Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/27/24 08:18 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/27/24 08:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/27/24 08:13 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Some Mon-el news
#10152 10/14/06 05:11 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Cloak and Dagger:
I seem to be the only one who prefers the postboot's interpretatin of Mon-El, as Valor, "seeder of worlds" who has, in the far-flung future, come to be viewed as a god.

I just love that interpretation. He tries to be a hero and do the right thing, and all of a sudden, he's thrown into a future where everyone believes him to be a god.

The M'Onel name isn't my favorite, admittedly. I just think of the character as Valor, but I can accept Mon-El as well.
No, you are not alone, I agree with you. M'Onel was one of the better parts of the reboot, I much prefer him to the original version. I always thought that being seen as a god could have given rise to very interesting stories (how does a fundamentally good person deal with such a thing? how do others react when they realize that he is not a god after all?). I always thought that that made M'Onel very unique, at the very least. Unfortunately none of the postboot writers chose to explore that side of the character very much. That's one of the stories that I kept waiting for that never arrived.

#10153 10/14/06 06:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ditto. The only Lar I know is the "seeder of worlds" and I liked the idea. Seeing more folks look at him as a god would have made for soem interesting tales.

I like little to no Superman connections.

Just spouting off.
#10154 10/14/06 07:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The lack of a Superman connection/"seeder of worlds" were add-ons to an established character who was originally created as "Superboy's older brother."

The farther the creators take the characters from their origins the more they pale by comparison. Always build on what's been established and work from there.

The very idea of this character should have always been linked to Superman/Superboy. The same thing goes with the Legion, IMHO.

#10155 10/14/06 07:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That may be true for Lar Gand. I don't know. But the drastic changes made during the Silver Age suggest that's not always the case. (see: Green Lantern)

Just spouting off.
#10156 10/14/06 07:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Are you talking about Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, etc.?

In those cases the changes made were more accepted because they didn't re-invent the wheel. They made new characters (like the current Firestorm and Blue Beetle, etc.) to replace the old. Also, they didn't kill off the originals (unlike the previous mentioned characters). Too bad DC's PTB don't recognise these facts.

So, I agree that creating a Valor (not Lar Gand) who was a seeder of worlds/worshipped like a god would have been cool as long as he wasn't Mon-El and that Mon-El remained untouched.

I also think that everyone (fans/DC) would have been better off creating a Legion of Super-Heroes that was from the 40th century (or whenever) when they divorced Superman from the series. Avoid using Rokk Krinn, Imra Ardeen, Garth Ranzz, etc. and either use their successors or new characters like Gates.

#10157 10/14/06 07:57 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I didn't mind the seeder of worlds/god image, but I detested the name Valor. That's like calling someone Strong or Brave or Good Guy ... a name that says, "Hey! This is the Hero, in case you couldn't figure it out."

The name Mon-El had a charming and unique origin. It was derived, after all, from Monday and the El family name. Perhaps the biggest mystery is why he kept it after recovering from amnesia, but that, in itself, is part of the name's charm.

"M'Onel" was just a re-spelling (or re-punctuating) of the original name. I was so pleased to have it restored that I took its new meaning ("he who wanders") as my own.

I've come to the conclusion that whatever Lar's backstory is before he joined the Legion isn't as important to me as his presence in the Legion. He became not only Superboy's big brother, but, in a sense, the big brother of the entire team. This theme was carried over in the postboot, albeit in a different way. This theme to me is more essential the character than anything else.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#10158 10/14/06 09:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
anyone check this out here ...click on the Action Comics Annual.

#10159 10/15/06 07:00 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I used this forum recently to praise Mr. Kitson on his Mon-El art and, in response, he never intimated that my assumption re Mon's return to the pages of Legion was erroneous. He may be sworn to secrecy and thus nothing can be extrapolated from his message to me, but it is possible that the PTB recognize a selling point for this title when it hits them over their heads!
I also took the description of Episode 9 of the Tv series to further buttress the return of Mon to these pages, but the more I consider it, the more likely it seems that the person referred to in that preview is Dev-Em. Time will tell but, as Vee always says, we want Mon back!

