Legion.

...WHEW, that took a hot second. Sorry about being long winded about it, but now you get the gist; Projectra has the illusion casting abilities, Jeka has a version of the "Sensor Girl" abilities. I wanted to do a variation of the "Snake Girl" Jeka, so I nixed the hair and made the pink markings more like scales than tattos.

- Crow T. Robot
#98129 07/29/08 07:11 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've seen his Gates guys and it rocks!

Wildfire? Kind of looks like a football player but I'm not sure that is a bad thing. I like it.

Projectra looks like a She-Ra character and that is a good thing as well! smile

Sensor? Oh boy you are brave! JK, you gave us two version. I personally like the half human half snake look (it's better than all snake!)

Good job.

#98130 07/29/08 08:22 AM
T
Active
Active
T
You've taken Projectra and Sensor... and made them work.

#98131 07/29/08 09:26 AM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Gates" - Ti'Julk Mr'Asz

Now physiologically I didn't want to change very much about Gates; Teleporting giant bug is A-Ok in my book smile . I made him brown, which felt more right to me than the dark blue, gave him multi-faceted eyes, and expanded the 'disc' on his chest. I also forewent the hood in favor of showing Gates' head, and extended it up and backwards (think a smaller 'Aliens' Head and you'd be pretty close). Huges kudos to Ultra Jorge, who allowed me to use his Gates as a template. I owe you huge man!

- Crow T. Robot
#98132 07/29/08 11:32 AM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Dream Girl" - Nura Nal

Now, for me, Nura has always been a little bit misdirection, a little bit sex pot, and a lotta bit good nature and intentions (apologies for the syntax; you just can't take the South outta the boy sometimes lol ). I wanted to give her a "Reboot"-esque costume without losing the appeal of her old silver bathing suit. I added the "cut out" portions I tweaked the chest, the hair, the face and the eyes, trying, like I did with Dirk, to convey 'Hollywood' as much as I could with the templates. Like Tenzil, Nura realies heavily on getting those around her to underestimate her (hence the cutesy little "Thought Bubble" emblem). Unlike M-E Lad, Nura is a lot better at playing a part and manipulating those around her into knowing only what she wants them to know. She's intelligent, intuitive, and quick thinking, but being all of those things out in the open is only debilitating to whatever needs to be done, so she covers it with a bright smile and a bubbly, irrepresible attitude. There, also, has to be a bit of sadness underthere, what with knowing beforehand how things are going to turn out and only being able to do so much to manipulate the outcome. That she doesn't show much or any frustration about it is a real testament. Now, this doesn't mean she can't (and doesn't) enjoy every single second of the glitzy lifestyle; it just means she understands that with that enjoyment comes the responsibilities powers like hers entail.

- Crow T. Robot
#98133 07/29/08 11:41 AM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Phantom Girl" - Tinya Wazzo

I admittedly haven't used too many aspects of the Cartoon Uniforms in my designs, but I could not resist the little "Ghost" emblem for Tinya wink . The darker eyes I got from "Superboy's Legion", one of the best Elseworlds and a fantastic reimagining of the Legion. Again, I don't really think capes have a place with these uniforms, so I didn't put one in. Normally Tinya is a very put together, almost plain looking girl, but I thought that her rebellion from her mother would give her a little more of a wild streak, hence the slight scowl and the unkempt hair. I'd like to portray her as more thoughtful than we have sometimes seen her, but slow to overcome the "Alpha Cheerleader" personality that only someone of rich parentage can truly achieve.

- Crow T. Robot
#98134 07/29/08 11:44 AM
OP Offline
Oh, up next:
- Tyroc
- Tellus (Again, someone find Jorge and give him a hug and a beer for me!)
- Ayla
- Kinetix (who's costume is much harder to think of than I anticipated)
- Tasmia
- Jacques
- Echo
- Celeste Rockfish
- Kent Shakespeare

- Crow T. Robot
#98135 07/29/08 12:06 PM
OP Offline
I redesigned Mon-El's costume a little, to make it more her own rather than it looking like another version of Kara Zor-El's costume.

[Linked Image]

- Crow T. Robot
#98136 07/29/08 12:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like Dream Girl! I like Tinya's eyes but admit I'm not a fan of the ghost...it's fun in a PAC-MAN way. smile

I LOVE Supergirl!!!