#10160 10/16/06 02:38 PM
Deputy
Deputy
According to Geoff Johns at Newsarama the title of one of the stories in the Annual is "'Who is Clark Kent's Big Brother?'"

I wonder which story that is? laugh

If it means what I hope it means, good riddance to Valor and everything ever connected with that horrendous (imo) retcon/reboot. Welcome back, Mon-El, and your blue underpants!

Those unfamiliar with the Silver Age goodness of "Superboy's Big Brother" can read it here.
http://superman.ws/tales2/mon-el/1/

#10161 10/16/06 02:43 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Jeepers! I wonder if they'll have giant fire-breathing jack-in-the-boxes? wink

#10162 10/16/06 07:41 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[quote]Originally posted by Tromium:
According to Geoff Johns at Newsarama the title of one of the stories in the Annual is [b]"'Who is Clark Kent's Big Brother?'"

I wonder which story that is? laugh

If it means what I hope it means, good riddance to Valor and everything ever connected with that horrendous (imo) retcon/reboot. Welcome back, Mon-El, and your blue underpants!

Those unfamiliar with the Silver Age goodness of "Superboy's Big Brother" can read it here.
[/quote]]http://superman.ws/tales2/mon-el/1/[/QB][/QUOTE]

They have a version of the cover adorned with black & white checkerboards along the top and the titles to the stories superimposed on the artwork. Yup! You guessed it! Mon is back! BouncingBoy

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#10163 10/17/06 11:00 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You know I was a fan of the character. I didn't care if it was Mon-El, Valor, or Lar Gand. (though M'Onel i didn't care for)

What worries me about this Clark Kent's big brother stuff? You know Crisis was done for a reason. As a kid I couldn't touch a DC comic without getting confused. Sure Crisis made lots of mistakes but it fixed some things as well.

This fanboy reaction by DC writers to revert everything back without thinking what's really best for the character? I don't like it.

Mon-El is one of my faves. Clark Kent's big brother? ugh. I liked him as the savior, seeder of worlds, legend they made him in v4. Infact in v4 I thought he finally got some serious attention. ohwell. I was a fan of his before and I probably will be again. Though a teenage Mon-El I despise. smile

#10164 10/17/06 01:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Um, you know, he wasn't REALLY Clark Kent's big brother pre-crisis right? He was a brush salesman there to hit on Lana. (p.s. I know you do, just kidding)

I like the "seeder of world's," it made a Legion character special in the grand DC scheme of things as opposed to what all others were in any boot, just another character set. I didn't like the whiney character he bacame under DnA where pretty much anyone could kick his butt.

#10165 10/17/06 01:55 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I don't see why they couldn't combine the two versions of the character. He could seed the worlds prior to crash-landing on Krypton.

#10166 10/17/06 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
I like the "seeder of world's," it made a Legion character special in the grand DC scheme of things as opposed to what all others were in any boot, just another character set.
I agree. I was reading these issues around the same time that "Babylon 5" aired its subplot about G'Kar being revered as a prophet among his people, the Narn. The parallels were striking: Both Lar and G'Kar (note the similarity in names) were deified reluctantly, and both became wanderers to escape the pressures of their followers.

I also wish more had been done with Lar's plotline in the Legion. What would have happened if his secret became public? That would have been more interesting, I think, than turning him into the 31st century Superman.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#10167 02/01/07 12:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
MON MONTH! BITS!

#10168 02/07/07 05:37 PM
Active
Active
Given that Mon-El is in fact now back, let us see where they go.

Im with EME. I think an integration of all those aspects could work.

And for those of you that Havent read the latest issues of SatLoSH <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I wonder where they are going to go with this Last Son of Daxam route.</span></span>

-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,967
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tarik the Mute's Android
Tarik the Mute's Android
An undisclosed location
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star