#98137 07/29/08 01:04 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
"Phantom Girl" - Tinya Wazzo
The darker eyes I got from "Superboy's Legion", one of the best Elseworlds and a fantastic reimagining of the Legion.
Very cool. I loved that portrayal of her, kinda-sorta Indian (as in from India, not Native American) in coloration, but not really.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#98138 07/29/08 01:39 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Kinetix" - Zoe Saugin

I was having problems with Zoe's costume, because I was trying to convey the mutable nature of it. That is to say, That this is a picture of Zoe's costume _At Rest_. it covers her whole body so that she has that much material to work with when she begins to manipulate the fabric to suit whatever whim she is having at the moment. One of my favorite little quirks about the Reboot was how Zoe kept shifting her costume (before she got lobotomized, that is) and I wanted that aspect of her to carry over. the areas that are green adn gold aren't as seperated as they would be on other uniforms, because they meld into one another, so when she shifts them it appears seamless. It was hard, and I don't think I'm quite happy enough with the final result, but I always try to make the uniform as much an outfit as an extension of the personality of the person wearing it, and even moreso for Zoe.

- Crow T. Robot
#98139 07/29/08 02:44 PM
Honorary
Honorary
1. Does Kinetix shift her uniform into various densities or materials or whatever to use as a weapon? (example: her sleeves suddenly become armor plated or her top stretches to cover her mouth to stop poisonous gas or it changes color to blend into her surroundings) If this is true, I'm stealing the idea. (If that's not the original intention, we'll split the royalties)

2. Ayla? Is she Light Lass? or Lightning Lass? methinks you did that on purpose...

3. Any thoughts on a Gear? Computo? Dragonmage? Catspaw? Night Girl?

keep it up!

everything i like rules. everything you like is terrible.
#98140 07/29/08 03:15 PM
OP Offline
1. You jerk tongue . I was going to write a whole chapter on how, when her transuit rips in the vacuum near the moon, Zoe has a Eureka moment where she figures out that fashion isn't the only thing she could do with her outfit, and that thought process helps her evolve as a character. Thanks for ruining the suprise lol . But seriously, great minds think alike sometimes, and since you guessed it right we'll split 60/40 and you get the 60 smile .

2. Ayla is Light Lass....but isn't. Remember how I said I loved "Superboy's Legion"? Well I meant it tongue .

3. Gear, Computo, and Catspaw are member of the (extremely large) group of Legion Cadets that, if I ever even get that far, will act as kind of Superhero Irregulars. Dragonmage along with a Khund name Harlack act as Students/Attendants to the White Witch, but will grow into more important players and Night Girl...The Subs exist, but not in the Keith Giffen way you might expect...

- Crow T. Robot
#98141 07/30/08 08:03 PM
OP Offline
I was musing over this idea for my story, and, I thought "What the Hell?" and went ahead and threw together a rough draft which I'll clean up later. Credit for the base idea, however, goes again to Jorge, who made a Legion Cadet wearing Thanagarian garb. I just fiddled.

I give you Shikari Dawnstar, mutated Peacekeeping Officer of the mysterious and nomadic Thanagarian people....

[Linked Image]

Like it? smile

- Crow T. Robot
#98142 07/31/08 11:53 PM
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

"Lighter" - Ayla Ranzz

Tried to make a suit reminiscent of her SW6 suit with the color scheme of her pre-Magic Wars threads, blended with a different powerset. This Ayla has had her powers evolve on her, from lightning projection to light manipulation (an idea founded in Superboy's Legion, and that I just fell in love with). I added the 'rings' around her eyes to give a feeling of power; her abilities never really turn off and subsequiently 'spill' from her eyes.

- Crow T. Robot
#98143 08/01/08 12:03 AM
OP Offline
When I started this whole thing, I knew I wanted to include some of the characters from the 5YL storylines, and see what they would look like in the more organized and younger and happier Legion. In that mindframe, I give you:

[Linked Image]

"Neon" - Celeste Rockfish

Didn't have a base to work off of here costume wise, so I defaulted to a classic Superhero look. I've loved the Harlequin-style suits since I read the 90's appearances of Peter Cannon, and I thought such a suit with different greens would look great on Celeste. I added the stripe down the middle for another layer of alternating colors, and I really hope it isn't to busy.

I'll also be including Kent Shakespeare and Echo, and one Legionnaire I haven't mentioned. He was a really promising idea from the tailend of the DnA run that I was itching to play with, but designing him is turning out to be the biggest headache _yet_....

- Crow T. Robot
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pulsar
Pulsar
Arizona
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star